Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
240meowth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240meowth
You got a job, you make the bills, why are you driving a 240sx?

Hi, new here, my turbo blew up last night; true story. I need some feedback on why you guys are driving 240sx's and why I should keep her instead of getting a Ferrari.

For me:

To Keep:
-I know everything about the car and I've touched every bolt
-I know exactly how the car will behave when I drive her at her limit
-I'm sentimental - I've had the same s13 for 13 years

Not to Keep:
-It is old and completely beat up to the limit with faded paint and battle scars
-It is getting too expensive to maintain (case in point need to replace turbo)
-Ferrari is much faster stock
Old 11-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Zilmatic
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Zilmatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
-It is getting too expensive to maintain (case in point need to replace turbo)

yet you can afford a ferrari...?

Zilmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Don't. That's why I got rid of it

Worst thing I did was buy a 2nd. Best thing I did was sell them both
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Agent S14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Agent S14 is making a name for him/her selfAgent S14 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I finally graduated and got a real career, yet I still drive my s14 I love my car had it since 17 took me to school, work and when my mom got ill and i visited her in the hospital,my repairs are very very minimal. I just do minor replacement parts and maintenance. My s14 has been with me through the tough and good times in my life.
Agent S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

The Dude is an unknown quantity at this point
I was in the same boat. I just traded mine in for a new Gallardo. The guy at the Lambo dealership only wanted to give me 5k for it, but I showed him my megan racing suspension and ca18 and he offered me 6.5k. Overall, the Gallardo handles about the same but it is quite a bit faster in a straight line. I got some idiot to trade me his xxr wheels for my shitty stock Lambo wheels. I put a "panty dropper" banner on the windshield as well. Overall, I think I made the correct decision.

By the way, the "new" guy has been here since 2001 and has over 2000 posts.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
I was in the same boat. I just traded mine in for a new Gallardo. The guy at the Lambo dealership only wanted to give me 5k for it, but I showed him my megan racing suspension and ca18 and he offered me 6.5k. Overall, the Gallardo handles about the same but it is quite a bit faster in a straight line. I got some idiot to trade me his xxr wheels for my shitty stock Lambo wheels. I put a "panty dropper" banner on the windshield as well. Overall, I think I made the correct decision.

Broke ass bitch. Shits for posers. I'm looking to trade mine in for a F40, shits legit.

Going to do a twin super charger swap with nitrous on E85. I don't want some shit turbos blowing up and that E85 will keep it hella cool. Then I'm going to get like sick Work T38s for it and shit with like double lips and slam it on some tight ass Ksports.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Honestly, you can pick up a Ferrari in the $30-40k Range now without too much effort might be able to get the less desirable ones cheaper.

My perspective, i'm still not "done" with it. No single digit time slip, No national recognition (always thought it would be cool to get in a mag), Still haven't seen how the car will go on kill, or look when it is perfect. By the time that comes the money tied up it would be stupid to sell, so something will just get added to the garage at that point.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Indeed. I remember this poster when he used to have a picture of the meowth pokemon on his sig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRpilot View Post
Indeed. I remember this poster when he used to have a picture of the meowth pokemon on his sig.
Shit, times have changed. 12 years ago, he'd have been 18 and all about that shit.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I got tired of having to restore the car AND build it.

I spent 1.5 years building an s14 in a tight single car garage with hand tools (no compressor). After it got featured in modified (11/2012) I just felt like it was time to upgrade a little. I sold it and took a break then I picked up a z...newer, nothing rattles, looks cooler/newer (subjective), and doesn't carry as much of a negative stigma.
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
Davidna2fi
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
Davidna2fi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
It's called the Underdog syndrome... many people like to become superior with something that is challenge to make powerful, a good example is body building... is it really necessary in life to lift 200 lbs or squat 400 lbs in your life, does it benefit you in any way in your daily tasks for those desk jockey peeps that move a mouse around? The answer is no, the majority of tasks in society do not require anyone to lift that (maybe 50-100 lbs), but the person who is attempting to do the lift is satisfied and self glorifies his efforts and dedication to his sport of lifting heavy objects. By creating a vehicle from your creative efforts and unique vision, we get a self glorification by driving the car. If you never drive your car, but continue to build it, you become more likely to never be happy with it.
Davidna2fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
lolferarri.

three times as many cylinders, 10-200 times as expensive, power of a kat or just about any new car.

