Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
Slo_Slidewayz

Trader Rating: (0)
Slo_Slidewayz will become famous soon enoughSlo_Slidewayz will become famous soon enoughSlo_Slidewayz will become famous soon enoughSlo_Slidewayz will become famous soon enoughSlo_Slidewayz will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 Silvia headlight question... DOT?

I tried searching and could not find much info.

I have a silvia front end on my S13 and am wondering if there is a DOT Approved headlight I can use(aftermarket or whatever) or if there is a way I can fab something up so it will be DOT/SAE approved.

Thanks in advance
Slo_Slidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
JDM silvia head lights are NOT DOT approved....they were never in the U.S. and never recieved DOT approval, plus the cut-off is designed for rhd so mostly u will blind oncomming drivers.....there are write ups on how to modify using differnt projectors......most places that do inspection wont care of even notice....
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo_Slidewayz View Post
I tried searching and could not find much info.
I'll tell you right now. You won't find much info because most people don't know. Good for you for trying though.

Quote:
I have a silvia front end on my S13 and am wondering if there is a DOT Approved headlight I can use(aftermarket or whatever)
First, let me explain to you how the process works. I got slapped before so I'll try to be gentle.

The USDOT does not approve anything. The USDOT publishes a series of specification. Maufacturers self-certify that their product complies with DOT specifications.

If a manufacturer's product doesn't comply and the manufacturer self-certify anyway, if the DOT finds out the product gets yanked and the manufacturer gets a fine.

It's like the honor system with severe penalties if you get caught.

Second, any exterior light that has "DOT" or "SAE" stamped on the lens has been self-certified by the manufactured as DOT-compliant.

Check your lens. If you have the stamp on all your lights, you're good to go.

If you do not have the stamping, you have to find something that does. Otherwise, it's not legal.

The best way is to look at the part itself. And remember. Just because they self-certify doesn't mean the light is compliant. I remember a bunch of aftermarket Civic headlights getting recalled and the manufacturer got a huge fine.

Quote:
or if there is a way I can fab something up so it will be DOT/SAE approved
The best way is to stay with US-spec lights. Some Euro/JDM lights also have DOT/SAE stampings. I remember my new S13 Silvia corner lights from Courtesy having DOT/SAE written on the lens.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
PhilthyS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
PhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I think another problem is the height. The silvia headlights are too low to the ground, which is why that front end was never sold here.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilthyS13 View Post
I think another problem is the height. The silvia headlights are too low to the ground, which is why that front end was never sold here.
Headlight beam adjustment generally falls under state jurisdiction, although most states defer to DOT specs for beam pattern requirements.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
PhilthyS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
PhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I was referring to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment:

Table IV - Location of Required Equipment
Quote:
Headlamps
Surface measured from center of item on vehicle at curb weight:
Not less than 22 inches (55.9 cm) nor more than 54 inches (137.2 cm).
FMVSS

I think the center of the Silvia front end's headlamps are below 22 inches, therefore they were never DOT legal and even if you found housings stamped with the DOT, they would not be up to standard due to the height restrictions. Unless, of course, you put a lift kit on your s13.

There are also standards for cutoff in the above section.