Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-25-2006, 12:46 PM   #31
snatch13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
snatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
damn looks good! its sooo purdy!
snatch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #32
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
too bad that KA is going to a pinked member

:-P
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:19 PM   #33
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Tenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Busy day at the shop today

I got the engine in. Had to pry bar the tunnell ( do yourself a favor and hammer it back while the eigine is out) around the starter houseing, move a few hoses around, and move this vent thing:

also you have to take off the ignitor, and use a jack to lift the trans while slideing it in and you can get it in with all the pullies on. that and it worked best to mount the motor mounts to the engine and not to the x-member.

then i had to pry to get the trans mounts to line up, but they did. driveshaft fits perfectly.

here's how it sits with the Syko mounts:

also when i put the engine in i left the shifter on (the stick) and it fit fine.

on the down side when i was messing with getting the engine in i notices that the hose that goes into the steering rack got flattened out (see pic above hose in middle goes out, now it is flat) so i am going to have to bend and hope on that next time i am working.

the turob outlet/downpipe is a BITCH!!!! syko kit provides 2 bolts (cause the stock won't fit) for the sides, and i am here to say that those 2 side bolts are horrible. they are 12 sided, so a 11mm open or a 10mm closed wrentch. but there is no clearance on the upper one so i took the open 11 and had to put it paralell to the ground comeing out of the bolt and twist by turning my fingers. my had was cramped to hell by the time i was done.

also hooked up fuel lines, they are 5/16 and i found out that the factory fuel filter holder will hold a 300zx fuel filter without breaking a sweat. i just bent it out a bit and the filter popped right on and is held securily.

Lastly here is mt solution to the throttle cable issue. i read on on how henery did it, and i was looking at my bent to hell stock bracket and thought that by the time i finished straightening that one and doing the mod i could have built my own. so i checked for clearance and went to cutting on a block off from my auto trans and 30 min later i had this:

no throttle

WOT with no clearance issues:

late i will work on the angles some more and also secureing the throttle cable to things, but i have a metric shit-ton of stuff laying around from the KA so i am not worried.

that was my day from about 11-4
Tenchuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:07 PM   #34
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchuu

the turob outlet/downpipe is a BITCH!!!! syko kit provides 2 bolts (cause the stock won't fit) for the sides, and i am here to say that those 2 side bolts are horrible. they are 12 sided, so a 11mm open or a 10mm closed wrentch. but there is no clearance on the upper one so i took the open 11 and had to put it paralell to the ground comeing out of the bolt and twist by turning my fingers. my had was cramped to hell by the time i was done.
hahahha, Ken, you should have put the downpipe on before dropping the engine in. Also, you are correct those side bolts are there for clearance issues. With the proper wrench they should not be a problem. All in all you got it done and thats what counts.
P.S. I talked to Syko about it and the proper tool is a standard 12 point 10 mm box end wrench. That is the wrench that should be used.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html

Last edited by drift freaq; 03-27-2006 at 10:04 AM..
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #35
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

anyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to behold
Good stuff... I'm getting ready to drop my RB into my S14 very soon, so I appreciate any threads I can find like this one that help my know what to expect.
anyotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #36
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tenchuu, looks good man. What are you doing for cooling fans? Are you planning to keep AC?
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:59 PM   #37
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Tenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfection
mellow- for cooling i am sporting 2 10" HP permacool fans---- got too good a deal on them to pass up plus between them both should push 2500cfm (http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page16.html)

Today i wasn't paying attention to the time and only got like 2 hours of work in.

the list:
-Drained trans/cleaned plug
-Filled trans back up 3 bottles Royal purple
-connected clutch line
-filled/bled clutch
-made Big power steering line fit that bolts into PS pump
-Found out that the small line has to be replaced, but it's not high pressure so should be no problem

Getting vaccume diagram from Gary (thanks) so the mystery of the lines will be solved.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #38
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

New stuff:

the mounts:

Got the heater hoses connected today. they were a bitch.

here are accuator and mysterio hoses that i was wondering about before:

and after:

Yes i realive that it is wrong. i just realized tonight that the hybrid FMIC kit uses 1 or the stock pipes with a nipple on it so i am going to hook that up to the pipe rather than where it is right now and block off that small hose pictured.

the other 2 hoses blocked off and unbolted:

My handy dandy reverse Power steering line:

also for the big power steering resivour return line i bought 1.5 feet of 5/8in hose and used that to connect it. perfect fit.

now i am fumbeling through the wireing, but Gary is willing to work with me on it so i am not quite so confused so. problem is that i had an OBd II and have never disconected the wireing on a RB before so it is really hit and miss on me finding where all the stuff goes since i have about 10-15 extra OBDII plugs that i don't use now. but when i run into something rather difficult i will include it here.

it is the fuel pressure dampener, helps to cut pulsations in the fuel lines, and Not totally necessary.

