Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #421
drifter808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
drifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
got my replacements in a month ago but never posted back here. The mounts would move by hand or screwdriver but once on the struts they move nicely. stiff but nice and smooth. NO MORE NOISE either. problem is all fixed and i finally get to enjoy them. very nice ride i have to admit.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #422
ASIA
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
ASIA has a spectacular aura aboutASIA has a spectacular aura aboutASIA has a spectacular aura aboutASIA has a spectacular aura aboutASIA has a spectacular aura aboutASIA has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ASIA
for you guys getting the replacement mounts, did you guys buy the coilovers from authorized retailers? I bought my coilovers second-hand off another forum member so I'm worried they're not going to send me replacements. What information does Stance ask for when requesting for the replacements?
ASIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:34 AM   #423
logik23
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
logik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIA View Post
for you guys getting the replacement mounts, did you guys buy the coilovers from authorized retailers? I bought my coilovers second-hand off another forum member so I'm worried they're not going to send me replacements. What information does Stance ask for when requesting for the replacements?
You probably won't get them for free, but with Stance you can buy any part seperate so they will sell you just the mount.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:23 AM   #424
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
D1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIA View Post
just provide your name and address.
D1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #425
K4RR
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
K4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by logik23 View Post
Yeah, they send them out right away, but the ones they send out are just as defective as the ones you have now. :ghey:
They better not be defective. Or I am gonna pissed...
K4RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:34 AM   #426
logik23
Zilvia Junkie

logik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4RR View Post
They better not be defective. Or I am gonna pissed...
I've received 4 replacement set so far, 3 of them have been defective, I still haven't tried the 4th set, but apperently they are good, so I'm hoping for the best.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:08 AM   #427
K4RR
Leaky Injector

K4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by logik23 View Post
I've received 4 replacement set so far, 3 of them have been defective, I still haven't tried the 4th set, but apperently they are good, so I'm hoping for the best.
Me too! I found this pic on ka-t.org. are these what the new ones look like?
K4RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:38 AM   #428
DaPCWiz
Zilvia Addict

DaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DaPCWiz Send a message via MSN to DaPCWiz Send a message via Yahoo to DaPCWiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4RR View Post
Me too! I found this pic on ka-t.org. are these what the new ones look like?
yeah mine are still having issues - imma call stance next week.

http://blog.dapcwiz.com
DaPCWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #429
logik23
Zilvia Junkie

Those pictures look like the Basic/Sport coilovers with rubber bushings instead of pillowballs.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:23 AM   #430
hotrodv
Zilvia Junkie

hotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfection
After reading this thread I've contact stance and in 2 week I've received my new parts directly in italy with no cost! good! now I've to install them, seem a little hard to rotate but from what I've read is kinda normal..
hotrodv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #431
mtx450
Zilvia Junkie

mtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura about
These coilovers just do not like preload at all.
mtx450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:51 AM   #432
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx450 View Post
These coilovers just do not like preload at all.
i thought they NEED preload to fix the problem?
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #433
DaPCWiz
Zilvia Addict

DaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DaPCWiz Send a message via MSN to DaPCWiz Send a message via Yahoo to DaPCWiz
I got my replacement set - and honestly they are worse than the original set. I contacted stance again to tell them that and they are shipping me out yet another set of top mounts. If this new set isn't good, then I might consider buying some tein camber plates and throwing them on there.

http://blog.dapcwiz.com
DaPCWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #434
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
all you do is call them. and they ask where u live and they send them ahha no questions asked well thats what happeend to mine
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #435
1sik240sx

1sik240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Video of correct movement?

I am new here but i thought i would create a video of what i thought was the correct movement of my coilovers. This is a GR+ purchased in December of 2007. Maybe this will clear some problems up? I was reading this and tested mine, and they did not do any of them problems stated above in this topic. I also attached a picture to show the camber plate being "2/3." I have my coilovers cleaned, lubed, and off the car for the winter, so if you need anymore pictures / videos let me know!

Hope this helps !

- Kyle

Here is the picture of the camber plate.

1sik240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #436
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
The problem is they are trying to make a spherical bearing turn radially with a large axial load on it - they won't ever do that with little friction.

They either need to give torrington bearings to put under the spring, or adapt some sort of thrust bearing into their design.

I should do mechanical engineering consulting to these people that keep farming their production out to China and no one in the process knows any better.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #437
naed240sx
Zilvia Member

naed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
The problem is they are trying to make a spherical bearing turn radially with a large axial load on it - they won't ever do that with little friction.
While it is true that more axial load produces more friction, this design works perfectly fine as long as quality pillowballs are used.
naed240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #438
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by naed240sx View Post
While it is true that more axial load produces more friction, this design works perfectly fine as long as quality pillowballs are used.
Even the nicest spherical bearings are specifically stated to not be loaded axially and forced to rotate often. QA1 and Auroras both say that their spherical bearings shouldn't be used like this.

