Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #31
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Can't wait to see what they're like on the track.

I had Nismo mounts as well. I like them too, but since I have the hump on my valve cover, they made my engine sit too high for a strut bar.

My engine sits about 1/2" lower now.

My YouTube Channel
xpertsnowcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #32
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how do these compare to cuscos?

I have cusco engine mounts (they look like nismos but alot stiffer) and peak performance race tranny mount.

I seriously track my car but i do drive it on the road as well (for now)... On track its a pleasure to drive and in fact I wish it was even stiffer but the cuscos do vibrate like a m@#*( f*(@#.... does get annoying... Are they softer than cuscos or stiffer than cuscos but somehow more absorbant/less vibrating? Curious... if that's even possible. Motor is a KA
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #33
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Seriously there are so many mounts out there.... You just have to try it, but by far I like them way better than nismo's and reduce a lot of engine vibration...

Hey carver: don't forget to heatshield wrap them to protect the mounts......
Old 05-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #34
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
how do these compare to cuscos?

I have cusco engine mounts (they look like nismos but alot stiffer) and peak performance race tranny mount.

I seriously track my car but i do drive it on the road as well (for now)... On track its a pleasure to drive and in fact I wish it was even stiffer but the cuscos do vibrate like a m@#*( f*(@#.... does get annoying... Are they softer than cuscos or stiffer than cuscos but somehow more absorbant/less vibrating? Curious... if that's even possible. Motor is a KA
Several years ago, I had a guy who drifts actually swap out a set of Cusco's for this very reason. He was pretty happy.

Oh and Xpertcarver, that heat shield is looking nice.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #35
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Hey carver: don't forget to heatshield wrap them to protect the mounts......
The small cover I made wouldn't be enough? Damn, alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
Oh and Xpertcarver, that heat shield is looking nice.

My YouTube Channel
Old 05-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #36
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Nah, that is more reflective and will reflect some heat, but heat wrapping is something that will reflect and absorb passing heat into the material, therefore no transfer.... Heatshield material like the really good stuff, is really really good.... But yours look nice though....
Old 05-05-2010, 06:11 AM   #37
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Heatshield is a definite must for these...Dave, remember those other mounts from that guy a while back? Had that shit in my car for about 8 months...needless to say, I melted them. I keep forgetting to take pictures of the outcome...

I'll never figured out how they got cooked tho. I have a top mount turbo and nothings close enough to cook the mounts. Then again, even the cold side of the engine, the mount was fubar'd too.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #38
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Heatshield is a definite must for these...Dave, remember those other mounts from that guy a while back? Had that shit in my car for about 8 months...needless to say, I melted them. I keep forgetting to take pictures of the outcome...

I'll never figured out how they got cooked tho. I have a top mount turbo and nothings close enough to cook the mounts. Then again, even the cold side of the engine, the mount was fubar'd too.
Ya that guy that was advertising on ebay and then came here. We had a whole discussion about the mount design. I never got a set of his mounts in my hands to check them out. They looked good though.
They melted on you? Wow.

Well I am glad to say I never saw a super melt problem with mine. Though like I have said on the exhaust/turbo side some kind of shielding is highly recommended.

High heat definitely affects Urethane, any kind of Urethane.

If I was to start offering heat shields again? The price would definitely rise and I am not sure the buying public in this current economy would like that. LOL

Hence my strong recommendation that a person either A: uses the factory one or B: figures out their own. At least along the like of xpertsnowcarvers idea.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #39
fcdrifter20
Post Whore!

fcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
Ya that guy that was advertising on ebay and then came here. We had a whole discussion about the mount design. I never got a set of his mounts in my hands to check them out. They looked good though.
They melted on you? Wow.

Well I am glad to say I never saw a super melt problem with mine. Though like I have said on the exhaust/turbo side some kind of shielding is highly recommended.

High heat definitely affects Urethane, any kind of Urethane.

If I was to start offering heat shields again? The price would definitely rise and I am not sure the buying public in this current economy would like that. LOL

Hence my strong recommendation that a person either A: uses the factory one or B: figures out their own. At least along the like of xpertsnowcarvers idea.

Dave im going to need a set of these soon. My Car should be running by ASB so i will hit you up then.
fcdrifter20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #40
slider2828
Post Whore!

Hey Expert, you need a shield to cover both sides.... Track temperatures can exceed 100* F easily even if ambients at 80*.... so shield both sides not just the top....
Old 05-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #41
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

I didn't even think about that. Thank you.

My YouTube Channel
Old 05-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #42
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Hey Expert, you need a shield to cover both sides.... Track temperatures can exceed 100* F easily even if ambients at 80*.... so shield both sides not just the top....
On a turbo car the heatshields are VERY important, but on an N/A car it's not that much of a concern. I didn't even run any heatshield at all on mine on my KA, no problems for almost 2 years. Xpert's shield looks just fine to me.

