Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #91
zerooath
98 Kouki Slicktop. Tip Dealer!

Trader Rating: (0)
zerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to zerooath
im looking into getting a better temperature gauge (aftermarket) for my KA because my stock one is the crap and doesnt work right. Whats the best (in your opinion) to go with? I like Defi gauges but which one would be best?

Also exactly how hard is the rb25 swap into an s14? I've been there for a few KA swaps and have helped on one and im ready to get into my own swap.

What am i looking to get into provided i have all the parts necessary?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2007, 04:32 PM   #92
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
Did you make this thread to just get your post count up? It's an honest question I think...
Old 04-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #93
jkgaddis
Leaky Injector

jkgaddis is making a name for him/her selfjkgaddis is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to jkgaddis
1. have you ever heard of velocity porting? www.mototuneusa.com i think there is more info there. im wondering how this would affect a turbo application. basically the run down is by making the intake ports smaller, you up the velocity of the incoming air and you get more air into the chamber in less time. i know there are gains to be had on n/a applications and i just cant see why it would be different for a forced app. what are your thoughts on this?

2. does coating headers work well for keeping exhaust heat in the pipes without causing the failures that header wrap does? ive searched on this and most people are more concerned with how well it keeps underhood temps down; i dont care about its ability to dissipate heat, i want to keep the expanding heat in the exhaust.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #94
Chez
Leaky Injector

Chez is making his/her stupidity well-knownChez is making his/her stupidity well-knownChez is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzam View Post
Do you know the difference?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

Read that and it should help you learn some more so you can make the decision on your own.

IMO for a road race car i'd look for a helical LSD.

A helical biases torque from one side to the other side, and are capable of transfering more torque to the wheel that has traction, which is why they're so cool.
Thanks man. I wasnt even thinking along those lines. but im glad i asked your opinion bc i was leaning more towards the 1.5 way but now i have some more research to do before i buy with a whole other option. -Chez

Last edited by Chez; 04-29-2007 at 09:26 AM..
Old 04-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #95
lonelydrifter
Zilvia Member

lonelydrifter is making a name for him/her selflonelydrifter is making a name for him/her self
What plugs must be cut off Sr harness and replaced by plugs on KA harness for Sr swap? How long should the ones that need extending be extended?
Old 04-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #96
spinitsidewayz
Leaky Injector

spinitsidewayz is making a name for him/her selfspinitsidewayz is making a name for him/her self
Changing PCV Valve on KA24e is a breeze. Now why the fuck did nissan decide to stick the DOHC PCV Valve in the most inconvinent place...

Took the alternator out to get to the PCV. Got the PCV out. Broke the PCV hose in the process... Now how the hell am i going to replace the hose... my hands hurt from weaving between everything...
89 S13 Coupe: SR20 Under the knife.
87 FC: Half Bridge Turbo Monster.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #97
cheap_sticker05
Zilvia Member

cheap_sticker05 will become famous soon enoughcheap_sticker05 will become famous soon enoughcheap_sticker05 will become famous soon enough
Well another follow-up. went autozone and had them check the alternator again (this is the 3rd time) And sure enough it is only putting out 9v peak. The battery is also taking a dump too.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:24 AM   #98
yokotas13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
yokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to yokotas13 Send a message via MSN to yokotas13 Send a message via Yahoo to yokotas13
the battery is taking a dump because the alternator sucks

told you it was the alternator didnt i
Old 04-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #99
nassin31spr
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
nassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to beholdnassin31spr is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinitsidewayz View Post
Changing PCV Valve on KA24e is a breeze. Now why the fuck did nissan decide to stick the DOHC PCV Valve in the most inconvinent place...

Took the alternator out to get to the PCV. Got the PCV out. Broke the PCV hose in the process... Now how the hell am i going to replace the hose... my hands hurt from weaving between everything...
Go underneath the car and take off the starter and its a straight shot, kinda. It will give you a better angle. You could have gotten it that way with a long extension, some needle nose and rubber hands.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:06 PM   #100
Farzam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerooath View Post
im looking into getting a better temperature gauge (aftermarket) for my KA because my stock one is the crap and doesnt work right. Whats the best (in your opinion) to go with? I like Defi gauges but which one would be best?

Also exactly how hard is the rb25 swap into an s14? I've been there for a few KA swaps and have helped on one and im ready to get into my own swap.

What am i looking to get into provided i have all the parts necessary?
Temp gauges are like everything else, just get a quality product, look at company's track records. I love DEFI gauges, but Autometer is just as good.

Go look around and see which one looks coolest to you, and get it.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=90376 READ THIS.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=135906 READ THIS TOO.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:08 PM   #101
Farzam
Post Whore!

Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1sm0r View Post
Did you make this thread to just get your post count up? It's an honest question I think...
No, a moderator asked me to do this.

Why does everyone need to be nosy?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:10 PM   #102
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzam View Post
No, a moderator asked me to do this.

Why does everyone need to be nosy?
Because this is the thread where we ask you questions.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:11 PM   #103
Farzam
Post Whore!

Btw everyone, i'm sick as Hell.
I seriously thought I wouldn't live past last night.
So i'm probably not going to be on the computer much for the next few days.
Just a heads up.

Helpful advice:
If you're ever in 40 degree weather, but sweating a lot and throwing up, just breathe and drink water. Lay down. Don't think about how you're dying, just relax.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:12 PM   #104
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1sm0r View Post
Because this is the thread where we ask you questions.
Tech-related ones, though.

Idc about my post count.

I'd rather have it lower than higher.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:22 PM   #105
tastycakeman
Leaky Injector

tastycakeman is making his/her stupidity well-knowntastycakeman is making his/her stupidity well-knowntastycakeman is making his/her stupidity well-knowntastycakeman is making his/her stupidity well-knowntastycakeman is making his/her stupidity well-known
this is a funny thread.

here we go, really really broad and general noob question.

why do 240 drivers like big offset? what does offset do for the car, does it affect handling in any way? how do tire and wheel sizes work, as in what does every single number letter and slash mean?

heres another.

what does a lower control arm do? what does an upper control arm do? what does a tension rod do? could you drive one without the other(s)?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:53 PM   #106
jkgaddis
Leaky Injector

jkgaddis is making a name for him/her selfjkgaddis is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to jkgaddis
my question gets no love
Old 05-02-2007, 12:39 AM   #107
tastycakeman
Leaky Injector

tastycakeman is making his/her stupidity well-knowntastycakeman is making his/her stupidity well-knowntastycakeman is making his/her stupidity well-knowntastycakeman is making his/her stupidity well-knowntastycakeman is making his/her stupidity well-known
neither does mine.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:43 AM   #108
Jon Michael
Zilvia Member

Jon Michael is making a name for him/her selfJon Michael is making a name for him/her self
The guy's sick as hell, he was answering all within like an hour of posting. He didn't just decide to stop answering. Let him rest up and then I'm 100% sure he will answer all questions as fast as he did before. Like a month ago I had the flu like he had, was sick for a week and had to go to the hospital for an IV and some meds. Rest up Farzam, hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #109
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

Z U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond repute
1.why do 95 and 96 s14's have different different dash plug pinouts with no regard to production date or location of assembly??

2. why do people think they can wire in an s14 sr20 just because they've done an s13 sr20 lol?

3. why didn't they put the speed sensors in the trannies for s15 6 speeds?

4. what exactly is the rev limit rpm's on a stock rb25det computer??

5. why am i so damn good looking?

6. why are nissan maf's so crappy and expensive?

7. why would anyone vote for hillary clinton?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #110
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj_cloud View Post
if the pivot fork was broke could it stop the car from starting
Check out your pressure plate.
Check out your clutch/clutch fork.

All I can think of, get back to me when you try that out and i'll see what to do from there.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #111
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z U L8R View Post
1.why do 95 and 96 s14's have different different dash plug pinouts with no regard to production date or location of assembly??

2. why do people think they can wire in an s14 sr20 just because they've done an s13 sr20 lol?

3. why didn't they put the speed sensors in the trannies for s15 6 speeds?

4. what exactly is the rev limit rpm's on a stock rb25det computer??

5. why am i so damn good looking?

6. why are nissan maf's so crappy and expensive?

7. why would anyone vote for hillary clinton?
Why are you the only one laughing at your comments?
What is so hard about taking this (even partially) seriously?
Why would you come in and shit on this thread in this manner?
What will I do to you if you don't knock it off?

And I write too!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #112
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
hermosa beach or santa monica?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #113
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgaddis View Post
1. have you ever heard of velocity porting? www.mototuneusa.com i think there is more info there. im wondering how this would affect a turbo application. basically the run down is by making the intake ports smaller, you up the velocity of the incoming air and you get more air into the chamber in less time. i know there are gains to be had on n/a applications and i just cant see why it would be different for a forced app. what are your thoughts on this?

2. does coating headers work well for keeping exhaust heat in the pipes without causing the failures that header wrap does? ive searched on this and most people are more concerned with how well it keeps underhood temps down; i dont care about its ability to dissipate heat, i want to keep the expanding heat in the exhaust.
1. That's interesting. I want to personally try it and see what happens. I personally like natural aspiration and have been working on NA cars for years...and now I have an idea for my next project.

2. I personally don't care that much. I just run whatever and I know my fans do their job, and the exhaust gets out enough. I believe more in the driver and suspension than making the motor some "made by God" every-pony-taken-out kinda deal. I usually tell my tuner to make impressive, RELIABLE numbers.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #114
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Yeah, enough with the bullshit questions.

I tasked Farzam to essentially act as a researcher for people, not to field stupid/smarmy/smartassed comments.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #115
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
hermosa beach or santa monica?
You'd probably be all about anywhere in DA OC, dawg.

Viva la Shadows.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #116
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Michael View Post
The guy's sick as hell, he was answering all within like an hour of posting. He didn't just decide to stop answering. Let him rest up and then I'm 100% sure he will answer all questions as fast as he did before. Like a month ago I had the flu like he had, was sick for a week and had to go to the hospital for an IV and some meds. Rest up Farzam, hope you're feeling better soon.

Thanks man.

I really appreciate that.

+rep.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:13 PM   #117
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
From this moment forward, I will be frequently checking this thread and deleting the bullshit posts, like I just did the one above this one.
I have had about enough of the bullshit half-assed jokes

And I write too!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #118
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

Z U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond repute
sincere apologies for the certain unimportant questions, unwanted actions with good intentions sometimes not well received =]

1. so Farzam what is the ecu's redline on a stock rb25det computer?

2. and how much power do you think an rb25 should make running a GT30/71r, with all the other supporting mods & engine management? what is that turbo realistically capable of
Old 05-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #119
Farzam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z U L8R View Post
sincere apologies for the certain unimportant questions, unwanted actions with good intentions sometimes not well received =]

1. so Farzam what is the ecu's redline on a stock rb25det computer?

2. and how much power do you think an rb25 should make running a GT30/71r, with all the other supporting mods & engine management? what is that turbo realistically capable of

1. I think it's 7500rpm off the top of my head.

2. Probably 350whp is what i'd shoot for with that turbo. Right by the surge line, holds boost to 7500rpm from the bottom-ish end.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #120
CKAMC
Post Whore!

CKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfection
Farzam, Do you have any knowledge on toyota's?

Yes or No... or pm...

THX