Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
imotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The Metro Thread

Much like a car, men need to be washed, waxed and maintained for optimal appearance.

Because you're secure about yourself.

For tips, tricks, advice and criticism (from non-metro slobs).

imotion s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Well...I think the title of "metro" is a little brash as I've encountered men (who don't take care of their appearances and health) like to associate it with being a homosexual. I think taking care of your body is similar to taking care of your car.

I do have some tips beyond grooming though. I think it's worth mentioning because without the following, your optimal appearance isn't worth shit.

-Making time for the gym to exercise. Weight lifting isn't a must. Being in shape is. You can bench heavy weights and still running a shitty mile time. If you decide to start weight lifting, don't neglect your legs.
-Clothes need to be tailored to fit your body. Being in shape ties into this as having a great body allows you to fit into clothes that look good. Being heavy set isn't bad either but let's be honest, how many hot women are chubby chasers?
-Unless you compete in body building comps, waxing anywhere below the neck is unnecessary. Keep things below the neck groomed as often as possible though.
-If you want to keep a beard, don't insist on being ZZtop and James Harden. Your optimal appearance isn't a rapist lumberjack, is it?
-The cheaper the gel, the worse it looks for styling.

Unrelated to appearances but...keep up to date with current events and UNDERSTAND them before voicing your opinion. Nothing says "I'm a scrub" more than not being up to date and voicing your opinion about shit you don't understand. It's a little superficial but this is the social-media-high-speed-information generation...

Just like cars, it takes money and effort to take care of yourself and your appearance. You don't have to go all out for your body but feeling confident and knowing you can pick up chicks (or guys, if you like 'em) is a huge plus. It may even steer you away from spending too much on a car that you probably will sell later on.
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

imotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=zooopreme;5346585]Well...I think the title of "metro" is a little brash as I've encountered men (who don't take care of their appearances and health) like to associate it with being a homosexual.[quote]

and I quote

Quote:
Because you're secure about yourself.
Quote:
I do have some tips beyond grooming though. I think it's worth mentioning because without the following, your optimal appearance isn't worth shit.

-Making time for the gym to exercise. Weight lifting isn't a must. Being in shape is. You can bench heavy weights and still running a shitty mile time. If you decide to start weight lifting, don't neglect your legs.
-Clothes need to be tailored to fit your body. Being in shape ties into this as having a great body allows you to fit into clothes that look good. Being heavy set isn't bad either but let's be honest, how many hot women are chubby chasers?
-Unless you compete in body building comps, waxing anywhere below the neck is unnecessary. Keep things below the neck groomed as often as possible though.
-If you want to keep a beard, don't insist on being ZZtop and James Harden. Your optimal appearance isn't a rapist lumberjack, is it?
-The cheaper the gel, the worse it looks for styling.

Unrelated to appearances but...keep up to date with current events and UNDERSTAND them before voicing your opinion. Nothing says "I'm a scrub" more than not being up to date and voicing your opinion about shit you don't understand. It's a little superficial but this is the social-media-high-speed-information generation...

Just like cars, it takes money and effort to take care of yourself and your appearance. You don't have to go all out for your body but feeling confident and knowing you can pick up chicks (or guys, if you like 'em) is a huge plus. It may even steer you away from spending too much on a car that you probably will sell later on.
Good reply.

High quality women dig art, a little art history does wonders.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Styling paste/ cream > gel

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
fyneyoungstunna
Zilvia Addict

fyneyoungstunna is an unknown quantity at this point
Gotta agree with the beard thing. Every man should have a beard at least once in his life for about a month or so. But the zz top is no bueno.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
stevenrapids
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
stevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
shit, when i walk into a party at college with my grizzly adams beard, i get so many compiments on it from hot girls and gay guys. Some girls are into a "manly" man, but i do agree you have to maintain yourself to some level.
stevenrapids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
babyjesus
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
babyjesus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
don't cheap out when it comes to razors. disposable two-blade cheap shit ones are a bad time. three and four (i haven't tried 5 ) blade with swivel head have proven to be my go to.

also, while there are other methods of lathering before shaving, I find that simple soap and water work well for me.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
fyneyoungstunna
Zilvia Addict

fyneyoungstunna is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you guys think its taboo for guys to get facials?

I work with some estheticians and get them from time to time. I though about getting my hands kempt by doing the paraffin dip and stuff because of what I do ( massage therapist) but i dont see many guys doing it.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

Facials? That's like clay barring your face.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
Felipe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Felipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by word sux View Post
Styling paste/ cream > gel
Im hooked on this right now

Heres some reviews from real people...

Pomade Review: Johnny B. (Street Cream) | The Rebel Rouser

Johnny B. Street Cream | The Dapper Society - Men's Grooming Blog
Late Night Crew #1
Felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
Im hooked on this right now

That looks interesting, I may have to try it.

I saw the booth for Suavecito hair grease at the Grand Nationals last year
and it got my attention.
Well reviewed, smells nice, good hold, can be had for ~$10 on Amazon and they are based on Socal.

Then a friend turned me onto Fiber Grease.
Great hold, smell and texture also water based and JDM too booth.
Not as cheap as Suavecito and it takes a while to get it (ships from Japan).

fiber grease | Search Results | The Dapper Society - Men's Grooming Blog
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
SochBAT
Post Whore!

SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post

and it got my attention.
Well reviewed, smells nice, good hold, can be had for ~$10 on Amazon and they are based on Socal.

Just use car grease man!

I honestly love shopping. It's nice to buy some nice clothing for yourself sometimes. Apparently, I look dope in cardigans!
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
ManoNegra

ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by SochBAT View Post
Just use car grease man!

I honestly love shopping. It's nice to buy some nice clothing for yourself sometimes. Apparently, I look dope in cardigans!
Brake fluid, ATF, oil and dirt... you name it, it's been on my head

To stay on topic, found an actual barber shop today a block from my job.
Grandfather -> Father -> Son going back ~50 years.
Got a pompadour cut for $10, made my fucking day.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
SochBAT
Post Whore!

SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
Quote:
Brake fluid, ATF, oil and dirt... you name it, it's been on my head

To stay on topic, found an actual barber shop today a block from my job.
Grandfather -> Father -> Son going back ~50 years.
Got a pompadour cut for $10, made my fucking day.
You ever get a traditional straight razor shave? Because you should. It feels so damn baller, and it's like a manly spa trip.

They lather you up with some real nice soaps, throw a hot towel over it, relather and shave it with a razor that is microscopically sharp as hell.
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #15
ManoNegra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SochBAT View Post
You ever get a traditional straight razor shave? Because you should. It feels so damn baller, and it's like a manly spa trip.

They lather you up with some real nice soaps, throw a hot towel over it, relather and shave it with a razor that is microscopically sharp as hell.
Unfortunately I don't grow facial hair fast enough to merit a shave at a barber's (the Mayan in me).
But this place today did my neck and sideburns with the lather and razor.
And you're right, feels damn fine.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #16
Felipe
Post Whore!

Felipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfection
Quote:

and it got my attention.

That fiber grease review got my attention with the smell of lemons lol
Late Night Crew #1
Old 09-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

Quote:

and it got my attention.

Very nice dude, just got the fiber grease last week and loving it so far

oth been having issues with razor bumps like a crazy. Don't have much facial hair (more like whiskers) and for the most part my hair is straight but I'm getting a clusters of big bumps along the chin/neck.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Speaking of pomade, here are some I tried. I have straight/thick asian hair. I've got a bald taper all around, hard line for the part line, and I style my hair into a combover with a volumized front.

Got 2b (the orange one)--was at a friend's house and I forgot my pomade at home. I think he paid 7-8 bucks for it. It was alright. Washes off fine and it doesn't smell bad. Has a shine upo0n application but it loses that shine after drying. The hold is not all that great.

HUE luxury pomade. Stuff is the shit for a lot of different hair types but not anymore due to price, I went with something else. Washes off well because it's not petroleum based or runny like water base products.

Dr. Rubin's strong hold. I don't need the strong hold but I've got it anyway. I kinda want to try the standard hold but I'm afraid that it'll be too loose for the tightness I achieve when I comb my hair. This pomade is probably the best bang for your buck. It washes off well and it doesn't smell bad either. Been using this for a week and I love it.

I did want to try Fiber grease or Suavecito though

Quote:
Originally Posted by imotion s14 View Post
oth been having issues with razor bumps like a crazy. Don't have much facial hair (more like whiskers) and for the most part my hair is straight but I'm getting a clusters of big bumps along the chin/neck.
Step your razor/shaver game up and use shaving cream.
For Sale #1 | For Sale #2
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #19
Felipe
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
New product review...

https://therebelrouser.wordpress.com...molding-paste/
Late Night Crew #1
Old 02-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #20
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

I been using L'oreal "deconstructing gum". Cheap and readily available at Walmart. I style my hair into a quiff/faux hawk and it has excellent hold WITHOUT that greasy or stiff feel. It has a fairly neutral/non-offensive scent as well. Also it last for a good day too.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #21
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

Oh and I haven't had a break out in over a year. Get white heads every few months but nothing serious. I use to get crazy ass and painful razor bumps after shaving until I started washing twice a day and using moisturizers.

