Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
thizzen4
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
thizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Question hot rod heater with heater core in car how to hook up

figured it outtt thanks zilvia first car i built so still learning as i go

JEGS Performance Products 70602 JEGS Hot Rod Heaters

Last edited by thizzen4; 11-12-2012 at 12:22 AM..
thizzen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
cincity240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
cincity240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm assuming you run your lines through the firewall where the factory heater box lines would run , then to the block where the factory hoses goes , what's not to get ?

Posted from Zilvia.net App for Android
Old 11-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
cincity240
Zilvia Member

Maybe you're thinking coolant lines as in A/C ? Because I could maybe see how that would confuse someone if they didn't know a cars heat comes from the warmed coolant ..

Posted from Zilvia.net App for Android
Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
thizzen4
Zilvia FREAK!

thizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymore
like where would i run them from the raditor ??/ or what ??
Old 11-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thizzen4 View Post
10 seconds google.

Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
thizzen4
Zilvia FREAK!

figured it out nowww and still need to build custom sheet meatl dash nd yes i oped my hood hater build the this year shipped shell up from so call and ordxered motor from tiger jap and its the first car i ever build and just got custom knucles and tein inner and outter tie rods and chase bays powersterring cooling kit

Last edited by thizzen4; 11-12-2012 at 12:21 AM..
Old 11-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
thanks corbic all see if i can figure it out but dont have any heater lines or connectors like that what would i need to buy ?? i probly sound retarded right now :/
There are two ports on the back of the engine. If your car is running with no heater core right now then there is most likely a "U" shaped hose going from one to the other.

Hose size should be 5/8-3/4, I don't remember.

Simply yank the U hose and install two new hoses of required shape and length to run your new heater box.

Once again, back side of the engine by the firewall, total pain in the ass to reach.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
cincity240
Zilvia Member

S13 or S14 ? The two holes for the heater core on a s14 are on the left side of engine bay not the right ..
Old 11-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #9
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
CleanAndLegit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincity240 View Post
S13 or S14 ? The two holes for the heater core on a s14 are on the left side of engine bay not the right ..
thats obviously a rhd car, and its more of a "hey you see this its pretty much the same" kind of picture.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanAndLegit View Post
thats obviously a rhd car, and its more of a "hey you see this its pretty much the same" kind of picture.
My guess is it was more to exhibit concept, than a step by step fully illustrated DIY for dummys, type of picture. Possibly intended to get him to do some independent google research. That could have been what he meant by "10 seconds Google"
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Why in the world would you want to install that??? Your 240 already comes with a heater and it isn't super heavy or anything...
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Why in the world would you want to install that??? Your 240 already comes with a heater and it isn't super heavy or anything...
His car is gutted.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
Trap Star
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Trap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Trap Star
Still doesn't make sense. If its a track car why bother installing any kind of heater? If its a street car, why does it not have a dash or anything else?
Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
His car is gutted.
So what??? I even cut the brackets to mount my heater box out of my old hatch. It was the definition of gutted. 2650lbs with 250lbs of my fat ass, KADE, 1/2 tank of gas, all stock steel body panels, and all stock glass. Then I drove back from Willow Springs in the pouring rain and wised the hell up. I welded the brackets back in, re-mounted the heater box, and I had a heater again. It just doesn't make any sense to mount an aftermarket unit when you can get a stock heater box assembly for like $10 from some guy parting his 240 beater. Besides, that that Jeg's unit looks pretty heavy and the chances that it will mount easily in a 240 are somewhere between shit and fuck. Take it from someone who has been there, tell your buddy to wise the hell up like I did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Star View Post
Still doesn't make sense. If its a track car why bother installing any kind of heater? If its a street car, why does it not have a dash or anything else?
You need a heater in any street driven car for safety. The heater isn't the primary concern, but the defroster is. I was driving back from Willow Springs in the pouring rain after a track event and I literally could see nothing. I had to wipe the fog off the windshield every 10 seconds and drive like 40mph. That was scary as fuck and I never, EVER, want to be there again. Now if you have a trailered track car then fuck the heater.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
JohnnyDrfiter22
Zilvia Addict

JohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura about
Ask Chasebays they were talking about running hot rod heaters in the wiretuck thread
JohnnyDrfiter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
thizzen4
Zilvia FREAK!

i figured it out thanks for all the help peps
adn no trailor and its gutted to the max full cage with zip tied gauge cluster and seat and sterring wheels thats it
where would the u shape hose be on a sr20det lhd
Old 11-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
s14fbs
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
s14fbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14fbs
sounds like u need a pit crew or crew chief for your racecar its really not that hard to figure out have u even opened your hood ?
s14fbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
i figured it out thanks for all the help peps
adn no trailor and its gutted to the max full cage with zip tied gauge cluster and seat and sterring wheels thats it
where would the u shape hose be on a sr20det lhd
Yeah, this is the type of thing that you HAVE to figure out yourself. If you need to ask how to use the part then I would suggest that you don't. Mounting and plumbing that setup is going to be completely custom and pretty much nobody else but you is going to waste the time. You will find no write-ups or how-to's on this install. I don't understand how you cannot find your heater hoses. Are they completely eliminated at the block? Like the piping is completely missing? The location of the heater piping should be EXTREMELY obvious. ALL of the water piping is under the intake mani, just like ANY other engine in either a RHD or LHD 240. KA, CA, SR, they're all under there. Anybody who'se ever worked on their 240 knows that. It absolutely staggers me that you can't even find your heater piping, but you want to do some weirdo custom "hot rod" heater install. This is custom work man, you should already know this stuff if you expect it to come out right. I know this comes across as very condescending, but it is the truth. You need to learn how to work on your car as a stock car before you do stuff like this.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:10 AM   #19
cincity240
Zilvia Member

