Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #181
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAuthority
i didnt say you didnt know what you were talking about BigV., I just enjoyed the strong tone in which you used to call that guy out on his NA setup. just breathe, there's nothing but love here. no need for bad rep
I think my problem is getting too fadded on liquor before coming to zilvia. I honestly don't remember giving you bad rep, if I did my bad, I'll fix it in a bit....
Old 06-15-2006, 08:34 PM   #182
TheAuthority

TheAuthority is a well-known jackass
haha, it's cool man, it happens. i tend to do that to from time to time. i'm a beer guy though.
TheAuthority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #183
tre
Zilvia Junkie

tre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enough
Theres a rev limiter on auto ecu's 6800
Old 06-16-2006, 04:33 PM   #184
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
Theres a rev limiter on auto ecu's 6800
There are no 4th and 5th gear governor's since it is an automatic. Better than maxing out at 115MPH in 4th and 5th gear. 6800RPM in 5th is almost 135MPH.
The reason why those limiters are added are to prevent you from blowing out the bottom end or the thin piston rings that the KA comes with. Also the stock valve springs and retainers can't handle rev very much higher thn that.
Tre you should study abit on displacement and the effect that it has on rev. Unless the bottom end is significantly built, along with titanium retainers and springs, no NA KA will make power past 6300RPM before the power band deminishes to nothing even before 6800RPM.
Reason Being that it has a massive rod stroke ratio (it is a stroker engine not a high reving engine to begin with). The crank shaft is larger than most high rev 4bangers.
A perfect example is the grandfather of the KA the FJ24, it used a larger piston and a smaller crank, and shorter rod to make power to about 7400RPM it could make a redline probably past 8000RPM, which even by it's standards is hard to accomplish, especially since that is the scope of rev and redline for a typical 2.2 litre with a slightly longer rod (kind of like the honda H22A big block engine)
Old 06-16-2006, 07:08 PM   #185
tre
Zilvia Junkie

tre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enough
I belive the KA is geared to 155mph 5th gear at 7000 or was it 7200

I know how displacement affects revs. But Money fixes that problem. Just like the KA24DE's that hit 10k rpms

Here are a few pics of one. Single gear. Spinning tires at 100mph at the track. (Enginge only shots at his garage)

But he ran a high comp stock bearing/rod/pistons(3 valve) And rev it to 8k all day long no problem.

I'm just following this guy and what he's done.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:39 PM   #186
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
But he ran a high comp stock bearing/rod/pistons(3 valve) And rev it to 8k all day long no problem.

I'm just following this guy and what he's done.
Tre the stock internals can take 400WHP easily. When you talk about rev and how achieved it thats another thing.
I'm willing to bet the crank was shaved (knife edged, and balanced), and the valve train (springs, retainers, and exhaust valves were swapped out).
KA's can't handle that rev for to long on it's stock valve train to it's displacement. Alot of those guy's use the OEM valve train components from the CA18det which comes with titanium retainers to reduce valve floating and increase it's strength at that RPM.
Valvetrain components from the CA are in direct compatibility with the KA, so yeah technically it's still stock oem.........
I actually spoke with a guy named Mike out in Washington that was running pretty similar to the same setup, he was asking me for info on how to get a fully counterweighed crank through NISMO so he could rev to something like 9500RPM redline. He told me he was getting 8000RPM rev with those parts and work that I just listed. If you didn't notice most of those engines run on a dry sump oil system and for a good reason too. Our stock engines are wet sump and arent as effecient as needed for that type of rev. One of the reasons why I was pushing scrapers and windage trays for the KA.

BTW our stock plenums will drop an automatic 30WHP in high rev anyways the runners are to damn long and make the engine go anemic enough as it is!!!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:46 PM   #187
tre
Zilvia Junkie

His valve train was redone. and that was it.

And he said only 10whp with the plenums

Oh yeah, with dyno testing. THe longer the runner the more hp he made.

It could be because he's running alcohol. I dont know. but the longer it was the more power he made top end.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:40 AM   #188
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre

It could be because he's running alcohol. I dont know. but the longer it was the more power he made top end.
Runner design allows for swirl. So yeah technically the engine does need a certain length of runner to help with the mixture process of air to fuel. If the runner length is too long then there is too much void from the plenum to the engine making the vacuum effect and cfm less effective at higher RPM.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #189
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Anyways my final piece to leave with this thread.
Scott ran a 14.91, @ 89.63MPH. You don't have to go all out increasing leaness and your Exhaust temprature to do it. Everythin that I explained earlier all summed up.
Tre ran a 14.96 @ 93MPH
http://www.geocities.com/wssnider/240sx.html
Old 06-19-2006, 10:18 PM   #190
ryan hagen
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
ryan hagen is making a name for him/her selfryan hagen is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
ushally longer runners are associated with torque and short runners with horsepower, tends to tip the balance, for my turbo car i need to switch to a short runner manifold, on gen3 vipers they finally went short runner and it made a huge differece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
His valve train was redone. and that was it.

And he said only 10whp with the plenums

1990 hatch ka24de gt2871r
ryan hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #191
Luka240nos

Luka240nos is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
15.6 on a stock setup would be considered impressive.

Considering a stock s13 can't break into the 15's ( to my knowledge )

My friend hit a 15.6 with his Intake/cat back s13

I personally hit a 14.9 I'm betting I can drop it down to 14.7 or 14.6 with a few more tweaks.
Last year I hit a 15.93 with a .764 launch which was real shitty and the car is stock
Luka240nos is offline   Reply With Quote