Now, as for the nismo vs drift freaq vs cusco/etc... discussion. As far as comfort the driftfreaq mounts at least match and likely exceed the nismo mounts. As for the cusco's, get ready to replace some dental fillings. The nismo mounts for sure sit the engine at least 1/2" higher. With my KA and the drift freaq mounts my oil pan was dead even with the edge of the crossmember. With my nismo mounts it sat waaaaayyyyyy above the crossmember.

I also see a lot of people in this thread referring to the driftfreaq mounts as "solid mounts". These are in no way solid mounts. They are actual isolated molded urethane mounts. They aren't the typical urethane that's almost as hard as plastic either.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #43
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
So where are those pictures of the oil pan height compared to the sway bar height?
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #44
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Well, not melted melted but bubbled and started seperating...

Turbo side:

Intake side: started splitting all around

I had the stock heat shield on the turbo side and it still managed to do that.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #45
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Quote:

Turbo side:

Wow that is crazy Ray.

I have never seen any of my product bubble apart like that. I would think that that would be due to an inferior product from a chemical component basis.

In fact high durometer, high quality urethane will malform when its excessively heated, but will not bubble apart or disintegrate like you have pictured at current engine/bay temps.

Like I just mentioned it causes me to think that their product is not a clean high quality Urethane. Its possibly diluted with inferior components.

Heh it also makes me glad my product is Yellow and will always be Yellow and the bolts are offset. No mistaking it from inferior products. LOL

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #46
Ceepo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
Ceepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Aw, you say yellow and always be yellow, i was gonna see if you could make a set of red ones, oh oh oh do red and yellow zebra strips!!!!!!
Ceepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #47
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
So where are those pictures of the oil pan height compared to the sway bar height?
I'll get some pics this weekend.... just been outta town... also I think the turbo heatshields point heat downwards... I personally run without any heat shields....
Old 05-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #48
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Dave, just curious what the issue was with Mel's mounts. He had mentioned the passenger side had failed on him. Was it simply a poor batch?

I'm glad Joel (carver) picked up a set as I'd really like to see how they perform for him and get a detailed review on these.

Due to Mel's issue I've been on the fence.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #49
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Tried installing a DC Sports front Strut bar over the hump on the valve cover.... still doesn't fit. :\

Hoping to race Memorial Day weekend, but still working on the car. Not sure if I'll have it ready by then..

My YouTube Channel
Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #50
slider2828
Post Whore!

Hey xpert, did you rotate the mounts till it was flush on both sides? It helped me engine settle a little better. but its looking good!
Old 05-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #51
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:

Turbo side:

Those are for almost positive not made of urethane at all. That looks like regular old plastic to me. Urethane doesn't melt and bubble like that, at least not at the kind of temps that those mounts see. I've never seen urethane crack like that, it just tears. What a ripoff...
Old 05-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #52
lou's40sx
BANNED

lou's40sx is an unknown quantity at this point
You get what you pay for. Nismo mounts are $150-180. OEM NIssan mounts are like $200. Which is weird, OEM costing more than Nismo but as I tell people, Nismo is just spray painted silver and slap a logo on OEM parts. $20 bucks = Pressure treated redwood with Dap 3.0 or Silicone 2 at homedepot would probably out perform all. =)

I think it could be designed/engineered better, but that would cost more money.
For under $100 these Urethane mounts are decent.

This design is a little better: An aluminum coupler enclosed housing.
http://www.nexternal.com/bimmerworl/...unt,%20300.jpg

Last edited by lou's40sx; 05-08-2010 at 10:09 PM..
lou's40sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #53
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
Dave, just curious what the issue was with Mel's mounts. He had mentioned the passenger side had failed on him. Was it simply a poor batch?

I'm glad Joel (carver) picked up a set as I'd really like to see how they perform for him and get a detailed review on these.

Due to Mel's issue I've been on the fence.
Jimmy Mels mounts were from the previous generation which had a problem that was corrected hence the redesign. besides the fact that I warrantied it because it happened almost immediately. Steps were taken to correct the issue and we have not had further problems. Also Mels issue was 1 in hundreds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou's40sx View Post
You get what you pay for. Nismo mounts are $150-180. OEM NIssan mounts are like $200. Which is weird, OEM costing more than Nismo but as I tell people, Nismo is just spray painted silver and slap a logo on OEM parts.

With these urethane mounts I am not too confident on using them on my car. Due to the fact that they do not have a metal perimeter to keep them from splitting. I think it could be designed/engineered better, but that would cost more money.

$20 bucks = Pressure treated redwood with Dap 3.0 or Silicone 2 at homedepot would probably out perform all. =)

Lou you do not know of what you speak of. The metal perimemter is indeed there embedded in the Urethane.

Plus your home depot product you talk of is infact inferior quality urethane.

Please refrain from commenting as I know you lack the technical knowledge of this product to be even opening your mouth.