Even had a lady said I look like Bruno Mars.. ahahahaha!
Old 02-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #22
babyjesus
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
babyjesus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't grow facial hair fast enough to merit a shave at a barber's (the Mayan in me).
But this place today did my neck and sideburns with the lather and razor.
And you're right, feels damn fine.

i feel this same way (am also part mayan) but i can't grow legit facial hair on my cheeks/burns. I am pretty proud of my mustache and goatee area. i'll lte it grow out three weeks or so to get a good length for me to shape (tweeze and trim) then take it off like 1-2 weeks later. I like the versatility

as for hair products, and some of you might cringe, but I like using "moco de gorilla" and here's my reasoning, My hair is so thin and straight that virtually nothing holds it in place. I've been using this method for YEARS now.
1-use cheap $1 gel and blow-dry to shape. The cheap stuff isn't sticky enough to clump up and leaves hair still pliable with brush
2-after shaping, go back over with "Moco" to bring back luster and hold

I gotta give Suavecito a try, can you still run your fingers through it? or does it feel greasy?
Old 02-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #23
dsastr_clan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
dsastr_clan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
This is my set up, ...doesn't make me feel metro, but more like scholar/gentleman.

Nothing like getting out of a hot shower in the morning, looking at yourself in the mirror. You are conquering this day and make it yours! Grab some oil and lather your face with it, feel the essence, the smell infusing into your skin.

Then make some foam in your stainless steel bowl, till the texture its perfect. Brush it along the curves and angles of your face, caressing your skin... That touch! you just recreated the same feel, the feel of contact, when you run your face in between a woman's breasts. That godly, fulfilling, exciting feeling. You are a god for a moment, not need to be worshiped, but pleasured.
After ....grab a fresh razor, let the hot water run through it, make it hot! like rubber warming up before a take off. And tackled that mad angle, use your full automotive knowledge here. Weight shift, counter weight transition from the front to the back and vice versa. Your machine must be balanced, the line angles must be clean and elegant, not blood must be spilled in this conquest!
When done, wash up! cold water will make you remember that you are alive. My favorite is sandalwood.. sandalwood will stay with you for the rest of the day. When you get home, late at night and lay on that bed with your female, she'll be all,,i don't know what it is, but your smell drives me crazy,,then you know you did a good job.

dsastr_clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #24
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

It's an exaggeration. Basically this thread is about taking care of yourself even if you're not a pretty boy. Every man should be well dressed and well groomed.

I don't think there is anything appealing or "manly" about dressing down in dad jeans.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #25
Felipe
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsastr_clan View Post
This is my set up, ...doesn't make me feel metro, but more like scholar/gentleman.

Nothing like getting out of a hot shower in the morning, looking at yourself in the mirror. You are conquering this day and make it yours! Grab some oil and lather your face with it, feel the essence, the smell infusing into your skin.

Then make some foam in your stainless steel bowl, till the texture its perfect. Brush it along the curves and angles of your face, caressing your skin... That touch! you just recreated the same feel, the feel of contact, when you run your face in between a woman's breasts. That godly, fulfilling, exciting feeling. You are a god for a moment, not need to be worshiped, but pleasured.
After ....grab a fresh razor, let the hot water run through it, make it hot! like rubber warming up before a take off. And tackled that mad angle, use your full automotive knowledge here. Weight shift, counter weight transition from the front to the back and vice versa. Your machine must be balanced, the line angles must be clean and elegant, not blood must be spilled in this conquest!
When done, wash up! cold water will make you remember that you are alive. My favorite is sandalwood.. sandalwood will stay with you for the rest of the day. When you get home, late at night and lay on that bed with your female, she'll be all,,i don't know what it is, but your smell drives me crazy,,then you know you did a good job.

Pimp set up!

I know those sets get pretty high in price
Late Night Crew #1
Old 04-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #26
w0nderbr3ad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
w0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to w0nderbr3ad
Is it normal for the hairs of the brush to fall out over time? Is there a right way to clean and maintain shaving cream brushes? Reason I ask is because I had received a gift similar to that setup but with just a brush, pre-shave oil, shaving cream, and post-shave lotion. The brush started tearing falling apart after several shaves and would cling to my face.
w0nderbr3ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:41 AM   #27
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0nderbr3ad View Post
Is it normal for the hairs of the brush to fall out over time? Is there a right way to clean and maintain shaving cream brushes? Reason I ask is because I had received a gift similar to that setup but with just a brush, pre-shave oil, shaving cream, and post-shave lotion. The brush started tearing falling apart after several shaves and would cling to my face.
Are you exfoliating your skin with it? Should only be using enough pressure to get a good application of foam.
If you are being gentile with it. I would say it's just cheap. Cleaning the brush is just to get the funk(build up) out of it. Did the water turn brown the first time you used it?
Old 04-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #28
w0nderbr3ad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
w0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to w0nderbr3ad
The first time I used it, it pretty much felt like I was exfoliating my skin with it. I don't apply enough pressure to flatten it while spreading shaving cream. It was more of a cloudy brownish color after washing it. I'm probably just mishandling the brush and not cleaning it the way I should be.
w0nderbr3ad is offline   Reply With Quote