Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:22 AM   #1
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
'96 Type X - Ichiba 5lug - ABS - What Rotors?

After looking up a bunch of shit on different forums I've come to the conclusion that no one is talking from experience. It's hard to return things you buy from YAJ so I figured I'd ask here:

I have a 1996 Type X that's factory 4lug. I'm not upgrading the brakes, but I'm swapping to 5lug (Ichiba) and I want to know what rotors to use.

Apparently getting rotors re-drilled here isn't so common, and you would think a version of 180SX rotors in 5H would be listed but they aren't. They're all 4H.

I can't use the USDM ones because from what I've seen the JDM ones are a little bigger.

Anyone care to chime in? A friend of mine suggested that the NA S14 ABS rotors would be the best bet. I just don't want to be stuck with paperweights.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
s14 SE rotors will work with your s13 brakes provided your 180sx doesnt have ABS
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #3
Jefro240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Jefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'd look into the euro 200sx also as it apparently has 280x22mm front rotors which are the same size as the type x etc.

Another option would be Z32 front rotors which are 280x26 or 280x30. So you could get the 26mm set & have them turned down 4mm as a worst case solution.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
dizzariot
Post Whore!

dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB25GUY View Post
s14 SE rotors will work with your s13 brakes provided your 180sx doesnt have ABS
It has ABS. I'm leaving it in for now but I can always just delete...doesn't the Ichiba hub kit delete the ABS anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefro240 View Post
I'd look into the euro 200sx also as it apparently has 280x22mm front rotors which are the same size as the type x etc.

Another option would be Z32 front rotors which are 280x26 or 280x30. So you could get the 26mm set & have them turned down 4mm as a worst case solution.
Getting any sort of work done on rotors isn't common here. I'm trying to find a direct fit. What trim 200SX do you suggest? In Japan the turbo cars have different rotors. 200SX w/ABS and turbo?
Old 06-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Bump. No one knows...fuck my life...
Old 06-27-2017, 12:15 AM   #6
dizzariot
Post Whore!

I realize I'm the one actually asking but I'm dumbfounded that no one knows lol.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Jefro240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Jefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
I realize I'm the one actually asking but I'm dumbfounded that no one knows lol.
It's actually pretty simple. Most people who switch to 5 lug also upgrade the brakes vs wanting to keep the stockers. And in north america, if for some reason you did want to keep the stock brakes you simply get 5 lug rotors from a later model s14 etc as the brakes are the same.

I find it hard to believe that no one in Japan has a brake lathe. Especially a proper automotive service shop, or dealer for example.

I have no idea what trim model 200SX you would want to look for as I'm unfamiliar with exactly what brakes they got with which model etc etc... But apparently they are the same style 280x22mm rotor that the 180sx has up front.

Another option is re-drilling 4 lug rotors to 5 lug. People do this quite often. Lay them on top of each other hub - hub etc, find a common hole between the 2 & install a nut/bolt to secure it. Mark the other hole locations & drill em out.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefro240 View Post
It's actually pretty simple. Most people who switch to 5 lug also upgrade the brakes vs wanting to keep the stockers. And in north america, if for some reason you did want to keep the stock brakes you simply get 5 lug rotors from a later model s14 etc as the brakes are the same.

I find it hard to believe that no one in Japan has a brake lathe. Especially a proper automotive service shop, or dealer for example.

I have no idea what trim model 200SX you would want to look for as I'm unfamiliar with exactly what brakes they got with which model etc etc... But apparently they are the same style 280x22mm rotor that the 180sx has up front.

Another option is re-drilling 4 lug rotors to 5 lug. People do this quite often. Lay them on top of each other hub - hub etc, find a common hole between the 2 & install a nut/bolt to secure it. Mark the other hole locations & drill em out.
That's the problem: I'm not in Norh America. I found a list of all rotor sizes and they vary depending on what region your car was meant for. The rears never change but the fronts are different. In the end I went with S14 NA fronts and the overall thickness was still 8mm over the stock 180SX size.

I'm just as surprised as you that redrilling rotors isn't a common thing out here. I asked two different shops that specialize in our 'type' of cars. They said it wasn't common but could be done, then redacted that last part and said it was unsafe since it 'compromises the integrity of the disc.'