You're paying for that little rectangle with the horse.

If you really had the money to play with the rich bitches, you would have got your car painted when it started to look faded, you'd have the stuff to make it NOT rattle, you'd have a turbo today if it blew yesterday, etc.

Anyway, why no ferarri: it makes you a complete and utter bitch. And if you want to overpay, there's lots of companies that don't treat their customers like shit, which is my understanding of doing business with ferarri.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
240's are rad.

Cheap, fast, reliable. And all can be retained even once modded.

I only drive mine once every few months.

But when I do, it's awesome.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #14
nujabe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
nujabe can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
i agree ^^ i have a hate love relation ship but for some odd reason i can't seem to let mine go.i have a shit ton of money in to mine.But i feel the nostalgia when i look at it. Sure i could have had some thing newer but as i don't think it would be the same. even when i get old i want it under a tarp in the garage. i don't think there will ever be a car genre like our nissans again. when i mean that s13/s14/15/r32/r33/r34 these cars where made with some love and thought. now every thing is ultra plastic and crazy looking.
nujabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #15
Felipe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Felipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Some shit goes wrong on the ferrrrarizz its gona cost way more than just a turbo.
Late Night Crew #1
Felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:11 AM   #16
240meowth
Nissanaholic!

240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all240meowth is a name known to all
I have to say, driving the 240sx puts a smile on my face. It use to be my weekend car and on the weekdays I'd drive some Audi A6 shenanigans just so I look presentable. So many times I caught myself in the mirror smiling after taking and awesome turn in the rain or just scaring women and children.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:12 AM   #17
240meowth
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Shit, times have changed. 12 years ago, he'd have been 18 and all about that shit.
I am still all about that shit bro. Meowth #1
Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
Scherz Daddy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
Scherz Daddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Scherz Daddy
I drive my 240 on the weekends. I drive my honda to work.
Scherz Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #19
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Trader Rating: (36)
wangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wangan_cruiser
i dd mine just for work. any trip that involves out of town we use my pathfinder. hah all i care is it makes me happy when i drive it. ferrari? they are nice eye candy or be a pussy magnet. its nice to have one but id rather put that money for a house.
wangan_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #20
winter
Zilvia Junkie

winter is an unknown quantity at this point
Had a Hyundai Genesis in 2011, insurance was bobo high ($768/mo).
Got another SR powered car (RX7) and got bored.
Got a second Hyundai Genesis a few years later, still high ($480/mo).

Now I accidentally found a really good deal on a 1JZ motorset and accidentally bought 2 really clean rolling shells (painted and caged, tubed), needed a daily...bought a 3rd S14.

Make more than double and a half comparing to most of my friends in the same field that I consider "better" with a degree (I don't have a degree).

I drive them because they're cheap and easy to fix, though I get tendencies to want to buy a brand new car...like the FRS which I might still get, but I'd rather pay in cash.

Debt free is the way to be.
winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
Hatemy7
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
Hatemy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well I am broker, I do very well financially ( not trying to brag )

I am building an s13

I drive a x5 ( 2005 Paid off )-- best fucking car

Wife drives a Tahoe ( not paid off and it fucking sucks ass )

Overall it is just a good way to kill stress in my opinion.

it doesnt matter how much money you have make or have. You have it because you love it ( in my singing voice lol )
Hatemy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #22
tqstarburst
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
tqstarburst is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I own one because I'm just a wannabe Japanese drifter fanboy
tqstarburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #23
240KA
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
OP probably just saw this video.
FERRARI PICK UP PRANK - YouTube

i don't blame ya, man. i've been asking myself the same damn question the past few months. getting sick of my 240 and want something newer and faster.

why am i driving a 240sx still?
-cheap on gas
-don't worry about putting miles on it
-don't worry about the salt on the roads
-cheap on repairs

why i hate driving my 240sx.
-faded paint
-blown suspension
-it's slow (probably running on 3 cylinders )
-it vibrates at 60mph
240KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #24
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter View Post
Had a Hyundai Genesis in 2011, insurance was bobo high ($768/mo).
Got another SR powered car (RX7) and got bored.
Got a second Hyundai Genesis a few years later, still high ($480/mo).

