Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #31
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmax View Post
lpg is a great idea, only problem with it is that you would have to swap out the engine altogether. An lpg engine is basically based off of a diesel engine that runs on heat and compression. If you look at most diesel race cars and trucks, lpg is actually used just like N2O is in a gasoline engine. To run purely on lpg, I would hope something is done to the drivetrain of whatever you're running it in to compensate the low power output by the engine to usable torque to the drive wheels, much like how some innercity buses are set up.
No actually LPG can be used in a normal spark engine.

But did anyone mention that vaporized fuel takes up more room than liquid fuel? Thus it's harder to get the same amount of oxygen in the combustion chamber with the fuel. Also, if you're using heat to vaporize the fuel, this decreases the density of the air/fuel charge, further decreasing the oxygen content.

Direct injection is basically the closest thing to what you're talking about. The higher the fuel pressure, the more atomized the fuel becomes, and putting it directly into the chamber cools the intake charge and eliminates fuel puddling behind the intake valve.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #32
mnmax
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
mnmax is making a name for him/her selfmnmax is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is true...

Atomizing or vaporizing, the concept is the same. It's all based on the dispersion of the fuel molecules. The more dispersed, more is burned... For what you were talking about is essentially removing the air all together, but in fact, the goal here is to attain a near perfect burn efficiency of a 15:1 a/f ratio. Even though hot vapors are entering the combustion chamber, it is combined with a charge of cold air.

As far as I can see, you are right with the puddling that would occur at the injector itself if doing a direct port. But, what if it was applied as a fogger system closer to the valves instead? You would still retain the right amount of fuel vapors with the proper amount of air that would mix prior to entering the combustion chamber.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #33
mnmax
Zilvia Member

Ok... So, it's been more than a year since I last updated this thread. You all know the deal, good old life changing events. But anyways, we have everything needed and assembled ready to go into the car. Only thing I'm waiting on right now is to get the LSX swap done in the Z32. I thought I might as well have a fresh motor with good power to start off with.
Since the winter months are coming up, the car will be going under the knife as soon as possible. Still trying to source a VQ35HR 6-speed for cheap. The wife is still pissed at me for buying the motor.

Hopefully I'll have the Z up and running by the time the snow is melted. I'll do my best to keep this thread going as much as possible. Probably the only thing that would hold me back right now would be a deployment to some God foresaken country. We'll see how things turn out...
Old 10-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #34
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
swat came into my house

disrespected my engineer papers

IT WAS YOU

stay safe OP.
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #35
blo0d
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
blo0d is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamg View Post
swat came into my house

disrespected my engineer papers

IT WAS YOU

stay safe OP.
bwahahahaahaaha
blo0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #36
ShakotanGazelle
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
ShakotanGazelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by frifox View Post
same goal here but i went about achieving it in a different way... i got a custom ignition system that guarantees that spark arcs 100% of time regardless of rpm's and spark gap. heck, during my simulations even a .500 gap was arcing at both 200rpms and 9000rpms (confirmed with oscilloscope). also, it fires multiple sparks one after another to make sure all gas is burned in case it wasn't 100% ignited by the first arc. right now i'm running .060 gap and my car runs silky smooth. i'll run this for few more weeks and see how it goes and then continue increasing the gap until i start seeing problems. after that i'll play around with adjusting the spark timing to see if i can improve efficiency and power any further.

i drive like a maniac, the alignment is a mess (toe/camber/caster are all different on all wheels, lmao) and got welded diff and still manage to get ~25mpg in city. haven't tested highway mpg yet but i'll do that once i get new coilovers and fix the alignment

ps: got the ignition system and interfaced it with my engine for free (had to make a custom dizzy cap tho) since the guy who designed it happens to be one of my best friends and had a few old prototypes collecting dust in the garage
Can somebody dumb this down for me? I'd love to get 25mpg out of my VG S12

Subscribed to this thread because it's fucking awesome and LSx Z32s are my favorite.
ShakotanGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #37
TitanRb25

