Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Farzam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Official ask Farzam a question thread!

This is a character building assignment.

Any reasonable* questions you have, post in here and I will provide an answer.

If you would like my assistance, make sure you do the following.
-Make sure your post is coherent**. If it is not, I will ignore it.
-DO NOT rush me. I will answer in a reasonable period of time.
-Remember that this is zilvia, not the motor trend message board.

NOTE: Not responsible for any damage.

*Reasonable is relative. In this case, the only opinion that matters is mine and a certain moderator's. If there is any discomfort caused by this, make it clear so the snipers on the roof can take you out.

**Coherent. See how I am typing? This is coherency! if u typ lik dis i wil ignor u.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
'90RPS13
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to '90RPS13
When will I figure my timing out?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
When will I get my cam gears off so I can get the head resurfaced?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
Farzam
Post Whore!

Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
I am not a magic 8 ball.
This is not the intention of the thread.

Questions are unreasonable, try again later.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
99 q45 or 04 GSX-R?
Old 04-27-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
WRONG! When I borrow my breaker bar from my good buddy
Old 04-27-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
Baka Sama
Zilvia FREAK!

Baka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfection
Is this part of an attempt to become a moderator?
Old 04-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #8
Jon Michael
Zilvia Member

Jon Michael is making a name for him/her selfJon Michael is making a name for him/her self
Turbo...or not turbo. It's a 1998 ka24de with about 69k on it, and in good shape. Small boost, only about 6-7psi, only want about 200rwhp...Or, I could just leave it alone and stay 100% reliable. Kinda leaning toward turbo...But, still on the fence.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #9
'90RPS13
BANNED

'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to '90RPS13
Hey, lets keep the arguements out, I think its quite funny to be honest.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:11 PM   #10
Farzam
Post Whore!

This question does not pertain to Nissans, but is simple enough.

No, this is not.

This is an attempt to assist zilvians on their journey to vehicular perfection.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:21 PM   #11
blk90s13
Zilvia Member

blk90s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to blk90s13
why did nissan use a fake second cat on all s14 models in the USA ?
Old 04-27-2007, 11:23 PM   #12
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Michael View Post
Turbo...or not turbo. It's a 1998 ka24de with about 69k on it, and in good shape. Small boost, only about 6-7psi, only want about 200rwhp...or, I could just leave it alone and stay 100% reliable. Kinda leaning toward turbo...but still on the fence.
"Small" boost on a t28 is not like "small" boost on a t88d.

If you would be able to sling $3000 easily in the case that your motor blows, as well as affording going through turbocharging AND tuning your vehicle while running proper tuning equipment and a good tuner(Apex'i Power FC, GReddy e-manage, AEM EMS, bikirom, etc.), I would suggest doing so.

Think twice, look once. Don't lego build your motor.

A few good resources to enable you to make a final decision on your own.

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6263
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=62609
Old 04-28-2007, 12:10 AM   #13
Farzam
Post Whore!

If you have a question, DO NOT IM ME. Ask in the thread.

Thank you.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:11 AM   #14
Jon Michael
Zilvia Member

Jon Michael is making a name for him/her selfJon Michael is making a name for him/her self
Sorry for another question...But, I need to get some hood pins. Will the cheap ones on ebay work? I know you get what you pay for, but this isn't a set of coilovers or manifold. I just need some hood pins that will keep my hood down. At least, until I can get some really nice locking ones. So, will these do for now?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:11 AM   #15
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Oooo Oooo! I got one!

Shouldn't this be in Off-Topic?

LOL!

www.360realms.com/S13-S15
Old 04-28-2007, 12:14 AM   #16
Jon Michael
Zilvia Member

I don't really think it should. Farzam has made it clear he will answer questions about Nissan cars, specifically the S14. These are all mechanical questions right now. When people start asking for his help on their love-life, THEN it should be off topic.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:17 AM   #17
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Sorry for another question...But, I need to get some hood pins. Will the cheap ones on ebay work? I know you get what you pay for, but this isn't a set of coilovers or manifold. I just need some hood pins that will keep my hood down. At least, until I can get some really nice locking ones. So, will these do for now?

I have used ebay hood pins.

Didnt' break on me, but the next owner had to buy a new windshield.

Like I said about the KA-T...think twice, move once.

I HAVE heard decent things about the Summit hood pins, which are relatively inexpensive, but IMO i'd still save up and do it right the first time around.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:17 AM   #18
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
Oooo Oooo! I got one!

Shouldn't this be in Off-Topic?

LOL!
Talk to Kevin, this was his suggestion.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:18 AM   #19
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
I don't really think it should. Farzam has made it clear he will answer questions about Nissan cars, specifically the S14. These are all mechanical questions right now. When people start asking for his help on their love-life, THEN it should be off topic.
I never said anything about S14's....

S13/s14/s15 I guess.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:22 AM   #20
Jon Michael
Zilvia Member

Oh yes, don't worry for the turbo set-up I am planning it out and taking the time for a QUALITY build. No crap or ebay parts for me, I have been over to ka-t.org a LOT also soaking up information.

Only reason I ask about the hood pins, is that I just need something for a few weeks or a month until I get my tax return. And, the ones on ebay that are like $5-6 just looked like they might work. But, I wouldn't keep them in the longrun. What brand of hood pins do you recommend, also?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:23 AM   #21
Jon Michael
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzam View Post
I never said anything about S14's....

S13/s14/s15 I guess.
Gah, my bad I meant to write 240. I had just written my other question about my S14...and, I had a brainfart.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:25 AM   #22
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
did u miss the "LOL!"
It was a joke; apparently I should've made it more clear.

www.360realms.com/S13-S15
Old 04-28-2007, 12:32 AM   #23
Zero-Offset
Zilvia Junkie

Zero-Offset is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a question, hopefully a simple answer to go with it.

i turned 16 in january, and i will be getting a job very soon as the summer approaches. I plan on saving about 2500-3000 for a stock 240 for my next birthday, and my question is as follows. I know a fair bit about cars and engines and the like, but i was just wondering what you would suggest for a beginner like me, a 89-90 SOHC 240, or a DOHC S13, in terms of maintenance/turbo capability later on down the road. I am asking since i see that the SOHC 240s usually go for less, but in terms of aftermarket and reliability isues, is it worth it to get a DOHC??

thanks in advance for the reply!
Old 04-28-2007, 12:32 AM   #24
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Oh yes, don't worry for the turbo set-up I am planning it out and taking the time for a QUALITY build. No crap or ebay parts for me, I have been over to ka-t.org a LOT also soaking up information.

Only reason I ask about the hood pins, is that I just need something for a few weeks or a month until I get my tax return. And, the ones on ebay that are like $5-6 just looked like they might work. But, I wouldn't keep them in the longrun. What brand of hood pins do you recommend, also?
For those few weeks i'd honestly rather duct tape my damn hood down. Do you have an aftermarket hood without a hood latch?

You're making me do a lot of work...

IMO i've had Sparco hood pins and they worked...

I'd go check out what our site sponsors sell, and base it off that. Support zilvia's supporters.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:36 AM   #25
d*star180
Zilvia Junkie

d*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond repute
How do you have so many posts in so little goddam time.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:38 AM   #26
Jon Michael
Zilvia Member

Ok, I'll check out the sponsors then. Yeah, I've got a carbon fibre hood. I'll also try and see if I can drive one of my folks' cars, or just make my friends drive more than I do. Thanx, no more questions now, I swear!
Old 04-28-2007, 12:38 AM   #27
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero-Offset View Post
i have a question, hopefully a simple answer to go with it.

i turned 16 in january, and i will be getting a job very soon as the summer approaches. I plan on saving about 2500-3000 for a stock 240 for my next birthday, and my question is as follows. I know a fair bit about cars and engines and the like, but i was just wondering what you would suggest for a beginner like me, a 89-90 SOHC 240, or a DOHC S13, in terms of maintenance/turbo capability later on down the road. I am asking since i see that the SOHC 240s usually go for less, but in terms of aftermarket and reliability isues, is it worth it to get a DOHC??

thanks in advance for the reply!
Let me tell you a little bit about my 240sx history.

It all started out with a dookie brown 240sx hatch. 190k on it...the odometer died at 170k...nothing really worked. It was an auto. I dogged the shit out of it for the 9 months I owned it, put probably 20k on it, and never changed the oil.

The guy I sold it to still drives it today.

If my memory serves me correctly the KAE have a better powerband as well.

Side note: ALWAYS BE 100% HONEST WITH WHAT YOU SELL. Don't do what I did to my car and tell the owner you babied it. I'm 100% up front with everything and everyone else should be.

Now as for modification down the line, many people sell rebuild kits for KAE, but there are many many MANY more parts for the KADE, and KADE is what wins the popularity contest.

If I were you i'd focus more on body condition, cause swapping a KA is easy as cake. I personally worry more about mileage/rust/condition more, cause either will suffice and both will probably be pulled out eventually.

I don't know Canadian prices, but in the US you used to be able to buy a perfect 240sx for $1000USD before Tokyo Drift. Now they want $3000USD. Don't give into the hype...i'd rather get semi-ripped off on a shell and fix it up myself than pay THAT MUCH. But don't get a cursed car, just try and talk people down. I've talked down a $3000 240sx to $1300 before, it's all in how you do it.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:39 AM   #28
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d*star180 View Post
How do you have so many posts in so little goddam time.
Talking to people, making friends, trying to learn, trying to teach, having fun, being serious, ranting, praising, eating, skeeting.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:41 AM   #29
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Ok, I'll check out the sponsors then. Yeah, I've got a carbon fibre hood. I'll also try and see if I can drive one of my folks' cars, or just make my friends drive more than I do. Thanx, no more questions now, I swear!
Ask away, i'd rather you be sure with your stuffs than f up.

Drive without a hood, or don't install the CF hood. If you already did, just take it off and do it over again...you probably had it on crooked anyways man.

Friends rock. I nearly never drive myself. I can't though. Too paranoid my car will get stolen or i'd have to leave it in the rain or what-not.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:47 AM   #30
Zero-Offset
Zilvia Junkie

Zero-Offset is an unknown quantity at this point
alright, thanks for the straight up answer. my auto teacher in highscool is super cool and hes got the knowledge and tools to swap an engine, and my dad knows his way around a car. so ill be hunting down a low km KA as first priority.

one more thing, i was thinking of buying an auto 240 just because, this would mean less abuse to the car? i also hear 5spd swaps are fairly straight forward, and there is lots of information on the net about it.
Closed Thread