Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #631
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
nice houses there! just paid mine off an got several offers from the "quick" buyers....wife is interested but i dont want to pay these insane prices to get into another reasonable house...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2021, 10:59 AM   #632
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I closed on this house in 2009 on an FHA loan at 93.9k

Three people who I KNOW see this thread have been inside of the house.

With aggressive overpayment, I owe about 57k right now. I listed it ?coming soon? on July 30 for 117k. The following Tuesday, I had an offer for 130k.
Note: my morning run COULD take me all the way downtown of the third largest city in my state and 68th in the nation if not for the fact that the last half mile would be lined with crackheads and street walkers (note: I grew up in THAT neighborhood).
I accepted the 130.

Given that I moved into this house single while making a whole $20k LESS a year than I do now ? and my current wife makes more than me ? the $70k we?re about to clear will put us in position for something bigger and better?

BUT

The fact that we are two weeks from getting 130k for a house that had dipped to 75 JUST three year ago suggests a level of motherfucking insanity in the market right now. Like to the point where we will be able to easily afford whatever we move into, but can?t promise that this rally in the value will hold.
On top of that, NOTHING lasts more than a week in this damned market.

What I CAN say, though, is that the longer this shit drags out the better my credit score coming into it is.

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:59 AM   #633
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
I closed on this house in 2009 on an FHA loan at 93.9k

Three people who I KNOW see this thread have been inside of the house.

With aggressive overpayment, I owe about 57k right now. I listed it ?coming soon? on July 30 for 117k. The following Tuesday, I had an offer for 130k.
Note: my morning run COULD take me all the way downtown of the third largest city in my state and 68th in the nation if not for the fact that the last half mile would be lined with crackheads and street walkers (note: I grew up in THAT neighborhood).
I accepted the 130.

Given that I moved into this house single while making a whole $20k LESS a year than I do now ? and my current wife makes more than me ? the $70k we?re about to clear will put us in position for something bigger and better?

BUT

The fact that we are two weeks from getting 130k for a house that had dipped to 75 JUST three year ago suggests a level of motherfucking insanity in the market right now. Like to the point where we will be able to easily afford whatever we move into, but can?t promise that this rally in the value will hold.
On top of that, NOTHING lasts more than a week in this damned market.

What I CAN say, though, is that the longer this shit drags out the better my credit score coming into it is.
Congrats. Sounds like my situation.

Bought my first house in 2008 just before the collapse. Paid $88k. By 2009 the house was worth $65k assuming anyone could buy it.

Fast forward, 2020, I owed $23k, had put ~$30k into it over 12 years and sold it for $105k - Hurray for shit hole Midwest.

What rocks your mind, the house I bought sold for $250k in 2015. It was listed for $320k in 2020 and I paid $360k after a biding war.

Better yet, my market assessment is at $430k and a house down the street sold for $460k. It has a 3 car garage and extra bedroom, but gross carpet floors (I'm ceramic) and no pool or built in grilling patio. Their lot is also icky.
So... yeah.

What makes most of this possible is we are seeing just mind blowing interest rates that literally translate into tens of thousands in savings. 2009 rates where close to 5% compared to the sub 2% rates we now see. Also, with the Commie Cough, massive upheavals in peoples lives and living patterns. Not to mention last summers riots and skyrocketing urban crime.

Flee the cities for the suburbs while you can!
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #634
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Got the money for my old house on 9/24, about a week after going under contract on my new house.
4bd/3ba, 1900ish square feet with a single-car garage, large deck and big back yard with a newish storage building for $237.5k in a nice quiet neighborhood that was nice before, but is still on the comeup.
I should be closing within the next two and a half weeks, as soon as my agent and the buyer can get it scheduled.

