Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #91
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
It's like those lifted trucks.

They blind the fuck out of you no matter what you're riding. I drove my SUV, S2K, 240sx, and a ES350.

Those fucking trucks blind the FUCK out of you no matter what.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE those trucks.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE it
babowc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #92
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo240sxdrifter View Post
^
Yes I am being serious, I am not saying HID's are the way to go as the OP did, but what I am saying is that no one gave any help as to what would be good alternative on a pop up s13. I know that at least the halogens that are in my car now do not provide satisfactory light for seeing far enough in advance on dark roads, so other then hid's what is a good alternative to the not so amazing light out put of yellow halogens?
Buy a set of aftermarket fog lights and point them slightly outward instead of forward to help you around corners up in the mountains...

My old Kouki with pep boys special truck foglights...$50 and does what its supposed to.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:54 AM   #93
KOUKIboy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
KOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
s14

I know that stock S14 lights with HID have a shitty output and blind people..But what about the German glass headlights with HID??? Does it work?? Is anyone in here running this setup??
Old 02-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #94
Mangudai
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Mangudai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOUKIboy View Post
I know that stock S14 lights with HID have a shitty output and blind people..But what about the German glass headlights with HID??? Does it work?? Is anyone in here running this setup??

No, because the German headlights are still fluted.
Mangudai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #95
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Location: Louisiana. LA is for Louisiana. L.A. is Los Angeles.
Trader Rating: (2)
LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangudai View Post
No, because the German headlights are still fluted.
Correct. Also, the German glass headlights with Osram Hyper bulbs are amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Come on, this isn't Gran Turismo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/24807...-stuff-fs.html
LA_phantom_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #96
esqueue
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
esqueue is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Street legal DOT approved headlights are available but expensive as fuck. Search google for XP6054 and cry at the price.
Tri-Xenon - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association
Sylvania makes some. They are also available in bi-xenon so you can retain your high beam.

I don't know but for some reason the sealed beam that came with my car does a damn good job.

esqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #97
Mangudai
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_phantom_240 View Post
Correct. Also, the German glass headlights with Osram Hyper bulbs are amazing.

Oh? That's good to know. Is there any chance you have a pic of those at night? I'm just now understanding how terrible yellowed Zenki headlights are so im getting the German lights in about a month or so.
Mangudai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #98
Gordo714
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Gordo714 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
searching for some HID but there is so many brands and kits out there....so anyone know of good brands or places to get them .....
Gordo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #99
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangudai View Post
Oh? That's good to know. Is there any chance you have a pic of those at night? I'm just now understanding how terrible yellowed Zenki headlights are so im getting the German lights in about a month or so.

i'm also leaning towards that route (german + hids). retrofitting is too complex, expensive for me to do solo unfortunately.

xquizitditz
enkei2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #100
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by esqueue View Post

god those are ugly as fuck (and made in taiwan).

might as well strap some titties on the front of your car.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #101
Mangudai
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkei2k View Post
i'm also leaning towards that route (german + hids). retrofitting is too complex, expensive for me to do solo unfortunately.
There are people who offer the service if your willing to save up.

Quote:
might as well strap some titties on the front of your car.

Lol.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #102
Rag
Zilvia Member

Rag is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Rag
My setup:

Every time i see a car with HID's in anything but a projector i wish horrible things upon them.

If you don't want to retrofit projectors you can go with a budget route; E-code H4 housings. Run a full 10gauge harness with decent relays, then you can run 90/100watt bulbs safely, keep police at bay, pass inspection and most importantly not blind other motorists.

autopal E-code H4's

All of you that insist on using HID in anything but a projector are no better than the morons that drive around in riced out civics and integras. Die in a fire.
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #103
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection

wow...................... that looks so................. sexy??

(cringe)
Old 02-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #104
Rag
Zilvia Member

If you are looking for a good looking hatch, look elsewhere. Sexy cars? hahaha, i have more important things to put my time and money into
Old 02-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #105
YoungGun
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
YoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I have ebay hid's in my halogen headlights.

I believe I kill about 4-5 people in oncoming traffic a night.
YoungGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #106
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
http://zilvia.net/f/chat/27724-house...sion-pics.html

and

ClearCorners.Com [ nissan ]
Old 02-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #107
Rag
Zilvia Member

^^^ those were taken into consideration when brainstorming, along with the frog eye headlamp door replacements. I decided to go with a pair of Hella Micro-DE's i had laying around.

My reasoning:

-They are small enough to fit the projectors/ballast assemblies under the headlamp door.
-No need for retro into a housing, they are sealed with a vented by nature
-Cheap at the time
-Housings can take 50watt HID's without damage (unlike other super compact projector assemblies)
-Widest light pattern of all other popular compact projector assemblies

Cons:

-Cutoff is definetely there and great but in stock form they cannot rival TSX, S2k, 350Z units in sharpness and color
-Pricey without a hookup/discount
-stock lens difused output too much
Old 03-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #108
ta2maki

ta2maki is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag View Post
Every time i see a car with HID's in anything but a projector i wish horrible things upon them.
Not all DOT legal HID kits come with projector optics.

ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #109
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag View Post
^^^ those were taken into consideration when brainstorming, along with the frog eye headlamp door replacements. I decided to go with a pair of Hella Micro-DE's i had laying around.

My reasoning:

-They are small enough to fit the projectors/ballast assemblies under the headlamp door.
-No need for retro into a housing, they are sealed with a vented by nature
-Cheap at the time
-Housings can take 50watt HID's without damage (unlike other super compact projector assemblies)
-Widest light pattern of all other popular compact projector assemblies

Cons:

-Cutoff is definetely there and great but in stock form they cannot rival TSX, S2k, 350Z units in sharpness and color
-Pricey without a hookup/discount
-stock lens difused output too much

you forgot one more Con:
- Hella Micro DE is not designed to be a headlight, so they are not DOT compliant for high or low beam operation, You're using fog lights for headlights.

