Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-20-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
xsparc
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
xsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xsparc Send a message via Yahoo to xsparc
Unhappy Damn nissans

Im really getting sick of the 240 and alot of the people out there that have them. I originaly bought a 1990 SOHC 240 from a guy who said it was fine. Everything was not, bad rings and stem seals. It drank about a quart per tank of gass, plus the clutch went out after about 2 weeks. I did a s15 conversion on it anyway after fixing the clutch. Carbon fiber hood, s15 core support, Target bumper (like the orginal signal s15), custom fit s15 fenders, Volk t37 rims. Once it was all finnished some punk stole it down in San Diego. A few days later I found another 240, this time a 1989. The guy i bought this one from said everything was again fine. About a week later it broke a valve. When i opend the valve cover to look I found that the 4th cam tower was missing a bolt and the rocker retainers, which is how the valve got sheered off. Since the bottom end was ok except for a small divit in the piston that i got pollished out i just replaced the head. Again this engine drank oil too so i went ahead and replaced it too. I found a "98" engine with a JWT ecu and wiring from a "95" for $500 in a wercked 91-94 240. So i bought the junker and swapped the engines. After looking over the engine im betting there is no way its even a 98 block with a 95 head and harness. The ecu was actually a JWT ecu. Now i have the newer engine in and it too most likely have bad stem seals cause it goes through about a quart every 2 tanks of gas. But it was supposed to have just been rebuilt with less than 10k miles on it. Hmmm... yea right. I am so sick of dishonest people and all the problems with this car. I do love the car and how it handles but most of the people i have met with it only try to rip you off. So if you want it, lets make a trade. I also have a full 300zx brake upgrade (front and rear with e-brake) with the 30mm aluminum calipers, 17/16th MC, SS braded lines, rear 5 lug from the NA 300zx, front aftermarket 5 lugs that arnt on yet. You can have all of it so just make a good trade or offer.
xsparc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
95civicEX
Zilvia Member

95civicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 95civicEX
first off...paragraphs...second, there is a for sale section.
95civicEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
xsparc
Zilvia Junkie

xsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to behold
Sorry i just really had to vent.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
TurK
Zilvia Addict

TurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to TurK
sounds like your having trouble with people not "Nissans"
TurK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #5
007jpang
Zilvia Junkie

007jpang is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurK
sounds like your having trouble with people not "Nissans"
i agree... all i got to say is ... *EDITED* got suckered :ghey:

*You say something that fucking stupid again and you're BANNED!*

-ThatGuy

April 24th, 1915
http://www.shockdrifting.com
007jpang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:07 PM   #6
Enemy
Zilvia Member

Enemy is a well-known jackass
Send a message via AIM to Enemy Send a message via Yahoo to Enemy
Shoulda spent your cash on making the first 240 you mentioned run right instead of going all JaYdEe3hM on it. You made it an attention whore and it got jacked. It's not even people problems you have really, sounds like you need to learn how to tell a lemon from a deal.

In either case, sucks that you're having a rough time and good luck.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:07 PM   #7
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
shuda saved for a house and take the bus to work.
mjjstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:10 PM   #8
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Sucks for this to happen...but its the people to blame..not the car. You'd think after dumping so much money into such a car you would try something else....
SimpleS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:13 PM   #9
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
007jpang, you've been warned.

To the thread starter, maybe you shouldn't buy used vehicles.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:19 PM   #10
chlatboy
Zilvia FREAK!

chlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
To the thread starter, maybe you shouldn't buy used vehicles.
Or you shouldve gotten a good alarm and addition thief deterant system.

chlatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:43 PM   #11
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
It's funny how you complain about how these engines you got broke on you and ate oil. You were the person who bought the damn thing. Why didn't you inspect it? If you aren't qualified to do so, you should have gotten a mechanic to check everything for you.

Used cars aren't that complicated. Check the frame, check bushings, check the fluids, check the brakes, check the tires, check the check engine light, check the compression, do a leak down test if you can, check for leaks, check all of the electronics and AC, check for dents, ask about recent maintenance, and go take it for a test drive. Let it warm up and then drive it how you would drive it, hard. After everything checks out, lower your offer based on the cost of repairs needed.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:11 PM   #12
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
JaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JaeTea
Quote:
I originaly bought a 1990 SOHC 240 from a guy who said it was fine. Everything was not, bad rings and stem seals. It drank about a quart per tank of gass, plus the clutch went out after about 2 weeks. I did a s15 conversion on it anyway
OK and that isn't a waste of money how??!?!