On a seperate note, since this has turned from me randomly talking about gettting stuff into a 1/2 writeup do you guys think it should be moved to the tech section for the general population to have too? I was kinda thinking that.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:26 PM   #39
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Yes zilvia another RB writeup, hopefully this will help out some other members, that's why it just kinda showed up here being moved from premie land
Old 03-30-2006, 08:04 PM   #40
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

another day at working. got all the wireing installed today. it was really easy thanks to Gary. thanks!

i am woking on some pics to show you where some of the harder stuff was at.

I never took the aareness off the car, but i was able to put everything back on. here are the 3 hard wires to get:

the two green ones are knock sensors that are round and have 1 preng on them. the green is where a ble puug goes onto. that one i never would have fouind without Gary telling me about it. still to come where the wireing goes.

but then i went to the intercooler pipeing. now this stuff is a bieatch.
the kit is the Hybrid kit for the R33 RB sith S14 mounts. and boy is it interesting here is me trying to fit it:

and me denting it trying to bend it:

it's not likeing me at all righ now for as far as i can tell this fits my car as well as it would fit a F250.

so i said screw it and went to the other pipe to see if it was a bit more cooperative.

things looked good!

and it worked!!!
next issue is that damn power steering hose. i am going to have to find another way to mount it. looks like i am going to have to get all sneaky sneaky with it to get it to fit.

not too bad, about 4 hours today.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:18 PM   #41
Siizzzoooo
Zilvia FREAK!

Siizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really nice
good stuff man! I love these kinds of hands on threads

keep us updated
Old 03-30-2006, 11:11 PM   #42
SYKORB26

SYKORB26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Tenchuu,
Your swap is looking great. I'm curious to see how the Hybrid intercooler kit will work with our mounts.

Just one small thing that I noticed. From your picture, it looks like you transfered the old RB heat shield onto the left (driver's side) motor mount. Our mounts were designed to not need the heat shield. By using it , you run the risk of transfering some engine vibration through the shield as it may contact the outer aluminum housing surrounding the motor mount. As for heat, this same outer aluminum housing serves as an integrated heat shield to protect the urethane. Because the shield is already on there, you can leave it for now. If it rattles or causes vibrations, either remove it or try bending it away from the aluminum housing which surrounds the mount. Good luck with the rest of your swap. Let us know if you need any further assistance.
-Gary Narusawa
www.sykoperformance.com
SYKORB26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:30 AM   #43
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

i did not know that. ahh well one way to find out how it will work. hopefully by sunday i will drive it out of the shop. yay for 2 week turnaround. and that is with the water pump replacement and waiting on parts too. i think i'm doing well for the first time. not great, but decent.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:00 AM   #44
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow looks like fun putting in the fmic piping

out of curiosity, what is the metal/blue box in the lower left quadrant of this pic (two black wires coming out of it)?
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:30 AM   #45
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
^^ HID Ballest.
Ritz S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:44 AM   #46
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Everything appears kinda tight in there. But damn, man... get that RB up and purring!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:55 AM   #47
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello88
Wow looks like fun putting in the fmic piping

out of curiosity, what is the metal/blue box in the lower left quadrant of this pic (two black wires coming out of it)?
yep that is the HID ballest
Old 03-31-2006, 08:39 PM   #48
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

OK once again i forgot my camera. i think i am going crazy. all i have to say today is that i worked on my IC pipeing and mounting from 3pm-730pm and that i would rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon than buy a hybrid pipeing kit again. NOTHING and i repeat nothing fits like it is supposed to. alot of hacking and hole sawing later i have the pipeing 1/2 way working, but it still needs to be cut more. and 1/6 mounts might fit. that is right the only 2 mounts that 1/2 way work are directional and they sent me 2 lefts. BOO HYBRID!!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 08:50 PM   #49
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kouki_s14
i had a feeling that was gonna happen since the kit was based on the R33 chassis, just with different mounting brackets. not to mention the motor sits differently in a S14 then a skyline.
sorry to hear that, but hope it turns out well
good luck on the rest

henry
kouki_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:14 PM   #50
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

OK I remembered my camera today...... but forgot to get the battery out of the charger.

so i finally got the radiator hoses after running around all day i ended up with this:

and at $70/hose i feel like i just raped by all 3 pep boys.

