Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
LadyJdm
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (4)
LadyJdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What Is A Easy Way To Gain Torque In A Ka24E Sohc Engine???

Hi Everyone! I Have A Few Questions To Ask About ,"How To Gain Torque",
I'm Still New To The World Of Motors...

[So PLEASE BARE WITH ME!!!] [ >_<;]

I just bought a s13 coupe with a ka24e single cam engine, works good! but i'm planning on tuning the engine, for all motor.

I heard a couple easy ways to gain torque, but i wanted to ask for sure if it REALLY works, i see forums online, but they still don't give me a good example about the plus & negatives about it, and so here are my questions!

I heard you can gain EASY torque if you install a 350z clutch and also a rb20 flywheel?

Couple Of people online have seen it done and also have experiences with it also, so are they pretty easy to install? and is it really true about if you install these 2 things, its one of the easiest ways to gain easy torque???

LadyJdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
why do you need more torque?
just curious?
Might be easier for us to help you if we knew your end goal and reason.

From what I hear, all motor builds are extremely expensive and are only really for guys that are running certain racing classes where you need to have the stock engine.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
NismoDriverS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
NismoDriverS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
why would u even keep KA24E??? get engine swap, go for KA24DE, SR's, RB's.

KA24E's are crap imo. im rockin my KA24e for now till i get a G, then swap that shit out of there.

it's just not worth spending money on a ka24e......
NismoDriverS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
I LUV MY S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
I LUV MY S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
ka24e are good motors...

-Jorge
I LUV MY S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Ben G
Zilvia Junkie

Ben G is an unknown quantity at this point
install rb... torque complete
Ben G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
LadyJdm

well everyone has a ka dohc,rb20, or sr20, i want to be alittle different in my engine tuning, and also, right now im in the process of having a drift/daily car, my single cam is good, but i want alittle more punch when i hit higher revs, and i also canyon, so i do need more power to go up hill also.

i was thinking bout going dual cam, but i want to mess around with the single cam motor 1st so i can learn from my mistakes before i go for a bigger motor =)

but my question is does a 350z clutch & rb20 flywhell really help with that much torque???
Old 12-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Katsumbhong
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Katsumbhong is making a name for him/her selfKatsumbhong is making a name for him/her selfKatsumbhong is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Basic Bolt ons would be the easiest way to get a little more torque.

*4-2-1 headers vs 4-1 headers like BBP Headers
*Intake
*Exhaust system

The sure-fire way is turbocharge your car... but you'll be needing to upgrade the fuel system and you'll need to tune the ECU, along with needing to run oil feed and drain lines.

KA engines are torquey vs. NA SR engines from my experience

Instead of concentrating on power (if you are planning to autocross the car or take it to the track), concentrate on suspension, coilovers, adjustable arms, Wheels, and good tires.
Katsumbhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Touge Noob S13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
Touge Noob S13 is making a name for him/her selfTouge Noob S13 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
A nice exhaust or any other little bolt-on like that, you arent going to be making much but its something at least.
Touge Noob S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Katsumbhong
Zilvia Junkie

Katsumbhong is making a name for him/her selfKatsumbhong is making a name for him/her selfKatsumbhong is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJdm View Post
well everyone has a ka dohc,rb20, or sr20, i want to be alittle different in my engine tuning, and also, right now im in the process of having a drift/daily car, my single cam is good, but i want alittle more punch when i hit higher revs, and i also canyon, so i do need more power to go up hill also.

i was thinking bout going dual cam, but i want to mess around with the single cam motor 1st so i can learn from my mistakes before i go for a bigger motor =)

but my question is does a 350z clutch & rb20 flywhell really help with that much torque???
Don't know about the 350/rb combo, but you can always run a white bunny set up
Everday Tuning: The White Bunny Special

Swapping out clutches don't up torque, but allow you to run higher torque numbers w/o torque slip

White bunny clutch swap gives you more tractable area on the clutch surface.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
LadyJdm

well i have a apexi ws noir exhaust system,megan coilovers and a injen intake system also, but i will look for headers, ive been meaning to go buy some =)

and oo thanx bout the white bunny special!! i will read up on that! sounds intresting ^_^
Old 12-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
NismoDriverS13
Zilvia Junkie

i think the KA24e's are a hard engine to work on, too much shit in the wrong or just can't reach most parts.