Congratulations, douche. I dont know whats worse, using foglights for headlights or that fugly metal vent on your hood.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #110
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
Not all DOT legal HID kits come with projector optics.

Sylvania Xenarc........

more cheap craptastic lights made in taiwan. no thanks

just thought you might want to know that you can basically throw all that in the garbage and a pair of HALOGEN H4 bulbs in a pair of Cibie 200mm ECE headlights will outperform that shitty setup.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #111
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Buy a set of aftermarket fog lights and point them slightly outward instead of forward to help you around corners up in the mountains...

My old Kouki with pep boys special truck foglights...$50 and does what its supposed to.
yeah thats what i did
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #112
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by esqueue View Post
Street legal DOT approved headlights are available but expensive as fuck. Search google for XP6054 and cry at the price.
Tri-Xenon - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association
Sylvania makes some. They are also available in bi-xenon so you can retain your high beam.

I don't know but for some reason the sealed beam that came with my car does a damn good job.

Those won't fit in an S13. Not enough clearance in front of the stock sealed beam to allow an extra ~4" forward 'bubble' for the projector.

Quote:
Quote:
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #113
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post

just thought you might want to know that you can basically throw all that in the garbage and a pair of HALOGEN H4 bulbs in a pair of Cibie 200mm ECE headlights will outperform that shitty setup.
Mike, typically we butt heads cause you have a tendency to be a dick, but I gotta agree with you on this one. A friend of mine got the Cibie lamps with some Osram Hyper bulbs in his S13 (of course, with relayed harness using sufficient gauge wire), and the light output is leaps and bounds above stock... and a THOUSAND times better than a drop-in kit.

Unfortunately, he's in basic right now so I can't get pics.

EDIT: Shit, meant to edit this into my last post. Sorry for the double post lol.

Quote:
Quote:
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #114
ta2maki

ta2maki is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Sylvania Xenarc........

more cheap craptastic lights made in taiwan. no thanks

Shitty, maybe, but technically legal. Aren't E-coded headlamps illegal for use on US highways?
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #115
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
Putting High Intensity bulbs (a shitty HID kit) into a Halogen housing/projector is a no-no. If you want HID's do it the right way the first time and retro-fit OEM Xenon projectors
i dont have hid's and my h4 glass housing cracked when i would leave my
high beams on lol
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:05 AM   #116
NISMOTUNEDZ
Leaky Injector

NISMOTUNEDZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Haha this is the one of funniest threads on here...
NISMOTUNEDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #117
Gordo714
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Gordo714 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
yeah it is.^^^^^^ so here it is HIDs are a negative with out projectors
it better with them so they produce a cut off for the rest of the people i agree
there is still people that rather have the Straight HID inside ebay H4 housing oh well let them be... people are going to do what they want...everyone has there own style.
Gordo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #118
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
Shitty, maybe, but technically legal. Aren't E-coded headlamps illegal for use on US highways?
with 5 posts, do you have any plans on change US lighting regulations and standards? maybe you can convince the government to legalize ECE lighting requirements here in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo714 View Post
it better with them so they produce a cut off for the rest of the people i agree
there is still people that rather have the Straight HID inside ebay H4 housing oh well let them be... people are going to do what they want...everyone has there own style.
not that i understand what you're talking about, but................

this isnt about STYLE, you're not painting a hood or chosing between an 18" or 16" wheel. This is about lighting which effects other drives who share the road with you and directly effects how you see things at night while driving.

The lighting standards and regulations were made to protect everyone, this means protecting people from having accidents with other people, and to protect people from having accidents by themselves or with objects that they cannot see at night.

its not a matter of style.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #119
Rag
Zilvia Member

Quote:
you forgot one more Con:
- Hella Micro DE is not designed to be a headlight, so they are not DOT compliant for high or low beam operation, You're using fog lights for headlights.

Congratulations, douche. I dont know whats worse, using foglights for headlights or that fugly metal vent on your hood.
Quote:
with 5 posts, do you have any plans on change US lighting regulations and standards? maybe you can convince the government to legalize ECE lighting requirements here in the US.

not that i understand what you're talking about, but................

this isnt about STYLE, you're not painting a hood or chosing between an 18" or 16" wheel. This is about lighting which effects other drives who share the road with you and directly effects how you see things at night while driving.

The lighting standards and regulations were made to protect everyone, this means protecting people from having accidents with other people, and to protect people from having accidents by themselves or with objects that they cannot see at night.

its not a matter of style.
You preach about function>style, yet you brought style into this thread when you started to bash my car. This discussion is about lighting, not a $500 1990 240sx that will be treated as a $500 hunk of junk.

I simply offered another option for those that want HID lighting without using a 200mm housing. The Micro DE can and will take a 50watt HID retrofit safely and easily, as long as you aim them properly. Notice how i never told people to remove a good working headlamp for a Frankenstein creation.

stop being so confrontational and quit acting like an E-thug.

and to keep this on track and on topic:

"Blazer fogs"

the projectors in the link i provided apparently provide somewhat decent results when a 30watt HID kit is installed. only issue is the distortion of cutoff near the ends... as you can see.

but when aimed low and slightly to the sides they seem to make a decent cornering light, especially due to it's compact size.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #120
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Once again: Foglights for Headlights = ILLEGAL

It's not the fun kind of illegal either, that is hidden under a closed hood in the form of an engine you shouldn't be using. It's the kind of illegal that is the first thing noticed about your car at night and WILL get you pulled over.

Quote:
a $500 1990 240sx that will be treated as a $500 hunk of junk.
Don't even get me started on this ridiculous thought process.