Oh and to make aluminum enclosures for the mounts would drive the price up drastically. Again this is the world of 240's and you should know as well that people will not pay for it.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #54
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
You get what you pay for. Nismo mounts are $150-180. OEM NIssan mounts are like $200. Which is weird, OEM costing more than Nismo but as I tell people, Nismo is just spray painted silver and slap a logo on OEM parts.

With these urethane mounts I am not too confident on using them on my car. Due to the fact that they do not have a metal perimeter to keep them from splitting. I think it could be designed/engineered better, but that would cost more money.

$20 bucks = Pressure treated redwood with Dap 3.0 or Silicone 2 at homedepot would probably out perform all. =)

Just to start, those mounts that you posted are the same design as Dave's. Those pretty blue things are not bonded into the mount itself from the looks of it. I have seen urethane BMW mounts that are totally designed way better, but they're like $400 for a pair. Also if you are trying to use the price of those mounts to compare to the price of Dave's then you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Those are BMW trans mounts which are MUCH smaller then 240 engine mounts.

I am positive that you could build nothing at home depot that would compare to these mounts. You're just talking shit for the hell of it there and i know that for a FACT...

It's funny how you say that Dave's mounts would be great for under $100 when the price is only like $20 more than $100. What a cheap ass... They outperform nismo mounts and cost less and you wanna bitch about $20???

Old 05-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #55
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Quote:
Hey xpert, did you rotate the mounts till it was flush on both sides? It helped me engine settle a little better. but its looking good!
Yes I did. So, like springs, if I gave it some time, they will settle a little more?

My YouTube Channel
Old 05-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #56
lou's40sx
BANNED

lou's40sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Nismo:
"You get what you pay for. Nismo mounts are $150-180. OEM NIssan mounts are like $200. Which is weird, OEM costing more than Nismo but as I tell people, Nismo is just spray painted silver and slap a logo on OEM parts.

$20 bucks = Pressure treated redwood with Dap 3.0 or Silicone 2 at homedepot would probably out perform all. =) (This is referrence to overpriced Nismo, which I really don't like their rebranded stuff, I am one of the last person to praise Nismo).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These Drft Freaq custom mounts:
I think it could be designed/engineered better, but that would cost more money.For under $100 these Urethane mounts are decent. "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My words didn't come out as I was thinking. Random babbling and the orders of things weren't in the correct order. Above is how it should have gone.

Like I know and said, these are decent for the money. Which isn't $300 for mounts that work. And my idea of aluminum coupler would add about $150 to the price. Again, many of these mounts have been used as well as the design in BMWs. BMW owners don't really buy cheap stuff, so these style of mounts has to be quite decent.

And you're dealing with Driftfreaq which is a plus, and he is a buddy of mine as well as racepar and they do some serious track techs.
lou's40sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #57
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertsnowcarver View Post
Yes I did. So, like springs, if I gave it some time, they will settle a little more?
i think so but i habe yet to see
Old 05-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #58
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Eh, they were free, guy sent them to me to make a review out of it. Only gripe I got now is that I took these off, tossed in my old URAS ones and my engine sat lower into the engine bay by a good inch or so and shifted the engine a bit. When it did that, caused my damn external wastegate dumptube to sit against the frame. Needless to say, after about a week or 2 of that happening, my HKS manifold is cracked and splitted at the collector. Now I need a new top mount manifold and wastegate...hooray for free engine mounts!!!

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 05-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #59
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Nismo:
"You get what you pay for. Nismo mounts are $150-180. OEM NIssan mounts are like $200. Which is weird, OEM costing more than Nismo but as I tell people, Nismo is just spray painted silver and slap a logo on OEM parts.

$20 bucks = Pressure treated redwood with Dap 3.0 or Silicone 2 at homedepot would probably out perform all. =) (This is referrence to overpriced Nismo, which I really don't like their rebranded stuff, I am one of the last person to praise Nismo).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These Drft Freaq custom mounts:
I think it could be designed/engineered better, but that would cost more money.For under $100 these Urethane mounts are decent. "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My words didn't come out as I was thinking. Random babbling and the orders of things weren't in the correct order. Above is how it should have gone.

Like I know and said, these are decent for the money. Which isn't $300 for mounts that work. And my idea of aluminum coupler would add about $150 to the price. Again, many of these mounts have been used as well as the design in BMWs. BMW owners don't really buy cheap stuff, so these style of mounts has to be quite decent.

And you're dealing with Driftfreaq which is a plus, and he is a buddy of mine as well as racepar and they do some serious track techs.
LOL! Don't lie man. You said it exactly as you thought it. That's why it came out harsher then you really wanted it to. We all know you're an asshole, hell I know as good as anyone cause I'm one too! LOL!

Old 05-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #60
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Dave... Make me a tranny mount too dude. Not sure how bad the exhaust heat would be on that, but I'd like a matching tranny mount.

My YouTube Channel