Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
93nismo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
93nismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
s13 ignition key light

ive been lookin for a write up on it all over the place. i dont know if im not useing the wright combonation of words, or what the hell it is. but i cant find anything aside of people selling them. that obviously dosent help because i have one right in front of me. i dont think i can wire it up so it goes on when i open the door and shuts off after a few min because i dont have a timer or anysort for it. i just want it on when my lights are on. so i need to know were im spliceing it and anything else that goes alone with that. no, i dont know what color the wires are that are for the lights so id need that info as well.

thanks in advance if anybody wants to help/
Old 12-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Slammed180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Slammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Use a circuit tester.

Then find a plug close under the dash, close to where you're installing the key ring light, unplug it, and put the tester into each of the pins, while turning your lights on/off. If the tester lights up, then splice into that wire. It'll only turn on when your lights are on then.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
93nismo
Zilvia Addict

thats the plan if i cant get instructions before tommarow afternoon. i dont have the tools at home. so ill be doing that tommarow if i get nothing here.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
All you need is power and ground. To have it turn on with your gauge lights, just look for a red/blue wire to splice into. Any of the buttons on the gauge bezel or from your radio harness have one.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 12-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I just grounded one wire and tapped the other into the solid red wire with white stripe that goes into the ignition. Light is on 24/7
Old 12-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
DreamN
Post Whore!

DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
!Zar!, so it lights up even with the key out of the ignition?

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 12-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
93nismo
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
All you need is power and ground. To have it turn on with your gauge lights, just look for a red/blue wire to splice into. Any of the buttons on the gauge bezel or from your radio harness have one.
thats pretty much exactly what i was looking for:] thank you much

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
I just grounded one wire and tapped the other into the solid red wire with white stripe that goes into the ignition. Light is on 24/7
thats what ill be doing if i dont find the wire im looking for
Old 12-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Maiku240sxS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
Maiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Why would you want it on 24/7..?

For the life of me, I can't find that freak'n thread on how to wire the key light. I believe you can wire it up to the door switch so that when the door is open it lights up and when you close the door, there's a delay before it turns off.

I was going to wire it up this weekend but I rolled my ankle, so it will hopefully be next weekend.

When you get yours done post up on how you did it. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
DreamN
Post Whore!

If it's for an S13, then there is no delay. If you want it to light up with your doors opening just tap into your courtesy light (SE models) or your door chime. It'll turn on when the door opens and turn off when the door closes, but there is no delay.

S14s, have the delay I believe.

Also, it's such a simple install that I really don't understand folks bothering on a write up.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 12-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
JayDee M Rolly
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
JayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really nice
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JayDee M Rolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiku240sxS14 View Post
Why would you want it on 24/7..?

For the life of me, I can't find that freak'n thread on how to wire the key light. I believe you can wire it up to the door switch so that when the door is open it lights up and when you close the door, there's a delay before it turns off.
yeah but why would you want it to light up when you have the door open? chances are when you put your key in the door is closed...

my friend had has light up all the time too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniguchi_Is_#1 View Post
are you an angel? because i want to put my penis in your vagina.
http://yourenotdown.net/
Old 12-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
DreamN
Post Whore!

The way it's suppose to work is it lights up once the door opens and stays lit for an allotted amount of time once the door has closed.

Though I might like the fact of it being on 24/7. Someone confirm if it's actually on 24/7 (key out of ignition).

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 12-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
If you want it to light up when your headlights are on, then wire it to the light in your ashtray.

If you want it to light up when your door opens, wire it into your courtesy (kick panel) lights.

If you dont have kick panel lights pm me.

If you want me to make you a harness pm me

if you dont know wich is positive and which is negative just hook them up its a 12v power source either the light will light up or you need to switch em. Its honestly really easy to figure out even without a test light.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Old 12-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
Wake
Premium Member

Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
why the hell would you have it light up all the time?

Mine only lights up when my door is open, if you want it to light up and stay lit for an amount of time after the door is closed then you need to add a dimmer/timer to the circuit.

if you want it to light up when the door opens and off when you turn the engine on then you need to ground it through the ignition.

I considered doing a write up but its suuuper simple.
The only reason you would need instructions is if you didnt have the courtesy lights to wire it to.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
Old 12-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #14
93nismo
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
If it's for an S13, then there is no delay. If you want it to light up with your doors opening just tap into your courtesy light (SE models) or your door chime. It'll turn on when the door opens and turn off when the door closes, but there is no delay.

S14s, have the delay I believe.

Also, it's such a simple install that I really don't understand folks bothering on a write up.
i dident know if there would be a delay or not. so thanks for answering that. i really just want it on when the lights are on. i dont want it on 24/7. thas dumb. and i like the idea of haveing it with the sourtesy lights. so i may do that. ill post here how i did it when im done doing it. may not be for a few days tho.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
DreamN
Post Whore!