And I write too!
Old 10-04-2021, 10:18 AM   #635
souljaseth33
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
souljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to souljaseth33
Purchased my first house earlier this year here in Upstate NY. We (fianc? & I) were lucky enough to purchase from family and get it cheap. Nice to have an oversized 2 car garage, but filling fast with the s13 & multiple bikes. Cannot wait to get the place updated and be able to work around in the garage.

souljaseth33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:47 PM   #636
boostedoxide
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
boostedoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sheet, I'll contribute.. check out visitblairsville.com That's the domain I bought to use as a catchy name for selling my old (first time) place. Made enough from that deal to roll into a 5th wheel toy hauler and buy a couple new toys. ..... I've been MIA for a long time, are there any OG's still on the forums these days?
boostedoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #637
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Quote:
Got the money for my old house on 9/24, about a week after going under contract on my new house.
4bd/3ba, 1900ish square feet with a single-car garage, large deck and big back yard with a newish storage building for $237.5k in a nice quiet neighborhood that was nice before, but is still on the comeup.
I should be closing within the next two and a half weeks, as soon as my agent and the buyer can get it scheduled.
-UPDATE-
Closing next Wednesday at 225k... I will be in to paint the whole thing Friday and start moving our shit in on Saturday.

And I write too!
Old 10-25-2021, 07:18 AM   #638
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Owning a home is so wonderful until stuff breaks.

Right now in my house

Hot water heater started leaking
When it rains hard water comes out a light fixture (roof only 5 years old)
Top side a/c unit on the fritz
All of this happened in the last 6 months
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:08 AM   #639
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Got our tentative closing date of Dec 10th!! After the in-house mortage company called to try and lock us in, its looking like 2.875% before points. Not bad considering the current affairs but I think I may throw some doll-hairs at it to try and snag a 2.5% if I can.

Nice to see the drywall in and ready for stucco. I have soo much shit I have to start buying though. Networking equipment, media hub, mini rack, cameras, jackshaft openers, etc etc. Nowhere has fridges in stock that complete our appliance suite either..I'm getting a little worried about it.

Old 10-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #640
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How the hell are you people getting those houses for those prices?

Around me, shit is through the roof.

A 4 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom house on atleast .25 acres in a decent school district is 450k minimum with several major repairs needed (ex - kitchen from 1973, atleast one bathroom needs immediate renovation, etc)

The same house mentioned above with decent bathrooms and kitchen is about 550k.

My dad just paid 470k for a 2 bed 2 bath rancher on a 10,000 square foot lot. Granted, everything is fully renovated and he is in a nice neighborhood.

Should I just wait for this shit to cool or ACT NOW before its too late?
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:28 PM   #641
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Closed Wednesday, the seller was on some NEXT shit (mostly it was her lying-ass agent though) so it took threat of legal action to get her to sign on Saturday. Garage is cleared and back yard is fenced. All our shit inside the house and being unpacked now.
I will post some pics when I am off at the end of this week.

And I write too!
Old 11-01-2021, 09:30 AM   #642
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa

My girl and I just bought a 2-acre property with a 3-bed, 2-bath bungalow-style home back in April. We have a shed with power and a pellet stove for my wife - which we are converting into a little she-shed where she can paint and do her own thing in and eventually I'll clear some of the wooded area in the back and toss a nice garage on it if we plan to stay long term. Ideally, we wanted to move up north to New Hampshire/Vermont but until I'm done with my MBA, I don't think we'll toss a lot of cash into the home unless the market stays as out of control as it is now. The kitchen and bathrooms are remodeled but the rest of the home is still semi-rustic as most homes are in this area. It's a farming community so most of our neighbors have horses and hunting dogs and shit like that so I'm pretty at peace when I go home. However, I'd love to be in the middle of no where in a free state where I can go to Walmart with a fucking crossbow and shotgun on my back covered in RealTree with my two Aussies riding shotgun to go get some cereal or some shit. My in-laws have a vacation home in North Conway on the Saco River and in the summer, we basically go there every weekend. Get drunk, go swimming in the Saco which is right in the backyard [this is a river that is supplied by Mount Washington], and go hiking and shit.

But, I agree. Homeowning is amazing until you're caught with your pants down and need to invest a pretty penny in repairs or something like a roof - which mine will need soon.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:22 PM   #643
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Fuck providers who only fix the problems not the cause.

