Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #61
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
S13 curtis is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcastro View Post
The KA24e is actually the engine of choice for building all motor KA's.

The KA will be more torque than an SR, and street legal.
Sry.Hell no a N/A single cam slammer will not make more TQ than a SR!

and it will be a slug with only a stock exhaust.

After i steped outa my car and got into my buddys Sohc KA i couldnt even tell the difference between 1/4 throttle and wide open.

it needs some boost to make decent power. with it all stock im pretty sure you will have to constantly kick the clutch jus to keep the tires turning over due to lack of power.but since u wanna go all motor JWT sell a cam for that motor and get headers and find a bigger throttle body if they make one for it.
S13 curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #62
LadyJdm
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (4)
LadyJdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
yeah fo sho<3 i mean for me the ka24e is waaaaay stronger then my civic d16 non vtec lol, but i also had a few cars i messed with before, 350z & bmw m3 coupe 06 SMG <3<3<3

but from what ive seen and know, i dont like following with the crowd, cause by the end if i would drive there cars they would say ,

"whoa i didnt know my car could do that".

lolz <3
LadyJdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #63
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Hi Lilly

Sorry I didn't realize it was you who started this thread.

1. Make sure the motor is running in tip top shape

2. Lots of track time to get a feel for the stock motor

3. Turbo that bitch through Jonathan after you get to know the car. By far the most bang for the buck for torque

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #64
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
Quote:
Originally Posted by S13 curtis View Post
Sry.Hell no a N/A single cam slammer will not make more TQ than a SR!

and it will be a slug with only a stock exhaust.

After i steped outa my car and got into my buddys Sohc KA i couldnt even tell the difference between 1/4 throttle and wide open.

it needs some boost to make decent power. with it all stock im pretty sure you will have to constantly kick the clutch jus to keep the tires turning over due to lack of power.but since u wanna go all motor JWT sell a cam for that motor and get headers and find a bigger throttle body if they make one for it.
oh gawd dude, just stop.
Several of us with experience here have stated what your saying isnt true.
just stop.

And to the OP.
I wouldnt get a lightened flywheel for drift.
with the lower HP engines you want to have all the momentum and weight of that flywheel spinning so your clutch kicks are more effective.

good choice on the KA as a learner engine.
see you on the track and ask us KA guys out there for some advice. Its a little different in a KA car then a SR and we have certain tricks (especially for tandem).
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #65
sincity_sil80
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
sincity_sil80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJdm View Post
well everyone has a ka dohc,rb20, or sr20, i want to be alittle different
everyone on here also has a 240.. if you want to be different get an aveo lmao

20 till 3:00 =
sincity_sil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #66
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
well everyone has a ka dohc,rb20, or sr20, i want to be alittle different in my engine tuning
I know of only 1 other member on Zilvia that has a Chevy small block Gen 0/1.

Mine has been running for 2 years now and I don't know where he is on his.

Another option if you want to be different.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #67
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
The KA24e is actually the engine of choice for building all motor KA's.
Are you saying that the single cam is better than the twin KA cam for going NA?
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #68
Rag
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Rag is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rag
I forgot to add one more piece of advice. It was given to me by a good friend of mine.

Learn as much as you can with a stock ka, it doesn't matter if it has one or two cams. Do not fear 3rd gear entries. Do not fear bouncing off the rev limiter. Do not fear clutch kicking through your firewall. Do not fear embarrassment for sucking on the track. You need to learn to take full advantage of ALL ~120whp in order to drift, there is no room for error and no room for pussies. Once you learn to make the most out of every ounce of torque and are able to do it consistently you will be ready to begin to add more expensive parts in order to gain more power.

DO NOT listen to all these fanboys telling you to swap or spend hundred if not thousands of dollars to turbo the engine. If your goal is to learn and perfect the tecnique of drift then you need to look no further because you have the perfect beginers engine sitting in your car. If your goal is to impress posers are carmeets or be an internet tough guy with big $$$ dumped into a car that will never see real track use.... by all means waste your money and time.

It has been proven time and time again that a stock KA is a GREAT platform to start with and the cheapest drift car to fund PERIOD.

I'm MORE than willing to help anyone with what i know if they are motivated to drift. If you have questions feel free to contact me.

Eric Castro and Jorge Castro drifting n/a ka tandems. Someday it WILL happen and it WILL be sweet hahaha.

Examples:

Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #69
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickstatus View Post
we can do that for her for free hasan. stop trying to hustle my cousin lolol

haha to late she is coming over on friday she rather pay and have it done right =P
Old 12-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #70
Jacob'S13
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
Jacob'S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag View Post
I forgot to add one more piece of advice. It was given to me by a good friend of mine.

Learn as much as you can with a stock ka, it doesn't matter if it has one or two cams. Do not fear 3rd gear entries. Do not fear bouncing off the rev limiter. Do not fear clutch kicking through your firewall. Do not fear embarrassment for sucking on the track. You need to learn to take full advantage of ALL ~120whp in order to drift, there is no room for error and no room for pussies. Once you learn to make the most out of every ounce of torque and are able to do it consistently you will be ready to begin to add more expensive parts in order to gain more power.

DO NOT listen to all these fanboys telling you to swap or spend hundred if not thousands of dollars to turbo the engine. If your goal is to learn and perfect the tecnique of drift then you need to look no further because you have the perfect beginers engine sitting in your car. If your goal is to impress posers are carmeets or be an internet tough guy with big $$$ dumped into a car that will never see real track use.... by all means waste your money and time.

It has been proven time and time again that a stock KA is a GREAT platform to start with and the cheapest drift car to fund PERIOD.

I'm MORE than willing to help anyone with what i know if they are motivated to drift. If you have questions feel free to contact me.

Eric Castro and Jorge Castro drifting n/a ka tandems. Someday it WILL happen and it WILL be sweet hahaha.
hands down the best answer here.. i learned drifting in a AE85 SR5. got consistent with it then moved up to a GT-S. then moved up to a 240sx SR20

just all in your technique, and if you can drift a less hp car. imagine how easy it is to swing around a power drift car.

besides look at it this way... keiichi tsuchiya learn in a under power 86 corolla.
Jacob'S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #71
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
......i slide at 6-6500 in my sohc, my 3" exhaust does just fine
This is possibly the funniest thing I have heard in a long time
Old 12-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #72
Jacob'S13
BANNED

Jacob'S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walperstyle View Post
This is possibly the funniest thing I have heard in a long time
his a gangsta leave him alone lol.
Jacob'S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #73
Rag
Zilvia Member

I stay at 5-7k most of the time and i have a 3" exhaust, your null point is?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #74
LadyJdm

Quote:
Hi Lilly

Sorry I didn't realize it was you who started this thread.

1. Make sure the motor is running in tip top shape

2. Lots of track time to get a feel for the stock motor

3. Turbo that bitch through Jonathan after you get to know the car. By far the most bang for the buck for torque
thanx norm for the advice! i will see to it i will have a feel on this car more and learn the rights and wrongs about it also ^__^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag

and yet again rag u don't surpirse me and your elderly wisdom of drifting<3

and for sure i will learn about my car more, it is basiclly still stock and i love it! it gets me places and turns heads as well hehe<3

In my opinion i like the single cam better, couple of my friends have dual cam but i dont really feel the difference besides the rpms go higher of course

but i also have another question, my clutch is going out, and im wondering bout a new clutch? which is better for the buck?

i already have a excedy stage 1 clutch but of course its time to change it before i go on the track and mess around with it and blow it some how lol
Old 12-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #75
Rag
Zilvia Member

I have a stock replacement exedy clutch and pressure plate, it does teh job quite well for the abuse i give it. In terms of cheap yet effective any reputable and tested/proven brand stock replacement clutch will do. The same goes for a stage 1 if you are looking for a bit more "bite" and/or pedal feel. I always recommend a sprung clutchplate over unsprung.

Research the "white bunny" clutch/flywheel/pressureplate setup. IIRC it is a decent improvement over stock clamping force by increasing the contact patch of the clutch. It's mainly composed of stock parts IIRC and will not break the bank. I have read it will also retain the stock pedal feel so daily driving will not be affected in the least. Hopefully someone with real word experience about this setup will chime in.

