Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-05-2006, 12:05 AM   #61
OdessaS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
OdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to OdessaS13
with that FMIC hangin out you should be really considering security(if you dont already have any) with all the shit thats been goin on recently, very clean swap btw

1992 240sx 5 spd. - Sold / 02 Maxima Se
OdessaS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2006, 07:49 AM   #62
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Tenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Henery- I think Napa doesn't have a clue what sender goes in the KA, but i am working on getting the old one off of my motor still.

Odessas13- I am in the works on some security issues, nothing i will mention, but diabolically clever none the less.
Tenchuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #63
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Tenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfection
OK i went to NAPA and carquest and they list one gereric sender that is for all nissans 93-99 ..... witch is wrong. after alot of headacher i tracked it down to autozone as a water temp switch that is a Wells TU222 that is the one for a S14 stock guage. learn from my headache. Also the brand new napa thermostat isn't openign at the correct temp. it is opening at about 208 instead of 170 so i would also suggest the NISMO low temp unit (Part number 21200-RS580) cause now i already paid 90 for a coolent flush to find this out and i will have to drain and replace the coolant while the motor is in the car. witch will suck.

Fuel pump being switched out (hopefully) sunday.

and don't forget to change the oil filter, in my rush i forgot. it's the same oil filter as a 300Z or S14 240sx. so look for both those when you cross referance it.

any other little things jump up as possible problems I will address it as i go along.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:38 PM   #64
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Old 04-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #65
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

installed the walbro fuel pump today. Yes the one that broke because i orderd a second one and that one was broke too in the exact same spot. so JB weld to the rescue, let it cure for over 15 hours and tossed it in today. It noticibly pulls harder at higher RPMs than it did before. of course i only pulled higher a couple of times before cause of fear of blowing the fuel pump. but now the only thing i really have left is the lot temp thermostat that i will be ordering monday.

on a side note, my front tires now kinda squeal, but i am taking in in for an alighnment on monday also so hopefully that will go away.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:07 PM   #66
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So everything is ok now? Like, you can daily drive it now?
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #67
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

I have been driveing it for a few days now. last 3 things i have to do on it:

get a damn air filter
feplace napa 208deg thermostat with nismo 169deg thermostat
get a front end alighnment

after those 3 things i should be back to completely reliable status. if i get them done this week i will be takeing a trip up to grover beatch with it this weekend. of course i will be packing tools also though.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #68
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Video!! Sound clips?! Something?!
Old 04-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #69
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchuu
I have been driveing it for a few days now. last 3 things i have to do on it:

get a damn air filter
feplace napa 208deg thermostat with nismo 169deg thermostat
get a front end alighnment

after those 3 things i should be back to completely reliable status. if i get them done this week i will be takeing a trip up to grover beatch with it this weekend. of course i will be packing tools also though.
Niiiice. Man I wish I could swap...or just get my car up and on the road...
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #70
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero
Video!! Sound clips?! Something?!

I'll see what i can do for a vid today after work
Old 04-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #71
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
LIES! You aren't going to work! hehe
Old 04-10-2006, 05:08 PM   #72
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero
LIES! You aren't going to work! hehe
true, but no one is ther to hold the camera since THEY are all at work.

and here's a pic for you (Nismo 21200-RS580):

I'll add how it was to change the thermo with the engine in the car after i am done. i hope it's ouly a 3-5 / 10 difficulty, but i will see.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #73
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Good news thermostat replacement is about a 2/10 difficulty, now i will wait for it to settle a bit and take it for a drive.

after talking around the gerneral consinsus was to let the gasket material set for 1 hr, witch i did, then got it running and had to torque down the bolts some more. but all looks fine i will take it out for a drive and see later.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #74
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kouki_s14
i got nissan OEM filters, for some reason the RB one is very small compared to the KA one. the box does not say it is interchangable with the KA, mainly other RBs. maybe it has something to do with a pressure thing, but i am gonna trust the guys that make the motor when they tell me what filter to use.
cheaper than most places too, if you buy more than 3 its $3.50 each

henry
kouki_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:49 PM   #75
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

I got the filter info off racebread, it is on thier USDM interface section, basically a FAQ of interchangeable parts. And i've seen that info around, that and it was an exact match to the filter i took off of it also. i figure it's a sure thing if it has been aroud as common infor for a while and is ran by alot of guys. i suppose i would go with nissan filters if i could get them easily.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:42 AM   #76
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Yet another Syko Performance RB install kit swapped car runs!!!

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:13 PM   #77
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Well results on the cooling issues. car now idles/stays at around 208 deg in the heat. witch it went up when i was deiveing to the alighnment shop, witch i really don't like. so it seems that i am left with one of 3 options left.

1. remove AC cooler and strap e-fans directly to radiator (but i can feel them blowing cool ait through the radiator already)
2. drop $2xx on bigger 12" fans (current fans are 2 10" pushing 2000 CFM)
3. install new bumper (sitting in my house, but not painted) that has alot bigger vent for air to increase ariflow in.

what does severyone think?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #78
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

That's a hot bitch...
I don't understand why if you have a koyo AND fans on WITH a nismo thermo?
I don't overheat, I'm using OEM rad, AC fan only... and oem thermo..

WTF mate?
Old 04-11-2006, 08:33 PM   #79
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

So now i removed the AC condenser
it seems that getting the fiberglass bumper to fit will be about a 4-6 hr affair.

but i did notice that the air is blowing STRONG through the koyo now where it was a breeze before.

I'll keep everyone posted of the results.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:14 PM   #80
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
i need to check the temp of my coolant, but i havnt had any overheating problems with my setup (2 pusher 12's, with AC, stock radiator, and stock thermostat). maybe it's your bigger ic or the koyo is heat soaking or a combination of the two.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:30 PM   #81
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouki_s14
i need to check the temp of my coolant, but i havnt had any overheating problems with my setup (2 pusher 12's, with AC, stock radiator, and stock thermostat). maybe it's your bigger ic or the koyo is heat soaking or a combination of the two.
Well Henry your setup is pretty good. I would say his Permacool fans are inefficent and possibly not even as powerful as they are rated at. I have always put my trust in Flex-a-lite becuase they are proven. I would also say your possibly right about the heat soak on the koyo. Its a proven fact they do heatsoak.
Good luck though Ken on mounting the Permacool direct to your radiator. I hope it works for you.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:54 PM   #82
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Even so.. isn't Koyo > stock?

I just am struggling with the over-heating issue...
WITH a nismo thermo?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #83
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

NO noticable differance in the coolent temp gauge. i will lazer the thing tommarow to see if there is a differance. also it was suggested that i switch from antifreeze to watterwetter. I suppose i could also swap back to the KA radiator, altho it does seem a little wrong to swap to a smaller radiator to get better cooling. but i have heard about that also...... guess i am a RB guinnepig on the koyo radiator. but man am i getting tired of daining and switching all of the coolent out of that thing.

maby it might help if i put back on the under body aero too? ALso i tok off the cooling panel just to see if it is restricting the amount of air that the fans are able to pull into the the radiator.

i dunno this is about to becoem expensive and time consumeing to fix. another new radiator... or two new fans..... or both that is an extra 400-600 that i really don't need to spend with me quiting my job in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:16 PM   #84
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

i think the easiest solution right now is to get a single Flex A Lite puller. it will squeeze in between the motor on the passenger side. Dave ran it that way with that as the only fan and it worked for him. i plan to add the puller soon since socal is gonna start heating up.

henry
Old 04-11-2006, 11:22 PM   #85
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
With all that shit that was in the block when you took the water pump off. I would consider a Radiator Flush such as 'Zerex Super Radiator Cleaner' to get the rest of the crap out of there.

I think you have a clog in your system that is blocking/restricting coolant flow.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #86
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Ordered FAL pushers tonight. if that doesn't work be on the lookut for someone who wante to buy a 98 RB 240 for me everyone.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #87
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB
With all that shit that was in the block when you took the water pump off. I would consider a Radiator Flush such as 'Zerex Super Radiator Cleaner' to get the rest of the crap out of there.

I think you have a clog in your system that is blocking/restricting coolant flow.

I already had a coolent system clean/flush by a shop the other day.

on a different note i had an alighnment today and the car is back to driveing good.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:03 AM   #88
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

order a puller!!!!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:24 AM   #89
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouki_s14
order a puller!!!!
no room with the FMIC
Old 04-12-2006, 01:45 AM   #90
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

10 inch FAL may fit under the piping