TitanRb25 is an unknown quantity at this point
So this whole electric motor idea.... gas is used to get the car going and at a certain stage, the electric motor kicks in. This running on a powered source, it can run on X amount of miles per charge. Seeing you guys are more inclined on this than I am, my curious thought would be, why couldn't a car having a system that as one battery is being used up, an alternator is charging up a secondary battery or power source to switch to? This process would repeat over and over. Essentially you could run a car for as long as the battery(s) can hold a charge. At least that is how I see it.
TitanRb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #38
bova17
Zilvia Member

bova17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Propane is a very good source of fuel not only is it available anywhere but burns much cleaner than gas, and is pressurized and a vapor, couldn't you use that with good spark plugs and get better mpg?
bova17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #39
mnmax
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRb25 View Post
So this whole electric motor idea.... gas is used to get the car going and at a certain stage, the electric motor kicks in. This running on a powered source, it can run on X amount of miles per charge. Seeing you guys are more inclined on this than I am, my curious thought would be, why couldn't a car having a system that as one battery is being used up, an alternator is charging up a secondary battery or power source to switch to? This process would repeat over and over. Essentially you could run a car for as long as the battery(s) can hold a charge. At least that is how I see it.
Looked into electrics a while back, to have the kind of power need for it to be a performer coupled with your idea, you would need at least (2) 400V/1000A battery packs(with today's battery tech= 1500Lbs), and couple it with (2) AC drive systems. (1) of those AC motors would have to have the capability to operate at about 15,000 watts to charge the battery packs fast enough before the other pack is close to being depleted. Trying to run something like that in a sports or super car would just be ridiculous. Might as well just upgrade the electric motor and system, also add a couple more battery packs to a prius( enough to have to replace the entire rear interior with batteries) and call it a day.

Not dogging on your idea, just doesn't seem feasible with the batteries we got today.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #40
mnmax
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bova17 View Post
Propane is a very good source of fuel not only is it available anywhere but burns much cleaner than gas, and is pressurized and a vapor, couldn't you use that with good spark plugs and get better mpg?
Propane is a cheap solution, but for it to have enough usable energy to perform on it's own just isn't there and you would need a very large tank for it to have the range of a car since it already is a gas and not condensed enough. My idea would just let it be our normal everyday gas that is already dense and transforming it into a vapor for better dispersion when mixed with air to get a cleaner burn.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #41
mnmax
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakotanGazelle View Post
Can somebody dumb this down for me? I'd love to get 25mpg out of my VG S12

Subscribed to this thread because it's fucking awesome and LSx Z32s are my favorite.
Hotter and more consistent spark=more efficient (complete) burn... A more efficient burn=MORE POWER!!! , more range, and less emissions.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #42
S13x88
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
S13x88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Hotter and more consistent spark=more efficient (complete) burn... A more efficient burn=MORE POWER!!! , more range, and less emissions.
I think he was asking how that custom ignition system can be made for his own benefit.
S13x88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #43
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Just FYI, Brandon Wicknick runs natural gas in his 1JZ Pro-Am drift car, and in his tow rig. Shit's tight and cheap.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #44
ShakotanGazelle
Zilvia Junkie

ShakotanGazelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S13x88 View Post
I think he was asking how that custom ignition system can be made for his own benefit.
yeah that^

sorry guy, should of specified
ShakotanGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #45
mnmax
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Just FYI, Brandon Wicknick runs natural gas in his 1JZ Pro-Am drift car, and in his tow rig. Shit's tight and cheap.
Nice... I can honestly say that I did not know that. I'll have to look into it. As for his rig, it's something expected, I've seen it done plenty times with buses and large trucks.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #46
mnmax
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakotanGazelle View Post
yeah that^

sorry guy, should of specified
It's all good. I want to know what he's talking about as well. But, I still get the gist of what he's getting at.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #47
jiggysnitz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
jiggysnitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
May be a little off track but people consistently get over 100mpg from the VW Lupo Blue motion in Europe. There are also big body jags that will do 70mpg in Europe. All this straight from the factory just relying on a diesel engine, no fancy batteries or tricks.
jiggysnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #48
TitanRb25

TitanRb25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Looked into electrics a while back, to have the kind of power need for it to be a performer coupled with your idea, you would need at least (2) 400V/1000A battery packs(with today's battery tech= 1500Lbs), and couple it with (2) AC drive systems. (1) of those AC motors would have to have the capability to operate at about 15,000 watts to charge the battery packs fast enough before the other pack is close to being depleted. Trying to run something like that in a sports or super car would just be ridiculous. Might as well just upgrade the electric motor and system, also add a couple more battery packs to a prius( enough to have to replace the entire rear interior with batteries) and call it a day.

