Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #9091
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomviillain View Post
I dropped my diff from the car and I notice the axle shafts just slip out
Prior to this the car drove fine, no noises, no leaks.

Its a kaaz 2 way lsd installed. I got it with the car.
The stub shafts on the diff, or out of the hubs?

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #9092
herbieS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
herbieS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to herbieS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismoracingsx View Post
Different people post different numbers, I've read 400 rwhp is safe. Real high hp sr's can always use a z32 trans w/ adapter plate.
i've always heard 400whp is safe also but hp doesnt break transmissions torque does so i guess i should rephrase my Q to how much torque can a redtop transmission handle safely?
herbieS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #9093
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
GL Chrillz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by David48 View Post
Did you order the correct sized bushing? Is your car an S13 or 14? Base model, Se, or hicas? Different trim models came with different sized rear sway bars, so my bet is you have an incorrect bushing.
Base s13. And they were already on the car, i didn't buy them. I had the sway bar off because I was putting poly bushings in the arms and solid risers in my subframe.
GL Chrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #9094
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbieS13 View Post
i've always heard 400whp is safe also but hp doesnt break transmissions torque does so i guess i should rephrase my Q to how much torque can a redtop transmission handle safely?
It's a relative question on how bad you'll be flogging her.

My car seems to eat a trans every 2 years, not so much in the gears themselves, but in the bearings. I think the high torque unload on track sometimes does that.

Drag race wise, guys have ate gears at 350, and guys making 500 are still ok...it's a combo of tire, launch rpm, clutch type, etc etc.

If it's just street driven, I don't see anything shy of 500 whp really damaging them.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #9095
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

GL Chrillz is an unknown quantity at this point
I seem to have missplaced my nuts for the rear coilover to the knuckle somewhere in my messy garage. I'm going to check nissan later today, but while I'm on the computer does anyone know of the thread pitch on it so I can at least get something temporary on it in case I have to order them?
GL Chrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #9096
Devens240
Zilvia Junkie

Devens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really nice
Best Forum for wheels for My Infiniti G20t?
Devens240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #9097
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
Quote:
Thats a biased comment , when I was going to college, the auto trans dominated the track all day, and it looked like those guys sure loved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
What if TH400, big stall, big turbo...that's fun though
Oh come on now, you can't compare big power auto setups to what this kid will likely wind up with. 180-210whp in an automatic 240sx isn't the same as a 400+ whp automatic setup.

If you're going so fast that a stick shift is slowing you down, buy all means, go auto. But with a low boost KA? Grow a pair and shift that shit yourself.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #9098
foxystyle
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
foxystyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So I ended up never ordering a pbm arm set because of losing my job.
But im going to start driving the s13 a lot soon and I don't want to wear out my tires.
Anyone have experience with that Godspeed gen2 ruca? It looks thicker than the generic shit, I just need a cheap disposable ruca from now till summer.
foxystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #9099
David48
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
David48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to David48
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL Chrillz View Post
Base s13. And they were already on the car, i didn't buy them. I had the sway bar off because I was putting poly bushings in the arms and solid risers in my subframe.
There's not really a science to them. If it's really not working for you then just order new poly bushings for them as well and just remove the sway bar in the mean time.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #9100
David48
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
David48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to David48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devens240 View Post
google images
Old 01-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #9101
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
or maybe g20.net?
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #9102
daftphunk
Zilvia Addict

daftphunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Small question indeed.

How many volts should my battery be drawing out (not sure if that's the correct term) when my car is off vs. when it's on? Typically, with a fluke meter, I am measuring out ~13V when the car is off. When the car is on, I USED to see something like ~14-15V. I also have an Apex'i Turbo timer that reads the battery voltage: it would be real low, like ~11 when the key was in the On position and once I turned it over it would go to about ~13.8. If I turned on my headlights before it would be ~12.8V

Today I just noticed on my turbo timer that it was at ~15.9V consistently, headlights on or off. I took the fluke meter to my battery and it was at ~17V!

