Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #121
Shift n Drift
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Shift n Drift has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i wouldnt really bother rebuilding a motor unless you dont have good compression or if your burning oil, but thats me, do all your upgrades you have in mind and check compression atleast once a month or something like that, ill see if i can find more on the jwt cam and tune, but if i cant, im sure ill see that awesomely sounding single slammer again and ill ask him for you.
Shift n Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #122
LadyJdm
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (4)
LadyJdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
hehe thanx =)

but yeah i wanna rebuild the WHOLE THING, everything will be done, and i'm going to do alot of research with this motor. but i know if i build the single cam it would seem to other people wasting money and time, but i REALLY LOVE my single cam, and i think it can be the little monster people look twice on<3

so if someone tells me again im wasting time on this single cam, this isnt the forum u should be posting on.

i know alot of people here love single cams, so i just wanted to start alittle something with single cams and see really how far they can go, then someone telling me its weak.
LadyJdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #123
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubtastic View Post
Have someone brake torque the engine at 2,500-3000 RPM while you advance(turn) your distributor until you start hearing an unpleasant noise. STOP. Now retard (turn opposite way) just a bit when no cylinder chatter (detonation) is heard. At this point of your ignition timing, you will have the maximum low end torque capable of being produced by your cute little SOHC KA in it's "as is" internal condition.

Awesome "tune up" the Hondas love it too.
That is dumb. A good way to damage your motor in the long run.

To be honest, why is this thread still alive? If this wasn't a girl and someone a few of you know, they would have been flamed into oblivion and told to search.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #124
charlie321
Zilvia Addict

charlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to charlie321 Send a message via MSN to charlie321
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJdm View Post
hehe thanx =)

but yeah i wanna rebuild the WHOLE THING, everything will be done, and i'm going to do alot of research with this motor. but i know if i build the single cam it would seem to other people wasting money and time, but i REALLY LOVE my single cam, and i think it can be the little monster people look twice on<3

so if someone tells me again im wasting time on this single cam, this isnt the forum u should be posting on.

i know alot of people here love single cams, so i just wanted to start alittle something with single cams and see really how far they can go, then someone telling me its weak.
Do what you want, its your car, its your build, make it unique and your own. I've stayed single cam since 06 regardless of what everyone's told me. Its not a waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
To be honest, why is this thread still alive? If this wasn't a girl and someone a few of you know, they would have been flamed into oblivion and told to search.
You answered your own question.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #125
keiglo
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
keiglo is on the path to ruinkeiglo is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just keep doing what you're doing. Like charlie said, its your car. Build it up however you want to, and keep rocking the single slammer! i know i will!
Old 03-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #126
stinky_180
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
stinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stinky_180
rebuilding it would be your best bet. and to the above comment about advancing/retarding the timing is the dumb and dated. dont advance/retard timing via distributor, run base timing and advance or retard via the ecu rom... probably an advance topic for you though.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #127
bones321
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
bones321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bones321
quick question guys i just installed a cam in my car and wanted to know if you need to shim anything, like the vavles and such

It will take me a while to get hard I just got layed last night
bones321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #128
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection

Most KA-Es are seen as "throw away motors" by all the fanbois and toolbags, so it shouldn't be more than like $50 to $100 to pick up a spare block to build up for turbo while you keep the motor in the car in NA form.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #129
LadyJdm

oh well this forum hasnt been closed its a good place to ask random questions, because random questions can lead up to some smart ideas =)

but yeah timing is way off on my car also, because i have a 89 motor but i have a 93 pulley lol but im gonna install the 89 pulley i just bought and see how it goes.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #130
davirene
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
davirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Heres a lil Motivation for u....build your suspension first....then finish off with your motor....
davirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:27 AM   #131
CrazyRob
Zilvia Member

CrazyRob is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CrazyRob
i read the first page. this thread is stupid. figure out your end goal. repost your thread with a more logical and well thought out goal. get on the track to figure your car out. end fucking thread. everyone just stfu.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #132
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
nistune there.. easily 20-25whp with a tune on boltons.
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #133
LadyJdm

Quote:
davirene
damn clean motor! i hope ill end up being turbo by this year, if not atleast all motor will be fine, =)
but well its hard to pick where to start and end honestly =/ i mean everything changes and theres always different and better ideas as u go on. and i think even 2-10 years from now ill still probally be working on my single cam lol<3

but i already have suspension and etc on my car, my car has all the stuts,sway,tow, etc bars u can think of, but all i need now is to build my motor ^__^

but im going to try out the bbp headers and see whats up and info on u guys on them<3
Old 03-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #134
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
GroundPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by davirene View Post

Heres a lil Motivation for u....build your suspension first....then finish off with your motor....
Nice motivation indeed. Although you may considering moving that maf further out of the turbo with a bend preferably. Better IC setup would compliment that Excessive IM. Check out my KA24E-T build here in Zilvia now sold to Charlie321.
GroundPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #135
Shift n Drift
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Shift n Drift has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
here is the jwt cam i was talkin bout Jim Wolf S1 Billet Camshaft KA24e 89-90

hope it helps somebody
Shift n Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #136
LadyJdm

ooo thanx! i was looking for some camshafts also, thanx!!! =)

any little bit helps guys, its hard to find single cam performance parts =p
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #137
LadyJdm

oo i got a question? if u buy pistons what is a good compression ratio for pistons with either building a motor or turbo???

i dont know alot about pistons >_<
Old 03-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #138
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
High compression for all motor build, low compression for turbo build.