If it were just as easy as spending a little more on a "nicer" spherical bearing, I don't think everybody would be having as many problems with them as they are on this thread.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #439
mtx450
Zilvia Junkie

mtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura about
Well, my new camber plates with the new bearings seem to be better, but still get minor memory steer. I can minimize it by releasing some pre-load, but I don't want to do that.

The new issue is that the adjustment knob on the from driver side strut just snapped off with the rod that goes into the strut. Fucking great. I just sent them an e-mail. I haven't even had these coilovers for a year. I'm not so sure about Stance anymore.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #440
onepuff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
onepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx450 View Post
The new issue is that the adjustment knob on the from driver side strut just snapped off with the rod that goes into the strut. Fucking great. I just sent them an e-mail. I haven't even had these coilovers for a year. I'm not so sure about Stance anymore.

Damn same thing just happened to mine but the passenger side. I was at the track to and couldn't adjust the front dampers. :hammer:

I emailed them too. Did you ever hear back from them?
onepuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #441
mtx450
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepuff View Post
Damn same thing just happened to mine but the passenger side. I was at the track to and couldn't adjust the front dampers. :hammer:

I emailed them too. Did you ever hear back from them?
Yeah, they sent me new "clickers", but I'm not sure if it's going to work. I'm gonna install them this weekend.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #442
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

D1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the rough
lol my knob broke off too. they're gonna send me new clickers as well. sad to say i havent had nothing but problems with this setup. to top things off, the binding noise is back woot woot.
D1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #443
onepuff
Zilvia Member

onepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruin
I got new clickers coming tomorrow.
onepuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #444
ilia
Zilvia Junkie

ilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to all
Spherical bearings transmit noise. When you get rid of your 3" thick OEM rubber shock mount and replace it with SOLID STEEL, you'll get a bit more noise.

That says nothing of the quality of the coilover, or the quality of the company.

When you don't put anti seize on the adjuster threads, they'll seize up. Again, nothing new. The parts need regular servicing.

Don't hurt a company's reputation because you don't know how to work on cars.
ilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #445
4bangers
Zilvia Junkie

4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices
I just got my GR+ and the adjusting now doesn't have a rod sticking into the strut but rather a hex cap fit over the strut and you can adjust the strut. Is this how it's with your coil?
4bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #446
ilovecoupes
Zilvia Member

ilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangers View Post
I just got my GR+ and the adjusting now doesn't have a rod sticking into the strut but rather a hex cap fit over the strut and you can adjust the strut. Is this how it's with your coil?
Wat?

Are asking if its normal for the dampening knob on the front coilovers should be a hex pattern?

then yes. When i first got them they were an actually golden knob
then I got a replacement shock that had a silver, metal, hex dampening knob
ilovecoupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #447
4bangers
Zilvia Junkie

4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices4bangers has made poor choices
so I don't have the front noise problem but I have the rear clunk noise whenever I go over road gap, drain cover plate, and such. Do you know what happen?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #448
nicku
Zilvia Junkie

nicku will become famous soon enoughnicku will become famous soon enoughnicku will become famous soon enoughnicku will become famous soon enoughnicku will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangers View Post
so I don't have the front noise problem but I have the rear clunk noise whenever I go over road gap, drain cover plate, and such. Do you know what happen?
I had that problem and I called touge factory. They sent me a new set of rear pillowball mounts. problem solved. Its just the pillowballs were realy really loose. Call touge factory and talk to scott.
nicku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #449
cxlo8331
Nissanaholic!

Location: Feasting on the flesh of the guilty, and drinking the blood of the innocent (714)
Trader Rating: (17)
cxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
ok, so here's an update:
intsalled new pillow ball mounts yesterday and got an alignment.
Amazingly, the noise is gone and no memory steer. the new mounts are like the ones DAPCWIZ posted up:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPCWiz View Post
new mounts:

compare the two (new left, old right):

The top circle area where the pillowball mounts to appears redesigned. Mount is also now slightly thicker.
My old mounts were black though.

Everything seems to be working great. car rides butter smooth now.

Hopefully this problem is solved. I'll keep my fingers crossed and will update if anything goes wrong.

cxlo8331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #450
4bangers
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicku View Post
I had that problem and I called touge factory. They sent me a new set of rear pillowball mounts. problem solved. Its just the pillowballs were realy really loose. Call touge factory and talk to scott.
the rear stance use pillowballs too? i thought just the front has pillowball. Do you need to say anything when calling tougefactory? or just ask for a new pillowball mount.