Just would like to have it on 24/7. See if I like it or not. If I don't I could always switch it back. Glowing ring at night might be a nice touch is all.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 12-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #16
Wake
Premium Member

to each their own.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
Old 12-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #17
93nismo
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Just would like to have it on 24/7. See if I like it or not. If I don't I could always switch it back. Glowing ring at night might be a nice touch is all.
thats why i want it wired into the lights. when i turn on my lights i want it on. when my lights are off i want it off. no need for it to be on when i cant even see it right? ill hop on alldata at school tommarow and see if i cant find the wires that i need to splice it in. i THINK if i wire it in before the light swith its gunna be on 24/7. i might be wrong tho. ill look into it. thanks for all the help so far. ill make sure to post how i did it and where i spliced it in when i do it
Old 12-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #18
shanelach
Zilvia Member

shanelach is an unknown quantity at this point
Splice into the red wire with the blue stripe which comes out of your light stalk, runs under your steering column towards the passenger side, then under the ignition towards the fire wall.

Ta-da. The ignition ring light will turn on when you turn out your lights.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #19
93nismo
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanelach View Post
Splice into the red wire with the blue stripe which comes out of your light stalk, runs under your steering column towards the passenger side, then under the ignition towards the fire wall.

Ta-da. The ignition ring light will turn on when you turn out your lights.
should i just ground it to the chasis? or is there a ground wire in there somewere
Old 12-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #20
shanelach
Zilvia Member

shanelach is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a small 8 or 10mm nut on the left side of the steering column. Just ground it there.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #21
93nismo
Zilvia Addict

sweet deal. thanks alot man:] thats exactly what i wanted to hear.

thanks to everybody else as well. you were all a huge help. sopefully this thread will help sombody else as well. ill be sure to post when i get it done as well.

also glad to see no flameing on this
Old 12-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #22
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Mine is on 24/7. Even right now it is on. My alarm light is flashing all the time. No difference. Unless you wire up some caps or something so it stays on for a short while after your doors close, I find it dumb. It would serve no purpose; as if the car needs a light in the first place.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #23
Maiku240sxS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
Maiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
It just a matter of personal preferance. I just don't see a point to have a light on all the time, its a key light.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #24
5t341tH
Post Whore!

5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to 5t341tH
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
i did this as well. since i had a white LED in there, i wasnt afraid of battery drainage.
shit looks nice when its on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee M Rolly View Post
yeah but why would you want it to light up when you have the door open? chances are when you put your key in the door is closed...

my friend had has light up all the time too.
fosho. light up all the time looks cooler. especially with a bright LED

lexus baby
Old 12-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #25
93nismo
Zilvia Addict

!ZAR! that doesent yeild any effect on you battary being on 24/7? just curious
Old 12-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #26
93nismo
Zilvia Addict

s13 how to do it, step by step.

alright. heres how to do it, step by step yo:] no pics tho. not like you need em... lol

tools needed:
wire cutters
screwdriver(#2 phillips i believe)
wirecutters/stripers
ziptie(optional)
soldering iron
solder
heat shrink tubee

1. useing a scredriver, remove all the bolts holding in the kick plate that coveres the fuse box under your dash. this allows you to access the bolt behind the panel for the next step.

2. again, with the screw driver. remove all the bolts along the bottom onf the panel under your steering colume. i beleive theres 7 or 8? remember to get the 2 on the very bottom on each side.

3. useing your screwdriver, unscrew the bolts to remove the panels covering the steering colume. then take em off.

4. useing your fingers this time, disconnect the mmm... lets call it a connection :] that has the red wire with the blue stripe in it. its right under the turnsignal/light stick. then, cut the red wire with the blue stripe. obviously leave yourself enough wire on both ends to solder everything together

5. if your light came with a connecter on the end of it cut the wires (i left some wire on both ends, just incase i use it for whatever or somebody needs it.) and splice it into the red wire with the blue stripe. make sure you put the heat shrink on the wire BEFORE you solder it all together. make sure you put both ends of the red wire with the blue stripe back together along with one of the wires from the light. then shink the tubeee

6. ground the other wire on the light. i grounded it on a bolt on the steering colume. but any chassis ground works. reconnect that connecter you disconected and turn your lights on and touch the bare wires to the ground to make sure its good before you ground it for good. (might want to test the lights before you soulder everything together just incase)

7. put the light were it belongs and use the ziptie to hold all the wires together and shit. then repeat steps 1-3 to put everything back together.

i dont think i forgot anything. if i did pm me and ill walk you through it and help as much as i can.

*I DID THIS ON AN S13. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW ITS DONE IN AN S14*

edit:forgot the ziptie part:]
Old 12-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #27
Team DET
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
Team DET is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
damn i should wire mine up been having it for about 6 months lol
Old 12-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #28
93nismo
Zilvia Addict

lol it took me like 45 min, but i dident know exactly what to do. it shouldent take more then 30min to do everything
Old 12-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #29
ViciousCesar!
Zilvia FREAK!

ViciousCesar! is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team DET View Post
damn i should wire mine up been having it for about 6 months lol
same here. it just sits inside my din pocket. lol
Old 12-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #30
Wake
Premium Member

I still dont understand the point in having it on all the time, the reflection on your windshield at night is obnoxious.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
Closed Thread