Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
How long does your daily driven LSD last? Rebuild questions.

Just wondering how long I can expect my 2-way Cusco RS lsd to last. I bought it used with 9k and put maybe 6k on it driving around town. I change the oil every 3k with Redline 75w90 diff fluid and put 3/4 of a bottle of ford friction lsd modifier to help with chatter.

Im worried daily driving will just wear it out and I will have to rebuild it soon. Thinking about selling it for a r33 vlsd.

How do you know the clutch plates need to be replaced in an lsd? Does it start to slip like a worn out clutch would?

If I do eventually need a rebuild does anyone know where I could get replacement plates and how much they cost? I searched around and could only find info on the lsd itself.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
slow40sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
slow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slow40sx
2-ways can handle hell and more, ur supposed to change the oil every 8k miles i think so if ur doing it every 3k miles and ur only daily driving it i'm pretty sure urs will be good for quite some time, and VLSD = the biggest piece of shit on earth
Old 01-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
udon!
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
udon! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^ lol @ vlsd part.

ive heard that 2-way lsd's pretty much dont ever need a rebuild unless a meteor hits it
udon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
az_240
Post Whore!

az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
^I had a used cusco MZ before this one and it only lasted a few thousand miles... I think the bearings were bad or someone installed it wrong since it would whine and clunk a lot more than this one.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
BlitzRPS13
Zilvia Member

BlitzRPS13 has a little shameless behavior in the past
I think it should last you quite a while... changing the fluid is key.
BlitzRPS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
if you drift it then changing diff oil every 3k doesnt sound like a bad idea, I think it's excessive. I run amsoil fluid, I will probably change it out in 6 more months. I daily drive a Kaaz 2 way.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
TURBOMAN
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
TURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
damn i have Drift my Daily for two years with a Welded, and change the oil about every 6 months.. no problem still engages LOL
TURBOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #8
dongoesby
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
dongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman View Post
damn i have drift my daily for two years with a welded, and change the oil about every 6 months.. No problem still engages lol

wtffff....

I DD my 1.5 Nismo for almost 3 years now, I know they aren't built for street, so change fluid often is the key like above said. And don't expect it lasts like factory vlsd, or s15 hlsd.
dongoesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
TURBOMAN
Leaky Injector

TURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongoesby View Post
wtffff....

I DD my 1.5 Nismo for almost 3 years now, I know they aren't built for street, so change fluid often is the key like above said. And don't expect it lasts like factory vlsd, or s15 hlsd.
it means is hasn't Broken in the past two years of abuse.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #10
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOMAN View Post
damn i have Drift my Daily for two years with a Welded, and change the oil about every 6 months.. no problem still engages LOL
um... it's welded dude, it's ALWAYS ENGAGED.

welded do not apply here.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #11
dongoesby
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
dongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
it means is hasn't Broken in the past two years of abuse.
jezz, get the hell oute of here, u don't know how to break in a lsd because u ain't got one.

welded is not a lsd mate.
dongoesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #12
TURBOMAN
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongoesby View Post
jezz, get the hell oute of here, u don't know how to break in a lsd because u ain't got one.

welded is not a lsd mate.
You do figure 8.
for the ppl saying welded is not a lsd well no shit. plus i think is better bc if it breaks you are 75bucks in the Hole not 500.
I have Drift with both set up, lsd and welded,
welded is easier to initiated and keep it going.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:00 AM   #13
VQMaxFan
Zilvia Junkie

VQMaxFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You do figure 8.
for the ppl saying welded is not a lsd well no shit. plus i think is better bc if it breaks you are 75bucks in the Hole not 500.
I have Drift with both set up, lsd and welded,
welded is easier to initiated and keep it going.
Not everyone drifts their 240sx....
VQMaxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #14
RightWheelDrive
Zilvia Member

RightWheelDrive is on a distinguished road
I put 30+K on my ATS 2-way and it is worn out. Changed the oil every 6k miles. Its pretty obvious if it is worn as it will start feeling like a vlsd. I noticed it engaged less aggressively as the miles went on.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:14 AM   #15
lightsource
Zilvia FREAK!

lightsource is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to lightsource
Quote:
Originally Posted by VQMaxFan View Post
Not everyone drifts their 240sx....
YES THEY DO!

JUST TAKE CARE OF IT!!!

Every 3K miles if you don't mind replacing the fluid that often, I'm satisfied with my VLSD and lazyness.
lightsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #16
az_240
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightWheelDrive View Post
I put 30+K on my ATS 2-way and it is worn out. Changed the oil every 6k miles. Its pretty obvious if it is worn as it will start feeling like a vlsd. I noticed it engaged less aggressively as the miles went on.