Been having issues at my house with water. First water heater starting leaking then literally bottom blew out of it. No biggie was super old. Next the expansion tank on it pops. Was super rusty on the inside figured must have gotten an old one. My toilet flush vale goes out. No biggie who knows how long its been in there. My toilet flush vale on the toilet that is less than 5 years old starts squealing like a stuck pig when it flushes. Weird but it flushes.
--
New hot water heater starts to leak fml.jpg. I already know its like 800 to buy one. I get a plumber's info from someone I trust. Bro comes over. Is exactly on time. He does some things then explains to me all of my issues are due to my water pressure being nigh DOUBLE what it should be. My water pressure valve had failed and i was geting full pressure straight from the street into my house. The water pressue had blown the seals out of the new hot water heater. $125 later new hot water seal, new pressure valve and he cut off a hose that got stuck on a spigot.

He told me prior plumbers would have known but chose not to address the pressure issue as they knew stuff would break and I would have to call them again.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:33 PM   #644
Corbic
Post Whore!

Fun times. At least you don't have to worry about having a new well drilled and a new septic tank put in.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:50 AM   #645
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Since moving in approximately a week before Zilvia shit the bed, the only major issue was a plumbing backup caused by the woman we bought the house from having been flushing her woman products. Jammed up the valve in front of the house and I had standing shitwater in my ground floor bathroom at 7am when I came down to get ready for work.
Luckily our plumber is a close friend of a friend, and lives a block away, so he was here in minutes for a $562 emergency.
Other than that, I am dealing with the fact that she gave an approximate FUCK about the lawn and I am still fighting crab grass in the front yard a couple months into the season. If I'd have known it was this bad, I would have tilled and reseeded instead of aerating and overseeding.

And I write too!
Old 05-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #646
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
Dutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dutchmalmiss
Quote:
Since moving in approximately a week before Zilvia shit the bed, the only major issue was a plumbing backup caused by the woman we bought the house from having been flushing her woman products. Jammed up the valve in front of the house and I had standing shitwater in my ground floor bathroom at 7am when I came down to get ready for work.
Luckily our plumber is a close friend of a friend, and lives a block away, so he was here in minutes for a $562 emergency.
Other than that, I am dealing with the fact that she gave an approximate FUCK about the lawn and I am still fighting crab grass in the front yard a couple months into the season. If I'd have known it was this bad, I would have tilled and reseeded instead of aerating and overseeding.
Ooooo lawncare is my next chapter. This shit does wonders:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My question now is: do I fertilize, overseed, then topsoil? The existing grass is all good, I'm just doing kind of a combo of seasonal upkeep along with patching up all the spots I pulled weeds from.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:08 PM   #647
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmalmiss View Post
Ooooo lawncare is my next chapter. This shit does wonders:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My question now is: do I fertilize, overseed, then topsoil? The existing grass is all good, I'm just doing kind of a combo of seasonal upkeep along with patching up all the spots I pulled weeds from.
If you have good soil and have pulled the weeds, then you should be fine to fertilize at this point in the season. In the fall I would aerate, overseed and fertilize. Apply a preemergent if weeds will be a problem.

And I write too!
Old 05-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #648
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
Fuck providers who only fix the problems not the cause.

Been having issues at my house with water. First water heater started leaking then literally bottom blew out of it. No biggie was super old. Next, the expansion tank on it pops. Was super rusty on the inside figured must have gotten an old one. My toilet flush valve goes out. No biggie who knows how long it's been in there. My toilet flush valve on the toilet that is less than 5 years old starts squealing like a stuck pig when it flushes. Weird but it flushes.
--
The new hot water heater starts to leak fml.jpg. I already know it's like 800 to buy one. I get a plumber's info from someone I trust. Bro comes over. Is exactly on time. He does some things then explains to me all of my issues are due to my water pressure being nigh DOUBLE what it should be. My water pressure valve had failed and I was getting full pressure straight from the street into my house. The water pressure had blown the seals out of the new hot water heater. $125 later new hot water seal, a new pressure valve and he cut off a hose that got stuck on a spigot.

He told me prior plumbers would have known but chose not to address the pressure issue as they knew stuff would break and I would have to call them again.
How long have you been in that house? When I got our home inspection done checking the water pressure was part of the inspection.

