Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 07:31 AM   #61
cgtdream
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
cgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hey man thanks for your response. Its good to know that there are cheaper, smarter, options out there that allow me to do more to keep my car in a healthy shape...anywho, peace
Old 04-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #62
cheap_sticker05
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
cheap_sticker05 will become famous soon enoughcheap_sticker05 will become famous soon enoughcheap_sticker05 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a question for you. I have had a CA in my vert now for about a year and a half. I use a Greddy Multi Switcher to control my fans. For some reason when I turn on my lights or any accesories the temp raises about 2-3 degrees for every accessory I have on. I have checked all my grounds and even made a grounding kit. The problem is still there. I have even taken out the dash harness and engine harness just to double check that there is no shorts, and took out any unnecessary wiring for things that are not hooked up. Do you have any suggestions as to what is causing this? I am out of ideas as to what is making this happen.
Rich-
Old 04-28-2007, 07:48 AM   #63
Farzam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_sticker05 View Post
I have a question for you. I have had a CA in my vert now for about a year and a half. I use a Greddy Multi Switcher to control my fans. For some reason when I turn on my lights or any accesories the temp raises about 2-3 degrees for every accessory I have on. I have checked all my grounds and even made a grounding kit. The problem is still there. I have even taken out the dash harness and engine harness just to double check that there is no shorts, and took out any unnecessary wiring for things that are not hooked up. Do you have any suggestions as to what is causing this? I am out of ideas as to what is making this happen.
Rich-
A guy on a local forum had basically the same issue, he contacted GReddy about it and just plainly said "issue solved".

It might not even be a big deal.

When you have A/C and such on, you lose power, right? So maybe that's the same way. I'll look into it some, but contact GReddy as well since you're actually physically with the car and if they want you to try something you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtdream View Post
Hey man thanks for your response. Its good to know that there are cheaper, smarter, options out there that allow me to do more to keep my car in a healthy shape...anywho, peace
Yeah man, just ask around and in the end it'll help.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:57 AM   #64
cheap_sticker05
Zilvia Member

cheap_sticker05 will become famous soon enoughcheap_sticker05 will become famous soon enoughcheap_sticker05 will become famous soon enough
Yeah I have contacted Greddy about the issue. Their first suggestion was grounding the motor better. I had already done that so I ruled that out right away. Then they told me to use shielded wire. Did that and no change. The reason it is such a problem is because it was making my car run too cold, and was throwing the ecu into a cold start mode.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:19 AM   #65
Farzam
Post Whore!

Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Try putting it in another car or using another unit and see what happens...

Still searching, that's kinda creepy man.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:31 AM   #66
cheap_sticker05
Zilvia Member

Yeah it sucks. I don't have any friends well none that want me to try it in their car. I am investigating farther today. Note: I changed the temp sensor about a week ago, because it was bad. Still no change when I did that. I look forward to what you find, that I haven't yet!
Old 04-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #67
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
What is the REAL reasoning behind this thread.

In other words, what are you, Farzam, hoping to gain with this thread?

As far as I can tell, this is an Off Topic, or Tech Topic, at best.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:43 AM   #68
cheap_sticker05
Zilvia Member

Just a little update. Now the dash lights and gauge lights dim for a split second when I hit the brakes. My defi gauges will reset if I hit the brakes like ~3-5 times. What do you think? STILL a weak ground?
Old 04-28-2007, 09:48 AM   #69
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
What is the REAL reasoning behind this thread.

In other words, what are you, Farzam, hoping to gain with this thread?

As far as I can tell, this is an Off Topic, or Tech Topic, at best.
Made this thread at Kevin's request/demand/command.

He specifically said to put this thread in chat or tech and I figured chat would be best, but if you think it needs to be moved, then by all means do so.

What I hope comes out of the thread is that people gain knowledge on topics addressed and to enrich the zilvia community. It seems that many n00bs get caught up in being a n00b and get left behind, and this is partially to ensure that they get a better chance at becoming a rolemodel zilvian. I'm essentially being a humanoid search function.

Quote:
Just a little update. Now the dash lights and gauge lights dim for a split second when I hit the brakes. My defi gauges will reset if I hit the brakes like ~3-5 times. What do you think? STILL a weak ground?
You have a bad case of electric gremlins.

Call the Ghostbusters as soon as you can. Make sure the gremlins can't hear you.

