Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-07-2021, 12:03 PM   #31
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Why?? The engine is already open, spend the few hundred and get the proper forged pistons.

Stock SR piston in any SR is at the least 20+ years old.....

Spend the money on the right builder, and your shit will be reliable for a LONG time. King just hasn't found the right sauce/recipe yet
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2021, 07:33 PM   #32
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Why?? The engine is already open, spend the few hundred and get the proper forged pistons.

Stock SR piston in any SR is at the least 20+ years old.....

Spend the money on the right builder, and your shit will be reliable for a LONG time. King just hasn't found the right sauce/recipe yet
When I say stock pistons I meant new ones.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:20 PM   #33
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Nope. Stock pistons are not cheaper by any significant margin than a forged piston for me to even consider it.....much less that they are a 30 to 40 year old design and spec

No thanks
Old 06-07-2021, 10:49 PM   #34
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
So what about a semi built engine forged rods, stock pistons?
With your goals you could even go with stock rods with forged pistons
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:45 AM   #35
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
I'm telling you, get some Mahle pistons if you're really concerned about the forged piston slap and engine wear. The high silicone forgings are stronger than stock but expand less with heat. They really are the best option for a 'daily driver medium power' style forged engine build. https://www.us.mahle.com/media/usa/m...t-2020-web.pdf

If you're going to be on pump gas, you don't need the upped compression of most pistons anyway.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:27 AM   #36
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

^^ Yep. That is where my mind is at too.

No reason to go with stock piston with today's offerings.
Tech has progressed immensely in the years since a full SR swap was 2K picked up from an importer
Old 06-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #37
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I actually have a set of those mahle power pack pistons for sale if anyone is interested. I will let them go for cheap and they're brand new.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:56 PM   #38
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Aight, So Mahle pistons, go it. I was thinking eagle rods.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:48 AM   #39
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
Aight, So Mahle pistons, go it. I was thinking eagle rods.
I know there are plenty of people who have had good luck with Eagles over the years, but to me their quality control is subpar, or at least was a few years back. We've had some come through with big ends out of spec, and we had a series of them break at power levels they should not be breaking at.

I would go with Manley if you want the cheap h-beams, but I think it's worth the one-and-done of the big boy I-beams, or Wiseco boostline. For 'safety's sake'.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #40
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I'm surprised no one has touched on this, but it's crucial a machine shop bore and hones with torque plate especially with alloy blocks. They tend to distort more then cast iron engines. Also adding in ARP head studs and/or ARP main studs will distort them even more. Mahle pistons are great, I've used them in customer builds as well as my own cars. The ptw clearances are tighter with 4032 alloy pistons so be sure the machine shop is aware of that. If you are able to, always triple check the work after getting it all back.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:22 PM   #41
Future240
Future Moderator

^^^^The shop I am getting to build the SR is
https://www.facebook.com/NightOwlPerformance/

It is a local shop so I doubt yall have any thoughts on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
I know there are plenty of people who have had good luck with Eagles over the years, but to me their quality control is subpar, or at least was a few years back. We've had some come through with big ends out of spec, and we had a series of them break at power levels they should not be breaking at.

I would go with Manley if you want the cheap h-beams, but I think it's worth the one-and-done of the big boy I-beams, or Wiseco boostline. For 'safety's sake'.
Manley rods are so cheap it makes me kinda worried lol. I am looking at the Tomei Rods.

https://www.rhdjapan.com/tomei-h-bea...-sr20de-t.html
Old 06-11-2021, 12:10 AM   #42
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Manley holds a pretty significant market share

I wouldn't pay the premium for #jdm when stateside stuff is not only cheaper, but in some cases, better.

My 0.02c
Old 06-22-2021, 12:08 PM   #43
splitfire
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
splitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
I would not put a forged piston into an SR20DET unless I was aiming for over 500rwhp.
To put it another way... of course 98% of individuals are going to say that the stock piston isn't capable or is too weak for XXX power. That is because they lack the skill set necessary to make it work to it's full potential. Forged pistons are a crutch that allow one to be terrible at engine config and worse at tuning because forged piston withstand the abuse of ignorance at the cost of mileage capability and reliability not to mention quintupling the cost of said engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
very well said. I completely agree and do not take stock pistons on my OWN sr engine past 400bhp. If I wanted more I would step up to a V8 or 2J, forget opening the sr20 IMO.

Seems like you changed your mind a bit over the years
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote