Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
seto_s14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
seto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to seto_s14
clunk from welded diff

So currently I'm running a welded diff. Everytime I shift, there's a loud clunk coming from the rear once I give it gas. If I shift and don't give it gas, just kinda let it coast, it won't clunk. Also, I get this loud clunking around tight/slow corners in addition to the normal chirping of the tires.

I'm concerned because my car was originally automatic and ABS. When I got the 5 speed done, I have no idea whether they used the ABS driveshaft or not. Would this affect anything?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
louisdaboois
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
louisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
a welded diff is rough. some cases it also depends on how it was welded too. most people just weld the spider gears without taking it out ofthe pumpkin, doing such the heat of the welder can destroy the bearings and just cause the diff to crap out.
For second hand experience, I had a friend who ran a welded daily and they guy who did it for him just left it in the pumpkin and went to town with the welder, it immediately whined like no other, and made noises like rocks were being thrown around in the back. about 6 months later, the spider gears just detonated.
The loud clunk could just be the force of the welded trying to turn the wheels over when under load.
louisdaboois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Clearalbino
Zilvia Member

Clearalbino will become famous soon enoughClearalbino will become famous soon enoughClearalbino will become famous soon enough
yeah that loud clunk you hear around turns is just the general nature of the welded doing its job. As far as the clunking sound goes, it sounds like it may be shot bushing in the subframe or for the actual differential.
Clearalbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
seto_s14
Zilvia Member

seto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud of
the diff was taken out of the pumpkin, cleaned, and welded by max parts in san diego so i think the spider gears will be fine. thanks for the quick replies!
Old 04-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
got boost??
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
got boost?? has a spectacular aura aboutgot boost?? has a spectacular aura aboutgot boost?? has a spectacular aura aboutgot boost?? has a spectacular aura aboutgot boost?? has a spectacular aura aboutgot boost?? has a spectacular aura aboutgot boost?? has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
this really sounds like bad rear subframe bushings. friend of mine had the same problem. it also clunks wen downshifting also right? if so thats my guess. sounds just like his did

got boost?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
sleepinsilvia23
Zilvia Member

sleepinsilvia23 has a spectacular aura aboutsleepinsilvia23 has a spectacular aura aboutsleepinsilvia23 has a spectacular aura aboutsleepinsilvia23 has a spectacular aura aboutsleepinsilvia23 has a spectacular aura aboutsleepinsilvia23 has a spectacular aura aboutsleepinsilvia23 has a spectacular aura about
I just installed poly subframe bushings in my s14 and also got my diff welded and it also makes this loud noise when reversing or shifting weight or anything. But i know its not a bad noise haha.

You should check out your subframe and make sure everything with the install is correct.
sleepinsilvia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
seto_s14
Zilvia Member

so i guess the general consensus is subframe bushings. damn that's a bitch. would getting new inserts/collars make it better or worse?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
sleepinsilvia23
Zilvia Member

sleepinsilvia23 has a spectacular aura aboutsleepinsilvia23 has a spectacular aura aboutsleepinsilvia23 has a spectacular aura aboutsleepinsilvia23 has a spectacular aura aboutsleepinsilvia23 has a spectacular aura aboutsleepinsilvia23 has a spectacular aura aboutsleepinsilvia23 has a spectacular aura about
It will probably make it louder haha.
But whats your idea of better?
sleepinsilvia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
new bushings or collars will stop it from clunking..
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
emersonLP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
emersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to emersonLP
Also check the mounting of the diff. Lie under the car and push up on the diff to see if the diff itself is moving up and down.

Me- "what the f*ck did we do to my boost controller" Brandon-"I dunno?"
emersonLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
It's your subframe.

Proper way would be to install subframe bushings.

But you can fix it for the most part with subframe collars.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #12
seto_s14
Zilvia Member

by better i mean i just want the clunking to stop. i went under my car today and moving it vertically but it's really solid. even tried moving the diff with a jack and it wouldn't budge. i'll install new subframe bushings one of these weekends then. thanks guys

/thread
Old 04-17-2008, 02:05 AM   #13
Addicted2Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Addicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
It's your subframe.

Proper way would be to install subframe bushings.

But you can fix it for the most part with subframe collars.
10000000% agreeeeee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreansurfer View Post
zenki's are for poors and lames

with the exception of norm who is big ballin
FS:CUSCO,GREDDY,KA-Tparts
Addicted2Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:12 AM   #14
Flaco S14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Flaco S14 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
my car did the same i just installed Kazama sub frame spacers and presto no more clunking thumping noise
Flaco S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #15
SilviaSR20DET
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
SilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
just wondering, my tranny grinds sometimes if i shift when im turning at low speed, like i can feel the vibration from the rear end through the shifter. Is this normal for welded diffs?
SilviaSR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #16
supergoob
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
supergoob will become famous soon enoughsupergoob will become famous soon enoughsupergoob will become famous soon enoughsupergoob will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
let us know if the bushings fix your prob...im getting my diff welded in my convertible, and im looking to troubleshoot before i even start