Make sure you talk to the engine builders too while you're building these engines, because if the compression is too high for the all motor build, then you won't be able to run pump gas on that motor, which could pose a problem.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #139
stinky_180
Nissanaholic!

stinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by davirene View Post

is that the excessive intake plenum? if so, how do you like? what emissions equipment are you using? ease of install?

what are you running for engine management?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #140
stinky_180
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Make sure you talk to the engine builders too while you're building these engines, because if the compression is too high for the all motor build, then you won't be able to run pump gas on that motor, which could pose a problem.
or you can run the flat top pistons that came out of the VERY EARLY single cams, 9.1:1 compression ratio. it'll be just as reliable as stock with that little extra juice.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #141
Hashiriya415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Hashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
You can run high comp pistons, when you go turbo you will have to use race gas, but it doesn't always mean like everyone says you have to run low comp pistons for turbo, many race cars have around 11:1. But if you are trying to make the most power you can then you want to lower the compression down
Hashiriya415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #142
Antihero983
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Antihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Antihero983 Send a message via MSN to Antihero983
Remove KA-E, Install LS1, Enjoy Torque and reliability.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #143
LadyJdm

hmm wow that was different the way i was thinking bout pistons lol

so lower comp. rate for turbo for the most power?

and higher comp. rate for all motor? got'cha!

and nah i cant be able to do the higher comp. with all motor.. lol my car is a daily driver. i cant spend 10$ on a gallon everyday lolz =p

and do they still sell the higher comp. rate pistons for the earlier single cams, 9.1:1 compression ratio?
i cant find any T__T
Old 03-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #144
keiglo
Leaky Injector

Lower comp rate for turbo for most power is basically right, but i just want to clear it up a bit. The reason you need low comp pistons if you're going turbo is because its forcing more air into each cylinder, so there is more pressure being compressed, which automatically raises compression. So running low comp pistons means that its going to compensate for an increase of compression from having the turbo. If you run high comp pistons on turbo, then you will throw a rod or put holes in pistons because there will be too much pressure/air that is trying to be compressed

The exact opposite is true when you want to run an all motor setup. High compression is wanted because you wont be forcing the air in. This will give a faster and cleaner burn, which will make more power.

As for the pistons, im not to sure. I know that if bore your cylinders, that raises compression. But only VERY slightly. if you bore all cylinders .040", it'll add maybe 0.2 to your compression. With that you'll also increase displacement, but that is also very little, around 2.5L instead of 2.4L. Every little bit counts though if you're going all motor build.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #145
keiglo
Leaky Injector

Actually, boring cylinders does increase compression. Compression ratio is the ratio of the cylinder volume with the piston at BDC divided by the cylinder volume with the piston at TDC. Boring a cylinder increases volume. The volume increases more with the piston at BDC as opposed to being at TDC. When the piston is at deck height, then the volume with the piston at the top of the bore does not increase, but when the piston is at BDC, the volume is larger. This makes compression ratio higher.

again. not by very much.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #146
sparkyS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
sparkyS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
very good discussion
Old 03-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #147
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiglo View Post
Actually, boring cylinders does increase compression. Compression ratio is the ratio of the cylinder volume with the piston at BDC divided by the cylinder volume with the piston at TDC. Boring a cylinder increases volume. The volume increases more with the piston at BDC as opposed to being at TDC. When the piston is at deck height, then the volume with the piston at the top of the bore does not increase, but when the piston is at BDC, the volume is larger. This makes compression ratio higher.

again. not by very much.
Alright.

I retract my previous statement and post.

You are correct indeed.

However, just like you said, compression gained through boring a cylinder bigger will be minuscule, especially on a relatively low displacement 4 cylinder.

Even on something like SBCs, the compression increased through boring a cylinder is pretty small, compared to using heads with smaller combustion chambers instead, like putting the 5.3L truck motors on LS1 motors or something.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #148
keiglo
Leaky Injector

^

exactly, and it costs money to bore cylinders, so unless you have access to the machines to do the work yourself (or just have enough money to spend), the compression wont raise a great amount, so most people dont do this. Its all about how much you want to do, and if you want that little bit more.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #149
LadyJdm

damn that makes much more scene about pistons then, thanx for clearing it up for me keiglo ^__^ but hmm i might bore all cylinders and get that extra power, i mean at least ill be alittle ahead of the game lol
Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 AM   #150
Hashiriya415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Hashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJdm View Post
damn that makes much more scene about pistons then, thanx for clearing it up for me keiglo ^__^ but hmm i might bore all cylinders and get that extra power, i mean at least ill be alittle ahead of the game lol
Extra power by boring 1mm? I would like to really see your dyno #s after.
Don't forget to calculate the extra weight of the piston, and the extra friction of the rings. And boring and honing is expensive?? I charge $60 for 4 cylinder $80 for 6 and $100 for 8.
Hashiriya415 is offline   Reply With Quote