Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
AE_Racer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
AE_Racer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
$500 E30 + WRC =???? 3rd place

Quote:
Bill Caswell, an unemployed Chicago racing freak, entered the Mexico round of the World Rally Championship in a 1991 BMW 318i that he found on Craigslist. The car cost $500. One year ago, Caswell decided that he wanted to go rallying with Rally America. Two months later, he crashed a car and blew up an engine five minutes into his first event. Four events later, he found a loophole in the FIA rules that let him enter a twenty-year-old car in the same event as guys like Ken Block and former F1 driver Kimi Raikkonen.
How A $500 Craigslist Car Beat $400K Rally Racers - Rallying - Jalopnik

Now THIS, is awesome.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
NINJASPY
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
NINJASPY is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Awesome... I read the whole thing, but no mention of the "loop hole" in the fia rules.
NINJASPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Trader Rating: (0)
ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Absolutely incredible.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Very bad ass.

Reminds me of that Top Gear episode where they bought a stock BMW and tried to do the 24 hour race.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Awesomeness! I love it! Great read.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
mattsauto95
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
mattsauto95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Read this earlier. It was awesome.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
tanks13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
tanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tanks13 Send a message via Yahoo to tanks13
amazing this shit was dope
Old 03-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
Very bad ass.

Reminds me of that Top Gear episode where they bought a stock BMW and tried to do the 24 hour race.
then they found out it runs diesel LOL

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome! What class was he running in?
Old 03-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
jzepol1985
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
jzepol1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
wow
so awesome
jzepol1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
wow...that is an awesome story!!
Old 03-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
AE_Racer
Zilvia Addict

After more research i've gathered he wasn't actually competing in a WRC class, part of the Rally America series instead, which ran alongside WRC in the Mexico event. Still an awesome story though. More pics I found from SnoDrift in MI

Old 03-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
AE_Racer
Zilvia Addict

And story from the co-driver of the E30.

Pirating WRC Corona Rally Mexico Rally America | World Rally Sport
Old 03-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #14
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
interesting.. as cool as it may be, hope the WRC doesnt turn into a bunch of ratty shit looking cars tho lol

I wonder how much of this story is "glorified"
people been rally racing E30s for decades, this one is just standing out because it was ran same week as a wrc event so people tie it in.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #15
WanganRunner
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
WanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I hate stories like this (not really) because they make me overconfident.

The owner of this E30 is obviously a deity among men when it comes to mechanical aptitude, with his ability to quickly diagnose/fix just about anything on the fly with minimal tools, build a competitive car from nothing, etc.

Stories like this are like "Courage Wolf" for wrenching. They make me think "Hell, this guy can run against Team Citroen in a beater he's patching with RTV and tape, so I can totally get that MX73 trans swap done out in my garage". It momentarily relieves me of the reality that I'm a total fucking boob, a reality that will promptly re-assert itself when I drop a transmission onto my chest by accident and end up in the ER.

But yeah, this guy's a rockstar. Go him.

WanganRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #16
chitownguy
Zilvia Junkie

chitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to chitownguy
Haha this story is so cool. Even if he didn't compete against WRC cars, I'm pretty sure his competition was old WRC cars and well built sponsored rally cars. So to finish third in some janky BMW is still awesome.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #17
Bubbles
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Bubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So, do you win any money?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #18
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
this is guy is on a whole other level. truly epic

the gas tank patch had me cracking up.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #19
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE_Racer View Post
After more research i've gathered he wasn't actually competing in a WRC class, part of the Rally America series instead, which ran alongside WRC in the Mexico event. Still an awesome story though. More pics I found from SnoDrift in MI
Ahh, I understand now. So the loophole is that he could run in the Mexico event and get points for Rally America which he needed since he missed out on some races due to the crash. Is that right? Still Awesome!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #20
allmotorking
Zilvia Member

allmotorking is making a name for him/her selfallmotorking is making a name for him/her self
Rally America had a deal w/ the Mexican national rally series organizers to allow entrants from the RA series to run in their series alongside the WRC event. Bill was put in the open class running against newer FIA spec Mitsubishi evo's and Peugeot 206's because the car had an s14 (e30 m3) motor swap.

We are sponsoring the Jalopnik $500 Craigslist Rally Car T-shirt Design Contest to get Bill Caswell back into his rally car for the rest of the Rally America season. Winner will receive an xbox360 and a copy of forza 3 from us. The XBox will be wrapped in the winning T-shirt design using a special adhesive vinyl as well.

Here are the logos to use for this contest. Good luck and we'll be holding that Xbox360 for you 'til then.

Download Live Sockets Logo Here.