Both of these are the 2 foot length. pics later on what i did wit them.
Also hybrid kit i found out that 0/6 mounts work. i had to hack the mounts to make so the headlights could sit in there.but more on that later also.

What i did today:
mounted electric fans
hooked up Inter cooler top mounts
Hooked up and re sized all intercooler pipeing to work
Made interecooler upper mounts work
Found, sized and installed radiator hoses and temp sensor

left to do tommarow:
make and attatch lower IC brackets
re-connect all rear battery wireing/power distribution blocks
attatch intake
change oil
start engine to make sure it is all good
assemble car and drive away.

oh yes........................... i should be done tommarow and it's about damn time.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #51
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

SUCESS!!!!!! the motor starts and runs. too bad i have to leave it in the shop for a while longer. and i brought my camera!!

First off her is the final pipeing end results:

I ended up cutting about an intch off the end of the top pipe where it connects to the factory intake) to get it to sit like this and not directly on top of the radiator:

and yes i do have to pullup on the IC pipe to get the rad cap off.

end result:

Here are those expensive ass hoses i told you about in action:

For referance the shifter:

and this is how i left my car today in the shop. i really wanted to take it home but no can do:
Old 04-02-2006, 10:06 PM   #52
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

also is anyone likeing this info? need more? or am i just talking to myself?
Old 04-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #53
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
I love the info... keep it up
Old 04-02-2006, 11:22 PM   #54
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchuu
also is anyone likeing this info? need more? or am i just talking to myself?
I subscribed a looong time ago Good job.

A question I've always wondered: Why isn't it dangerous to just have a mesh/net on the MAF instead of a filter? I've seen it numerous times, but never understood it. Is that just for like track days, or is it safe to have it like that all the time? (I know it'll help more flow to the turbo)
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:25 PM   #55
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

well i know that living in Oregon it rains, and a filter keeps out some of that rain. but right now i have no filter. anyone in San diego that wants to trade a pop filter or a cone filter for an ARC intake bax tommarow i need one.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:37 AM   #56
kingmoochr

kingmoochr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neejay
I subscribed a looong time ago Good job.

A question I've always wondered: Why isn't it dangerous to just have a mesh/net on the MAF instead of a filter? I've seen it numerous times, but never understood it. Is that just for like track days, or is it safe to have it like that all the time? (I know it'll help more flow to the turbo)
the larger the holes on your filter, the larger the particles that can enter the system. it is not safe to just run a mesh piece as a filter, especially on a street car. people do it at the track because theres is generally less debris, and its usually a dedicated race car. or they just dont care about screwing it up by sucking in someting that shouldnt have been sucked in.
kingmoochr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #57
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

IT'S ALIVE AND RUNNING!!!!!
so i am driveing it around today. one thing that took me awhile to figure out is the screw to bleed the coolent system. here it is circled in yellow:

basically took a funnel and shoved it in the radiator when cold, then poured cooland in it until the hole that the screw was in had coolent comeing out without bubbeling.

as fas as the ried height goes, i will have pics soon, but it used to have a 2.5 finger gap on the front wheels, now it is a 2 finger gap. and that is with tokiko blues and RSR TI2000 springs.

PICS:

also as mentioned by everyone else the strut brace won't fit cause it hits the throttle assembley. also my ARC induction box is a no go cause of it being too big. so invest in a pop or cone filter.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:29 PM   #58
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Holy shit that intercooler hangs down there, don't it!?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #59
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Yeah my Origion front bumper is going on veary soon. also i broke a hose clamp on the IC tonight, or course it had to be pouring when it happened, but luckley i had a spare radiator hose type clamp. I think i will be switching all my clamps over to that type.

just to re comfirm it, I broke a screw on the hybrid clamp kit with stock RB boost.

once again, that kit is not the best... you save money, and with alot of effort it can be made to fit, at least i diddn't have to weld anything.

Some loose change i am still woking on:
correct temp sender
trim the auto brake pedalslotting the holes in the KA ECU holder so the ECU will fit
eventually hook my SAFC back up
Type R BOV
tradeing my ARC intake box for a filter that will fit (i have no air filter as of now yeah i know i should have one but the guy that i was supposed to bet one from tonight bailed.)
Old 04-04-2006, 11:43 PM   #60
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kouki_s14
that's about how low my IC sits too, but my front lip covers the lower portion.
about the temp sender, take the one from your KA, it helps your gauge inside the car read more accuratly

henry
kouki_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote