Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #91
Iwant2slide_S13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Iwant2slide_S13 will become famous soon enoughIwant2slide_S13 will become famous soon enoughIwant2slide_S13 will become famous soon enoughIwant2slide_S13 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DAMN want more updates,
Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #92
noname7198
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
noname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I posted in the WTB section, but I figured I'd post here too incase anyone following this build wants to help us out.

We need an intake manifold gasket and a wiring harness so we can get this thing running for DOW on the 28th. If anyone has either that would really really help us out.

We have a harness, but it is incredibly messed up. And we ordered the gasket 2 weeks ago, but I think we got ripped off. This is so frustrating.
noname7198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #93
Hawaiian240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
Hawaiian240 has much to be proud ofHawaiian240 has much to be proud ofHawaiian240 has much to be proud ofHawaiian240 has much to be proud ofHawaiian240 has much to be proud ofHawaiian240 has much to be proud ofHawaiian240 has much to be proud ofHawaiian240 has much to be proud ofHawaiian240 has much to be proud ofHawaiian240 has much to be proud ofHawaiian240 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
s13

Awesome buildup!! Keep up the good work!
Hawaiian240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #94
Smurf_240SX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Smurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Smurf_240SX
This is really coming out great! cant wait to see more.
Smurf_240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:35 PM   #95
nevaland9
Zilvia FREAK!

nevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to nevaland9
wow sick build, any ideas on a color yet?

keep up the good work man.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #96
BBSilvia
Zilvia Addict

BBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BBSilvia
WOW!!! amazing build cant wait to see the updates!!!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #97
turboh224g
Zilvia Member

turboh224g is making a name for him/her selfturboh224g is making a name for him/her self
This has been a rough couple of days. Jamie was in town probably for the last weekend for a while. That means we were extremely focused on getting as far as possible. Jamie got most of the suspension set to near zero as a starting point, wired lights, finished engine odds and ends, and kept working on the fiberglass dash. What did I do WIRE. It seemed like everything we had was different than what most people get with an sr harness and motor. I spent a lot of time looking things up on Zilvia trying to make sense of what we had. We are very close to running as long as ther are no major issues. We will keep you posted
JKP
turboh224g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #98
noname7198
Zilvia Junkie

noname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to behold
Well, it's been a long time since the last update, so I figured I'd give it one. Not a lot has changed. You may have seen our other threads about trying to get the car to start. Basically the wiring is done (though it needs to be cleaned up a bit more). The car cranks and backfires, but just won't start. I ended up selling my bike and buying a running sr powered s13 hatch. We've been using parts off that to test and eliminate possible problems with the coupe. We were having problems with the power fc, so that is gone as well as the z32 maf. Now the car is on a stock ecu and stock maf (for now). We're gonna mess with it a little more, but I'm trying to save some money in case I have to pay someone to get it running. We found a race shop close by that's going to do the alignment. If we can't get it to start I'll just tow it there and pay them to figure it out.
We are also working on the dash and body. Trying to get it all primed up and ready for paint.

Sorry I only have a couple new pics:

Engine bay:

5 point harnesses installed:

Welded the stock open diff. The car has a Kaaz 2 way on it now, but I want to try this at some point.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #99
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
You should weld the side gears to the case as well for extra strength. I would be worried about those 4 small welds breaking.

EDIT: I have seen some of ......'s (I forget the guy's name, but he sells a TON of welded diffs here on zilvia) diffs and the whole dam diff is welded everywhere. That's probably why one of his diffs has never broken as far as anyone knows.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #100
Landers
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Glad to see some updates, Car is looking good. Thumbs up!
Old 07-19-2008, 11:30 AM   #101
turboh224g
Zilvia Member

turboh224g is making a name for him/her selfturboh224g is making a name for him/her self
This is my first welded diff. What do you mean by welding the side gears as well? I read some threads and did 4 points on both sides 3 welds deep with a tig. What else should I do? Thanks,
JKP
Old 07-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #102
HyperTek
Post Whore!

HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
you could try welding the sides.. The diff in my fc was welded like yours, previous owner did a few track events in it.. but shit broke on me from daily driving it lol.. just threw another one in, but welded the sides as well.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #103
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
This looks really good can not wait for the next update =]
Old 07-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #104
DDDsquad_s13panda
BANNED

Trader Rating: (7)
DDDsquad_s13panda is making a name for him/her selfDDDsquad_s13panda is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
WOW jst readin this is addicting. i wish i have the time and money. even a place to take apart my S13 and get nearly as yours. way to go bro..

cant wait for the new pics.
DDDsquad_s13panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:38 AM   #105
HunsakerS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
HunsakerS14 has a reputation beyond reputeHunsakerS14 has a reputation beyond reputeHunsakerS14 has a reputation beyond reputeHunsakerS14 has a reputation beyond reputeHunsakerS14 has a reputation beyond reputeHunsakerS14 has a reputation beyond reputeHunsakerS14 has a reputation beyond reputeHunsakerS14 has a reputation beyond reputeHunsakerS14 has a reputation beyond reputeHunsakerS14 has a reputation beyond reputeHunsakerS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
fuck that engine bay is clean and fuckin sick lookin.
+1 for balleresque
HunsakerS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #106
ka-turbo
Zilvia Member

ka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-known
hate to bring this back from the dead but any update on this

awesome build want to know soo much more on welding some professional welders said that they have to use a 220 on the chasis but they never stitch welded before they said they need that size for penetration what do you think
Old 08-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #107
turboh224g
Zilvia Member