think about running itb's (individual throttle bodies) that's a nice bolt-on too.

i knew a guy with itb's on ka24e and it sounded, performed, and looked SICK!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
240sxrb25
Zilvia Junkie

240sxrb25 is an unknown quantity at this point
cant reach most part???!!
what ka24e's are you wokring on?

my ka24e 240 car is a dream to work on compared to my rb25 240
240sxrb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #13
LadyJdm

oo ive seen a some nice throttle bodies on dual cams, and yeah single cam motors are hard, i had to replace my starter and alternator and its way harder on a single cam then a dual cam cause everything is so jam packed! >_<

but i will put that on my list as well about the throttle bodies, i totally forgot bout them!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
ericcastro
Post Whore!

ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
The KA24e is actually the engine of choice for building all motor KA's.

The KA will be more torque than an SR, and street legal.

whats your suspension?

suspension will make you faster.
track time will make you faster.
5-10 more hp on a KA with no track time isnt gonna do anything for your ability to drive fast and beat people.

go to the track with your money and learn the right way.
I ran a SOHC with shocks, springs and a VLSD for 2 years.
I used to chase down WRX's, S2000's, and even a DB9 at the track.
Its driver and seat time over power and engine.

see you at the track, right??
Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #15
NismoDriverS13
Zilvia Junkie

^^ yea if u find any and there are extras, hook it up then!!! hehe.

yea, my hands are big and there is just too many effin wires, cramped up parts...... everytime i work on the car i get some great yoga exercises. LOL!

good luck with ur single slammer....hehe
Old 12-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #16
LadyJdm

i have megan coilover 32 adjustables, im thinking bout a new setup tho, cause i bought the car with the megans and i want a much more smoother ride but can also be agressive also, and for me, i want to learn how to drift, not for competion but to just drift, i feel like i need more power, and i like doing things different than others also, and a built ka24e will be a great start!

Last edited by LadyJdm; 12-15-2009 at 03:33 PM..
Old 12-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #17
LadyJdm

Quote:
^^ yea if u find any and there are extras, hook it up then!!! hehe.

yea, my hands are big and there is just too many effin wires, cramped up parts...... everytime i work on the car i get some great yoga exercises. LOL!

good luck with ur single slammer....hehe
and thanx for the support ^__^
Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #18
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Quote:
i have megan coilover 32 adjustables, im thinking bout a new setup tho, cause i bought the car with the megans and i want a much more smoother ride but can also be agressive also, and for me, i want to learn how to drift, not for competion but to just drift, ive touge in the canyons, and chase down bmws,s2ks,240s,and the ocasional subarus/lancers but for me, i feel like i need more power, and i like doing things different than others also, and a built ka24e will be a great start!
Well, it sounds like its time to come out to the track and learn to drift.
Like you are now, and alot of members, I started in the canyon and industrial areas.
But i really didnt learn shit till i started going to the track.
i learned more in 2 events of drifting then i had in an entire year on the touge.

FYI, talking in depth about street drifting or canyons is pretty much a no-no here.
we all may have a spirited drive from time to time, but we try and keep people on the track and above the ground.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:28 AM   #19
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumbhong View Post
Don't know about the 350/rb combo, but you can always run a white bunny set up
Everday Tuning: The White Bunny Special

Swapping out clutches don't up torque, but allow you to run higher torque numbers w/o torque slip

White bunny clutch swap gives you more tractable area on the clutch surface.
a white bunny setup (aswell as the 350z set up) gives you a larger clamping
area on the clutch.
This allows you to hold more torque when doing a KA-T, for example, while retaining OEM feel and travel.