Wondering if this is normal? My assumption is no, so it's gotten me a little concerned as to whether or not I am shorting out somewhere.
daftphunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #9103
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devens240 View Post
g20.net
SR20 Forum
SR20 Community Forum - The Dash - Powered by vBulletin

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreballz View Post
Oh come on now, you can't compare big power auto setups to what this kid will likely wind up with. 180-210whp in an automatic 240sx isn't the same as a 400+ whp automatic setup.
I know I was teasing him through you, I guess I didn't type it well though eeeek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxystyle View Post
So I ended up never ordering a pbm arm set because of losing my job.
But im going to start driving the s13 a lot soon and I don't want to wear out my tires.
Anyone have experience with that Godspeed gen2 ruca? It looks thicker than the generic shit, I just need a cheap disposable ruca from now till summer.
Anything this side of the SPL stuff is all the same to me (unless they use namebrand bearings, which 'm sure they do not) so get whatever is cheapest. ISIS actually has a warranty IIRC through Enjuku Racing.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #9104
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
how can i go about removing my freon at home?

i still have r12 in it, but need to remove the condenser and dont want that stuff all over my garage, plus i still need it for later

i have access to the actual machine, but that is somewhat last resort seeing as its heavy and i need to bring it from work to my house
Old 01-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #9105
nismoracingsx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
nismoracingsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
so get whatever is cheapest. ISIS actually has a warranty IIRC through Enjuku Racing.
Not that I don't have a few isis parts on my car, but if he's asking about rucas for use with coilovers, know that the isis ruca I had rubbed the shit out of my fortune auto coils . Sold those and bought fortune auto arms (duh, right?).

to the op, if you lost your job, and are considering buying godspeed arms to 'save tire wear' why not just raise your car up for now and use the stock ruca? Save your money till you get another job, mang.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #9106
nismoracingsx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
nismoracingsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
how can i go about removing my freon at home?

i still have r12 in it, but need to remove the condenser and dont want that stuff all over my garage, plus i still need it for later

i have access to the actual machine, but that is somewhat last resort seeing as its heavy and i need to bring it from work to my house
Considering r12 is quite valuable, I wouldn't let it go to waste . If anything, get it evacuated, sell it, and then convert to 134 for a profit.

Though I'm sure thats not your intent

I would just get the machine, you'll want to use it to fully evacuate the system again once you're done with the ac stuffs, so that theres no dirt in there to ruin components.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #9107
JasianBlazin
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (24)
JasianBlazin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Distributor took a crap on me. Was wonderin if you need to find TDC when installing a replacement distributor?
JasianBlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #9108
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JaredP is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftphunk View Post
Small question indeed.

How many volts should my battery be drawing out (not sure if that's the correct term) when my car is off vs. when it's on? Typically, with a fluke meter, I am measuring out ~13V when the car is off. When the car is on, I USED to see something like ~14-15V. I also have an Apex'i Turbo timer that reads the battery voltage: it would be real low, like ~11 when the key was in the On position and once I turned it over it would go to about ~13.8. If I turned on my headlights before it would be ~12.8V

Today I just noticed on my turbo timer that it was at ~15.9V consistently, headlights on or off. I took the fluke meter to my battery and it was at ~17V!

Wondering if this is normal? My assumption is no, so it's gotten me a little concerned as to whether or not I am shorting out somewhere.
with engine off battery should read ~12.6V, running it should be up between 13.8-14.2V with the alternator working. having it up around 16-17V is BAD and means your alternator is working too hard. check the wiring, something could be shorting it causing it to try to overcharge the battery or something inside the alt could be messed up as well
JaredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #9109
daftphunk
Zilvia Addict

Yeah I figured it was an issue. Just kind of realized it was an alternator issue; been driving and at idle the voltage is about 13.8 or so, but as I drive, it climbs up to 15.9 and my headlights cut out. What could be my issue?! I'm not close to home and need to get there before I do anything... And I'm kind of far.

Only thing I can think of is that it's been raining really hard out here lately. Storms and stuff. Maybe it affected it?

