Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat > LOUD NOISES

LOUD NOISES A place for political mudslinging, Pro/Anti legalization, gay marriage debate, Gun control rants, etc. If it's political, controversial, or hotly debated, it goes here. No regular Off-Topic stuff allowed. READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Old 12-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Trader Rating: (0)
kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
"Japs" acceptable slur?

Why is it still socially acceptable to call the Japanese "Japs"? We don't call Germans krauts or Mexicans spiks. I live in an area with a higher than normal concentration of both Vietnam vets and south east Asians and I never here some old timer utter the word gook.

What gives?
Old 12-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
g35gabby
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
g35gabby is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I hear all of that and a lot more at work, at home, and everywhere else.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
cc4usmc
Post Whore!

Location: Formerly Elk Grove/the916/95758/NorCal - Now teh 970
Trader Rating: (19)
cc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I'd like to know is why people still feel it's necessary to be offended by words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s141996 View Post
is this exhaust california friendly? thnx lmk
cc4usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
yetijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gook,spik, and kraut are KNOWN derogatory terms (to most people) whereas "jap" is just Japanese without the "anese". It's a product of the ever growing laziness of us whitefolk lol.
yetijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc4usmc View Post
I'd like to know is why people still feel it's necessary to be offended by words.
zooooooooooooom on da yamaha
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I think in Australia, they use Jap all the time.. like jap spec skyline etc

it is kinda ugly though when i see asian-americans slang the n word all the time to each other
Old 12-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
Im not sure. To be completely honest it bugs me a little when i hear it, similar probably to how it may bug somebody when called a nigger. The word nigger was originally used in neutral context, and was simply based on the latin word for black, niger. Over the years it adopted a negative or condescending association. Same with Jap, it was just shortened for convenience but it may bother some people. Personally i won't use it unless one day my laziness outweighs my decency or respect for another person.
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
WanganRunner
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
WanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't really think it's socially acceptable, whenever I've heard anyone use the term most people recoil the same way they would for any other racial slur.

WanganRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Tom25666
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Tom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
its weird how "jew" almost seems like a dirty word now since it gets used as an insult so often. i do think people are too sensitive though. i don't give a shit if you call me a cracker but i know most people that did would make a big deal if i called them a "whatever the case may be" in return
Old 12-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
cc4usmc
Post Whore!

Location: Formerly Elk Grove/the916/95758/NorCal - Now teh 970
cc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0apgun View Post
zooooooooooooom on da yamaha
no hablar what you speakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by s141996 View Post
is this exhaust california friendly? thnx lmk
cc4usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
exactly, racial slurs used to bother me when I was younger
but stereotypes exist for a reason
I'm very glad I don't hang out with sensitive/pc people

actions matter

many of my friends say the most insensitive shit ever but they're also the
first to come help me when I need a hand and vice versa
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #12
sw20>>s14
Post Whore!

sw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to sw20>>s14
being desensitized is totally different from being a narrow minded bigot...
Old 12-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
no hablar what you speakin
Translation: I full heartedly agree with your sentiments mentioned in your former post.
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Just wondering if any white people actually get offended by any names...

I know I don't. Don't know anybody that does, actually.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
From experience, you're right Brian
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
I think it all depends on its used and context. I lived in japan for 4 yrs and like stated already, most foreigner say jap as a shortened way of saying japanese.

Now, I've also sat thru a briefing of a WWII vet who served in Phillipines. When he said the word Jap, you knew he meant it with disdain and prejudice.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #17
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #18
jesse_s13
Nissanaholic!

jesse_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
/thread
Old 12-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
if someone called me a kraut I might just die of laughter
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #20
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetijeff View Post
Gook,spik, and kraut are KNOWN derogatory terms (to most people) whereas "jap" is just Japanese without the "anese".
I agree.

I just asked my Japanese Wife if the Word "Jap" Offended her. She said it didnt bother her or care. She gets more offended if ppl call her Chinese or any other Asian ethnicity.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #21
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

Yeah, doesnt bother me at all. Someone calls me a honkey, cracker or whater, I dont give a shit.

Jap is just short for Japanese, like Rob is short for ROBERT
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #22
illvialuver
Post Whore!

illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
I agree.

I just asked my Japanese Wife if the Word "Jap" Offended her. She said it didnt bother her or care. She gets more offended if ppl call her Chinese or any other Asian ethnicity.

She gets more affended by being called Chinese, well now we cant say Chinese anymore. Damn.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #23
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

We are to busy apologizing too and being offended for all the colored people of the world.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #24
illvialuver
Post Whore!

hahha yeah right.

"I don't take too kindly to people that don't take too kindly"
Old 12-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #25
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayuaddict View Post
Im not sure. To be completely honest it bugs me a little when i hear it, similar probably to how it may bug somebody when called a nigger. The word nigger was originally used in neutral context, and was simply based on the latin word for black, niger. Over the years it adopted a negative or condescending association. Same with Jap, it was just shortened for convenience but it may bother some people. Personally i won't use it unless one day my laziness outweighs my decency or respect for another person.
If it's so offense, they why do they use it all the time? Personally, I think its just an excuse.

"OMFG You offended me!!!" And this applies to the vast majority of people whom get offended at the drop of the hat.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #26
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
I get offended when I get called gook or chink...I aint chinese muffo!!!

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #27
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
If it's so offense, they why do they use it all the time? Personally, I think its just an excuse.

"OMFG You offended me!!!" And this applies to the vast majority of people whom get offended at the drop of the hat.
That is a part of black culture that outsiders just can't see. After 200 years of being beaten down with a word they took it as their own and by owning it so completely you are scared to say it in the wrong company.

It's theirs and you can't have it.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #28
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
That is a part of black culture that outsiders just can't see. After 200 years of being beaten down with a word they took it as their own and by owning it so completely you are scared to say it in the wrong company.

It's theirs and you can't have it.
That or they just love to throw temper tantrums and call people "Racists" at the drop of the hat.

As for slavery, really? That ended 150 years ago in America and the whole "civil" rights movement happend almost 50 years ago. Black Americans are not the only "peoples" to have even been slaves - and in fact slavery still exists today.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #29
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

It's not about slavery at all and to repeat myself for the gagilianth time you* just don't get it.

*not you in particular, you as in america at large
Old 12-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #30
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

TougeLove is an unknown quantity at this point
im white*

I had a black woman call me a cracker in a negative manner. I pulled her aside and let her know that the slaves had used this term "cracker" to refer to the owner who cracked the whip.

so by calling me cracker, she is referring to me as the master. she got pissed and left.

if i hear someone use jap i would get offended because i only hear it to offend a japanese person.
TougeLove is offline   Reply With Quote