Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #31
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by G240 View Post
What I'm saying is that Rays manufactures wheels for professionals, who road race and require high end wheels needed for the rigors of that profession. They aren't making wheels for the average consumer such as you and I, there is no money in us. The bulk of their money is coming from Race Teams and Auto Manufactures that use their product. That money far exceeds their cost in research, design and the production of their wheels. We as a consumer don't support that to the extent that you feel we do.

You also have to consider that Rays has a manufacturing process in place. It’s the same process used for each wheel. It's not like they are recreating a new process each time they make another wheel. The process doesn't change, thats being cost effective. The design does and they test to make sure that the design meets the standard set by the professional, again not you or I

90% of the people on this forum do not require that level of quality and to suggest that it is needed, required by every person who owns a 240 is foolish. I don't drift, I don't road race, I don't need legit $2K-$3K wheels to take me to and from work or to Wal-Mart during the weekends.

Food for thought, if Rays really had a problem with company's knocking off their design, why don’t they sick their legal hounds on that company? It is a copy right infringement after all. More than likely Rays sold the design to someone else to make knock-offs. WIN-WIN says me.

Cheers!
G.
Cliffnotes: He's poor
Old 01-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #32
G240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
G240 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
while you are fully entitled to your opinion, you must realize that motorsports is a test-bed, not a money maker. you think race teams pay retail for the wheels they get??? highly unlikely. usually there is a sponsorship deal in place. the average consumer provides the bulk of the manufacturers income. while i understand your desire to maximize the distance that your dollar goes, buying bottom-shelf wheels is not the answer. CLEARLY you don't want to spend $2-3k on a set of wheels, but a set of gram lights is now in the $15-1600 range, rpf1's can be found in the $1k range, fn01-r also in the $1k range.

once again, the issue is with your lack of desire to purchase a quality product.

as far as the legality issue, that is an entire other thread altogether, but the long and short of it is its very difficult to sue a company in another country that is infringing on a domestic patent/trademark/copyright. (especially if the copier is in china, they give none fucks about knocking off protected goods)
Who are you to say what is acceptable or not? I can guarantee you that my Varrstoens will last me for years. To me that's plenty of quality. You can't put a blanket on the issue of knock-off or no knock-offs based on a drifter mentality. You are hard on your car, and therefore you want to make sure that nothing fails on you. But for the rest of us, there isn't a need for such a high standard. There isn't a need for YOUR standard. So why are you trying to impose YOUR standard on the average owner who isn't going to put their car through the same stress you do yours?

And while I can see your point as motorsports being a test bed, racing isn't free and there is a lot of money being exchanged.

I think we've beat the horse dead today.

LOL!

Cheers!
G.
G240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #33
G240
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Cliffnotes: He's poor
My CPA says other wise. But nice try.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #34
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Trying to justify these wheels makes you poor.

Now go tend to your cattle big baller.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #35
G240
Zilvia Junkie

I still don't believe you have a 240 Zar.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #36
statusone

Trader Rating: (0)
statusone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
technically the real company's cannot enforce the copyright laws, they are only valid within the territory of copyright. So if Rays Engineering, Work, Volk, etc. copyrighted in Japan, then fake wheels can be created in china and easily sold in Canada, much like fake HKS blow off valves.

I find that each person is entitled to their own wheel "Opinion", they can be just like shoes... Some are cheap, some are expensive, some will be weak, some will be strong.. Some will perform, and others will not.

Most if not all wheels must pass some sort of ISO certification for quality of materials, manufacture, and engineering. If not ANY company risks heavy heavy law suits for a failed rim without any certification.

Anyway, happy wheel shopping!
statusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #37
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
LOL zar drives a moped, with rays wheels.

he can talk all the shit he wants about broke or cheap people, and you are obviously one of the 2.

Give em a transvestite analogy zar.

If we went by all you fake wheel peoples logic, there wouldnt even be aftermarket wheels and we would all be rolling on steelies. I mean if all you car about is that your car has wheels on it why spend any money to begin with? stick to your stock wheels.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #38
Taniguchi_Is_#1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
Taniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
this wheel company doesn't even have a website. you think they would pay for ISO9001/ISO14001/TS16949 certs?

srsly?
Taniguchi_Is_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #39
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I just wish people weren't so embarrassed to post up the aftermath of inferior products.
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #40
G240
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Trying to justify these wheels makes you poor.