Any input on what I should do and what to look for?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #9110
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The regulator on the alternator is going out. Time to save up to replace or rebuild it.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #9111
herbieS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
herbieS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to herbieS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
The regulator on the alternator is going out. Time to save up to replace or rebuild it.
now my turbo timer read a mid-high 15v higher rpms WOT, it never really did that before, and i have a brand new (reman) quest alternator (125amp) if thats still wrong where should i start looking to correct the problem?
herbieS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #9112
foxystyle
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
foxystyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
to nismo and cody thanks for your input.
I did hear isis rucas rub most of the time.
Im on coilovers so i could raise it but i might get a cheap ruca so i can
remain looking cool and impressing highschool chicks from here till summer. sarcasam.
foxystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #9113
killer240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
killer240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
lol do u guys think the dealer would replace my seatbelt for free?
i have an S13 with S14 front belts, i know they will replace your seat belt for free if its not functional. has anyone tried?

or does anyone know how to make the seat belt retract faster?
killer240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #9114
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
They'll replace the automatic seat belts for free. But you might be on your own since you don't have the stock seat belts.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #9115
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Considering r12 is quite valuable, I wouldn't let it go to waste . If anything, get it evacuated, sell it, and then convert to 134 for a profit.

Though I'm sure thats not your intent

I would just get the machine, you'll want to use it to fully evacuate the system again once you're done with the ac stuffs, so that theres no dirt in there to ruin components.
It was never my intention to sell the r12 lol, but i can considering I still use my a/c, have access to r134a easy, and can convert.

My question is, is there any way to do it WITHOUT the machine? Like a One-way hose that connects from the line to a tank, lets as much out, and then i cap the ends.

Like I said, i have another option here but i really don't want to haul that thing home, I dont have another car to throw it in and I don't want to walk it that far
Old 01-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #9116
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
Ignition problem

How do I narrow the problem is it my lock cylinder or my ignition switch?
I have to jiggle the shit out of entire unit while pushing the back of the ignition cylinder towards steering column just to start my car?

Pm me..please
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #9117
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbieS13 View Post
now my turbo timer read a mid-high 15v higher rpms WOT, it never really did that before, and i have a brand new (reman) quest alternator (125amp) if thats still wrong where should i start looking to correct the problem?
I would say it's DOA. There is usually a higher than normal failure rate for remans. Why they come with a warranty. Swap it out for another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
It was never my intention to sell the r12 lol, but i can considering I still use my a/c, have access to r134a easy, and can convert.

My question is, is there any way to do it WITHOUT the machine? Like a One-way hose that connects from the line to a tank, lets as much out, and then i cap the ends.

Like I said, i have another option here but i really don't want to haul that thing home, I dont have another car to throw it in and I don't want to walk it that far
The only thing you can legally do is evacuate it with the machine and ether refill it with the same R12 or sell it to a recycler/processor.

You need to suck it down to vac to get all the nasty shit out. May as well do it with the machine.

Make sure you swap the drier while you are at it. You will need to flush the R12 specific oil out if you are going to R134a.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #9118
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
The only thing you can legally do is evacuate it with the machine and ether refill it with the same R12 or sell it to a recycler/processor.

You need to suck it down to vac to get all the nasty shit out. May as well do it with the machine.

Make sure you swap the drier while you are at it. You will need to flush the R12 specific oil out if you are going to R134a.
Yeah I just saw those legalities, so dumb. I would need to swap out the drier even if i stuck with the r12?

The reason I'm doing this is cause I have to replace the rad support, cut out the old one and stuff, and the condenser is warped so I highly doubt I'll even be able to use it again, but I don't want r134a to be honest.

But alright, I'll just use that damn thing.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #9119
JKL1031
Zilvia Junkie

JKL1031 is an unknown quantity at this point
ayone know what size the nut for the EGR pipe that needs to be unbolted to clear the steering rack to pull the engine on an s13 header? A 24mm seems too big. Any other wrench i try is too small.
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #9120
daftphunk
Zilvia Addict

Weird thing though cause I had my alternator rebuilt before I put it in my car and that was about a year ago. Should still be covered under warranty though so I'll get that checked out tomorrow.

Thanks for input.