Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #181
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Do it on a dyno dynamics.

I'd be really really curious to see how much actual ROAD power under LOAD any of these NA setups short of a crate motor from nismo make.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #182
INeedNewTires
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
INeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaItsGotAHemi View Post
well like i said a mid 13 second time will be fun for me. i just want a rwd car to drive and to look nice. My neon is the drag/corner car. on street tires it will hit some 12's and look bone stock... all the way down to the exhuast. the 240 is about the style and i wouldn't mind playing around with drifting. nothing serious cause nothing like that is around wichita, ks.

My setup for now will hopefully be like this:
4.6 gears if i can find them
1.5 or 2 way diff
cam
intake
header back exhaust and a computer tune.

If i feel like that wont cut it i will go with a factory rb20 swap and be good.

Although this thread has alot of very useful information, it has gone to shit..... and to top it all off we're going back and forth with some of the best people on this forum for a dude who wants to dump all his money into his fucking NEON and make it "turbo and corner" and wants his 240 for the "looks"..... WTF guys this thread should have died pages ago.....
Old 05-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #183
S14SwimShark105
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
S14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her selfS14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to S14SwimShark105
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
.Horsepower doesn't make faster lap times, the driver and the suspension do that.
I think you are wrong.Think about what you are saying here. Of course the driver and suspension setup make the car go faster around a track, but to say horsepower doesn't make faster lap times is a complete LIE and a complete ignorant thing to say.

I also drive a stock KA with just intake headers and exhaust and mostly all of the suspension parts so don't think I'm power hungry. And yes I think more horsepower will do me a lot of good and make my lap times go a lot quicker from where I am at now.

This is an awesome thread, I like reading about what people have to say about N/A KA's or LS1 swaps or whatevers. Very interesting and at times very funny haha.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #184
silpena
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
silpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ok i'm going to break the tension here can we all agree on this..... we all like big titties! now back on with the discussion on the ka.
silpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #185
S14SwimShark105
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
S14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her selfS14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to S14SwimShark105
well.... actually... YES lol
Old 05-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #186
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
Do it on a dyno dynamics.

I'd be really really curious to see how much actual ROAD power under LOAD any of these NA setups short of a crate motor from nismo make.
I'll hit you up for tuning when I finally get to doing my motor and we shall see (probably next year sometime)!

I'm so sick of arguing about what the better motor is on this thread! That's not the point here guys! The point is how to make more power from the KA! All the turbo, LS1, VQ, etc.... guys posting here should go somewhere else! It doesn't matter what anybody does with a KA none of you will ever care. Those of us that chose to build a KA are not doing it to have the sweetest motor in the world, we are doing it because that is what we want. So what if it costs more money or requires more actual knowledge and skill to do it? The whole point is the knowledge and skill! Sure I could throw an SR in, buy all the bolt on shit, with the right turbo, get it tuned, and have plenty of power. But where's the fun and challenge in that? It is boring and played out. The LS1 or VQ35 are the only engines that I would consider swapping into my car and I would keep both of them N/A and carb approved if at all possible. Unfortuanetly though I have yet to see a well done mount kit for either of those motors, which means making my own. Who cares about a little downtime? I just want it done 100% right the first time and I probably won't even be swapping a motor into my current chasis. I will acquire another s-13 (coupe this time) and build it from the ground-up 100% perfect the first time. I am officially now done with this thread! Nothing I say matters because none of you care and most can't even understand.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #187
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
some do others shoot the shit.. start your own thread and ask the mods to give u management over it.. ill post there.... kudos... i could throw up some specs and cam profiles to guide u along.. 200hp is cake..
Old 05-24-2008, 09:14 PM   #188
downshift_sideways
No Limit Soldier.

downshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to downshift_sideways
Quote:
I'll hit you up for tuning when I finally get to doing my motor and we shall see (probably next year sometime)!

I'm so sick of arguing about what the better motor is on this thread! That's not the point here guys! The point is how to make more power from the KA! All the turbo, LS1, VQ, etc.... guys posting here should go somewhere else! It doesn't matter what anybody does with a KA none of you will ever care. Those of us that chose to build a KA are not doing it to have the sweetest motor in the world, we are doing it because that is what we want. So what if it costs more money or requires more actual knowledge and skill to do it? The whole point is the knowledge and skill! Sure I could throw an SR in, buy all the bolt on shit, with the right turbo, get it tuned, and have plenty of power. But where's the fun and challenge in that? It is boring and played out. The LS1 or VQ35 are the only engines that I would consider swapping into my car and I would keep both of them N/A and carb approved if at all possible. Unfortuanetly though I have yet to see a well done mount kit for either of those motors, which means making my own. Who cares about a little downtime? I just want it done 100% right the first time and I probably won't even be swapping a motor into my current chasis. I will acquire another s-13 (coupe this time) and build it from the ground-up 100% perfect the first time. I am officially now done with this thread! Nothing I say matters because none of you care and most can't even understand.
Agreed...

<3

allntrlundrgrnd: "you never really appreciate your parents fridge until you look into your own and its full of condiments only"

downshift_sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:48 PM   #189
Tulok
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Tulok is just really niceTulok is just really niceTulok is just really niceTulok is just really niceTulok is just really niceTulok is just really niceTulok is just really niceTulok is just really niceTulok is just really niceTulok is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the thread is done, can't wait race par!
Tulok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #190
300hp owen
Zilvia Junkie

300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future
Quote:
The LS1 or VQ35 are the only engines that I would consider swapping into my car and I would keep both of them N/A and carb approved if at all possible. Unfortuanetly though I have yet to see a well done mount kit for either of those motors, which means making my own. Who cares about a little downtime? I just want it done 100% right the first time and I probably won't even be swapping a motor into my current chasis. I will acquire another s-13 (coupe this time) and build it from the ground-up 100% perfect the first time. I am officially now done with this thread! Nothing I say matters because none of you care and most can't even understand.
this thread wasnt about you, wasnt about your car or your swap plans. it was about sharing info though and you just take this all too personally.

lol @ your assessment of mount kits for the LS1 and VQ35 being so bad that you'd need to do some sort of complete redesign that might take you some unbelievably long time... rofl
Old 05-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #191
The ROMAN
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
The ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It'd be interesting to see a shootout between the N/A KAs and an N/A SR. Tomei sells a 250hp N/A SR but it's like 13:1 compression and needs race gas IIRC.
The ROMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #192
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp owen View Post

lol @ your assessment of mount kits for the LS1 and VQ35 being so bad that you'd need to do some sort of complete redesign that might take you some unbelievably long time... rofl

I actually like the smog legal VQ35de swaps. I honestly wouldn't mind spending the $7000 to drop one in my schassis. More torque than a turbo sr or KA, and it's smog legal. Why more people aren't doing this swap beats the hell out of me.
I would rather do the VQ over LS-1 swap because of the gas mileage the VQ's make, you can't beat 26MPG on average, for 260WHP.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #193
300hp owen
Zilvia Junkie

300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future
but uhhhhhh, isnt that the same gas mileage as LS1s? I know my LS1FC was right around 24-28mpg combined driving if I drove it like a normal person and not some rev happy tire shredding maniac (which is easily induced by the swap in the first place, lol). and I had 4.10 gears in the FC too. the LS1 just cruises at such a low rpm on the highway its great, 6th is super tall.
I hear ya,
VQ35de @ 260whp is nice @ $7000.
but,
LS1 @ 300whp is nicer @ $8000. w/ its MEGA TORRRRRQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #194
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to irax
no

VQ35DE swap is going to run you around $5k and will get anywhere between 240whp to 285whp and will get 35-28 mpg while doing it.

even a VQ35HR from an '07 will run you bewteen 2-3k (just the motorset itself) and all it needs is a tuned ecu and an exhaust and it will produce 300whp
Old 06-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #195
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
no

VQ35DE swap is going to run you around $5k and will get anywhere between 240whp to 285whp and will get 35-28 mpg while doing it.

even a VQ35HR from an '07 will run you bewteen 2-3k (just the motorset itself) and all it needs is a tuned ecu and an exhaust and it will produce 300whp

For what a transverse murano, altima, or Maxima engine? Those engines dont even use the same cams.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #196
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp owen View Post
but uhhhhhh, isnt that the same gas mileage as LS1s? I know my LS1FC was right around 24-28mpg combined driving if I drove it like a normal person and not some rev happy tire shredding maniac (which is easily induced by the swap in the first place, lol). and I had 4.10 gears in the FC too. the LS1 just cruises at such a low rpm on the highway its great, 6th is super tall.
I hear ya,
VQ35de @ 260whp is nice @ $7000.
but,
LS1 @ 300whp is nicer @ $8000. w/ its MEGA TORRRRRQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could be understating the VQ gasmileage. I know in the new 350z's they make relatively 24~26MPG. Now my murano that uses CVT transmission all wheel drive gets 27~30MPG. You should take into consideration that both of these chassis's are over 600~1000LB.s heavier than an s-chassis. I wouldn't be surprised if a VQ dropped into an s-chassis could get relatively 30MPG. Remember load has alot to do with gas mileage. For me to say that it could make 30MPG in an S-chassis is mearly just assumption, and no one has cared to proven what it's true gasmileage in the s-chassis really is.
From my friends z06 he is getting relatively 22~24MPG freeway.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #197
CKAMC
Post Whore!

CKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfection
some local kid was trying to convince me that a qr25 swap would work and be ubber cheap

idk

motor has a mixed history just like the vq
Old 06-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #198
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVinnie View Post
For what a transverse murano, altima, or Maxima engine? Those engines dont even use the same cams.
they don't thats why there is all sorts of power ranges and gas milage ranges.
you can swap out cams from any engine and matched with the right ecu it will make more power, but if your going that far why not just build a vq from the ground up.

My maxima engine produces 265~ wheel hp with just headers and 350z intake.
When my swap is done, if it makes 250whp i will be very happy because a tuned ecu is only $500 that increases hp and mpg and all the little things that I would add on as well like a plenum spacer, intake, and exhaust 275whp doesn't seem like a hurtle at all. Again considering its going through more drive train than fwd. But it will limit you to only intake cam variable lift but if you want to go all out power your better off starting off with a RWD block that has the intake and exhaust phasers anyways.

but for the most part, fwd blocks with ~10k-40k are found as cheap as KA with ~100k miles. The parts needed to convert for use with RWD are easy to find as well and can often be found for cheap since 350z guys buy upgrades and practically throw stock parts away.

If any mod could be as so kind as to cut this VQ talk out of this thread and into its own, I would appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:03 AM   #199
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post

but for the most part, fwd blocks with ~10k-40k are found as cheap as KA with ~100k miles. The parts needed to convert for use with RWD are easy to find as well and can often be found for cheap since 350z guys buy upgrades and practically throw stock parts away.

I've actually seen rebuilt 2003 and 2004 350z VQ's going for cheap, I guess there were oil burning issues in those models so there are an abundance of rebuilt for pretty good prices too.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 AM   #200
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVinnie View Post
I've actually seen rebuilt 2003 and 2004 350z VQ's going for cheap, I guess there were oil burning issues in those models so there are an abundance of rebuilt for pretty good prices too.
the REV-UP VQ's were the ones with oil consumption problems from mid 03 to late 05 to my understanding.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #201
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to cdlong
except the vq35hr wasn't produced until '07.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #202
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
^Might as well go for the VQ37
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #203
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
what was the oil burning issues in the pre VQ, faulty valve stem seals? that seems like an easy fix? the heads didn't change physically did it, through out the years?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #204
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlong View Post
except the vq35hr wasn't produced until '07.
REV-UP Vq's were VQ35DE not HR, so as far as we all know the HR is a perfect engine without any faults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitexsound View Post
what was the oil burning issues in the pre VQ, faulty valve stem seals? that seems like an easy fix? the heads didn't change physically did it, through out the years?
The problem with the REV-UPs was burning oil. But the problem is that the type of owner that would get a rev-up model was more likely to rev the snot out of it off the lot and not do actual brakein period. But there are some rev-ups that reportedly were babied and still had the oil consumption problem. I don't think the heads have changed over the years, the different models might have slightly different specs on the head like the 350z's heads would breath more vs maxima and altima.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #205
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

wont know till someone flow benches all the heads to really know, which casting is better..... but still each casting from any particular engine isnt always going to be the same...

if the heads didnt physically change... shit... then thats good what signifies a rev up from a reg vq? from my understanding of all the history nissan has done with all their motors... it would probably be cam profiles and the CC chamber...maybe even valvesprings..and size valve.. sometimes the intake and exhaust ports play a role... but thats not hard to deal with since you just need to port the head to what ever size.. that certain head you want to copy.... people have been swapping heads from different model cars for ever.... if it just deals with the head and valve stem seals going out... thats fucken cake...

been searching about the VQ high rev deal... found this on wikipedia

Nissan updated the VQ line for 2007 with the addition of the 3.5 L VQ35HR (for "High Revolution" or "High Response"). It produces 315 PS (311 hp/232 kW) at 6,800 RPM and 36.5 kg·m (358 N·m/264 ft·lbf) at 4,800 RPM, using a compression ratio of 10.6:1. It has NDIS (Nissan Direct Ignition System) and CVTC with hydraulic actuation on the intake cam and electromagnetic on the exhaust cam. Redline is 7,500 RPM. The intake is a high-flow tuned induction system. cams and ... up the CC.. different cam system... sweet..

and was checking out the vq40de nice spec... use the rod and crank.. keep the pistons... would be a nice motor if someone blue printed one..vq40de have hollow cranks what ever that means... since most cranks have oil galleys anyhow...

about the same bore... different stroke...might make alot of power...
Old 07-26-2011, 11:39 PM   #206
MajorLiquidGaming
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
MajorLiquidGaming is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MajorLiquidGaming Send a message via Yahoo to MajorLiquidGaming
hit up rps13 XD
MajorLiquidGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:01 AM   #207
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
noob. facepalm. wtf.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #208
ChemtrailsSR86

ChemtrailsSR86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure if it was mentioned but KA's are super easy to convert back to carbies too! I kno, I kno, you either love Carb's or hate them.
ChemtrailsSR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #209
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
So you bumped a six-month old thread and didn't read it?
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote