Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat > LOUD NOISES

LOUD NOISES A place for political mudslinging, Pro/Anti legalization, gay marriage debate, Gun control rants, etc. If it's political, controversial, or hotly debated, it goes here. No regular Off-Topic stuff allowed. READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
Exclamation AMA urges review of marijuana prohibition

American Medical Association rethinking pot prohibition? | Raw Story

Quote:
The American Medical Association on Tuesday issued a cautious but historically significant call to change America's marijuana prohibition laws, urging a "review" of the drug's status as a Schedule I drug.

At a meeting in Houston, the AMA's House of Delegates adopted a new policy that calls for "marijuana's status as a federal Schedule I controlled substance be reviewed with the goal of facilitating the conduct of clinical research and development of cannabinoid-based medicines, and alternate delivery methods."

That does not mean the AMA supports the legalization or decriminalization of marijuana.

Schedule I drugs are those considered to have no medical benefit and to be harmful when used under any circumstances. As such, marijuana is currently grouped by the federal government with drugs like heroin and LSD. By comparison, cocaine and methamphetamines are classified as Schedule II drugs, which may have some clinical benefits when used in the proper circumstances. The AMA's stance could simply result in the rescheduling of marijuana as a controlled substance that has some medical benefit.

However, Aaron Houston, director of government relations for the Marijuana Policy Project, calls the move "historic" all the same, noting that it comes from "what has historically been America's most cautious and conservative major medical organization."
Story continues below...

"Marijuana's Schedule I status is not just scientifically untenable, given the wealth of recent data showing it to be both safe and effective for chronic pain and other conditions, but it's been a major obstacle to needed research," he said in a statement.

"It's been 72 years since the AMA has officially recognized that marijuana has both already-demonstrated and future-promising medical utility," said medical student Sunil Aggarwal in a press statement from Americans for Safe Access. Aggarwal has been spearheading the effort by the AMA's youth wing to change the organization's attitude towards marijuana.

ASA government affairs director Caren Woodson pointed out that the American College of Physicians, the country's second-largest medical group, called for a review of marijuana's status last year.

"The two largest physician groups in the US have established medical marijuana as a health care issue that must be addressed," Woodson said. "Both organizations have underscored the need for change by placing patients above politics."

In its report (PDF), the AMA stated:

Results of short term controlled trials indicate that smoked cannabis reduces neuropathic pain, improves appetite and caloric intake especially in patients with reduced muscle mass, and may relieve spasticity and pain in patients with multiple sclerosis. However, the patchwork of state-based systems that have been established for .medical marijuana. is woefully inadequate in establishing even rudimentary safeguards that normally would be applied to the appropriate clinical use of psychoactive substances. The future of cannabinoid-based medicine lies in the rapidly evolving field of botanical drug substance development, as well as the design of molecules that target various aspects of the endocannabinoid system. To the extent that rescheduling marijuana out of Schedule I will benefit this effort, such a move can be supported.

The AMA's move is the latest in a series of small but significant shifts in attitudes towards the liberalization of marijuana policies.

Last month, conservative columnist George F. Will said that the US is "probably in the process" of legalizing marijuana, pointing to the Obama administration's new policy to no longer raid medical marijuana clinics that are legal under state law, so long as those state laws are being observed. (Though one California-based US attorney disputes that there has been any change in policy.)

Additionally, California is currently debating a proposal to decriminalize marijuana. Massachusetts decriminalized marijuana in a state ballot last year.

And recent polls show that support for decriminalization of marijuana has reached a record high in the United States, with some 44 percent of Americans now in favor of reducing or eliminating criminal penalties for possession of the herb.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
This is pretty big. I wonder how the government is going to respond. I am curious as to the medical benefits of the category II drugs.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by future240 View Post
This is pretty big. I wonder how the government is going to respond. I am curious as to the medical benefits of the category II drugs.
we're not going to see much more on the federal level from the obama administration. if we get another democrat in, though, who knows.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
VROOOM
Post Whore!

VROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfection
Quote:
im thinking cocaine could be a local anesthetic. maybe speed for ADD? not really sure
VROOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
BustedS13
Post Whore!

amphetamines are used for ADHD, yeah.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
we're not going to see much more on the federal level from the obama administration. if we get another democrat in, though, who knows.
Good point if we get a republican in, y'all think it will be reversed?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Quote:
Good point if we get a republican in, y'all think it will be reversed?
of course. liberal/dem, conservative/repub. that's just how it works.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
of course. liberal/dem, conservative/repub. that's just how it works.
I know that, I guess a better way to say it would have been do you think the conservatives would put the clamps back on or leave it alone. With professioanl organizations and states backing a reclassification or decriminalization of it then perhaps when they get back into office they won't go back to how it was.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
VROOOM
Post Whore!

VROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfection
Quote:
amphetamines are used for ADHD, yeah.
ADHD is sometimes treated with stimulants, so maybe meth?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Quote:
I know that, I guess a better way to say it would have been do you think the conservatives would put the clamps back on or leave it alone. With professioanl organizations and states backing a reclassification or decriminalization of it then perhaps when they get back into office they won't go back to how it was.
i'd imagine they'd have feds back on dispensaries and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VROOOM View Post
ADHD is sometimes treated with stimulants, so maybe meth?
Quote:
Methamphetamine is medically used under the brand name Desoxyn for the following conditions:
Methamphetamine is usually not prescribed for the above conditions unless other stimulants, such as methylphenidate and dextroamphetamine, are either insufficient or causing the patient intolerable side effects.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
Future240
Future Moderator

Whaaaaat?? They give meth to fat people and kids who need to chill out, wow.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Great news, we are getting closer to actually making a difference in america and the economy. We and they just need to keep pushing this and keep bringing great useful facts to the table. There is no way ppl can still be keeping there back turned on the truth. Thank you busteds13 for sharing this news
S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #13
heavenboundkevin
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
heavenboundkevin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
first its bud, then it will be ecstasy, then lsd, then shrooms, then acid.

i wonder what art/intelligence/philosophy/cultures/world relations will be like in another 30-40 yrs?
heavenboundkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenboundkevin View Post

i wonder what art/intelligence/philosophy/cultures/world relations will be like in another 30-40 yrs?
shrooms maybe but I don't see the other hard drugs goin this route.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #15
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Quote:

and if we legalize gay marriage, people are going to start marrying sheep!
AND FUCKING THEM
Old 11-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #16
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
Quote:
Magic mushrooms do have medicinal benefits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
There have been calls for medical investigation of the use of synthetic and mushroom-derived psilocybin for the development of improved treatments of various mental conditions, including chronic cluster headaches,[19] following numerous anecdotal reports of benefits. There are also several accounts of psilocybin mushrooms sending both obsessive-compulsive disorders ("OCD") and OCD-related clinical depression (both being widespread and debilitating mental health conditions) into complete remission immediately and for up to months at a time, compared to current medications which often have both limited efficacy[20] and frequent undesirable side-effects.
Granted, that came from Wikipedia, but, still. lol
LSD has potential medicinal uses as well.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #17
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
I think they used to use Meth for asthma too.

I think the AMA wants the gov. to make marijuana schedule II so they can do more testing on it, there are medical benefits and if they could do more legitimate tests I bet American pharmaceuticals could synthesize a drug to replace recreational pot with THC that is better at directly targeting specific treatment goals.

Then we don't have to legalize marijuana and stoners can go STFU in their grandma's basement.
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #18
allntrlundrgrnd
Nissanaholic!

allntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfection
Pretty sad its classified as
Quote:
no medical benefit and to be harmful when used under any circumstances
and its nearly 2010.

quick ones i tell ya
allntrlundrgrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:14 AM   #19
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicecreamdan View Post
I think they used to use Meth for asthma too.

I think the AMA wants the gov. to make marijuana schedule II so they can do more testing on it, there are medical benefits and if they could do more legitimate tests I bet American pharmaceuticals could synthesize a drug to replace recreational pot with THC that is better at directly targeting specific treatment goals.

Then we don't have to legalize marijuana and stoners can go STFU in their grandma's basement.
Grandma's boy what lol
Old 11-17-2009, 03:52 AM   #20
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
Quote:
and if we legalize gay marriage, people are going to start marrying sheep!
AND FUCKING THEM
Its true, we've started in Canada. But some of us are a little more hardcore, and look for Bears.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #21
drift_limo
Zilvia Junkie

drift_limo is a well-known jackass
Send a message via AIM to drift_limo
Quote:
Originally Posted by soreballz View Post
Magic mushrooms do have medicinal benefits.

Granted, that came from Wikipedia, but, still. lol
LSD has potential medicinal uses as well.

WTF!!???

never heard that b4 I thought mushrooms killd you from the inside bc its fungus? and LSD makes you go crazy after a while.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #22
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift_limo View Post

WTF!!???

never heard that b4 I thought mushrooms killd you from the inside bc its fungus? and LSD makes you go crazy after a while.
Never heard this. I can honestly say iv had both. I still am alive I dont have any fungus growing out of my ears. I sure your stomach acids brake it all down. And for LSD They say after 10 hits your tech "insane". But the guy that invented lsd took it non stop and lived to 102 and died of natural causes.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #23
Deftec
Zilvia Junkie

Deftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-known
Shrooms poison you.