Quote:
thats obviously a rhd car

msglength
Old 11-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
haha yeah, radiator.. thats usually where hot water is. COOLANT SYSTEM dumbass, you need to tap into the COOLANT SYSTEM.. there's a myriad of heater hoses under the intake manifold of any NISSAN motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
10 seconds google.
Oh no.... a BP motor

Quote:
thats obviously a rhd car,
No... thats obviously a miata

Quote:
he's trying to re-engineer our heating system, aaron.

Quote:
You need a heater in any street driven car for safety. The heater isn't the primary concern, but the defroster is. I was driving back from Willow Springs in the pouring rain after a track event and I literally could see nothing. I had to wipe the fog off the windshield every 10 seconds and drive like 40mph. That was scary as fuck and I never, EVER, want to be there again. Now if you have a trailered track car then fuck the heater.
hahahahahahaha YUP, been there AND done that. driving back from the track with a fucking rag in my hand. its a combination of not having a heater AND not having any carpet. when you have a stripped interior, the car does not absorb any moisture and the temp diffs inside and outside create a lot of condensation. its INSANE. driving back from button willow was definitely an experience.. but not my most scary. I think driving with no headlights (just parking lights) at 4AM was probably my worst experience. The street part was OK, it was when I decided to cut through the canyon and there was no moonlight. Uhm... yeah.

Quote:
Anybody who'se ever worked on their 240 knows that. It absolutely staggers me that you can't even find your heater piping, but you want to do some weirdo custom "hot rod" heater install. This is custom work man, you should already know this stuff if you expect it to come out right. I know this comes across as very condescending, but it is the truth. You need to learn how to work on your car as a stock car before you do stuff like this.
hahaha i love it. aaron, you've been away from zilvia for too long.

its like a zombie movie... majority of people here are retarded and cannot think. the small group of us that can have united and tend to stick together. speaking of which, wheres codyace been?

this forum just gets SAD
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #21
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
hahaha i love it. aaron, you've been away from zilvia for too long.

its like a zombie movie... majority of people here are retarded and cannot think. the small group of us that can have united and tend to stick together. speaking of which, wheres codyace been?

this forum just gets SAD
I'm back in the game now, workin out a deal for my next 240 today hopefully! I might have to buy a premium membership again to get rid of the stupid ads.

BTW only 1 "A" in my name, I'm "special"! LOL!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #22
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
pay for premium, or run adblockplus like the rest of us smart internet users

hopefully you're not going to buy dave's *new* find

you were better off away. now that you're back you're going to see how the community has stooped to even lower standards (how is that possible?!?!). all good, its GREAT to hear you posting again. just take heed to my words, you're going to shake your head a lot more often than you used to.

i miss russ
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #23
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Russ dominated the tech section morons haha.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #24
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
That heater looks as bulky as the OEM unit.
Do they not have anything smaller?

Real race cars still have dashboards.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #25
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
pay for premium, or run adblockplus like the rest of us smart internet users

hopefully you're not going to buy dave's *new* find

you were better off away. now that you're back you're going to see how the community has stooped to even lower standards (how is that possible?!?!). all good, its GREAT to hear you posting again. just take heed to my words, you're going to shake your head a lot more often than you used to.

i miss russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Russ dominated the tech section morons haha.
Damn, no more Russ. I will also miss that! Maybe I'll have to pick-up some slack! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
That heater looks as bulky as the OEM unit.
Do they not have anything smaller?

Real race cars still have dashboards.
^^^ Quoted for truth...
Old 11-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #26
Trap Star
Zilvia Junkie

Trap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant future
Quote:
I had almost no issues with no heat driving in Tampa for a year, I did have a full interior though so maybe thats the difference. My point was it doesn't make sense to strip everything out of your car and then run an aftermarket heater. Just seems like it defeats the purpose of stripping out the original heating system in the first place.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #27
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Star View Post
I had almost no issues with no heat driving in Tampa for a year, I did have a full interior though so maybe thats the difference.
Yeah, I didn't have any issues for a long time as well. Once I did have an issue though is was clearly un-safe.

Quote:
My point was it doesn't make sense to strip everything out of your car and then run an aftermarket heater. Just seems like it defeats the purpose of stripping out the original heating system in the first place.
I 10000000000000000000000000% agree with the above statement. It is absolutely ridiculous to strip out your stock heating system. Then spend a bunch of money and time replacing it with some aftermarket unit. That is complete non-sense.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #28
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
unless you bought a shell that had nothing in it then i can see someone buying this.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #29
Trap Star
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bataangpinoy View Post
unless you bought a shell that had nothing in it then i can see someone buying this.
Still pointless. You can get the stock equipment for stupid cheap or even free if someone just wants it out of their garage/storage area. Even if someone bends you over price wise it will still come in under $180.