This post is pointless..blaming a car because of your own unwise decisions.
JaeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:23 PM   #13
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
1. you need to check out your cars more before you buy them
2. if you're going to put expensive front ends on the car, expect to get it stolen
3. you bought an mix & match engine with an aftermarket ECU; should've expected something to be fucked up
4. stop throwing in the towel everytime you encounter a little hardship. save up the money and fix it yourself, instead of playing musical chairs with cars.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:09 PM   #14
Mervyn
Zilvia Member

Mervyn is a well-known jackass
the 'ripping off' part is pretty true.. come on, a stock 240sx fastback with 180K miles for $5,000.. what the hell.
Mervyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:14 PM   #15
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervyn
the 'ripping off' part is pretty true.. come on, a stock 240sx fastback with 180K miles for $5,000.. what the hell.

reread the post.....
SimpleS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:21 PM   #16
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
WILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WILDACEX187
thats on thing about the east coast. 240 people are all cool with each other since they're so few of us here. most are driven by women and old people. another thing is that i think u kept buying these cars on impulse instead of testing them out and checking out the engine. a valve doesnt just break (i dont think)
Old 07-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #17
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
JaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JaeTea
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDACEX187
thats on thing about the east coast. 240 people are all cool with each other since they're so few of us here. most are driven by women and old people.
Except the fact that most are rusted to hell and back cause of the shitty weather up here! :hammer:
JaeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:02 AM   #18
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTea
Except the fact that most are rusted to hell and back cause of the shitty weather up here! :hammer:
Which is why I like the SOUTHeast, doesn't snow here much and when it does, it so cripples the city that I don't have to move my car, as if I would have been able to anyway.

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:11 PM   #19
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
hey guys, i bought a rusted out hulk of a s13 for $90,000 dollars, put some HRE's on it, then my suspension fell out from under it.

FUCK nissans

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:11 PM   #20
-usmd-180sx
Zilvia Addict

-usmd-180sx is making a name for him/her self-usmd-180sx is making a name for him/her self-usmd-180sx is making a name for him/her self
sucks to hear that news man.. all i can say is you got

Maybe you should buy a car where the people will treat ya right.. maybe try the honda family?

Does anyone else really love these smilies? but this post is kinda pointless..
Might be a little bit more appropriate in the 'off topic' section? Because this is just nonesense

Attention all flamers!! You are welcome here!!!
-usmd-180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:17 PM   #21
wingsnthangs
Zilvia Junkie

wingsnthangs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wingsnthangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsparc
Im really getting sick of the 240 and alot of the people out there that have them. I originaly bought a 1990 SOHC 240 from a guy who said it was fine. Everything was not, bad rings and stem seals. It drank about a quart per tank of gass, plus the clutch went out after about 2 weeks. I did a s15 conversion on it anyway after fixing the clutch. Carbon fiber hood, s15 core support, Target bumper (like the orginal signal s15), custom fit s15 fenders, Volk t37 rims. Once it was all finnished some punk stole it down in San Diego. A few days later I found another 240, this time a 1989. The guy i bought this one from said everything was again fine. About a week later it broke a valve. When i opend the valve cover to look I found that the 4th cam tower was missing a bolt and the rocker retainers, which is how the valve got sheered off. Since the bottom end was ok except for a small divit in the piston that i got pollished out i just replaced the head. Again this engine drank oil too so i went ahead and replaced it too. I found a "98" engine with a JWT ecu and wiring from a "95" for $500 in a wercked 91-94 240. So i bought the junker and swapped the engines. After looking over the engine im betting there is no way its even a 98 block with a 95 head and harness. The ecu was actually a JWT ecu. Now i have the newer engine in and it too most likely have bad stem seals cause it goes through about a quart every 2 tanks of gas. But it was supposed to have just been rebuilt with less than 10k miles on it. Hmmm... yea right. I am so sick of dishonest people and all the problems with this car. I do love the car and how it handles but most of the people i have met with it only try to rip you off. So if you want it, lets make a trade. I also have a full 300zx brake upgrade (front and rear with e-brake) with the 30mm aluminum calipers, 17/16th MC, SS braded lines, rear 5 lug from the NA 300zx, front aftermarket 5 lugs that arnt on yet. You can have all of it so just make a good trade or offer.
As car enthusiasts, we all probably want to modify our cars to make them all nice. However, as owners of aging cars (most 240SX’s going on 10+ years), you gotta realize that maintenance has to come first. It’s the terrible mistake many irrational (usually young), excited 240SX owners make when first getting their car. Don’t fall into the distraction of nice rims, exhausts, suspension, accessories, etc, or even OEM upgrades. Fix before upgrade, maintenance before modification.

