Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Thedriftbadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Annoying diff noise

I have an annoying grinding/scraping noise coming from what sounds like my diff. I just installed it yesterday. It never made this noise with my old one. Its just a basic welded diff. It only makes the noise while i'm on the gas or when slowing down. If i take it out of gear or push inthe clutch it stops. I don't believe it's ever been apart, just welded and the cover put back on. I'm thinking it might just be worn or high mileage, but the sound is kind of annoying. I put 1.5 quarts of fluid in, till it came out of the fill hole. I don't know what else it could be other than it just being worn.... Anything else to check?
Thedriftbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Anyway to take a video?

For the noise to go away with clutch in/neutral would (to me) either mean it's not the diff, or it's a load dependent sound.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

It's definitely load dependant. I can get a video tomorrow. I'm not sure how well the sound will show up but i'll try.
I'm pretty sure it's the diff since it's the only thing i changed and it started doing it immediately
Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
Do you have a one-piece driveshaft? If so, this could be the issue- unbolt it from the diff & turn it 180* & bolt it back together... Sounds crazy but just may work. My drivetrain was pretty noisy when I switched to a VLSD & aluminum DS... this worked for me.

Without hearing it for myself, you should know that there very well may be a bit more noise in the drivetrain due to both rear wheels under load pretty much all the time with the diff welded and the clutch engaged... especially if you have urethane or solid bushings, pillow ball arm/rod mounts etc.

There is also something called the pinion bearing (?) or something to that effect in the diff that could maybe be causing it; but as you see by the "(?)" , I really have little/no clue there lol.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Hmm now that you mention it i do remeber hearing something about the driveshaft has to be in a certain position. I'm gonna have to look it up. I can understand a little noise from the rear but this is like this moaning scraping noise whenever i accelerate or slow down.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

I made a video but the sound didn't really show up very well. A better way to describe it is as a hissing noise. Like the noise you would hear if you unplugged a vacuum line. I have coilovers and adjustable arms in the back so maybe they just transfer more noise....
Does a welded diff make a noise? Lol. I can deal with the sound, i just want to make sure i'm not gonna have the diff lock up on me or something