Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
school me on oil cooler setups.

alright well my SR mysteriously started popping off oil filters, so of course my motor pumped all of its oil out and ran dry and spun a bearing.

so while it is down for the rebuild i want to do a custom oil filter relocation and cooler setup just to ensure i dont have this problem again (along with an oil pressure gauge of course)

i'm kind of hazy as to how the whole setup works. so i have some questions

with a relocation does the flow go: engine -> oil filter -> oil cooler -> engine?

and if that is the case, can i use a greddy relocation kit, and just run custom return lines to route to the cooler and back to the greddy oil block?

i plan on using an earls 16 row cooler and all earls lines and fittings. as far as the oil block and the relocation block, i am unsure.

any help is greatly appreciated, i searched but didnt find much help
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
greddy kit sucks. throw that stuff in the trash. had it before. quality on that one u have is questionable at best
make ur own

summitracing u can get all the parts cheap

for the engine block unit thng, phase2 sells that circuit sports one, works great.
-10 all around imo
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
LongGrain
Post Whore!

LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
alright so greddy is a no go.

circuit sports looks to be a tomei knockoff and uses -8 fittings, are you running one of these? changing the fittings to -10 shouldnt be hard, but would i be better off with a tomei block?

what do i use for the filter block? i havent seen those sold separately, only in relocation kits.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
tomei block is -10
i have one.

get a earls oil filter relocator guy
its cheap
or u can do the INLINE earls oil filter. seems pretty cool
keeps your whole setup SUPER CLEAN

get a nce cooler, setrab or earls imo

filter inline:
http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/index...pt=Oil!_Filter

filter block
http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/index...ilter!_Adapter

and line -10 at least 10 ft is adequate
depending where u mount it
2 -10 straight (off tomei/circuit sports blocks)
next 4 depend on where u mount your cooler and the adapter plate for filter

2 90s for the block and 2 90s for the cooler?
could be different of course. depends on setup
Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
so do you use a thermostat?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

for the street/daily driver, cover your cooler w/ some duct tape
remove for track
Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
LongGrain
Post Whore!

ok i think ive got it figured out

tomei block, earls 16 row -10, earls inline filter -10, and then lines and fittings.

the guy that is rebuilding the motor told me that he has all the lines and fittings i'll need so i'll leave that up to him.

last thing i need to know is the flow order, was i right in my original post?

thanks for your help!

EDIT: whats the duct tape for? my car is only drivin from spring to fall, its put away for the winter, see's almost every track event during the season. I might also be retiring it from daily driving duties very soon, but i still drive it.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

i forget
i think its right
iirc the tomei deal has an in/out marking? i forget
its been ages since i put my setup together and such.

if u want to save money LONG TERM
then go typical oil filter relocater from earls
because that inline deal is $$$ everytime u gotta replace
but its coola t the same time

i have the similar style for my fuel filter! its the jaaaam
Old 11-17-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
LongGrain
Post Whore!

yea i'm pretty sure the tomei block has in and out markings, i'm just making sure the cooler goes between the filter and block on the return side, it seems like the logical order, but i'm just making sure.

as far as the inline filter goes, 30 or 40 bucks every couple months for an oil change isnt a huge deal. it definitely seems like a safer option than a conventional filter. i dont see something like that popping off.. just thinking about the safety of my engine.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #10
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

yeh the threaded route is the way to go
i love an fittings
haha
if u have the cash and u street drive
go w/ the black colored earls one
super baller and look more 'oe' status
Old 11-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
JeremyR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
JeremyR is a jewel in the roughJeremyR is a jewel in the roughJeremyR is a jewel in the roughJeremyR is a jewel in the roughJeremyR is a jewel in the roughJeremyR is a jewel in the roughJeremyR is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JeremyR
greedys oil block has a built in thermostat, for those who dont want the duct tape approach. and they sell it seperate from the kit.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
LongGrain
Post Whore!

word, we will see what jon says about lines and fittings since he is in charge of those. i dont really need to worry about looking stock since modifying cars isnt illegal out here, they dont pop our hoods or anything.. but ive seen the black an lines and fittings and they do look pretty cool. but i also like the traditional silver w/ blue/red. whatever works! should be a sweet setup, i'm excited for it.

do you know anyone running the in line filter?
Old 11-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #13
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarkrune View Post
greedys oil block has a built in thermostat, for those who dont want the duct tape approach. and they sell it seperate from the kit.

and its way overpriced
hahaha
thats the problem
over $150 iirc
you can gete like 30 rolls of tape for that cost.