Ours was about 50% over the suggested rate.

Had to pay a plumber to replace the valve as it was rusted and couldn't be adjusted. Didn't want to risk a pipe burst of any of the issues that you just described O_o

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:52 PM   #649
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
A little pressure gauge that fits on a hose bibb is a good $15 investment, especially if you ever have problems like water hammer and squealing/banging pipes and valves. When my pressure regulator went out the regulator itself was making a weird rattling noise that echoed through the house.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:34 AM   #650
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

I've noticed the past couple of months, ESPECIALLY since my office directly faces the street and I open the blinds every morning, that about once a week or so someone drives past my house and takes a picture.
After some time on Google, I learned that this happens when a house is sold within the past year, real estate agents are using the house for comps on other houses that are now currently selling nearby.
As much as I hate it, it is also perfectly legal for these people to photograph my house from the street.

And I write too!
Old 05-06-2022, 01:15 PM   #651
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
I've noticed the past couple of months, ESPECIALLY since my office directly faces the street and I open the blinds every morning, that about once a week or so someone drives past my house and takes a picture.
After some time on Google, I learned that this happens when a house is sold within the past year, real estate agents are using the house for comps on other houses that are now currently selling nearby.
As much as I hate it, it is also perfectly legal for these people to photograph my house from the street.
I take photos of houses all the time, especially when I'm walking.

Usually it's to send to the wife because they have a neat accent, paint scheme, land scape, tree, etc.

I'd be more worried about the random hoodlum rolling real slow with their busted up Honda accord, black tint windows, window down, stinking of pot, vaping and is looking around to steal packages off porches or grab-n-dash shit out of open garages.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:18 PM   #652
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
I'd be more worried about the random hoodlum rolling real slow with their busted up Honda accord, black tint windows, window down, stinking of pot, vaping and is looking around to steal packages off porches or grab-n-dash shit out of open garages.
I lived on a main road before and while the neighborhood was not bad, it was more an issue there than here in the back of a neighborhood full of business owners. That element would stick out like a sore thumb. The people photographing the house have been in a Honda HR-V, a Benz wagon and a brand-ass new Jeep Grand Cherokee, not some clapped-out shit obviously casing a neighborhood.

And I write too!
Old 05-07-2022, 11:06 PM   #653
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
I lived on a main road before and while the neighborhood was not bad, it was more an issue there than here in the back of a neighborhood full of business owners. That element would stick out like a sore thumb. The people photographing the house have been in a Honda HR-V, a Benz wagon and a brand-ass new Jeep Grand Cherokee, not some clapped-out shit obviously casing a neighborhood.
Maybe you are just under Fed surveillance.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:11 AM   #654
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Quote:
A black dude who writes short stories, drinks bourbon and has three dogs. They're wasting their fucking time on me.

And I write too!
Old 05-10-2022, 10:17 AM   #655
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Quote:
I take photos of houses all the time, especially when I'm walking.

Usually it's to send to the wife because they have a neat accent, paint scheme, land scape, tree, etc.

Glad to know I'm not the only one like "Man.....that's a nice boulder"

Quote:
Quote:
A black dude who writes short stories, drinks bourbon and has three dogs. They're wasting their fucking time on me.
Prior to my girlfriend working at an unnamed agency, they had a 6 month long background check on her. Towards the end of it, they called her and asked her if she had a boyfriend. She said yes. They asked why she didn't inform them of that.
Her: "No one asked me that question."
Them: "Hmmm..."

Another 3 months went by. They cleared her to start working.

It took them 3 months to clear a brown dude who: browses memes, plays a disturbing amount of HCR2, drinks coconut water, and has 3 dogs.

Anyone in here who purchased a home in the past two years have any regrets or advise?
I'm still hunting for a house as a first time buyer, but beyond the specs of the house [ 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bath, 2000+ above grade square footage + basement, 0.50 acre min, 2 car garage ] what else should I keep an eye out for?
I have a big excel file full of requirements [ no easements, minimum distance between neighboring houses, school districts, ambient noise levels, etc ]. I'm looking for some dad level advice.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:43 PM   #656
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing that's really changed in the past few years is the insanity of pricing and bidding wars. And that depends on your market. Based on your requirements you must be somewhere that's not as hot as my area... here that would be a very rare, well over $1MM property, not a first time purchase for most folks.

