Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
*PLZ HALP!* S14 Power Window/Harness Identification

Hey Russ (and anyone else that might know ) -

So I've got my S14 - it's got a mish-mash of different harnesses (it's a 1995, but seems to have a kouki interior harness, and used to have a kouki engine/engine harness) - because of that I've removed most of the body harness(es). I'm currently troubleshooting the power window system. When I "hardwire" the motor to +12v, window goes up/down correctly, etc, but the switch doesn't work because I'm missing some crucial part/wiring.

Here's what I've got - inside the door, this is the only free plug:

I'd imagine this is the power/ground/etc coming from the window amp/switch... But a 1995 window amp doesn't plug into that, and this is what the back of my switch looks like:

So now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what version the first plug (in the door) comes from, and need to know whether I should get a different switch or what. I've never dealt with S14 interior stuff before, and would like to avoid wiring my own harness for this (but wouldn't mind if someone has a pinout for my switch).

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
That plug above is the window switch. For the passenger side. Why is it on the driver side?

The 96-98 door harnesses are all the same for the driverside, the 95s will differ in two key areas:

1) Extra plug for the window amp, comes off the harness about midway on the door and goes up, plugs in near the door handle.

2) If it's an SE model you'll have a 4pin gray plug towards the rear of the door, near the latch, the other side of the harness has a gray covering on the wiring. This is the anti-theft plug for arm/disarm/tamper from the key cylinder. The door lock actuator will also have two additional small gauge wires in it if it's a 95. Later models don't have these at all unless it's a rare 96 SE with remote keyless alarm. 97-98s won't have it at all.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
So the 6 pin in the first picture (multi-colored leads) is supposed to be in the passenger door? That could explain some things.

The car was originally a SE, but who knows what car the body harness came from. I'll take a look inside the passenger door for window amp plugs lol.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 10-31-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
So the 6 pin in the first picture (multi-colored leads) is supposed to be in the passenger door? That could explain some things.

The car was originally a SE, but who knows what car the body harness came from. I'll take a look inside the passenger door for window amp plugs lol.
Yes. Weird shit. Send pics of the other door when you get them.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:58 PM   #5
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Thanks to Russ's help, I was able to identify my problem. Instead of sourcing a '95 power window switch and then having to use the notoriously bad '95 amp, I made my own harness/wiring for the '96+ switch.

These were the smallest female spade terminals I could find that would accept a 14ga wire, and they ended up working out fine.

I ran 1/8" heat shrink over the crimp and all the way down to the bottom of the connector, just to be safe:

Ended up using 6 wires - +12V (25A fused) DC, ground (both red 14ga), and two wires for each of the window motors (black 16GA). It's a tight fit in there.

Because I don't have a passenger side switch, I looped the 6 pin passenger side connector pins coming from the drivers side, going to the motor (no pic). Also retained the rest of the door harness (for power windows and door locks).