Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Chernobyl
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
Chernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Odd S14 spindles / knuckles. Pics.

Ok guys I've been meaning to ask this for a while:

I have a pair of brand new knuckles I got with my S14 years ago but when I was doing a 5-lug swap, the ones on the car were a little different so I ended up using those. The difference was that the ones had space for a thick washer between the spindle bolt and the bearing / hub assembly.

These ones that I have laying around aren't long enough for that washer, so the spindle nut would just thread down to the bearing face:

I don't have a photo of the style that's on my car, but it's a 95 S14 Base...

What's the deal here? Were there two different types of S14 knuckles, or are the ones in the photo S13 units? The 5-lug hubs I had fit well on both of these. I just put them on the knuckles already on the car since it was less work.

Any ideas?
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
s14s all had the same spindles except for ABS units are a bit different i think

but the 5 lug will fit on any s14 model of spindle

that washer u are supposed to put on all hub changeovers because all hubs (s14 and s13) use that type of thick washer.
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
Chernobyl
Zilvia FREAK!

Chernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond repute
That's the weird thing. With the spindles shown, I could put the 5 lug hub on, put the washer on, and then there wasn't enough thread to fully thread the nut in place. Did different years use different width washers / nuts...?

I really should have taken photos because this has been bothering me for a couple years.

Does the spindle I posted look normal to you?
Old 02-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
looks normal to me
could be the nut size? but im not sure, i haven't changed hubs in sometime and when i do, its pretty straightforward don't really think about it.
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Chernobyl
Zilvia FREAK!

Yea I'm just wondering if I should cut these up and make some quick steering knuckles or use the ones on the car. Trying to minimize downtime. Thanks for your input man.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
Chernobyl
Zilvia FREAK!

Compare to the ones shown here:

Note the one on the far right: There is a "length of material" between the threaded portion and where the bearing rests. That is where the washer goes. The knuckles currently on my S14 have this. The ones I posted in the original post do not.

Weird.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
How big are the spindle holes?

12mm - S13
14mm - S14

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Chernobyl
Zilvia FREAK!

Sorry it took a while... They are 14mm. So they are S14 spindles, but it's still weird that they are shorter than other photos and my other ones on the car...
Old 03-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I"m bringing this thread back beacause i have the short type of spindle that is pictured at the top. And like Chernobyl said if you use that thick washer there seems to be not enough thread left. Can anyone tell me whats going on? And the weird thing is, it doesnt have a hole to put the pin in after the Nut.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
hitman
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
hitman is close to perfectionhitman is close to perfectionhitman is close to perfectionhitman is close to perfectionhitman is close to perfectionhitman is close to perfectionhitman is close to perfectionhitman is close to perfectionhitman is close to perfectionhitman is close to perfectionhitman is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hitman
front spindles on s14 dont use the cotter pin, the nut has flat section and so does the rod/shaft thing on the spindle and you just hammer that part of the nut in with a hammer/screw driver so it sits flat/tight against that rod/input threaded thing. thats how it locks on, not with a pin
Old 03-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman View Post
front spindles on s14 dont use the cotter pin, the nut has flat section and so does the rod/shaft thing on the spindle and you just hammer that part of the nut in with a hammer/screw driver so it sits flat/tight against that rod/input threaded thing. thats how it locks on, not with a pin

well that answers one question, but you can see in the pictures the size difference and you can also see that one has a hole for the cotter pin and one doesnt. Whats the deal with the shorter spindle? If i put the hub on theres not enough room for the washer.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #12
Picole278
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Picole278 is making a name for him/her selfPicole278 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I know this thread is extremely old but I just spent all day trying to find the answer. I am responding so future generations won't have to spend so much time on this haha. I have confirmed that kouki s14 produced after 04/97 have a different spindle type that does NOT require a washer. The nut acts as a washer/nut combo. I called a few places and found out the dealership actually has different part numbers for kouki spindles vs zenki spindles. This was crosschecked by finding a NOS spindle for sale with the matching kouki part number, which does not have a flat notch for the washer.

In my situation, the car must have been 5 lug swapped and whoever did it threw in the spacer thinking it was necessary even though there is no flat notch and fitment is horrible. I cannot think of one reason why a washer is necessary on the kouki spindle type. The nut is completely flat, and more evenly makes contact with the bearing, not to mention it threads on alot more without the washer, to answer singlesamslam's dilemma
Picole278 is offline   Reply With Quote