Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat > LOUD NOISES

LOUD NOISES A place for political mudslinging, Pro/Anti legalization, gay marriage debate, Gun control rants, etc. If it's political, controversial, or hotly debated, it goes here. No regular Off-Topic stuff allowed. READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Banana_Cute
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (16)
Banana_Cute is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Scam condo rentals???

A lil puzzled right now. I just rented a condo in Irvine. Move in date is today, I got my keys and everything but i havent heard from my landlord/agent.

Pretty much this what went down.

We met up with the guy, Jason Stone from Captive Options Property Management Services, at the Condo location in Irvine, Ca. Just too look at the place. Wife liked it and we had the cash ($500) and our photo I.D copied. He said they're very lenient about credit history but big on work history. Not a problem with us.

So we gave the guy $500 and he emailed us the necessary paper works to be printed, filled out and signed by my spouse and I. He made a WRITTEN receipt stating all the necessary stuff, down payment, monthly..etc.

The next day, I met up with him to give him the papers along with the 1st month rent of $1200 in Cashiers Check form via Chase Bank. He was insisting to make it payable to CASH but i went ahead and put it under the company.

I was kinda sketchy first because when he made a the written receipt, I asked if he has a card or maybe his DL to jot it down on the paper as well. He said no

So onto the move. He contacted stating that a carpet crew is coming to clean the carpet but they never showed. I've been trying to call the guy and email and text form. Anyway i can record our convo.

Now i've been reading some SCAMS ONLINE all night, and i have not came across anything like my situation. Pretty much all the once i've read are all RENTERS/LANDLORDS being scammed by the FUTURE TENANT. Kind of like what you see when you post FS on CL, they ask you YOUR info shit like that.

My situation is different from that.

Any inputs? How i should go about this? If the place that i rented is foreclose what will happen to my family, do we get kicked out? Even if we have a leasing agreement of 12 months?

Can a cashiers check be cashed out if it's under some bogus company?

I guess all i can do is hope for the best. =/

Simplicity is the key to brilliance
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Banana_Cute
Zilvia FREAK!

BTW... If this isnt the right place. PLEASE MOVE TO THE DESIGNATED thread/forum location.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Banana_Cute
Zilvia FREAK!

Forgot to mention, before i gave him the money, my wife Google his name and company he works for. Nothing showed. Could be bad, could be good? He could be the ACTUAL OWNER of the place and just putting a "company name" to drive more tenants his way. IDK.

Lets be mature about this. If you have no helpful inputs besides "you're fucked" then please just move on.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
jesse_s13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
jesse_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
When I was looking for apartments to move into I seen alot of sketchy apartments ads. Luckily I went to one with a management office. I do remember seeing an ATTENTION AD that someone got scammed by a Landlord.

Hopefully this guy is just been lagging it.

Well the good news is that you got a cashiers check. There should be a number which you can find out how cashed it and possibly a bank account.

Goodluck.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Banana_Cute
Zilvia FREAK!

Thanks man, Yea. We're just hoping for the best. Money isnt the issue. It's the principal. That feeling you know.

Hopefully he is just being laggy. And if by any means he is the ACTUAL owner of the place and doesnt want to spend money of the carpet and other issues the condo need, its no big deal. Im a handy man myself. Maybe that is the issues, since the lease is signed and there is no written agreement about what is going to be done to the place before our move in. Although we have text messages and Email to back that up.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Banana_Cute
Zilvia FREAK!

Ok, we're officially moved in, Found out the place is legit. Our "agent" is actually the owner of the place but he make it seems like he just works for a management company.

Also found out his REAL NAME Jason B. Shroot. But when signed the make shift receipt he jotted it down as Jason Stone.

Looked up Jason B. Shroot and saw some bad reviews of the guy. stating he has bad temper, doesnt fix shit, and he doesnt give back the deposit which you'd have to take him to court to get it. No big deal.

My dad almost punched him because he wouldnt provide no kind of identification and we were handing him $1000 in cash like he wanted. So i went to the bank and got Cashiers check instead.

Thread closed. Thanks.

Closed Thread