I had no problems with getting good penetration. Before I started stitch welding I took a few pieces of scrap we had cut out and played around with the heat until I got the setting right. With My friend 135 we were able to get good penetration without burning through. Most of the places you are stitch welding are pretty thin only 2 or 3 layers of thin gauge sheet. In my opinion a lower amp welder worked just fine. Thanks,
JKP
Old 08-15-2008, 08:18 AM   #108
noname7198
Zilvia Junkie

Sorry there hasn't been any updates. We have been trying to get the car to start for a while now. Everything we check seems to be working correctly, it turns over and backfires, but will not start still. We are out of idea's, so I'm giving up and paying someone to get the starting issue sorted out. They will also do the alignment while it's there. There will be an update when we get the car back. Then it's just body work and paint until I can afford a bigger turbo...
Old 09-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #109
noname7198
Zilvia Junkie

The guys at RT Tuning have found the problem. One of the connecting rod caps was bent by .0024" and put too much pressure on the crank so it couldn't turn fast enough to start. So the motor came out again:

Good thing the whole front end comes off with 4 bolts.

Here's the problem:

So the motor is torn down again. The crank is back at the machine shop. When the new bearings get here, the motor will get put back together and go back in the car. And then it WILL START (capitalized for optimism).

Once it's running RT Tuning will do the alignment and we should be good to go.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #110
Nikeboy355
Zilvia Addict

Nikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond repute
This is an awesome build man... Can't wait to see it done...

I especially like the fiberglass work on the dash and door panels...
Nikeboy355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #111
civilized_drifter
Zilvia Junkie

civilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to civilized_drifter
any updates man?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #112
neverrain
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
neverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud ofneverrain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
You should weld the side gears to the case as well for extra strength. I would be worried about those 4 small welds breaking.

EDIT: I have seen some of ......'s (I forget the guy's name, but he sells a TON of welded diffs here on zilvia) diffs and the whole dam diff is welded everywhere. That's probably why one of his diffs has never broken as far as anyone knows.
Aron, you are thinking of Weld Locd. You can find his thread here Offical Weld Locd Thread. Supposedly has never had a welded diff break. Not a bad price either.

neverrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #113
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
This build is awesome, keep up the great work!
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #114
ZenkiCam
Zilvia Addict

ZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to ZenkiCam
old thread, but i love this build. updates?
ZenkiCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #115
noname7198
Zilvia Junkie

It's been a long few weeks, but the car is finally running. There are still a few minor things to work out, but it's almost ready to drive.

We put the rear 5 lug on and mounted the body kit:

The lights work:

We are giving up on the fiberglass dash for now. It doesn't really weigh much less than the cut up stock dash, so that's what's going in for now.

And yes, we still need to clean up the wiring under there.

and the latest motor shots:

Last edited by noname7198; 11-10-2008 at 11:32 AM..
Old 11-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #116
HS13KLS
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
HS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
so what high pressure ps line are you using? the one from ma motorsports?

also

on the welded diff..

ever think of taking a 1/4 piece of steel and cut it to size so it slaps in place where the "square" hole is in the diff and then weld that also. to make it even stronger
HS13KLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #117
ZenkiCam
Zilvia Addict

ZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really niceZenkiCam is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to ZenkiCam
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS13KLS View Post
so what high pressure ps line are you using? the one from ma motorsports?

also

on the welded diff..

ever think of taking a 1/4 piece of steel and cut it to size so it slaps in place where the "square" hole is in the diff and then weld that also. to make it even stronger

that is very common. my welded diff if plated on both sides with a 3/8in steel gusset, tig welded.

also, noname, exactly how many wires are you running in your car? it looks like a lot behind the dash, but all i see is ignition, fuel, lights, wiper, fan, and your gauges. why does it look like there are way more wires?

also how did you wire your lights up? did you use factory connectors or straight wired?
ZenkiCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:29 AM   #118
turboh224g
Zilvia Member

wiring

The wiring in this car is extremely simple. We are running the engine harness only and have direct wired all the accessories. Currently there is still a lot of the excess wires from the engine harness in the car. We are going to get rid of everything that is not needed eventually. For right now we want to keep the harness uncovered and accessable in case we need to make any changes. when we are sure the car is perfect we will get rid of everything and tape up the whole harness. There are a lot more fab pics that will be up this weekend. radiator protector, rear bumper support, v-mount ducting for this bumper. Later,
JKP
Old 11-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #119
edp

edp is an unknown quantity at this point
In our sea island climate with all of the salt in the air we generally wire brush surface rusted areas to remove the looser rust and then use a spray bottle filled with Ospho to kill the rust and convert it to iron phosphate. Even unprotected, this treatment will preserve the steel for years. We do putty, prime and paint over the neutralized rust. We also spray Ospho liberally into hollow chassis sections etc to kill rust that can't be accessed any other way.
Great build and nice work. Keep up the progress reports.
edp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #120
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Very nice. Awesome that you're doing all this in your garage. Keep it coming!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote