Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-28-2007, 04:21 PM   #91
benefitx
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (0)
benefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
its a little different from the KA24DE...the ka has an idler pulley which is just an extra bolt
benefitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #92
benefitx

benefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choices
so do i put engine assembly lube on where the block meets the bearings or where the crank meets the bearings??
Old 05-28-2007, 09:24 PM   #93
georgesal
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
georgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you put lube between bearing and crank
georgesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #94
benefitx

and what about on the camshaft/caps and the lobes
Old 05-29-2007, 08:34 AM   #95
Big Bronze Rim
Zilvia Member

Big Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the rough
You will want lube on both the cam journals as well as the lobes.
Big Bronze Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:05 AM   #96
benefitx

oh and the yellow mating mark on the chain goes on the crank right...and the 2 black marks are for the cam sprockets right

when my bearings and headgasket get here i will start rebuilding...and pictures

Last edited by benefitx; 05-29-2007 at 09:28 AM..
Old 05-29-2007, 09:41 AM   #97
benefitx

how will i know if my oil pump is dead or not??

i put some oil in it and put it on my old crank and spun it around...oil came out the other side so...
Old 05-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #98
benefitx

some more pics

when i took out the engine...

engine sitting on a little trolley

pulled off the intake/exhaust mani's

The bare block turned around...im building this on the floor..no engine stand ...2 of my friends offered for me to borrow theirs but idk never got around to it...

The table of the entire bottom end waiting to be put in after my ACL bearings get here...

My room with the entire top half of the engine...yes this is where i sleep.

A drawer full of ziplock baggies labeled with parts to exactly where the go on the engine. over 40 bags.

my dresser with parts from the engine bay (intercooler piping, strut bar , heater hoses and alternator/starter)

the upper oil pan...cleaned the outside with Engine Brite degreaser and the inside with gasoline...did the same with the lower oil pan also..gas..(this is below the table with the bottom end parts, radiator,driveshaft and shroud are sitting around here too)

Old 05-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #99
benefitx

just have 2 questions

1) For the timing chain , the 2 black mating marks are for the cam sprockets and the yellow one is for the crank right?

2) how would i know my oil pump is dead which was the cause of bearing failure?? i put oil in the pump and spun it around a couple times and oil did shoot out the other side...
Old 05-29-2007, 04:37 PM   #100
benefitx

oh and do i need my block and head surfaced even if i didnt blow a headgasket...i will be using a OE headgasket so do i?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:56 AM   #101
benefitx

just bought some ultra grey and plastigage green ( .001 to .003 )
Old 05-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #102
benefitx

Quote:
Originally Posted by benefitx View Post
just have 2 questions

1) For the timing chain , the 2 black mating marks are for the cam sprockets and the yellow one is for the crank right?

2) how would i know my oil pump is dead which was the cause of bearing failure?? i put oil in the pump and spun it around a couple times and oil did shoot out the other side...
anyone?........
Old 06-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #103
benefitx

ok so no one has asked my question that if the yellow mark on the timing chain is for the crank...

ok i just assembled the whole bottom end...got my bearings in today and put it all together...plastigage read .002 in on each bearing...

torqued down the crank main and rod caps to specs and the crank is still so hard to spin, what gives??
Old 06-02-2007, 09:41 PM   #104
benefitx

with much effort...2 of my buddies holding down the block and me with a BMFBB i got it to go to TDC...now i just have to wait for the head gasket that i just ordered to get here maybe Wednesday...any other things i have to do when i start her up
Old 06-02-2007, 10:18 PM   #105
benefitx

what kind of oil/spark plugs/transmission fluid/coolant should i run?
Old 06-02-2007, 11:02 PM   #106
HellonFire
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
HellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HellonFire
Fucking search. Everyone is not here to spoon feed you. I was helping you before, but you bit the hand that fed you. Sucks doesn't it.

Tyler
HellonFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:45 AM   #107
benefitx

yeah...kinda
Old 06-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #108
benefitx

ok the whole entire engine is put together....its already in the engine bay...

i am having problems getting both engine mounts on...i get one on but the other one is hard to get on...and theres no way to drop them both at the same time..is there any trick to this...when i swapped my old ka it was easy but damn...ive been trying for almost 2 hours with 3 friends + me
Old 06-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #109
benefitx

any help???????
Old 06-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #110
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
wiggle it wiggle it wiggle it. that;s how you always do it. get some man power and pry bars. get the bitch on. it;s only a KA shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to drop in.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #111
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
get one mount, "just in" and push the bottom TIP (not the threads) of the other mount to line it up. Lower it as you are lining it up, and it should "fall into place".
Old 06-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #112
Nikeboy355
Zilvia Addict

Nikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond repute
Are you dropping in the motor with the transmission or without...

I had the same problem getting my motor in but I just muscled it in... So I don't have any secrets there...

As for your other questions
1. I don't know the mating marks for SR timing...
2. You can't check the oil pump outside of the engine... You would need to have the engine running and have an oil pressure gauge... If the pressure is below whatever the FSM says, you must replace...
3. The crank was difficult for me to turn also after I assembled the motor but I just used a breaker bar to make the first turn and then it turned from there... The next day it was stiff again so I did the same thing... After a while it will loosen up...
4. I used Nissan OEM oil filter, Castrol GTX, NGK copper plugs, Redline Shockproof tranny fluid, and distilled water to turn the engine on... After I am sure there are no leaks and everything works I am going to switch to Honda coolant but everything remains... I'll change the oil and filter out after 500 miles though...

Good luck... keep us updated...
Nikeboy355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:11 PM   #113
Nikeboy355
Zilvia Addict

Nikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond repute
double post...
Nikeboy355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:07 AM   #114
benefitx

ok well i just said screw the one motor mount (drivers side)...its just like sitting on top of the bolt...ill try when i have like 6-7 of my buddies lol...NEW PROBLEM THOUGH...i wired everything in...

im not even getting power on interior and if i turn on my headlights , its like permanent sleepy eye, they wont even go up and they are just lit.i exchanged the battery with one i had laying around (im running a optima redtop anyways , dry cell) still nothing...had my bro jump start it , nothing.

i try and start it , no power to NOTHING...just "click, click, click" thought i blew i fuse , but only one was broken in the engine bay fuse box it was the "engine comp" fuse...replaced it , still nothing...

fuel pump is pumping...didnt check for spark but i dont think it is...and the starter is not doing anything...

and some teaser pics

Old 06-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #115
benefitx

the clicking is coming from the fuse boxes...starter doesnt do shit, clock is just blank....no power to head unit...wtf!
Old 06-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #116
JDS Performance
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (53)
JDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by benefitx View Post
the clicking is coming from the fuse boxes...starter doesnt do shit, clock is just blank....no power to head unit...wtf!
who wired up your harness?
JDS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:29 AM   #117
benefitx

its not a swap , the car used to run before this...i just took the sr out and rebuilt it so in theory it should just start up after i connect everything...

i was just way too tired to troubleshoot it last night...but it still doesnt make any sense why im not getting interior power
Old 06-09-2007, 09:44 AM   #118
DOOK
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
DOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
did you check your main grounds? Never know.

DOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #119
JDS Performance
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (53)
JDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
try a different starter and maybe a alternator - check to make sure you have everything connected - correctly! Dont just say well I know I hooked it up right - check it agin closley! replace fuses - they are cheap! Thats where I would start. And also check to see if you have spark - you said you havent done that yet.
JDS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:37 AM   #120
benefitx

im not getting any interior power though...even when the engine was out of the car i could get the radio to play cd's