This is more the answer I was looking for... 30k makes sense. Did you end up rebuilding it?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #17
Teknolust72
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
Teknolust72 is a splendid one to beholdTeknolust72 is a splendid one to beholdTeknolust72 is a splendid one to beholdTeknolust72 is a splendid one to beholdTeknolust72 is a splendid one to beholdTeknolust72 is a splendid one to beholdTeknolust72 is a splendid one to beholdTeknolust72 is a splendid one to beholdTeknolust72 is a splendid one to beholdTeknolust72 is a splendid one to beholdTeknolust72 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
The only clutch-type LSD that never needs to be rebuilt is OS Giken. Even the fluid change interval is higher - around 12000 miles. OS Giken LSDs are the BEST hands down.

Everything else is second rate. However Cusco and Nismo require less "maintenance" than Kaaz, Tomei and ATS.

2 way LSDs will wear out faster than 1.5 way, and 1.5 way wears out faster than 1-way. LSDs with high initial torque will wear out faster when daily driven. LSDs with non-progressive lock up will wear out clutch disks prematurely. So when you hear that clunking out of your LSD (which is not "JDM cool"), your clutch packs are not engaging and disengaging smoothly, and causing hot spots on the clutch discs.

ALSO, all those Carbon LSDs are total crap and they love exploding.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #18
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
how many liters of fluid are suppose to go into a diff. I know pretty much an entire tin of tomei fluid but what if i buy that shit in bulk?
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #19
Ali 556
Zilvia Junkie

Ali 556 is a well-known jackass
ok,

I have worned out ATS (also called carbonetic 1.5 way lsd) in less than 2 k miles,

and it's the one with carbon clutches not steel.....no I've been looking around for a rebuild kit and i can't find it...?

Any one knows anything to help me?
Old 01-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #20
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX88 View Post
how many liters of fluid are suppose to go into a diff. I know pretty much an entire tin of tomei fluid but what if i buy that shit in bulk?
2quarts/Liters
Old 01-26-2010, 01:37 AM   #21
az_240
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknolust72 View Post
The only clutch-type LSD that never needs to be rebuilt is OS Giken. Even the fluid change interval is higher - around 12000 miles. OS Giken LSDs are the BEST hands down.

Everything else is second rate. However Cusco and Nismo require less "maintenance" than Kaaz, Tomei and ATS.

2 way LSDs will wear out faster than 1.5 way, and 1.5 way wears out faster than 1-way. LSDs with high initial torque will wear out faster when daily driven. LSDs with non-progressive lock up will wear out clutch disks prematurely. So when you hear that clunking out of your LSD (which is not "JDM cool"), your clutch packs are not engaging and disengaging smoothly, and causing hot spots on the clutch discs.

ALSO, all those Carbon LSDs are total crap and they love exploding.
OS Giken.. dont see many of those lsd's. I decided to sell my cusco lsd just because I dont really use it for what its intended for and I need money really bad... I may get another one in the future... or possibly the new quieter kaaz.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:29 AM   #22
RightWheelDrive
Zilvia Member

RightWheelDrive is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
This is more the answer I was looking for... 30k makes sense. Did you end up rebuilding it?
I haven't rebuilt it yet. It's on my summer to do list.

As for the friction modifier, using 3/4ths of the bottle sounds like too much. I only used a 1/4th per oil change and it reduced the clunking enough to not be annoying. Using too much will cause excessive slip and premature wear.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #23
Ali 556
Zilvia Junkie

Ali 556 is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali 556 View Post
ok,

I have worned out ATS (also called carbonetic 1.5 way lsd) in less than 2 k miles,

and it's the one with carbon clutches not steel.....no I've been looking around for a rebuild kit and i can't find it...?

Any one knows anything to help me?

bump?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #24
az_240
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightWheelDrive View Post
I haven't rebuilt it yet. It's on my summer to do list.

As for the friction modifier, using 3/4ths of the bottle sounds like too much. I only used a 1/4th per oil change and it reduced the clunking enough to not be annoying. Using too much will cause excessive slip and premature wear.
It says to pour the entire bottle in on the instructions. I use between 1/2 and 3/4 and I still get some chatter through turns.

I wonder where to get rebuild kits myself.... Try getting in contact with ATS
Old 01-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #25
karl wasabi
Post Whore!

karl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to karl wasabi
I've had my Tomei 2-way for like 3 years now and it still grabs strong. I change the fluid like once a year. LOL.
karl wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #26
lightsource
Zilvia FREAK!

lightsource is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to lightsource
Does anyone do VLSD rebuilds?
lightsource is offline   Reply With Quote