As for the LSD, I've heard if you take 3 hits, you're considered"clinically insane" during you trip.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #24
VROOOM
Post Whore!

LOL, i dont believe you are insane after "X" amount of hits of Acid. i know people that have done ALOT of acid are perfectly normal.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #25
HalveBlue
Zilvia FREAK!

HalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond repute
So much misinformation in this thread.

Unfortunately, all these rumors and "street knowledge", tend to obfuscate the issue and have the potential to do great harm.

In my opinion, the "War on Drugs" and has done more harm than good.

I'm a firm supporter of harm reduction efforts and believe that honest and upfront information is far more effective at reducing/eliminating the problems associated with drug use than the governments moralistic "drugs are bad, mmmkay" attitude.

So......

LSD: Lysergic acid diethylamide (Acid) was first synthesized by Albert Hofmann in the late '30s while working for Sandoz Laboratories (a subsidiary of Novartis, one of the largest pharmaceutical corporations in the world). Hofmann was at the time researching potential medicinal uses for ergot, a fungus that occurs naturally and affects rye crops.

For years, the discovery LSD was considered medically insignificant and no further research was conducted. Sometime in the early to mid 1940's Hofmann conducted a series of self-experiments and discovered the intense psychological effects associated with LSD.

Although Hoffman was an ardent supporter of LSD, he probably didn't use LSD "non-stop" as someone pointed out. Hofmann, maintained that LSD had legitimate potential for use in psychotherapy (for which it was used in clinical trials throughout the 50's and 60's), and was quite distraught with the haphazard, recreational use advocated by the counter-culture.

LSD works by binding to serotonin receptors in the brain. Serotonin is used to control mood, sleep, appetite, and digestive functions.

LSD, is not physically addictive and while extremely potent (LSD doses are measured in micro grams (1/1,000,000 of a gram); most other drugs are measured in terms of grams or milligrams) there have been no verified cases of a human dying from an LSD overdose.

Most injuries and deaths attributed to LSD use are due to perceptional and behavioral modification (i.e. a perceived ability to fly which results in people jumping from buildings).

Because of its ability to severely alter the psychological states of users, LSD has sometimes been linked to psychosis in a very small numbers of users. It should be pointed out however, that this phenomena has not been well studied and has in no way been clinically proven; regardless, the occurrence of psychosis is extremely small and should be considered anormal.

Mushrooms: Not all mushrooms are psychoactive, and a lot of mushrooms are toxic.

Psychoactive mushrooms (Magic Mushrooms, shrooms) naturally occur throughout the world and have been used by humans for millenia. Psychoactive mushrooms are non-toxic, thus there is no risk of overdose.

shrooms contain psilocybin which, upon ingestion, is converted into psilocin. Psilocin, like LSD, mimics serotonin, and binds to the serotonin receptors in the brain. Serotonin is primarily found in the human digestive tract where it regulates the movement of the digestive organs (which helps explain the nausea and stomach cramps associated with mushroom use).

So, no, mushrooms do not poison you, the fungus does not grow in your body. Also, there is no threshold for LSD use that would classify someone as legally insane.

Disclaimer: LSD and Psilocybin mushrooms are considered Shedule I drugs under the Controlled Substance Act. Use and possession of these substances is considered illegal and may result in jail time.

Additionally, although neither substance is considered toxic, the changes in perception and behavior may increase the risk of injury or death.
HalveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #26
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Thats fantastic news the AMA is finally taking their heads out of their asses and pushing for a review of the benefits of marijuana....Its really up to the state if they want marijuana to be legal or not though...
For Arizona we will be voting Nov. 2010 on the issue.

YouTube - The Union. The Business Behind Getting High | Part 1
^here is a very interesting documentary behind why pot was made illegal in the first place. Its only part 1 of 11 I believe... so you have to search youtube for the other parts if you are interested.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #27
dert420sx
Zilvia Junkie

dert420sx has a brilliant futuredert420sx has a brilliant futuredert420sx has a brilliant futuredert420sx has a brilliant futuredert420sx has a brilliant futuredert420sx has a brilliant futuredert420sx has a brilliant futuredert420sx has a brilliant futuredert420sx has a brilliant futuredert420sx has a brilliant futuredert420sx has a brilliant future
here's the full version.

The Union
dert420sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #28
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walperstyle View Post
Its true, we've started in Canada. But some of us are a little more hardcore, and look for Bears.
This shit had me rolling.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #29
sacco sideways
BANNED

sacco sideways is an unknown quantity at this point
closer and closer....
sacco sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #30
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to irax
Synthetic THC is already available and it doesn't work that is the problem. Though if they make it in an inhailent form like the meds for asma it works a little better but its still a fucking joke compared to the THC affects from outdoor grown weed.