NOT ONLY THAT
but u need to get a whole more grip of AN fittings
-10 fittings are at least 7+ bucks a pop and when u start going with 90s and 120s degees it gets more!

no idont know anyone personally
like i mentioned i use the fuel one w/ no issues
Old 11-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
LongGrain
Post Whore!

good deal, i'm pretty sure i'm going to try this out.

it will be like my first real mod! dang. now i'm just hoping for the best when we get the engine torn down. it has 1 spun bearing for sure, hoping that it stops there!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
pwr-adr
Leaky Injector

pwr-adr is a jewel in the roughpwr-adr is a jewel in the roughpwr-adr is a jewel in the roughpwr-adr is a jewel in the roughpwr-adr is a jewel in the roughpwr-adr is a jewel in the roughpwr-adr is a jewel in the roughpwr-adr is a jewel in the rough
I have a custom set up using a greddy oil block and PBM oil cooler. I am curious as to how I work with the capacity of one. I have a greddy style oil pan and with this set up how do I fill it up with oil?

Fill it up cold let it run to where the thermostat on the block opens and circulates then check the level again? Thanks ahead time..
pwr-adr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #16
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

yeah fill your pan
for mine since engine was new we just unplugged teh cas and turned it over
u can do same, get the juices flowing

fill up your oil, crank it a bunch get the oil moving and then run it, make sure all is well (enough oil) and that should be a-ok
Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #17
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG View Post
yeah fill your pan
for mine since engine was new we just unplugged teh cas and turned it over
u can do same, get the juices flowing

fill up your oil, crank it a bunch get the oil moving and then run it, make sure all is well (enough oil) and that should be a-ok
word thats what we did when we first fired up my motor also, except we just unplugged the injectors.

i figure the added lines and oil cooler will add about 1qt probably. i'm running the stock oil pan, dont really plan on upgrading that, i dont want to have to worry about busting a hole in an aluminum pan.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #18
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

i am like about 6?
greddy pan
oil cooler
Old 11-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #19
LongGrain
Post Whore!

not bad, stock is like just under 4? i usually just put in 4. extra 2qts is nice.

you think 10 feet of line will be plenty with the inline filter setup?

heres what i have on my list.

1x 10 feet of -10 line
4x straight swivel seal fittings (2 for oil block, 2 for inline filter)
2x 90 degree swivel seal fittings (for cooler)
1x 16 row earls oil cooler
1x tomei oil block adapter

should be everything right?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #20
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

depends where uput the cooler
i would think 10' would beok
but really have to bust out the tape measure and 2x check it

sounds good to me so far
where u gonna put the cooler? in frotn of radiator?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #21
LongGrain
Post Whore!

i hadnt really thought about it. i dont have my car here to look at, but i would assume somewhere up there. is that where its usually mounted? my setup is pretty basic, koyo, e-fans, and front mount.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #22
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

mine on the side
but w/ the flip up lights, they dont go all the way down, which doenst matter to me (goes much lower then in pic, they are all f'd up here..old pic

my buddy flybert put his up front in front of radiator, silvia face though, so good cooling still
Old 11-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #23
khilgers
Zilvia Addict

khilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond repute
I ordered the 10' section of -10 hose for my setup, and I had about 1.5' left.

My setup:
Tomei block adapter
Summit filter mount
-10 lines
Earls fittings
Setrab 16 row cooler
Earls thermostat

khilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #24
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
just get a "nascar" core cooler. 8X10 will work great and holds excellent

get earls oil block with 2 inlets. use 1 for outlet, 1 for inlet. use an 10

then get earls oil filter relocation block.

any stainless line will work. i used aeroequip. get fittings too

if you want to run a thermostat i recommend inline permacool. its like 60 bux i think. thats pretty much it man.

use summit for all your ordering. my setup was around 350$
if you want to cut corners, use ebay. just get quality stuff please
Old 11-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #25
LongGrain
Post Whore!

thanks kevin, i was waiting for you to chime in

420sx-i really dont mess around with cheap junk on my car.

i will probably mount it in front of the radiator or somewhere up there on the core support, just have to see how everything fits when i have both the car and cooler in front of me to test fit.

dang this is fun, cant wait to drive it again when spring comes, its going to have so many new goodies.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 AM   #26
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
im running a greddy thermostat filter base, tomei oil block, volvo oil cooler and Mr Gasket -10 lines and fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 AM   #27
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
has anyone seen pictures of a setup like this with a cartridge type of oil filter. I believe it's cartridge stuff, amsoil comes to mind but I may be wrong.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #28
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
What is wrong with the greddy?

I use their sandwish plate and SS lines... But I am running a RX7 turbo oil cooler without a thermostat cause the Greddy one has it. I think my lines -8's...

Any ideas? I am running it infront and slightly about my intercooler....
Old 11-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #29
drftmark
Zilvia Junkie

drftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura about
If you are piecing your oil cooler "kit" together, then what kind of thermostat does everyone get?
drftmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #30
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Sir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by japslapsilvia View Post
Looks a lot like my setup. Only I used bulkhead fittings, to get the lines not to rub throught against the body/radiator.

Tomei block, Setrab cooler, -8an.
Sir is offline   Reply With Quote