Get a voltometer, look around and see if everything is fine. Also check your Fuses, relays, harnesses, battery, grounds, etc...doesn't hurt to look.

I'd probably take out all the electronics you have and see if the car still acts up and then slowly install/uninstall stuff. Doesn't sound like much fun, but you'll probably run into the problem. It's what I do.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #70
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

bigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles View Post
re: the 'big brake' conundrum
the only way brake upgrades are useful is if they're done right.
Doing a complete Z32 brake swap is good, fronts-only is bad.
Do it right the first time, don't half-ass.
You'd be amazed how nice stock brakes can be with new rotors, high-friction pads, some stainless lines and fresh fluid.
why is this the case? when i got my clip it came with only larger front brakes and the rear cross member had small regular rears, so thats what i put on

Why is front only bad?
Old 04-28-2007, 10:25 AM   #71
yokotas13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
yokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to yokotas13 Send a message via MSN to yokotas13 Send a message via Yahoo to yokotas13
get a new alternator
i had the SAME EXACT problem on my stagea

Quote:
\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzam View Post
So they could make Infiniti.

But really it's about brake balance...there's more important things than sizes.

but on a side note, it wont hurt you terribly just running the fronts....after all they do do what like 85% of the work anyways?
Old 04-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #72
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

bigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfection
so how often do you see upgraded brakes on the island. and isn't this a stock setup to have the front 300z size and the rear a 240 size
Old 04-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #73
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
the reasoning behind 'stock rears' and z32 size fronts here in Japan is they come from the factory with different proportioning than US cars
I'm not an engineer so I know fuckall about designing proper brake proportioning in a factory car, but I know that with Z32 fronts on a US market S-chassis, the front bias goes from something like 65-70 to ~93%. Do NOT quote me on those numbers, that's just what the mice spinning the wheels in my head are telling me. Asad did a good breakdown on it on FA a few years ago.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #74
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokotas13 View Post
get a new alternator
i had the SAME EXACT problem on my stagea
I was thinking alternator but I don't see why the engine temp goes up.

90% of the time it's the alternator.

I say we burn em all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles View Post
the reasoning behind 'stock rears' and z32 size fronts here in Japan is they come from the factory with different proportioning than US cars
I'm not an engineer so I know fuckall about designing proper brake proportioning in a factory car, but I know that with Z32 fronts on a US market S-chassis, the front bias goes from something like 65-70 to ~93%. Do NOT quote me on those numbers, that's just what the mice spinning the wheels in my head are telling me. Asad did a good breakdown on it on FA a few years ago.
Thanks for the backing.

Balance.

Duh.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #75
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Iceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Michael View Post
Hmmm, got another one. Like I said I am aiming for around 200rwhp with my turbo setup. Now, I'm not going to really be pushing the car at all. No drifting, or anything, just a little spirited driving now and then. Do you think this warrants any major brake upgrades (big brake upgrade??), besides getting high performance rotors and brake pads in the stock size? So basically, would big brakes be overkill?
This is Farzam's Thread, but you can get close to the 200whp mark for less by going N/A. And unless you plan on tracking the car sometime in the Future, Good rotors, Pads, Stainless steel lines, And a tire upgrade should do you well.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #76
PBucch
Premium Member

PBucch is close to perfectionPBucch is close to perfectionPBucch is close to perfectionPBucch is close to perfectionPBucch is close to perfectionPBucch is close to perfectionPBucch is close to perfectionPBucch is close to perfectionPBucch is close to perfectionPBucch is close to perfectionPBucch is close to perfection
Are the SOHC and DOHC starters the same?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:23 AM   #77
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
This is Farzam's Thread, but you can get close to the 200whp mark for less by going N/A. And unless you plan on tracking the car sometime in the Future, Good rotors, Pads, Stainless steel lines, And a tire upgrade should do you well.
This is basically MY thread...so why butt in man? At least PM me and ask.

200whp is easy and cheap as dirt. PM me with how to make 200whp for how much...

And along with making sure you have performance parts, always remember to make sure everything is ABLE to perform. Tire pressures, no leaks, check to see everything is ready. There are plenty of checklists on this site you can get to make sure you'll be gravy trainin' it up.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #78
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Iceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymore
160+whp is dirt cheap too. And Fun.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #79
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBucch View Post
Are the SOHC and DOHC starters the same?
OMFG I fucking love your siggggggggg everyone posirep this guy 20 times.