Now go tend to your cattle big baller.
So by your logic trying to justify expensive wheels makes you rich?
Old 01-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #41
G240
Zilvia Junkie

You guys can have at it. I makes me no difference in the grand scheme of things. I like these wheels and the ones i own.

Thank you Brndck for the intelligent conversation today. While we might have our own personal views on this industry and the cars we drive and our own sense of style I do appreciate the discussion.

G.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #42
chuki.s13.coupe.
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
chuki.s13.coupe. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeBHR View Post
LOL zar drives a moped, with rays wheels.

he can talk all the shit he wants about broke or cheap people, and you are obviously one of the 2.

Give em a transvestite analogy zar.
Quote:

As I said time and time again, trying to compare knockoffs vs the real deal is like trying to compare a supermodel to a transvestite.
message length.
chuki.s13.coupe. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #43
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniguchi_Is_#1 View Post
this wheel company doesn't even have a website. you think they would pay for ISO9001/ISO14001/TS16949 certs?

srsly?
HIGH-END RACING CONTENTS = REBS

But yeah, these are still inexpensive china wheels (Taiwan specifically). They don't even try to hide it, it even says so on their website.
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #44
Wake
Premium Member

Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
You guys continue to miss the point.

THE DESIGNS ARE STOLEN FROM EXISTING REPUTABLE COMPANIES.
What the fuck is there to argue about?
S.P.P.S. Member #00
Old 01-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #45
Taniguchi_Is_#1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
Taniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
HIGH-END RACING CONTENTS = REBS

But yeah, these are still inexpensive china wheels (Taiwan specifically). They don't even try to hide it, it even says so on their website.

not gonna lie, i didn't look very hard because i didn't really care.
Taniguchi_Is_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #46
Wake
Premium Member

I looked but its in fucking korean or some shit
S.P.P.S. Member #00
Old 01-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #47
jaredc

jaredc is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry for jumping in, and sorry for the low post count to come out like this, but geez people. they're wheels. I don't understand how people will drop 3k on wheels on a daily driver car that's worth less than 3k. we're driving 20 year old vehicles, with high mileage, that really aren't anything special in the grand scheme of things. Cheap wheels may be prone to self-destruction, but, if you go and hit a huge chuck-hole or something falls out of the back of a truck, and you can't get away from it and have to hit it, therefore, destroying your wheel, any wheel, would you rather it cost 800 bucks to replace, or 150. Sure, rep wheels are stealing designs from manufacturers, but I can't hardly agree with the idea of them stealing the money those reputable manufacturers would be making anyways. People that will buy these 150 buck wheels aren't going to save money for half a year or so to get up enough to buy baller wheels anyway. Sure, there needs to be a middle ground in the wheel business, enkei is the closest i've came across, but they even make wheels in china too. These rep companies surely aren't gonna spend the money to get the certifications, and do the testing that would make their wheels "good" and then offer them for the same low low price.
I really just dont get the hatred towards people that won't blow their hard earned money on a set of crazy expensive metal circles, when there are some other metal circles to be had for alot less money, that may or may not be as good.

I've sorta lost track of all thought, and am just gonna shut up now.
jaredc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #48
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredc View Post
sorry for jumping in, and sorry for the low post count to come out like this, but geez people. they're wheels. I don't understand how people will drop 3k on wheels on a daily driver car that's worth less than 3k. we're driving 20 year old vehicles, with high mileage, that really aren't anything special in the grand scheme of things. Cheap wheels may be prone to self-destruction, but, if you go and hit a huge chuck-hole or something falls out of the back of a truck, and you can't get away from it and have to hit it, therefore, destroying your wheel, any wheel, would you rather it cost 800 bucks to replace, or 150. Sure, rep wheels are stealing designs from manufacturers, but I can't hardly agree with the idea of them stealing the money those reputable manufacturers would be making anyways. People that will buy these 150 buck wheels aren't going to save money for half a year or so to get up enough to buy baller wheels anyway. Sure, there needs to be a middle ground in the wheel business, enkei is the closest i've came across, but they even make wheels in china too. These rep companies surely aren't gonna spend the money to get the certifications, and do the testing that would make their wheels "good" and then offer them for the same low low price.
I really just dont get the hatred towards people that won't blow their hard earned money on a set of crazy expensive metal circles, when there are some other metal circles to be had for alot less money, that may or may not be as good.

