Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
DriftinAndy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
DriftinAndy is making a name for him/her selfDriftinAndy is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to DriftinAndy
!!Questions About Head Upgrade, KA-t builders help!!

I got a few questions about upgrading my KA stock head. My car is in a shop right now the 1st and 2nd cylinders are EF'D up, i want to upgrade it so i can install a turbo later on. I want to keep it as a dialy driver, so i just want to have about 240-320hp. Im already going to port and polish the head. So my question is... What can i do to the head to upgrade it now so i can install a turbo later?? Any info on type or brands of cams,valves (stock or oversized) etc...
I never built a turbo'd car, so I dont have any experiance on building an engine for a turbo. I know there are some other things to do when i install a turbo, cuz 240-320 is a pretty wide range. Ill just tweek it later when i get a chance for the turbo.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Pacman
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Pacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A lot of the aftermarket cams need to have the head clearanced for the bigger cams. They remove metal somwhere for fitment. 5-angle valve grind with oversized valves would help breathing. Search KA valves on google and you'll find what I'm talking about. If you are the one port and polishing make sure to flow bench the head. If you don't know what you're doing you can remove to much and have ill-effects or have unequal flows between ports/cylinders.
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
number80
Leaky Injector

number80 is making his/her stupidity well-knownnumber80 is making his/her stupidity well-knownnumber80 is making his/her stupidity well-knownnumber80 is making his/her stupidity well-known
I'm building my setup too but I'm going to leave the head stock. Many people have made over 400hp on stock heads, some even with stock cams. I say with you only wanting to make 320hp just leave it stock and spend the money on something else.
number80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
If you are trying to turbo the ka, ka-t.org is a good place for info. The whole forum is dedicated to it.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:25 AM   #5
DriftinAndy
Leaky Injector

DriftinAndy is making a name for him/her selfDriftinAndy is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via Yahoo to DriftinAndy
thanks for the info guys,..my buddy was telling me about letting it breath easier by porting it,..hes taking it to a machine shop to get it done, so yea i have know idea on doing that type of work...
Old 04-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #6
Addicted2Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Addicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
If your goal is 240-320hp.
I would put that money towards the block instead of the head.

The piston rings are the main weak point in KA's when turboing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreansurfer View Post
zenki's are for poors and lames

with the exception of norm who is big ballin
FS:CUSCO,GREDDY,KA-Tparts
Addicted2Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
98s14inaz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftinAndy View Post
...so i just want to have about 240-320hp...
That's it? You can do that easily with the stock head, s13 cams, and some fresh valve seals. Spend your money on the bottom end, fuel, and engine management. P n' P wouldn't hurt though.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:43 AM   #8
fromxtor
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
fromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fromxtor Send a message via Yahoo to fromxtor
^truth

Forged pistons, rods, ARP HS, new bearings, gaskets you should be good. Stock head would be fine for your goals, but I would get a 3 angle valve job, and make sure your valvetrain is still within tolerences.