If you can’t fix it yourself, bring it to a professional. Ain’t nothin’ wrong with that. Some people just ain’t good at fixing things. Yeah, it’d cost more, but chances are you wouldn’t have as many car troubles as you do now.

With the money you spent on aesthetic upgrades, your car could’ve been running like a champ with cash to spare. It would be stock, but running better than your current import tuner. Your mistake wasn’t buying a 240SX, but neglecting the repairs your 15yearold car needed.

As for people (thieves, dishonest sellers) jacking you, sorry to hear about that. It’s crazy how many shady people there are out there, especially in the import scene, and there aint much you can do about that. But you gotta realize the trade-off that comes with nice mods—they attract attention, for better or for worse. It’s just how it goes with popular cars.

I'll admit San Diego has a lot of car theft, and 240SX is growing in popularity. But changing cars to solve the problem is about as effective as changing your residence. Whether you live in SD or LA, or whether you own a 240SX or an Accord, you're still gonna have the same problems if you dont change your ways. Changing cars won’t change your situation as much as changing your mentality. It may sound trite, but it’s true.

Hope you learn something and you take better care of your next car.
wingsnthangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:42 PM   #22
-usmd-180sx
Zilvia Addict

-usmd-180sx is making a name for him/her self-usmd-180sx is making a name for him/her self-usmd-180sx is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnthangs
As car enthusiasts, we all probably want to modify our cars to make them all nice. However, as owners of aging cars (most 240SX’s going on 10+ years), you gotta realize that maintenance has to come first. It’s the terrible mistake many irrational (usually young), excited 240SX owners make when first getting their car. Don’t fall into the distraction of nice rims, exhausts, suspension, accessories, etc, or even OEM upgrades. Fix before upgrade, maintenance before modification.

If you can’t fix it yourself, bring it to a professional. Ain’t nothin’ wrong with that. Some people just ain’t good at fixing things. Yeah, it’d cost more, but chances are you wouldn’t have as many car troubles as you do now.

With the money you spent on aesthetic upgrades, your car could’ve been running like a champ with cash to spare. It would be stock, but running better than your current import tuner. Your mistake wasn’t buying a 240SX, but neglecting the repairs your 15yearold car needed.

As for people (thieves, dishonest sellers) jacking you, sorry to hear about that. It’s crazy how many shady people there are out there, especially in the import scene, and there aint much you can do about that. But you gotta realize the trade-off that comes with nice mods—they attract attention, for better or for worse. It’s just how it goes with popular cars.

I'll admit San Diego has a lot of car theft, and 240SX is growing in popularity. But changing cars to solve the problem is about as effective as changing your residence. Whether you live in SD or LA, or whether you own a 240SX or an Accord, you're still gonna have the same problems if you dont change your ways. Changing cars won’t change your situation as much as changing your mentality. It may sound trite, but it’s true.

Hope you learn something and you take better care of your next car.
AMEN!
-usmd-180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #23
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTea
i love the weather here...
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:42 PM   #24
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpoopy
i love the weather here...
Now if we could only work on the PEOPLE up there in Jersey...

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:05 AM   #25
xsparc
Zilvia Junkie

guys guys, yea it should have been in offtopic section, but i just needed to vent. i do love the car and all but damn ive had some bad luck (mostly with people). ill be getting new stem seals next week so well see how that works out, plus i just did a tuneup and the timing was set to +35 so that got fixed.