Consider doing the throwout bearing and pilot bushing while you're down there.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #76
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
S13 curtis is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
oh gawd dude, just stop.
Several of us with experience here have stated what your saying isnt true.
just stop.
Ive worked on Ka-t's and rode in them so dont get my age confued with what i do. it is more wise for her to boost it after she gets a feel for it, and a NA ka dosent make more torque than a SR maybe u didnt see where i put that. it only makes more torque vs a na sr
S13 curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #77
LadyJdm

yeah i know someday i will turbo my ka, cause i want to see what a real monster can be, and just to see what my car goes tho it will be a fun experience with this s13<3

and yes! i hope someone on here that has experience with the "white bunny"
can give me a good idea how to start it as well put them in right and find the right combinations with the products.

AND THANK YOU GUYS FOR NOT TELLING ME TO GO ON FORUMS AND FIGURE OUT MYSELF, I LIKE ASKING PERSONAL QUESTIONS FOR ME, I LEARN BETTER THAT WAY, AND I DONT REALLY CARE IF I GET PUT ON THE SPOT FOR IT, CAUSE IT DOESNT HURT TO ASK A QUESTION, EXSPECIALLY IF ANOTHER PERSON IS ASKING THE SAME QUESTION, OR U CAN ALWAYS BURN SOMEONE THAT DOESNT KNOW WHAT THERE TALKING BOUT ^____________^ HEHE<3

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #78
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
but i also have another question, my clutch is going out, and im wondering bout a new clutch? which is better for the buck?
if you're adamant on staying stock for a while
then I'd recommend the OEM Nissan, from the dealer, clutch
price is right and over many clutch jobs I've been involved in,
it still works the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag View Post
Research the "white bunny" clutch/flywheel/pressureplate setup. IIRC it is a decent improvement over stock clamping force by increasing the contact patch of the clutch. It's mainly composed of stock parts IIRC and will not break the bank. I have read it will also retain the stock pedal feel so daily driving will not be affected in the least. Hopefully someone with real word experience about this setup will chime in.
I already chimmed in early in this thread.
I have the set up on my S14
D21 flywheel and Exedy OEM clutch
search my posts about it for the details

but again, its a set up that retains OEM feel and lets you hold more torque, ideal for KA-T
in your case you don't seem to need it
my advice, again, is to stay stock for the time being

Quote:
Consider doing the throwout bearing and pilot bushing while you're down there.
This is a given on any clutch job.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #79
ericcastro
Post Whore!

ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
I would just go with a stock clutch as well.
I put a autozone clutch in at the track 2 years ago and it is still holding up.
I do over 1 event everymonth as well.
And kick the shit out of the clutch and bounce the rev limiter.
So if you wanna save a few bucks, just get a regular clutch since the cars not getting any big HP numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
Are you saying that the single cam is better than the twin KA cam for going NA?
Yes, from everything I have heard and read.
It may have changed in the last couple years, idk.
So maybe i am wrong.
But from my understanding it has to do with having more real race parts for NA build.
(And that happened because alot of race series wouldnt let the DOHC version in.)
They have a higher compression.
(you can swap sohc's pistons into a dohc bottom but still dont match the sohc numbers)
SOHC engines breath much better.
(mainly the head)

If you pull up old drag race forum threads, you can get alot of really good knowledge on all motor KA builds.
Plus, back in the early 2000's, a lot more people were doing N/A KA builds.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #80
ManoNegra

ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Quote:
Yes, from everything I have heard and read.
It may have changed in the last couple years, idk.
So maybe i am wrong.
But from my understanding it has to do with having more real race parts for NA build.
(And that happened because alot of race series wouldnt let the DOHC version in.)
From what I have heard, due to the restrictions on 4 valve motors
it made more sense to develop the 3 valve SOHC KA

Quote:
They have a higher compression.
(you can swap sohc's pistons into a dohc bottom but still dont match the sohc numbers)
I don't know about the numbers
but I've had SOHC KA and so have friends
I've ridden in a couple of DOHC KA with SOHC pistons and 248 intake/exhaust cams
and their is no comparison
for a cheap build, daily driver, cali smog nazi friendly, inconspicuous set up the latter is the way to go

we're not far from you Eric
when we get my friends car running again (spun bearing)
maybe you can come and take a ride in it and see for yourself?