The biggest thing after the location of the lot and the size of the building that's hard to change about a house is the grade of the lot. My house is at a low point on the street, my driveway and backyard are both pretty steep, I've had to put a lot of money and work into improving drainage and my house is 40 years old. I don't know how the basement wasn't just constantly wet before I got the house and had the basement flood twice. My in-laws bought this house in '89. I think neighbors may have added patios and additions that sent more water my way.

Second thing I'd think about is take the long view on energy. When I bought my first place almost 20 years ago I would've been all in on gas, price was plummeting, and it was the most efficient way to make heat by far. Now I'd try to get away from it. If I were building my dream house from scratch right now I'd design it around Asian style mini-split heat pumps instead of central air and a furnace, efficiency is insane for both heating and cooling, and it's future-proof.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:01 PM   #657
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
Anyone in here who purchased a home in the past two years have any regrets or advise?
I'm still hunting for a house as a first time buyer, but beyond the specs of the house [ 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bath, 2000+ above grade square footage + basement, 0.50 acre min, 2 car garage ] what else should I keep an eye out for?
I have a big excel file full of requirements [ no easements, minimum distance between neighboring houses, school districts, ambient noise levels, etc ]. I'm looking for some dad level advice.
I purchased in October and regret nothing. I got the house for under asking and my interest rate is BEAUTIFUL.
I have room for my stuff and enough yard for my buddies to run to their heart's content.

I don't know where you live but in my area of NC, the property you just described will START at about $350k, but will assuredly be in a great neighborhood, but will be further from the middle of the city than I am comfortable with personally. You want something like that closer to the middle of the city and it'll be closer to 450-500ish.

And I write too!
Old 05-10-2022, 05:28 PM   #658
S13SilviaGirl
UGH Really?

S13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfection
Quote:
Fun times. At least you don't have to worry about having a new well drilled and a new septic tank put in.
I have a jet well pump (sits in my basement)....and the idiots had added onto the house...OVER THE WELL ACCESS....so hoping we can just switch out just the actual jet pump and hopefully not have to do a whole new well.

My Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTCSuperstar
I surf Zilvia naked in my home...
S13SilviaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:40 PM   #659
S13SilviaGirl
UGH Really?

S13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
Look for roots around base of house, trees, rot, look for solid foundation and little to no cracks. Check the roof line, look for where the nearest fire hydrant is (can help on insurance costs if it is closer). Check utilities in the area (some places are astronomically more than the next town over).

Look at the home at all hours of the day...you do NOT want to have shitty neighbors that blast crap music at 3 am, 2pm and all times in between.

I always do sexual offender checks within the area (though I have 2 kids so this is something important to me).

I thought I bought far enough out of the city...I am still considered apart of the town I live in, but "outside city limits" which is SO nice in so many ways...but everyone is developing around me....guess I should have bought in the middle of a forest.

If you live where it snows...find out how they maintain the streets where you are at. Where I am, some areas are maintained better.

Also, never hurts to go talk to the neighbors and get first hand opinion of the area you are looking at and any potential issues.

Also, interest rates suck ass right now, sadly.

Also, look into programs for first time buyers. A lot of states and cities have them, most realtors can guide ya in navigating them.

On that note, get a good realtor...not a dirtbag that is just wanting a quick $$ and closing no matter the cost.

My Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTCSuperstar
I surf Zilvia naked in my home...
S13SilviaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:26 AM   #660
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13SilviaGirl View Post
Look at the home at all hours of the day...you do NOT want to have shitty neighbors that blast crap music at 3 am, 2pm and all times in between.

I always do sexual offender checks within the area (though I have 2 kids so this is something important to me).
Not discounting the value of this stuff, just remember that it's dynamic. You can't always control who else moves in, especially with a lot of people selling to cash investors who just rent them out, and then the renters sublet and you have 10 cars parked down the block.