Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #91
dopplganger1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
dopplganger1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

is that the inline bypass? also would 1/2in. or 3/8in. line size be better?
dopplganger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #92
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopplganger1 View Post
Perma-Cool 1070 - Perma-Cool Remote Mount Oil Thermostats - summitracing.com

is that the inline bypass? also would 1/2in. or 3/8in. line size be better?
Yeah that would work.

Remote Oil Thermostats - summitracing.com
Old 01-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #93
fromxtor
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
fromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fromxtor Send a message via Yahoo to fromxtor
I'm bumping this thread because it contains a wealth of info and has helped me to decide what I wanted to do. This is a list of the setup I am going with:

Stance oil block (uses -10 AN fittings like the Tomei, but cheaper)
Trans-dapt oil filter mount
-10 AN lines built by me at work
Core(havent decided which brand to use)

^^I'm doing all this for like $250-$275, heres pics of the oil block and filter mount to give you an idea.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #94
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
dont use that oil mount
you'll blow way too much on fittings and lines, use this one:

AN PLUMBING.COM Earls performance products, Hose ends Hose,Adapters, fittings

part: 2178

or any similar type from summit
get the 'in/out' type not that 4 business. -10 fittings are $ and unecesary to have so much plumbing.
coolers: earls or setrab
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #95
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I'm assuming you don't run an oil thermostat on your relocation and cooler setup because it's a track car Aaron?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #96
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
i would do it same w/ street car
i would just tape my oil cooler or put some cardboard in front of it.
but thats just me.
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #97
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
haha yeah I caught that earlier in the thread... duct tape on the streets, no duct tape on the track.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #98
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG View Post
i would do it same w/ street car
i would just tape my oil cooler or put some cardboard in front of it.
but thats just me.
Yeah, I don't run a thermo either - you'd only want to run a thermo if you were worried about oil temps falling below nominal after the car's warm, which doesn't happen in socal.

I let the car warm up, and right about the same time the water thermo opens and my temps are up, my oil pressure at idle drops to about 14psi, so I know the oil's warm. Easy.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #99
Om1kron
Post Whore!

nice... I just need the relocation block and some lines and junk and i'm golden. I'm not running an oil cooler on a street car, retarded.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #100
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
nice... I just need the relocation block and some lines and junk and i'm golden. I'm not running an oil cooler on a street car, retarded.
It really does make a difference in coolant temps though (which means it's making a HUGE difference in oil temps). For some reason, SR's heat up the oil like nobody's business. I know before I used installed the cooler, I couldn't make it all the way up Angeles Crest without my temps rising to 220*+, which would make me want to slow it down and let the car rest for a bit... afterwards, I can run the car as hard as I want, in whatever weather, and never see temps above 200*.

Gives me a ton of peace-of-mind, as well as the super-handy filter relocation and "car bling", which are both also important

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 01-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #101
Om1kron
Post Whore!

well until my stance block ships out i'm dick in the dirt dead in that department anyway... I'm going to have to install this while the engine is in the car, it's going to suck.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #102
alesserfate
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
alesserfate is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Your oil filters could have been popping off due to bad threads on your oil block, over tightening your filter, or wrong filter.

I have a Blitz aluminum oil cooler kit that I use with a circuit sports oil block. It works well.

You can see it to the left of the intercooler in this pic, it's normally facing forward but because I hit a wall and had 45 minutes to fix my car before qualifying we just ended up zip tying it in whatever position just to make the car run.

Heres the original Blitz piece for the block that comes with the kit:
And the circuit sports piece we replaced that piece with (on the seat, blue):

alesserfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #103
DataXUnknown
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (30)
DataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Since this thread was bumped, I just have a small simple question. Is an oil cooler a good idea for a car thats both daily driven and tracked? I got an oil cooler off of an Evo, but I don't know if it's worth it to install it because I really don't track it that much yet. I have huge plans for it though. I don't know if keeping your oil temp. is really that important if your not heating it up a crazy amount.
DataXUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #104
Om1kron
Post Whore!

it's bad, so you should give me that cooler. like on the cheap. real cheap... kekeke
Old 01-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #105
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataXUnknown View Post
Since this thread was bumped, I just have a small simple question. Is an oil cooler a good idea for a car thats both daily driven and tracked? I got an oil cooler off of an Evo, but I don't know if it's worth it to install it because I really don't track it that much yet. I have huge plans for it though. I don't know if keeping your oil temp. is really that important if your not heating it up a crazy amount.
Dude, read up like two posts. I think it's still a good idea.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #106
TheArkitekt
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
TheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I use an oil cooler on my street/track car (not driven winters however) and my block adapter has a thermoswitch in it that opens only when the oil should need cooling. If its setup like this then you should be fine. If its open and cooling all the time itll take a while to get oil up to temp...

black adapter from grex
TheArkitekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #107
Om1kron
Post Whore!

haha cart was looking real good till I added 10 feet of that black aeroquip hose, i'm not running a cooler so I'll have to do measurements and decide where I'm going to mount that bitch.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #108
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I use the tomei block and i would of used the stance one but they didnt have it back than. I also use the earl's filter relocation thing and it works perfectly. Also use the earls thermostat. I dont think you need it but i use it just to be safe. And i dont know if someone answered your question yet but the flow goes from engine to filet to cooler back to engine.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #109
SRpetey
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
SRpetey is just really niceSRpetey is just really niceSRpetey is just really niceSRpetey is just really niceSRpetey is just really niceSRpetey is just really niceSRpetey is just really niceSRpetey is just really nice
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
in ganna use the tomei block adapter and want to know if i should put my after market temp gauge on the tomei block adapter or get on of this things and put it in the fitting where the oil from the engine comes out(the tomei -10 out fitting). Which will be more accurate??????

SRpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #110
Om1kron
Post Whore!

it wont be "more accurate" it will just be in a different place within the oiling system.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #111
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
haha cart was looking real good till I added 10 feet of that black aeroquip hose, i'm not running a cooler so I'll have to do measurements and decide where I'm going to mount that bitch.
I used just under 7ft of hose, with a cooler. That's pretty much minimum distances though - oil filter relocated just in front of the alternator, and the cooler just under pass side headlight.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #112
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i'm still sticking with the in-line filter, i dont really see any reason not too. It makes for a cleaner install, its washable and reusable, no worries of it coming off, etc.

already have STANCE oil block adapter (bought from TF a month before they released them), and Amazon just shipped out my cooler. now its just a matter of ordering the lines, fittings and filter from anplumbing and assembling lines.

is it ok for me to assemble the lines myself? ive never done it but it seems like a lot of members here assemble their own, is it difficult? i may try to find someone local who has done it before.

i'm glad this thread has helped out others
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #113
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGrain View Post
i'm still sticking with the in-line filter, i dont really see any reason not too. It makes for a cleaner install, its washable and reusable, no worries of it coming off, etc.
Cost?

Quote:
is it ok for me to assemble the lines myself? ive never done it but it seems like a lot of members here assemble their own, is it difficult? i may try to find someone local who has done it before.
It's not "difficult" but unless you do it right, you it leaks (or you break the fitting). As long as you've got the right wrenches and someone lookin over your shoulder who's done it, you should be fine.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #114
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:

already have STANCE oil block adapter (bought from TF a month before they released them), and Amazon just shipped out my cooler. now its just a matter of ordering the lines, fittings and filter from anplumbing and assembling lines.

i'm glad this thread has helped out others
the first (and thus far only) lines i've made were for my power steering setup. Stainless braided blah blah blah.

Mine don't leak at all. Just be careful and take your time....as with anything

If i pulled it off first try with PS lines (hella high pressure compared to engine oil).....i think you'll be alright
96Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #115
SRpetey
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
SRpetey is just really niceSRpetey is just really niceSRpetey is just really niceSRpetey is just really niceSRpetey is just really niceSRpetey is just really niceSRpetey is just really niceSRpetey is just really nice
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
it wont be "more accurate" it will just be in a different place within the oiling system.
but if I place it in the block adapter isn't it ganna read cooled oil since it has gone through the oil cooler and if I place it in the OUT fitting of the block adapter it would read the oil temp in the engine. Does it even matter?
SRpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #116
Om1kron
Post Whore!

cutting them looks like a bitch, they have like a meat cleaver knife type of deal and hammer through the line to make a straight cut, then place the fitting in a vice and twist the tube in it and apparently it wont come out after that point.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #117
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRpetey View Post
but if I place it in the block adapter isn't it ganna read cooled oil since it has gone through the oil cooler and if I place it in the OUT fitting of the block adapter it would read the oil temp in the engine. Does it even matter?
The oil is going to go through the whole system anyway, just think of it as a circle... there is no best place to put it if it's irrelevant. oil pressure is the one where I would worry about placement, definitely on the lines or on some block and not the oil pan. I don't know if it would read the same in both places.

i'm not a big engine pressure genius but the temp gauge is kind of a dead horse.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #118
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Cost?

It's not "difficult" but unless you do it right, you it leaks (or you break the fitting). As long as you've got the right wrenches and someone lookin over your shoulder who's done it, you should be fine.
yea its like $36 bucks, but i dont have to buy a filter pedestal, nor a new filter every time i change my oil, i can just pop this one off and clean it each time. replace the element if need be, but i think it would pay for it self after just a few oil changes.
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:44 AM   #119
LESS-TRACTION-MORE-ACTION

Trader Rating: (0)
LESS-TRACTION-MORE-ACTION is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey so with tomei block w/thermostat every time it's closed your oil is not filtered if you have a loop system eg block to filter to cooler to block?? Is there a set up which alows oil to be filterer even when thermo shut?? How much does it bypass while shut??
LESS-TRACTION-MORE-ACTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:22 AM   #120
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

The thermo is only closed while the car's warming up... once the oil comes up to temp, it'll never be cold enough outside to drop it down below 180* or so.

Don't worry about it.