Not dogging on your idea, just doesn't seem feasible with the batteries we got today.
all good man, just shooting random ideas out there. thanks for breaking it down tho! Definitely seems like a backwards way of operating.
TitanRb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #49
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
If i remember my chemistry class correctly, vapors become liquids once under pressure.. so it would make no sense in a combustion type engine due to the 4 stroke cycle. The engine would have to be entirely remodeled to combust vapors so any chance of changing your car to run vapor fumes would mean inventing a whole new motor.

The idea is possible but where would you find readily available vapor gas stations.. plus the gas tank to hold it would be ginormous.

If the idea is out there, Motor companies would have started development. Motor companies and gas stations have no relation whatsoever so whats stopping them from making cars that can do 100+MPG. Most consumer would purchase these car (IE why theres so many Prius)

In the end, fossil fuel is a dying breed and should not be worth investing money to as eventually oil supply will dry out. The smarter way to go electric, diesel, hydrogen.. etc. 50 years from now you would laugh at the use of gasoline to power vehicles (just as kerosene was used for lighting back in 1800s)
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #50
mnmax
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOnesxWai View Post
If i remember my chemistry class correctly, vapors become liquids once under pressure.. so it would make no sense in a combustion type engine due to the 4 stroke cycle. The engine would have to be entirely remodeled to combust vapors so any chance of changing your car to run vapor fumes would mean inventing a whole new motor.

The idea is possible but where would you find readily available vapor gas stations.. plus the gas tank to hold it would be ginormous.

If the idea is out there, Motor companies would have started development. Motor companies and gas stations have no relation whatsoever so whats stopping them from making cars that can do 100+MPG. Most consumer would purchase these car (IE why theres so many Prius)

In the end, fossil fuel is a dying breed and should not be worth investing money to as eventually oil supply will dry out. The smarter way to go electric, diesel, hydrogen.. etc. 50 years from now you would laugh at the use of gasoline to power vehicles (just as kerosene was used for lighting back in 1800s)
It is very possible actually, there are guys out there that have done vapor systems with no problem, only thing is that they would run it as a cold vapor system in a carbeurated engine which would be susceptable to puddling(vapor turning back into liquid). Also the fuel in the system starts off as a liquid in a normal sized tank and converted to a vapor in a seperate smaller tank by heating it, which also changes some of the properties of the fuel molecules vs using the cold vapor. So, having to create entirely different engine is unneccesary. Combustion engines can run on vapors and gases, as TheRealSy90 said about a pro am drift car with a 1JZ running propane.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #51
Juantwo3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
Juantwo3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Cool

Big brother is watching
Juantwo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #52
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
but if you can explain to me why none of them are put into production and why all these patents were bought out by oil companies as soon as their inventors had died
They never get put into production because they cost way too damn much to be put on a production car, the sheeple couldn't afford it.

People die because everything dies, you gonna die one day too and I will obviously think that it was because you discovered how to get a 5000lb car to get 100mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
THIS.
Watch The Gashole on Netflix, or rent it.
Oil comp is corrupt as fuck.
Maybe I will. But until i do, maybe you should google Gashole debunked.

Quote:
Some dude got some 50s 12mpg 4000+lb heap of shit to get over 100mpg. The technology to give cars like ours 150+mpg while maintaining our power is out there, and technically untapped.
Reference needed.

Quote:
But the oil companies are too concerned about money to let it out. Imagine a Prius getting 300+mpg and costing the same? Imagine the ZR1 or a H1 Hummer getting over 100mpg and still having the same amount of HP/tq.
What kind of engineer are you? Just wondering, not trying to be a dick.