Quote:
i have megan coilover 32 adjustables, im thinking bout a new setup tho, cause i bought the car with the megans and i want a much more smoother ride but can also be agressive also, and for me, i want to learn how to drift, not for competion but to just drift, ive touge in the canyons, and chase down bmws,s2ks,240s,and the ocasional subarus/lancers but for me, i feel like i need more power, and i like doing things different than others also, and a built ka24e will be a great start!
If you're looking to drift I would recommend to just do basic maintenance on your SOHC for now
since after a little while you're most likely going to want more power
and will probably swap your motor out.

and an aside, something I've heard:
the reason SOHC NA power was so well developed was because of restrictions imposed to 4 valve motors back then
from talking to people with experience, the DOHC when developed is actually more capable
but that takes $$$$$
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #20
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
A tuneup is the best thing you can do for a 20 year old motor short of a rebuild.

If you still insist on the single cam: Nissan KA24E SCCA GT3 Race Engine Spec Sheet

Performance doesn't come cheaply.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #21
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
obx 4-2-1 header (better than hotshot), 3" test pipe and 3" exhaust, a real cold air intake, not just a filter. extra 25whp/idk how much torque right there. but as mentioned, a lot of people overlook suspension, it is crucial, as well as a differential.
shiftdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #22
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
obx 4-2-1 header (better than hotshot), 3" test pipe and 3" exhaust, a real cold air intake, not just a filter. extra 25whp...............
So basic exhaust and intake will put you just under a S13 SR HP ?
no way.

And imo, you will keep more lower end power and torque by NOT going with a 3" exhaust. you want the back pressure with a KA.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #23
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
redline racer510 is on the path to ruinredline racer510 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Even with full bolt ons you wont feel much of an improvement in torque. The only sure fire way of getting more torque is getting everything (headers,exhaust,intake,cams)tuned using something along the lines of an aem ems, but even then this is not a cost effective or efficient way of getting power.Save-up and go turbo IMHO, thats what I am planning on doing and trust me you will be more than satisfied with a KA-T.
redline racer510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #24
Katsumbhong
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
obx 4-2-1 header (better than hotshot), 3" test pipe and 3" exhaust, a real cold air intake, not just a filter. extra 25whp/idk....
I think your butt dyno is broken.

Maybe... and that's a big MAYBE, 25hp at the crank

KA's are horrible at power gains when it comes to bolt-on NA performance. KA's shine when it comes to forced induction though:
Everday Tuning: KA24DE... the Red Headed Stepchild
Old 12-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #25
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

this isn't a dohc. it is a sohc for one, for two a 3" exhaust is PROVEN TO MAKE MORE POWER EVEN ON NA SETUPS. maybe you should do some research.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #26
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

but yes, just go turbo.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #27
Katsumbhong
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
this isn't a dohc. it is a sohc for one, for two a 3" exhaust is PROVEN TO MAKE MORE POWER EVEN ON NA SETUPS. maybe you should do some research.
I know it's a SOHC numbnuts, information I posted is relative to both the single cam and dual cam KA. The only big difference is that one has a re-designed head that incorportates a dual cam set up. Any exhaust that flows more than an anemic stock exhaust will net power, but the KA sucks at making power with bolt on's compared to other engines. You should crawl back into your mother's womb for a few months, hopefully your brain can fully develop there.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #28
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

but we are talking about the ka, not other engines. i'm just saying, i/e will give you 25 extra ponies. my friend actually dynoed his sohc after doing what i mentioned and had 25whp more. don't ask forthe sheet,because this was 5 years ago....don't get all butthurt. it's just my opinion after all.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #29
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Quote:
but we are talking about the ka, not other engines. i'm just saying, i/e will give you 25 extra ponies. my friend actually dynoed his sohc after doing what i mentioned and had 25whp more. don't ask forthe sheet,because this was 5 years ago....don't get all butthurt. it's just my opinion after all.
it is your opinion.
I have been running a SOHC for a few years now and owned my first S13 when you were about 6.

you will gain about 3 HP on the VERY top end running that 3" exhaust.
But you will loose that much on the bottom, where the torque is, where your canyon RPM's are, where your drift RPM's are.
You can feel a HUGE difference on the bottom end when you go back from shitty 3" exhaust with a N1 muffler, to stock.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #30
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

......i slide at 6-6500 in my sohc, my 3" exhaust does just fine