Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #121
916S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
well zapped the top nut with the impact once, and the noise went away, thanks 240on430. Now to get rid of the clunk when i turn. I emailed Stance about it, but they didnt get baclk to me. And i also bought mine at a shop near San Francisco. so hopefully they dont hassle me about where i bought it. i'll post how it goes.
916S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #122
240on430
Zilvia Member

240on430 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 916S14 View Post
i know its not the exhause for sure because its coming from the front, it sounds like the strut is moving... but i know its no because i had my friend drive my car while i checked everything out, i have no yet torqued the top nut down yet, so i'll try to zap it lightly with a torque gun.
fwiw, I can see 4 threads left after tightening the top nut down on the old and new mounts.
240on430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #123
916S14
Zilvia Junkie

916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
yeah i tightened mine and you can see about 4 or 3 1/2 threads. Thanks man.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #124
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
well zapped the top nut with the impact once, and the noise went away, thanks 240on430. Now to get rid of the clunk when i turn. I emailed Stance about it, but they didnt get baclk to me. And i also bought mine at a shop near San Francisco. so hopefully they dont hassle me about where i bought it. i'll post how it goes.
they might be waiting for the other people to report back.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #125
916S14
Zilvia Junkie

Hey 240on430, you said you bought yours from some shop right? not from the actual Stance company? So when you called to get your new mounts, they didnt ask where your bought and if you had warranty or not?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #126
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Hey 240on430, you said you bought yours from some shop right? not from the actual Stance company? So when you called to get your new mounts, they didnt ask where your bought and if you had warranty or not?
ya i told them where and when i bought them.

they didn't ask about a warranty.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #127
916S14
Zilvia Junkie

sweet, thank you man, i'm trying to get a hold of them, but its labor day, so yeah. Tomorrow hopefully. I'll post results.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #128
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
chuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Called Stance earlier today. They said they'd send out my replacement mounts today or tomorrow. They had my name and address on file because I emailed them before but they did ask where I got them from but that was it. Will report back when I get them.
chuonthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #129
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Can someone PM me the contact info you guys used to get ahold of stance to express your issues?

I'm having the same problems but I have the full circle mounts. WTF
Old 09-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #130
916S14
Zilvia Junkie

Still no reply from Stance =(. But today i noticed a new problem. Every time i drive into a steep driveway or make a hard turn the BACK coilovers make that sounds. It sounds the same as the "boing" from the front, but now its coming from the back. I did the 2 turns of preload and all that BS. Dont know whats happening.... Any ideas? thanks.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #131
ewuzh
Zilvia Member

ewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of lightewuzh is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuonthis View Post
Called Stance earlier today. They said they'd send out my replacement mounts today or tomorrow. They had my name and address on file because I emailed them before but they did ask where I got them from but that was it. Will report back when I get them.
Coo. They just told me they are sending me a set too. I hope it fixes everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero View Post
Can someone PM me the contact info you guys used to get ahold of stance to express your issues?

I just went to their website, Stance-usa.com. The contact info is all there.
ewuzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #132
916S14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero View Post

I called Stance and they said that it doesnt matter which mounts it is, the full of 2/3 cirlce ones. They said thats its a bad bearing and they are replacing everyones that calls in. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #133
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Quote:
I called Stance and they said that it doesnt matter which mounts it is, the full of 2/3 cirlce ones. They said thats its a bad bearing and they are replacing everyones that calls in. Good luck.
sweet, thanks for that.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:36 PM   #134
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Still no reply from Stance =(. But today i noticed a new problem. Every time i drive into a steep driveway or make a hard turn the BACK coilovers make that sounds. It sounds the same as the "boing" from the front, but now its coming from the back. I did the 2 turns of preload and all that BS. Dont know whats happening.... Any ideas? thanks.
do you have the rear helper springs? I also hear a noise from the coilovers in the rear when going up or down a driveway on 3 wheels. I think its the helper spring compressing all the way and the metal to metal makes the noise we hear. it doesn't bother me though.I can't remember if I hear the noise when the 4th wheel goes off the ground or goes down.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #135
916S14
Zilvia Junkie

No i dont have helper springs. And yeah it makes that noise when the rear wheel goes off the ground. Makes a BOING sounds like the spring is settling in there or moving around or binding.... still trying to figure that one out. any help would be great! =)
Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #136
davidrools

davidrools is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
any chance you're driving a HICAS equipped s13?
davidrools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #137
davidrools

davidrools is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitsfreak81 View Post
so i will ask once again, how have you been keeping the shaft from turning when adjusting/removing the top nut. and please dont say you grabbed the shaft with vise grips. thanks.

mike
if you don't have an impact wrench, a big (i mean BIG) pair of channelocks will let you hold the top spring perch (gold piece) which is fixed to the shaft/male threads. kind of awkward to get up there, i haven't tried it myself but just wanted to offer that suggestion. big channelocks also work great to compress a brake piston when you're replacing pads.
davidrools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #138
916S14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrools View Post
any chance you're driving a HICAS equipped s13?
nope... driving an s14. Still having that noise issue. Tried to look at it yesterday, but cant figure it out. Can it be the rear top mount be messed up too?
Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #139
Munch
Zilvia Member

Munch is an unknown quantity at this point
For people still looking for ways to torque the top nut on the shocks, refer to an earlier post i made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
BTW, for people looking for how to torque the top nut without the piston spinning. The way i did it was i got one of my spanner wrenches, put it in position on the upper spring perch, and wedged it up against the wall of the area where the shock goes. The wrench stops the piston from rotating so u can torque away.
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #140
misfitsfreak81
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
misfitsfreak81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrools View Post
if you don't have an impact wrench, a big (i mean BIG) pair of channelocks will let you hold the top spring perch (gold piece) which is fixed to the shaft/male threads. kind of awkward to get up there, i haven't tried it myself but just wanted to offer that suggestion. big channelocks also work great to compress a brake piston when you're replacing pads.
yeah i have airtools and all that. zapped it with the impact gun till about 4 threads show. still have the noise, not as bad though. i have the full circle mounts as well. anyone else starting to wish they had a gotten different coilovers?

im calling them tomorrow to try and get replacement mounts.
mike
misfitsfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:20 PM   #141
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
D1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
For people still looking for ways to torque the top nut on the shocks, refer to an earlier post i made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch
BTW, for people looking for how to torque the top nut without the piston spinning. The way i did it was i got one of my spanner wrenches, put it in position on the upper spring perch, and wedged it up against the wall of the area where the shock goes. The wrench stops the piston from rotating so u can torque away.
when i originally done that months ago, it worked in stopping the piston from spinning but when i tried it most recently (after i tried flipping the spring upside down), i was no longer able to keep that piston from spinning even with the spanner wrench jammed up there. any clue to what is happening?
D1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #142
Rocklobster

Rocklobster is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys,

I found this thread from a reference.

Us FC3s RX-7 guys are having the same issue with our camber plate top pillowball mounts. Seems like a batch of systems shipped late july and through Aug all have siezed or bad pillowballs.

It's not just your nissan setups.

Sounds like stance is working hard to resolve this though. They said they would send out replacements as soon as they had them in....
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #143
240on430
Zilvia Member

^^^

thanks for posting. are you rx guys hearing the noise on the rear also?

can you post the link to the stance coilover problems thread?

Last edited by 240on430; 09-10-2007 at 03:24 PM..
Old 09-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #144
Rocklobster

I've not had any abnormal noise other than the springs poping and binding in the front end from the bad pillowballs.

I guess i should say that between race exhaust, poly motor, subframe, and trany mounts. Intake noise and all the other stuff that transmits more noise to the cabin i havnt noticed anything that stood out. I'm used to noisy car, but i could tell this issue with my front suspension wasnt right not just fromt he horrible noise created by the coils binding and loading axially but also from all the wicked steering side effects.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #145
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

chuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the rough
I just got off the phone with Stance. I asked them to check on the status of my replacement mounts which they said they would send out last Tue or Wed. They said they hadn't sent them out yet because they didn't have any in stock and were waiting for a shipment of them which would be in "within the next week." Grr...

The real reason I called though was because my coilovers are so bouncy. Not sure if I should use this thread to describe it but here it is: even on the smoothest roads, I am bouncing up and down, especially when I'm driving under 40 mph. It's sometimes like a teeter-totter effect. Other times, it's just the whole car bouncing. With any stiffness setting of 1-7, I pretty much bounce nonstop throughout all roads and freeways. With a setting of 8-13, it's not as bouncy but it's still there, "just stiffened". It's pretty embarrassing driving in a parking lot now since I'm basically bouncing through the parking lot and then when I turn, the springs pop. I've ridden in other S14s with Stance coilovers and they were all normal. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm guessing I have a blown damper somewhere but I can't really see anything in my visual checks. I was going to test out the front dampers when I replaced the front mounts but now that's gonna be at least another 2 weeks, so I guess I'll just check them sooner. ::sigh::
Old 09-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #146
Rocklobster

One other thought, i doubt that the 2/3 vs full circle has anything to do with this problem. It looks to me like the "cut" edge of the circle might be a newer design feature to maximize camber adjustability on your cars. And perhaps when they changed the design they changed the manufacturere and the tollerances got messed up. This is all just my guess.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #147
Rocklobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuonthis View Post
I just got off the phone with Stance. I asked them to check on the status of my replacement mounts which they said they would send out last Tue or Wed. They said they hadn't sent them out yet because they didn't have any in stock and were waiting for a shipment of them which would be in "within the next week." Grr...
Stance is telling me the same thing. But hey, at least they are after it and going to help, and responded to my e-mail the same day.

Quote:
The real reason I called though was because my coilovers are so bouncy. Not sure if I should use this thread to describe it but here it is: even on the smoothest roads, I am bouncing up and down, especially when I'm driving under 40 mph. It's sometimes like a teeter-totter effect. Other times, it's just the whole car bouncing. With any stiffness setting of 1-7, I pretty much bounce nonstop throughout all roads and freeways. With a setting of 8-13, it's not as bouncy but it's still there, "just stiffened". It's pretty embarrassing driving in a parking lot now since I'm basically bouncing through the parking lot and then when I turn, the springs pop. I've ridden in other S14s with Stance coilovers and they were all normal. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm guessing I have a blown damper somewhere but I can't really see anything in my visual checks. I was going to test out the front dampers when I replaced the front mounts but now that's gonna be at least another 2 weeks, so I guess I'll just check them sooner. ::sigh::
This is a classic symptom of too much preload on the springs. Also adding preload will never do anything to cure the problem of a siezed pillow ball or one with too litle clearance and in fact wont help at all. Becauset he car loads the springs the same amount when the car is on its tires regardless of preload.

The shaft nut being too loose can cause the same kind of springs rotating in thier perches problem. It could also be a blown damper but, if the system is relativly new it's more likely that there is too much preload.

The only reason you preload the springs at all is so they dont shift around when the suspension unloads (when the car is on a lift or something) thus changing your alignment.

Your suposed to only have enough preload so you really have to muscle the springs with both hands to get them to turn in the perches when the tires are off the ground.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #148
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

^^^ Running zero preload all around. Each spring barely can't move up and down. Before all this spring popping, I had it at 2 full turns of preload (as recommended in the install sheet) and same problem. I have GR+Pros with helper springs in the rear but I'm pretty sure they compress all the way on load.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #149
overb0ost
Zilvia Junkie

overb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to behold
i've read that 1/4" preload is probably the max you should go on these springs.

however, stance recommends 0 preload.

im running 1/4" and i find it alright.
overb0ost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #150
Rocklobster

I see. Then your probably right, and have one or more blown dampers.

To be honest that is what worries me the most about this issue. Is that all the axial spring loading and having the shaft turn in the damper when steering will prematurely tear up the dampers seals, etc.... I was also worried it might potentially yield the springs in some way.

What a mess......ugh....