I remember I had a WTB thread and some premie said they were the same, lemme look around a little and i'll get back to you with a bolded, definite answer.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #80
opponheimer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
opponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What are your views of knockoff external wastegates, have u ever used em and which type would you recommend. I know plenty of ppl w/ honda turbo knockoffs setup that work fine.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #81
Farzam
Post Whore!

I don't cut corners.

That being said, my view on knockoffs is that they are Satan himself.

We aren't driving Hondas, so why are you gonna try and rock Rotas like they're dope?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #82
Baka Sama
Zilvia FREAK!

Baka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfection
Why do you believe that the the Z in Zilvia has lost its meaning since the days of yore, although the popularity of the Z has increased since the introduction of the 350Z?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #83
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka Sama View Post
Why do you believe that the the Z in Zilvia has lost its meaning since the days of yore, although the popularity of the Z has increased since the introduction of the 350Z?
I believe there are more s-chassis being modified than z-shassis, which would lead me to believe that there would always be many more. Perhaps zilvia as a whole is not working to provide a good atmosphere for Z owners due to the 99% S-chassis topics?

This is a more opinionated question and since I am not a Z owner, I could not talk from true experience.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #84
Baka Sama
Zilvia FREAK!

Baka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfectionBaka Sama is close to perfection
Follow up.

Although West Im sure has realized this, do you believe that the name "Zilvia" has gained such a cult like following, that another name that would suit the majority of 240sx owners of Zilvia better would ever come about?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #85
goj_cloud

goj_cloud is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a question for you. i was driving,
when i engaged my clutch i heard a loud "CLANK" in the tranny someware and i felt it in the clutch pedal. then the rpms dropped and the car died. when i tried to start it up agian the starter just clicked. what could this mean
Old 04-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #86
Farzam
Post Whore!

Just like to remind people to please keep their questions related to forum rules, and this is in the technical question.

Baka, contact West about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj_cloud View Post
i have a question for you. i was driving,
when i engaged my clutch i heard a loud "CLANK" in the tranny someware and i felt it in the clutch pedal. then the rpms dropped and the car died. when i tried to start it up agian the starter just clicked. what could this mean
Have you tried checking your compression or doing a leakdown test?

Do you hear your fuel pump workin or anything?

When you crank it is it even turning over or what?
Old 04-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #87
Jon Michael
Zilvia Member

Jon Michael is making a name for him/her selfJon Michael is making a name for him/her self
I found wiring diagrams for my car...but, I can't seem to find anything with the colour coding of the wires. >_< I need to know the colour coding for the dash wiring harness (specifically the gauge cluster) for a 1996 240sx and a 1998 240sx. Any chance Farzam, since you seem to have all the answer, lol?

Damn factory service manuals don't have the colour coding. Think a chiltons would have them??

Last edited by Jon Michael; 04-28-2007 at 01:50 PM..
Old 04-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #88
goj_cloud

Quote:
Just like to remind people to please keep their questions related to forum rules, and this is in the technical question.

Baka, contact West about that.

Have you tried checking your compression or doing a leakdown test?

Do you hear your fuel pump workin or anything?

When you crank it is it even turning over or what?
i didnt blow my engine if thats what ur thinking, the motor wont turn over its somthing in teh tranny. i just wnat to know what to look for before i take off the tranny.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #89
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj_cloud View Post
i didnt blow my engine if thats what ur thinking, the motor wont turn over its somthing in teh tranny. i just wnat to know what to look for before i take off the tranny.
Check your wiring, check your shift forks, make sure your transmission is engaging/disengaging your clutch and such, and check the sensors.

I had someone bring in an FC and it had a bent shift fork and GOD KNOWS what happened to the rest of the tranny, but it wouldn't start cause the fork was ruined and someone ripped out sensors.

I'll look into it more, i'm just trying to answer all the questions and it's starting to accumulate.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #90
goj_cloud

Quote:
Check your wiring, check your shift forks, make sure your transmission is engaging/disengaging your clutch and such, and check the sensors.

I had someone bring in an FC and it had a bent shift fork and GOD KNOWS what happened to the rest of the tranny, but it wouldn't start cause the fork was ruined and someone ripped out sensors.

I'll look into it more, i'm just trying to answer all the questions and it's starting to accumulate.
if the pivot fork was broke could it stop the car from starting
Closed Thread