I've sorta lost track of all thought, and am just gonna shut up now.
Cliffs:

23 year old brokeass, who has never found an enter button that he liked.
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #49
jaredc

i
do
know
where
the
enter (carriage return, return)
button
is.

Not a brokeass,(I have a real job, salary, 4 year Electrical Engineering degree) I just realize that my car is really a piece of shit that isn't worth spending the 3 grand for wheels on, when I have a house that I spend a lot more time in, and would rather spend that money elsewhere. Nor do i have any junk parts, on my car, don't buy fake wheels, or fake parts for that matter.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #50
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
/\/\/\/\ i get what you are saying, and i have no problem with a manufacturer who makes "economy" wheels. enkeis are a fantastic wheel for the price you pay, and all of their wheels are THEIR design.

the problem i have is when someone blatantly copies a wheel design from a top-level company, and markets it as their own.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #51
jaredc

I can certainly agree with that. I think the problem there is that no one gives a crap anymore, like a previous poster said, "Why reinvent the wheel?" How many designs can you put in a circle before they all look about the same? The only decently original wheels I've seen in a while(and they're old as Methuselah) are Mugen CF-48's and the first version of Enkei Apache's. pretty wild looking wheels. (wont fit a too-farty, darnit)
Old 01-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #52
Wake
Premium Member

i dunno why that is so hard for kids to get these days.

Im so tired of the "cheap 20yo car" do you people have any idea how much "classic" cars were worth when they came out?
the point is to take pride in what YOU own and only use the best products available. But i guess as long as you keep that logic you can always drive a primered rust bucket with shitty rims and ebay parts and youll never have to explain yourself.

Good ole amurrica
cheapest, loudest, and dumbest.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #53
statusone

statusone is an unknown quantity at this point
ISO Certifications will come from the plant in Malaysia, China, Taiwan, not from the company which chooses to brand their name on the product (wherever manufactured).

So if X company manufactures "Copy" wheels, and company B sells them as the XR001, and C Company sells them as BB02, neither worry about certifications, just X.

For example:
http://www.vesteonchina.com/pro_view.asp?pro_id=340
statusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #54
jaredc

When is it cool to hate on people for what they can afford, or what they choose to afford? What happened to owning the same car as someone and going up and saying "hey, sweet car, dude." Instead, everyone bags on everybody nowadays just because there is this layer of anonymity known as the internet in between them. hell, we all own 240's, and that make's ya'll alright in my book. I don't think I can see it any other way. hah.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #55
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

The Dude is an unknown quantity at this point
The irony of this thread is that half of you probably are riding on megans/stances/other shit coilovers and have ebay rucas, yet you endlessly harass people who don't have 3k to spend on wheels.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #56
Wake
Premium Member

holy shit 3 people from '03 in the same thread.

zilvia is gonna explode.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
Old 01-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #57
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
The irony of this thread is that half of you probably are riding on megans/stances/other shit coilovers and have ebay rucas, yet you endlessly harass people who don't have 3k to spend on wheels.
Come at the suspension/wheels I had on my Civic Si:

N1 Concepts: Build Attitude - Premier Import Car Source for JDM and New Automotive Parts.

Wheels:

SSR Type C Wheel 15x7.0 4x100

Sorry pal, not a hypocrite.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #58
240drifter1
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240drifter1
Oh tennessee.... im ashamed.
240drifter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #59
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

The Dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby2089 View Post
Come at the suspension/wheels I had on my Civic Si:

N1 Concepts: Build Attitude - Premier Import Car Source for JDM and New Automotive Parts.

Wheels:

SSR Type C Wheel 15x7.0 4x100

Sorry pal, not a hypocrite.
I don't remember singling you out? Nor do I care how much you dropped overnighting parts from Japan.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #60
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

Nor do I, but being a non-Zilvia regular, I would rather not be lumped in with those having shit suspension with expensive wheels.