Now I accidentally found a really good deal on a 1JZ motorset and accidentally bought 2 really clean rolling shells (painted and caged, tubed), needed a daily...bought a 3rd S14.

Make more than double and a half comparing to most of my friends in the same field that I consider "better" with a degree (I don't have a degree).

I drive them because they're cheap and easy to fix, though I get tendencies to want to buy a brand new car...like the FRS which I might still get, but I'd rather pay in cash.

Debt free is the way to be.
lol same here. Cash is king. College is overrated. The s13 to me has sentimental value and it is really one of the only cars I even like period. I have had a s13 in my life for 21 years. I wouldn't call my self a car guy so to speak. I just like what I like and that is it, mostly nissans and a few other makes/models. But my s13 is my second hobby. Stacking cash and investing is my first. I get more satisfaction watching my accounts grow than satisfying short term happiness with car stuff. Determination and discipline keep me from wiping out my shit with over the top car stuff that will just be old in 10 years. I try to keep a happy medium. Might as well wait till the right time comes to get a new expensive project car. My philosophy is a 2018 GTR will most likely be better than a 2013. So just wait it out and take care of business. My s13 will be more than fun enough to hold me over in the mean time. Sometimes yahoo japan makes things reeeeal hard though lol. Once this car is "done" (for the most part) it will be straight investing from there on out. Keeps me motivated. Live like a bum now only to retire early and do whatever the hell you want later. That is how I see life. Stay single my friend, and don't have kids.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #25
winter
Zilvia Junkie

Wanting success more than sleep helps. It's sad that most of my friends have all the tools to be successful and just let it slip. It's depressing actually. Oh well. More power to them. I had a bunch of unfortunate events that lead to my demise to not being able to finish school (Thanks SallieMae) and I ended up just paying off the loan through hard work, and now doing what I love for pretty good money. Still love paying for things in cash and seeing expressions on faces going to bank with multiple checks to deposit.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
How are you guys so successful at life.
I don't understand.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #27
winter
Zilvia Junkie

Game Genie, bruh.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #28
240meowth
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
lol same here. Cash is king. College is overrated. The s13 to me has sentimental value and it is really one of the only cars I even like period. I have had a s13 in my life for 21 years. I wouldn't call my self a car guy so to speak. I just like what I like and that is it, mostly nissans and a few other makes/models. But my s13 is my second hobby. Stacking cash and investing is my first. I get more satisfaction watching my accounts grow than satisfying short term happiness with car stuff. Determination and discipline keep me from wiping out my shit with over the top car stuff that will just be old in 10 years. I try to keep a happy medium. Might as well wait till the right time comes to get a new expensive project car. My philosophy is a 2018 GTR will most likely be better than a 2013. So just wait it out and take care of business. My s13 will be more than fun enough to hold me over in the mean time. Sometimes yahoo japan makes things reeeeal hard though lol. Once this car is "done" (for the most part) it will be straight investing from there on out. Keeps me motivated. Live like a bum now only to retire early and do whatever the hell you want later. That is how I see life. Stay single my friend, and don't have kids.
Are you a Taurus?! Seems like such a Taurus thing to do.

This thread has been fruitful. Which spawns to the new discussion: why do average income people drive shitty 240sx and spend money on them when we can buy some fancy car like Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Audi, etc. for the same or even less money.

For me I had an '02 Audi A6 quattro, but it was just a mammoth to drive around and the fuel was a pain in the ass. But it sure gets the womens... I sold it and kept the s13 after i got my motorcycle.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #29
winter
Zilvia Junkie

I took a lot of things into consideration... prior experience, economical choice, affordable parts, etc. It's so easy to find used parts / ghetto parts from local forums and then get by with just that. Also, still beats paying premium for a Euro. At the end of the day... I drive less than 7-10 miles a day. Not trying to impress anyone.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #30
240meowth
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIXziuR View Post
How are you guys so successful at life.
I don't understand.
Bro, no matter what there will always be someone who's more successful than you. The thing to keep in mind is that you have to race against yourself and have people who are there to motivate you even if that means yourself. The worst thing you can do is to lose that motivation*.

Takes preparation, smarts, and some luck.

*disclaimer: if you are 90 years old you should just learn to be happy with what you have instead of trying to do back breaking work in coal mines in order to make a few extra bucks.