Quote:
SOHC engines breath much better.
(mainly the head)
I hear they're both very capable
and that head flow isn't a limiting factor in KA NA power

Quote:
If you pull up old drag race forum threads, you can get alot of really good knowledge on all motor KA builds.
Plus, back in the early 2000's, a lot more people were doing N/A KA builds.
These are the sources I base my info on:
one has been a head builder going back to the 70s
and worked on various of the early Datsun racing ventures
worked for TRD
worked for Nismo during the GT3 KA development
his name is Rick Kemph and has his shop in San Pedro
B-Line Racing is across from him, Giancarlo - the development director of B-Line, owns a tube-framed SOHC KA powered GT3 240sx

you're correct in that it's easier to build a non-streetable SOHC KA than it is to build a DOHC
SOHC is legacy and has been fully optimized through the last 20 years
the parts/knowledge exists if you know where to look and got $$$$
but both Rick and Giancarlo agree that the DOHC is a much better platform to build from, you will need to the leg work though.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:59 AM   #81
SochBAT
Post Whore!

SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
SOHCs are always frowned upon.

I hate that because everyone is so quick to judge and hate. Retards forget it was Nissan's flagship motor back when.

Beat the shit outta that motor. Go balls deep!
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #82
LadyJdm

hehe fo shure!<3

and yeah i drove my friends s13 and its all stock compared to mine, but i love the way his clutch feels, mine is hard and u have to be ruff with it, and the stock u just go how u want to go. and to like u all say, you can save money $$$!

And when i get my motor in tip-top shape again by next month and buying new tires im going to start learning more about my car and driving it ^_______^

i hope i get to see u guys on the road!!!!<3<3<3
Old 12-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #83
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Quote:
hehe fo shure!<3

and yeah i drove my friends s13 and its all stock compared to mine, but i love the way his clutch feels, mine is hard and u have to be ruff with it, and the stock u just go how u want to go. and to like u all say, you can save money $$$!

And when i get my motor in tip-top shape again by next month and buying new tires im going to start learning more about my car and driving it ^_______^

i hope i get to see u guys on the road!!!!<3<3<3
TRUST me, you don't wanna see some of these guys out there haha

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #84
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Easy improvement in torque = roots blower
Black R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:30 AM   #85
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
talk shit all you want, it works fine for me.
shiftdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #86
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdm180sx View Post
TRUST me, you don't wanna see some of these guys out there haha
LMAO,

lol, thats great! lol

Hey ManoNegra,
I would love to check that out! just PM me and i will come out when its all together.
I need more power than a NA build is gonna get me at this point but talking about it reminds me of building NA 510's and I am getting all excited.
I absolutely love the sound and power of small NA cars. nothing like it.
Maybe imma have to buy a 510 to daily so i can build a peppy NA KA with ITBs and headers. (guessing thats a 8 HP gain total, lol)
Old 12-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #87
junn
Zilvia Addict

junn is an unknown quantity at this point
ls1=torque

easy as that
Old 12-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #88
Hashiriya415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Hashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
nitrous oxide system?
Hashiriya415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #89
ManoNegra

Quote:
LMAO,

lol, thats great! lol

Hey ManoNegra,
I would love to check that out! just PM me and i will come out when its all together.
I need more power than a NA build is gonna get me at this point but talking about it reminds me of building NA 510's and I am getting all excited.
I absolutely love the sound and power of small NA cars. nothing like it.
Maybe imma have to buy a 510 to daily so i can build a peppy NA KA with ITBs and headers. (guessing thats a 8 HP gain total, lol)
We'll do
we're in the process of putting it back together
should be done in a few days
so possible after the holidays break since my friend is going to drive it
to Arizona again (yeah, he doesn't learn)
Dave (drift freak) stopped by for a bit and he's also a an old school 510/Datsun guy
all this Datsun talk makes me want to get a 240z
Old 12-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #90
jamg
Nissanaholic!

jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
torque = force x lever arm
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote