Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
MegasquirtCA
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
MegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My new Wideband (JAW) what ya guys think?

So I found out about this low cost wideband controller. Controller with Display comes out to about $65 plus $42 for the Bosch LSU 4.2 O2 sensor, than $16 for harness supplies or use the supplied terminals. Anyways I bought the cases for about $5. The kit offers datalogging as well and input to any standalone.

MegasquirtCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
Your DIY box looks alot better than i would have imagined!

Sweet!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
MegasquirtCA
Zilvia Addict

MegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfection
I went to radioshack and never knew they sold whats called "Project Enclosures" its cases made for PCB's and worked out perfectly for me.

Hopefully I'll be using it this week possibly thursday when I fix my downpipe.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:18 PM   #4
chuy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
chuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
MOre info please
Old 09-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
MegasquirtCA
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuy View Post
MOre info please

what would you like to know.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #6
efrain240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
efrain240sx will become famous soon enoughefrain240sx will become famous soon enoughefrain240sx will become famous soon enoughefrain240sx will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would like to know were I can get a this stuff
efrain240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #7
MegasquirtCA
Zilvia Addict

http://www.14point7.com/JAW/JAW.htm

they sell unassembled and assembled, I can build them free of charge if people are interested.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:39 PM   #8
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
+1 for you, I'm going to try this sometime in a friend's car. ha ha

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:50 PM   #9
MegasquirtCA
Zilvia Addict

Radioshack Part#

Display Case
Part# 270-1802
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Board Case
Part# 270-1805

40mm Fan
Part# 273-240

I recommend going with a 50mm fan or 60mm at the most and nothing bigger than 20mm width.

Something like this is perfect.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835104007
Old 09-11-2007, 11:52 PM   #10
O3DigitalBath
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
O3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud ofO3DigitalBath has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to O3DigitalBath
seems cool, the DIY case would be nicer if the plug/wire was on the opposite side as the display instead of same side.
O3DigitalBath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:53 PM   #11
undesiredshoe
Zilvia Addict

undesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to undesiredshoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegasquirtCA View Post
http://www.14point7.com/JAW/JAW.htm

they sell unassembled and assembled, I can build them free of charge if people are interested.
So I would buy one and send it to you, you put it together, and ill pay you to send it to me?? What if it doesnt work?? Whats your email, I might be ordering one soon.
undesiredshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:56 PM   #12
MegasquirtCA
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by undesiredshoe View Post
So I would buy one and send it to you, you put it together, and ill pay you to send it to me?? What if it doesnt work?? Whats your email, I might be ordering one soon.

Well I'd only do it if we got 5 people. It would save money on shipping. I would be testing them before they left, and in the event if it doesnt work the dude is cool on doing refunds.

Just a little background on my electronic capabilities. I build Megasquirt ecu's.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:50 AM   #13
jskateborders
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
jskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jskateborders
How would you wire it up for an sr, since (or so ive heard) you have to have an sr o2 sensor, or do you just use an ecxess exhaust outlet, and get the bosch sensor. aslo what car did you do this for? What is the part number on the o2 sensor.
thanks
jskateborders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:55 AM   #14
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
If you put a wide band sensor in place of the OEM O2 you will just overheat it. The wideband needs to be mounted before the CAT, around under your knee to keep from overheating the sensor.

Welding Required for ANY wideband install.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #15
MegasquirtCA
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskateborders View Post
How would you wire it up for an sr, since (or so ive heard) you have to have an sr o2 sensor, or do you just use an ecxess exhaust outlet, and get the bosch sensor. aslo what car did you do this for? What is the part number on the o2 sensor.
thanks

Like John said your gonna overheat the sensor which will cause false readings. Innovate recommends on Turbocharged motors that the wideband be placed 36 inches after the turbo.

This isn't really for permanent installation, dont forget Wideband O2 sensors DO NOT LIKE being rich all the time, if you run like a 12:1 AFR you'll destroy your sensor in a few months, and leaving it in and not turned on will destroy it even sooner.

But if you truly want the JAW kit can output a narrowband signal which you can feed directly to the stock ecu.

As for part number
VW Part#021906262B
Bosch# 17014

More info on the harness parts
http://14point7.com/JAW/JAW_FYI.htm

I tried to mimick the functionality of the Innovate LM-1 the only difference is mine is just smaller.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #16
thejapino
Zilvia Addict

thejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfection
Hey I pm'd you earlier about putting one together for me.

+1 for the idea for putting in a narrow band output as well
Old 09-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #17
MegasquirtCA
Zilvia Addict

Just to make it clear I'm not the one who designed the board, its a guy in Canada who did all the work, he sells kits and I in turn put them together for interested parties.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #18
98koukile
Zilvia Addict

98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough
So $107 total plus shipping?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 PM   #19
chuy
Zilvia Addict

chuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura about
Way dude 107 plus shipping Im in
Old 09-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #20
Lucient
Zilvia Member

Lucient is making a name for him/her selfLucient is making a name for him/her selfLucient is making a name for him/her self
Some screen shots of the software and a better explanation of the features like data logging, sampling rate, and calibration would definitely sell me on this product. I didn't see any of the things I mentioned on your site. Your forum seemed pretty helpful also
Lucient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #21
MegasquirtCA
Zilvia Addict

Let me do the price break down.

If 5 people are in and pay ahead it will cost

Board: $45
Display: $25

Harness Parts
Housing VW# 1J0-973-733 you need 1 $5.75
Terminals VW# 000-979-133-A you need 3 $3.59 Total $10.77
Grommet VW# 357-972-741-A you need 6 $0.29 Total $1.74
Total for harness $18.26

Display Case $2.69
Board Case $3.79
Total $6.48

Fan is about $3 from Newegg.

If I get 5 people knock off $5 so $70 turns to $65. knock off like another $5 because cost of shipping is saved since it all goes to me which is $10 I'll eat that cost.

$5 Priority Mail.

So total price is $102.74. Make it $110 you get everything what you see in the pic, also a harness thats not pictured. It connects to the O2 sensor. The Extra $8 is for tax, supplies, and extra shipping charges that may pop up.

O2 sensor is not included but can be easily purchased for about $44 shipped from Amazon.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:29 PM   #22
MegasquirtCA
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucient View Post
Some screen shots of the software and a better explanation of the features like data logging, sampling rate, and calibration would definitely sell me on this product. I didn't see any of the things I mentioned on your site. Your forum seemed pretty helpful also

Just to clear it up again, Im not the creator I'm just a consumer I'm just offering assembly services because I know some people are uncomfortable soldering on PCB, it helps build up my portfolio.

Heres a video of the unit in use and it shows the software.

http://www.14point7.com/JAW/JAW_WBO2_Display_Eli.wmv

http://www.14point7.com/JAW/JAW.wmv

If you wanna mess with the software, you can download it here.

http://www.14point7.com/JAW/Soft%20a...tup%201.13.exe
Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #23
jskateborders
Zilvia FREAK!

jskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jskateborders
I will definitely do 110 for this thing
jskateborders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:48 PM   #24
MegasquirtCA
Zilvia Addict

Alright lets get a list going for the people that wanna get one for $110. I need 5 people for that price if not its gonna cost $125. This doesnt include sensor. I might pick up another set for a friend.

So far:
thejapino
jskateborders
Chuy
98koukile (unknown)
punxva

I'll start collecting money friday the 21, I'll either PM you guys or post on here where to send payment.

Last edited by MegasquirtCA; 09-13-2007 at 07:29 PM..
Old 09-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #25
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
i'll most def. take one too, add me to that list man
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #26
MegasquirtCA
Zilvia Addict

list has been updated.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #27
thejapino
Zilvia Addict

thejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfectionthejapino is close to perfection
Looking forward!!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #28
thejapino
Zilvia Addict

Update? So is this still going down?
Old 09-21-2007, 10:47 AM   #29
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegasquirtCA View Post
Alright lets get a list going for the people that wanna get one for $110. I need 5 people for that price if not its gonna cost $125. This doesnt include sensor. I might pick up another set for a friend.

So far:
thejapino
jskateborders
Chuy
98koukile (unknown)
punxva

I'll start collecting money friday the 21, I'll either PM you guys or post on here where to send payment.
but can it data log

sorry if i missed that
Old 09-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #30
MegasquirtCA
Zilvia Addict

It can datalog, it has 3 inputs for datalogging. Its primitive as in no graphic display but it gets the job done. If you look at the first pic in my post you'll see at the bottom middle of the board it says Datalog with 3 tiny holes. You solder 1 wire for each hole, I believe the one with the number 1 to the left of it is for RPM.

I'll be more than glad to still do the assembly even if we dont get enough people.