Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
mnmax
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
mnmax is making a name for him/her selfmnmax is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
crazy fuel economy and power idea...

been doing some research on fuel economy lately. With all the crazy systems people have come up with since the invention of cars, I've been trying to look for something a little more geared towards fuel injected engines that doesn't require adding something that may potentially cause hydro-lock.

With that said, the hydroxy systems are out of the question. So far the only thing that really stands out would be to utilize some sort of vapor system.

As far as I can tell, the main things to get better economy and power compression is a cleaner fuel mixture burn.

In most cases, 75% of atomized fuel that enters the combustion chamber isn't burned. So, why not squeeze as much power as possible out of every drop of fuel as possible by vaporizing the fuel instead of atomizing it?

I already have my own ideas on going about this with my Z32. Now I just want to see if anybody else out there has tried this procedure or what has worked for them.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
sidelight

Trader Rating: (1)
sidelight is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what are you gonna use instead of injectors?

U work in the design/engineer field/ ?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
mnmax
Zilvia Member

I'm still planning on using injectors, but they will actually be a dual port style injector. One port for normal start up and warming and the other for vapor. This way, engine design is uncompromised. This allows the engine to be warmed up to proper operating temp using the normal fuel injection system. Once it's up to temp, the EMS will switch to the vapor injection system. The heat generated will allow the fuel to stay vaporized in the system.

And, yes, I have been an auto-tech for several years and finishing my engineering degree.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
joshls2
Leaky Injector

joshls2 is a well-known jackass
do some research on the late great Stanley Meyer. whatever you do, if u manage to make a break-through of some kind and you come up with a system that surpasses conventional petroleum ..DON'T go public with it or else you'll risk being killed and having all of your research and prototypes etc. confiscated by the ptb.

I'd be willing to contribute to this thread with some of my own ideas though later on. I'm no engineer but I'm a visionist. I dream of the days when we won't have to work for the things we need(like food, water, energy and other utilities)but only for the things that we want.

anyway, good thread.
joshls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to cdlong
get a tin foil hat while you're at it. We're already at the point where we don't have to work for the things we need, at least in this country.

That 75% number is bogus. There are literaly thousands of engineers working ceaselessly on improving vehicle mileage. Nothing that grand is untapped. Your best bet, buy a lighter car and don't floor it as much. Or ride a bike.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
mnmax
Zilvia Member

I'm pretty sure it's already out there. Yes, there are engineers and thousands of patents out there for these systems, but if you can explain to me why none of them are put into production and why all these patents were bought out by oil companies as soon as their inventors had died, then please let me know... As for that 75%, tell me where else that carbon build up in your engine comes from. Cleaner burn=more potential energy=more efficiency=less emissions=less mpg... Who wouldn't like that?
Old 08-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshls2 View Post
do some research on the late great Stanley Meyer. whatever you do, if u manage to make a break-through of some kind and you come up with a system that surpasses conventional petroleum ..DON'T go public with it or else you'll risk being killed and having all of your research and prototypes etc. confiscated by the ptb.

I'd be willing to contribute to this thread with some of my own ideas though later on. I'm no engineer but I'm a visionist. I dream of the days when we won't have to work for the things we need(like food, water, energy and other utilities)but only for the things that we want.

anyway, good thread.
THIS.

Watch The Gashole on Netflix, or rent it.

People either A. Disappearing and reappear dead or B. They buy your designs and they disappear forever, never used again and your not allowed to make another since they now own the rights to it.

Oil comp is corrupt as fuck.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlong View Post
get a tin foil hat while you're at it. We're already at the point where we don't have to work for the things we need, at least in this country.

That 75% number is bogus. There are literaly thousands of engineers working ceaselessly on improving vehicle mileage. Nothing that grand is untapped. Your best bet, buy a lighter car and don't floor it as much. Or ride a bike.
Sounds like you need to watch The Gashole also.

Some dude got some 50s 12mpg 4000+lb heap of shit to get over 100mpg. The technology to give cars like ours 150+mpg while maintaining our power is out there, and technically untapped.

But the oil companies are too concerned about money to let it out. Imagine a Prius getting 300+mpg and costing the same? Imagine the ZR1 or a H1 Hummer getting over 100mpg and still having the same amount of HP/tq.

Gas companies would not go under but the CEOs would sure as shit lose their 12+ million dollar a year paychecks.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
mnmax
Zilvia Member

[/QUOTE]Gas companies would not go under but the CEOs would sure as shit lose their 12+ million dollar a year paychecks.[/QUOTE]

damn right!!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
Nick_04K
Zilvia Junkie

Nick_04K is an unknown quantity at this point
Do this..Save the dying supercar.....And i will give you my left nut.
Please!
Nick_04K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
ChicagoS14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
ChicagoS14 is making a name for him/her selfChicagoS14 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoS14
Keep the thread going, ive been wanting to do some work like this for a while. My daily driven SC300 is lucky to get 16-18 mpg. And even though I have a motorcycle for the summer it still sucks through the year considering I sometimes have to drive 100 miles a day between work and various places I have to go to for my small business. My cars MPGs and gas prices are killing my already small pocket.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
frifox

frifox is an unknown quantity at this point
same goal here but i went about achieving it in a different way... i got a custom ignition system that guarantees that spark arcs 100% of time regardless of rpm's and spark gap. heck, during my simulations even a .500 gap was arcing at both 200rpms and 9000rpms (confirmed with oscilloscope). also, it fires multiple sparks one after another to make sure all gas is burned in case it wasn't 100% ignited by the first arc. right now i'm running .060 gap and my car runs silky smooth. i'll run this for few more weeks and see how it goes and then continue increasing the gap until i start seeing problems. after that i'll play around with adjusting the spark timing to see if i can improve efficiency and power any further.

i drive like a maniac, the alignment is a mess (toe/camber/caster are all different on all wheels, lmao) and got welded diff and still manage to get ~25mpg in city. haven't tested highway mpg yet but i'll do that once i get new coilovers and fix the alignment

ps: got the ignition system and interfaced it with my engine for free (had to make a custom dizzy cap tho) since the guy who designed it happens to be one of my best friends and had a few old prototypes collecting dust in the garage
frifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
mnmax
Zilvia Member

Everything is still in the r&d stage right now. I will keep this thread updated as much as possible. We're all hurting on gas prices right now. Hopefully my partners and myself don't end up like all the others that were trying to do the same thing. lol!!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Apparently vaporized water helps a lot
Old 08-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
mnmax
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frifox View Post
same goal here but i went about achieving it in a different way... i got a custom ignition system that guarantees that spark arcs 100% of time regardless of rpm's and spark gap. heck, during my simulations even a .500 gap was arcing at both 200rpms and 9000rpms (confirmed with oscilloscope). also, it fires multiple sparks one after another to make sure all gas is burned in case it wasn't 100% ignited by the first arc. right now i'm running .060 gap and my car runs silky smooth. i'll run this for few more weeks and see how it goes and then continue increasing the gap until i start seeing problems. after that i'll play around with adjusting the spark timing to see if i can improve efficiency and power any further.

i drive like a maniac, the alignment is a mess (toe/camber/caster are all different on all wheels, lmao) and got welded diff and still manage to get ~25mpg in city. haven't tested highway mpg yet but i'll do that once i get new coilovers and fix the alignment

ps: got the ignition system and interfaced it with my engine for free (had to make a custom dizzy cap tho) since the guy who designed it happens to be one of my best friends and had a few old prototypes collecting dust in the garage

The ignition system I'm using is just about the same. I first started with getting some pulse type spark plugs and added a plasma igniter. Probably some of the hottest arc's I've seen from a plug. Ended up gaining about 8mpg. That's great in itself to just change the ignition system out. Now, it's just time to improve on the air and fuel delivery.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
mnmax
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
Apparently vaporized water helps a lot
Already tried the vaporized water. It's similar to a methanol injection system you see used for drag cars. Only deal with it is that on cold start, it has the potential for hydrolock and when the engine is shut down, it tends to create oxidation in the cylinders which then creates pitting and in turn compression is lost.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #17
frifox

frifox is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmax View Post
The ignition system I'm using is just about the same. I first started with getting some pulse type spark plugs and added a plasma igniter. Probably some of the hottest arc's I've seen from a plug. Ended up gaining about 8mpg. That's great in itself to just change the ignition system out. Now, it's just time to improve on the air and fuel delivery.
hmm, i should give those plugs a try. i'm actually still running my system on the cheapest spark plugs in town i could find, lol... either way, you got my attention now and will continue watching this thread for progress
frifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #18
Bambi
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Bambi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I feel like the feds are going to show up to my house any minute now for reading some of the stuff on here.
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
It's impossible because I tried once. Took out 4 telephone polls and a girl scout concession stand. All the thin mints and samoas couldn't even be salvaged.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #19
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

It won't be the Feds. It'll be someone from Shell or Chevron lol
Old 08-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #20
ScrapnSidwayz
Leaky Injector

ScrapnSidwayz is an unknown quantity at this point
I really hope that you stick with this and succeed, I am tired of being fucked over by the oil companies continuously raising gas prices. btw I might have to get me a set of Pulstar plugs if they really do help increase mpg, I have always been skeptical about them.
ScrapnSidwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #21
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
Some dude got some 50s 12mpg 4000+lb heap of shit to get over 100mpg.
Good for him. The recent winner of the SAE fuel mileage competition got something like 2500 miles per gallon. Cars are all about compromise, engines as well. Power, efficiency, and emissions are all related. Make one go up, the others go down. I bet that heap of shit was poluting like crazy.

I honestly don't believe Ford would give up technology that would tack an extra 3 mpg on the window sticker of a Focus if they could steal some customers away from Honda. If they could tack on 50, they'd own the world in a year.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #22
Kylepaschke
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (13)
Kylepaschke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Hulu - GasHole - Watch the full movie now.
Kylepaschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #23
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Definetly watch that^

Cdlong- that dude did it over 50 years ago, with shit he picked up from a hardware store. I wonder how much time and money went into that 2500mpg engine...
Old 08-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #24
ScrapnSidwayz
Leaky Injector

ScrapnSidwayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylepaschke View Post
VERY good movie!
ScrapnSidwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #25
Kylepaschke
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (13)
Kylepaschke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Watching gashole and getting PISSED.
Let's group buy some vapor engine parts.
Kylepaschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #26
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

They run on 3.5hp B&S engines and they're generally carbon monocoques. My point was there are a lot of compromises made in cars. If manufacturers had free mileage without giving up safety, emissions, power, chassis stiffness, comfort, at minimal cost, wouldn't they do it in a heartbeat?

Here's the SAE site for supermileage. Care to site your source for the 100mpg truck from the 50s? SAE Collegiate Design Series: Supermileage®
Old 08-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #27
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Yea, watch that movie. It, and plenty more are in it.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #28
pandaroo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
pandaroo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
or you could convert your car to lpg or propane. its easier to get to its gaseous state, burns cleaner and more efficiently, than gasoline and depending on were you live its cheaper than it too.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #29
s14tan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
s14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
This thread sounds awesome.

Deff keeping my eyes on this.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #30
mnmax
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
or you could convert your car to lpg or propane. its easier to get to its gaseous state, burns cleaner and more efficiently, than gasoline and depending on were you live its cheaper than it too.
lpg is a great idea, only problem with it is that you would have to swap out the engine altogether. An lpg engine is basically based off of a diesel engine that runs on heat and compression. If you look at most diesel race cars and trucks, lpg is actually used just like N2O is in a gasoline engine. To run purely on lpg, I would hope something is done to the drivetrain of whatever you're running it in to compensate the low power output by the engine to usable torque to the drive wheels, much like how some innercity buses are set up.