Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-18-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
FloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to FloridaRacing
fitting a small block chevy into an S13

My thread got locked before because it was simply a list of parts, well now those list of parts have made their way to a form of a completed engine that is a traditional 400 CI small block Chevy. It has been on the engine dyno and has made 702 HP and 684 FT/TQ. I have been working with Mckinney Motorsports on sourcing parts to make a first mount kit work for these engines.

Small block Chevys are cheap, easy to find, and hopefully after this, give people a cheaper alternative to an LS based engine. Best part of all, it is carbbed and requires minimal wiring.

This isnt the engine, rather than a mock up. Mounts are prototypes and are pretty close to done. The oil pan is a front sump type that has been modified to fit between the sway bar and sub frame without any modifications. The header type is equal length and will only require minimal drivers side adjustment to fit. Transmission is a TKO 600, which is shorter then a traditional 5 speed. A Traditional one will fit further back and correctly in the hole, which they are also building mounts for off this engine. Here is the initial mock up of these mounts on the test engine.

Last edited by FloridaRacing; 01-08-2009 at 02:57 PM..
FloridaRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #2
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Headers look fucking crazy...that shit gonna have enough room to clear the steering shaft???

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #3
420sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
why so crazy with the headers? and you should have pushed the motor further, the shifter is way far in.

i had no problem fitting the ls1 into my s14, using my mounts of course.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:32 AM   #4
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Trader Rating: (0)
kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I assume this is a "track only" swap. I don't see how you are going to get a carbed motor past a ref.

Cool swap though.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:11 AM   #5
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Headers look fucking crazy...that shit gonna have enough room to clear the steering shaft???
lol OP's next post

oh shit....

we forgot about that....
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:51 AM   #6
mxexux
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
mxexux is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
"Best part of all, it is carbbed and requires minimal wiring." I really wouldn't say that is the best part of all. I'd say it is the cheapest part of all. hehehe
mxexux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:10 AM   #7
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I think I am the only person on here with this swap. My comments for you:

* Good job on height placement. I think your engine may actually be lower than mine. My biggest gripe with a lot of kits is that they place the engine way too high.

* Why didn't you cut out the firewall and shove the motor as further back as you possibly can? It will give better weight distribution as well as allowing you to shorten the propeller shaft as well.

* I used block hugger headers. Probably doesn't make as much top end as your headers but they're cheap and they fit.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to let me know. I'll do what I can based on my experience with this swap.

Good to see the small block getting some love. Good luck.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #8
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

FloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to all
The headers will fit just fine, they passenger side works great and the driver side just needs a pie cut and shift on the 3 bolt flange, thats it. Also they are equal length with 1 7/8s primaries. Believe it or not, these are off the shelf headers from Hooker.

As I stated above, this transmission is based of a muncie 4 speed and is shorter then a traditional 5- 6 speed, which will fit fully centered on those applications.

The idea behind this swap was to make it as easy as possible for people to recreate with the mount kit, and also this is a street car, I didnt want to cut the firewall and shove the motor back into the dash.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
ROUGE180
Zilvia Addict

ROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to ROUGE180 Send a message via Yahoo to ROUGE180
I can't wait to see the progress especially with the traditional type trans. So ball park, how much would a swap like this cost turn key assuming that I did all the labor? Nothing crazy, no upgrades, just in the car mounted and ready to drive.
ROUGE180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #10
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post

If you have any specific questions please feel free to let me know. I'll do what I can based on my experience with this swap.

Good to see the small block getting some love. Good luck.
Pics? I have only found 1 other documented SBC swap into a 240
Old 12-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGE180 View Post
I can't wait to see the progress especially with the traditional type trans. So ball park, how much would a swap like this cost turn key assuming that I did all the labor? Nothing crazy, no upgrades, just in the car mounted and ready to drive.
Thats vague, it all depends on how much you want to spend on a motor, theres everything from brand new stock GM 350s, strokers, to used engines.

You could find a running 4 speed with a 350 for probably $1000-$1500, plus mounts, oil pan, oil pump pickup. Theres no pricing yet on the swap parts, but probably mounted and running for around $3k
Old 12-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #12
wow-thats-a-cool-car
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
wow-thats-a-cool-car is close to perfectionwow-thats-a-cool-car is close to perfectionwow-thats-a-cool-car is close to perfectionwow-thats-a-cool-car is close to perfectionwow-thats-a-cool-car is close to perfectionwow-thats-a-cool-car is close to perfectionwow-thats-a-cool-car is close to perfectionwow-thats-a-cool-car is close to perfectionwow-thats-a-cool-car is close to perfectionwow-thats-a-cool-car is close to perfectionwow-thats-a-cool-car is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wow-thats-a-cool-car
there doesn't look like theres room for like anything important. Like the break booster and windshield wiper motor and like all the steering stuff. But I can't wait to see it done, so hurry up and finish it lol
Old 12-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #13
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaRacing View Post
Pics? I have only found 1 other documented SBC swap into a 240
Read the V8 FAQ. I some pix splattered in that thread.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow-thats-a-cool-car View Post
there doesn't look like theres room for like anything important. Like the break booster and windshield wiper motor and like all the steering stuff. But I can't wait to see it done, so hurry up and finish it lol
Theres plenty of room for all that stuff, one of the header tubes MAY have to be modified for brake booster.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How does the distributor fit?
Old 12-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #16
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
How does the distributor fit?
Note the large cutout in the firewall above the rear of the motor.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #17
VQMaxFan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
VQMaxFan is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What happens when you want to change your spark plugs? It looks nearly impossible with those headers.
VQMaxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #18
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
Note the large cutout in the firewall above the rear of the motor.
no, thats from something else, this is just a mockup engine bay.

The distributor fits fine, HEI types are a little too big, but no one runs them anyway

spark plugs are super easy to get to
Old 12-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #19
trsilvias13
Nissanaholic!

trsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to behold
I read somewhere that some guy figured out how to drop one a sbc motor into a s13 using engine mounts from a van - it was direct drop in and no need to weld anything or something close to a bolt in, no welded type build. It wasn't on silviav8.com, but I think it was link from there to maybe Nico. But I remember seeing it somewhere.
trsilvias13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

Ill have to check it out, but this mount kit puts the engine in the right spot
Old 12-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #21
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

modified pan, making a front sump pickup work on a rear sump oil pump, engine waiting for final mockup

Old 12-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #22
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
what the fuck is done to that small block to make 700HP? On motor or Nitrous?
Old 12-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #23
RUTH'LESSDET
Zilvia Addict

RUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to RUTH'LESSDET
2008 is the year of the import v8....I love it!!!!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #24
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
what the fuck is done to that small block to make 700HP? On motor or Nitrous?
yep, 523 on motor, 702 on nitrous, only 10:1 compression, makes power to 6400, probably a 7000 RPM limiter. Makes 418 FT/TQ by 2500 RPM

Old 12-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #25
sillyvia13
BANNED

sillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfection
thats a ghey engine throw it away....
waits out back for trash to fly....

HOLY! SHIT!
CAN YOU PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a video of mean burnouts! PLEASE! and side cut exh so flames can be seen by driver aand passenger...

FUCK YES!
so badass.
sillyvia13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #26
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

it will def have a cutout off an X pipe, dont worry about that
Old 12-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #27
sillyvia13
BANNED

sillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfection
Quote:
it will def have a cutout off an X pipe, dont worry about that
ok, I need you to say I promise Russ, I will pop a set of tires in 4th gear for you!

lol.

You will have the sickest s13 in my book.
i wanna see a fucking wheelie bar and shit...
I dare you to do wheelies you wont!!!!
sillyvia13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #28
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
no, thats from something else, this is just a mockup engine bay.
What is the cutout for?

Quote:
The distributor fits fine, HEI types are a little too big, but no one runs them anyway
If not HEI, then what are you running?

Quote:
spark plugs are super easy to get to
Correct. They're much easier to get to than an LS1 in an fbody.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #29
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Quote:
yep, 523 on motor, 702 on nitrous, only 10:1 compression, makes power to 6400, probably a 7000 RPM limiter. Makes 418 FT/TQ by 2500 RPM
Nice, Mind PMing me the spec's on the motor (cam,rotating assembly,etc)

My buddy has a 72 Chevelle with a 496 BBC car motor made 732HP on motor.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:23 AM   #30
xs240
BANNED

xs240 is an unknown quantity at this point
damn.. no replacment for displacement. This car will be mad. Question.... what is it's purpose?
xs240 is offline   Reply With Quote