Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-12-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
kickeachverse
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
kickeachverse is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kickeachverse
s13 Ebay Coilovers...

I just wanna know your guys feedback on those. Any information on them will be greatly appreciated. I need a quick and cheap alternative to my cut springs. Haha. :ghey:
kickeachverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #2
CaoBoY
Zilvia Addict

CaoBoY is making a name for him/her selfCaoBoY is making a name for him/her self
i have stock shocks/springs, there's your quick alternative!
CaoBoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
kickeachverse
Zilvia Member

I don't wanna switch back to stock height. I also have my stock springs. Just wanted to find another alternative to lowering it. Can't run on cut springs forever. It's hazardous to my car's health.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
redpotatoes
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
redpotatoes is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickeachverse
I just wanna know your guys feedback on those. Any information on them will be greatly appreciated. I need a quick and cheap alternative to my cut springs. Haha. :ghey:
You just anwser yourself, quick and cheap = Ebay coilovers. Remember, quality is not cheap, reliability is not cheap. The best alternative you have is to get like KYB gr2 or agx with a decent set of springs.
redpotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
Plus they dont fit. I know cuz i ____ some. (Fill in the blank)

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:39 PM   #6
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
WTF does "Ebay coilovers" mean?
There's a ton of crap on ebay. Some name brand, some not. Some quality, some not, and no 2 are mutually exclusive 99% of the time on there. You need to be a little more specific.

also, PIX = words x 1,000

www.360realms.com/S13-S15
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
timlush
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
timlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to timlush
i think he's talking about the ones that you put on your stock struts that are just the perch and spring. they are junk

pic:
timlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:43 PM   #8
yokotas13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
yokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to yokotas13 Send a message via MSN to yokotas13 Send a message via Yahoo to yokotas13
The footwerks coilovers on ebay are awesome i have em
yokotas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:19 AM   #9
kickeachverse
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlush
i think he's talking about the ones that you put on your stock struts that are just the perch and spring. they are junk

pic:
I appologize. Yeah these are the ones i was referring to. I saw the footwerks ones and i can't stop drooling over them. I think my best best would be to save up for those but in the mean time i wanted to rock some cheap coilovers so i can slam my shit. But thanks for the feedback folks. I appreciate your opinions and flaming.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:27 AM   #10
CoasTek240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
CoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud ofCoasTek240 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CoasTek240
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokotas13
The footwerks coilovers on ebay are awesome i have em
are you serious, bc i saw them on there and didnt really consider them bc i havent heard anything bout them. have you owned any other brand of coilovers?
CoasTek240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:03 AM   #11
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd go so far as to say, those look unsafe.
Not all steel is created equal, that's for damn sure.
Guess which country notoriously makes the shoddiest steel?
Which country also has the cheapest labor force? Oh ya, same place.

www.360realms.com/S13-S15
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #12
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
i wouldnt get them, ebay stuff isnt good at all. the springs are probably made cheap and youll find your self acouple weeks after you got them on the side of the road with your panic lights calling a tow truck because one of your wheels caved in do to the spring. if got stock suspension right now. im just gonna save up for coilovers. once you finally get coilovers youll wish you never spent money on cheap springs because you could of had them earlier if you didnt spend your money on cheaper stuff. my .02
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #13
kickeachverse
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS!3
i wouldnt get them, ebay stuff isnt good at all. the springs are probably made cheap and youll find your self acouple weeks after you got them on the side of the road with your panic lights calling a tow truck because one of your wheels caved in do to the spring. if got stock suspension right now. im just gonna save up for coilovers. once you finally get coilovers youll wish you never spent money on cheap springs because you could of had them earlier if you didnt spend your money on cheaper stuff. my .02
Word. That makes alot of sense. Well thanks for the feedback guys. I'm just gonna roll on what i got now. Maybe buy some other lowering springs such as S. Tech and use my stock shocks. Then save up for Coilovers. What are the cheapest, and by cheapest i mean price, Coilovers i can get that aren't all busted and generic like the no name ones.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:12 PM   #14
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Yes, save up. KTS or SilkRoad will be your cheapest/best bet. $1400 price range.. or the ever so popular Megan. But personally, KTS or SilkRoad if your budget is limiting. Or Stance, I <3 my stances. Now go do some research on 'em.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:49 PM   #15
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
cutting your springs in the first place was retarded, go buy a fucking honda.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #16
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
ive heard megan are pretty good and there not that expensive. if you wanna go a little cheaper go with a set and get the kyb agx and the eibach springs. but coilovers are the way to go, just go search around the internet and see the prices you can find.
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #17
kickeachverse
Zilvia Member

Cool. Thanks for the positive feedback guys. mjjstang, go eat a dick. PEACE!
Old 05-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #18
tre
Zilvia Junkie

tre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enough
Number 1 Cup kit. 450lbs front 350lbs rear springs. leave the front pearch off. and smash the rear one all the way down.

120 bucks. Simple is as simple does. I just stepped up to a 450lbs rear and a tanabe front sway. Car handles great. (car is also stirpped)
Old 05-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #19
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'd say buy used name brand coilovers. Even if you have to repair them before you install, you'll know what it's like when you blow one yourself. You just have to choose you brand wisely.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #20
kickeachverse
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
Number 1 Cup kit.
What's that?
Old 05-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #21
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
No Number 1 Cup kit or Megan POS coils. If you compromise in suspension, you will be slow.

If you want your car to actually handle rather than give the false impression of handling, save up and buy something Stance-quality or higher. Anything that costs less than $250/corner is way too cheap.

Your first problem was cutting your springs. Don't screw up further by pairing a damper with spring rates for which it was not intended. You live in SD. Show up at Fusion in Clairemont this Thursday at 8 and we'll talk suspension.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:56 PM   #22
kickeachverse
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree
No Number 1 Cup kit or Megan POS coils. If you compromise in suspension, you will be slow.

If you want your car to actually handle rather than give the false impression of handling, save up and buy something Stance-quality or higher. Anything that costs less than $250/corner is way too cheap.

Your first problem was cutting your springs. Don't screw up further by pairing a damper with spring rates for which it was not intended. You live in SD. Show up at Fusion in Clairemont this Thursday at 8 and we'll talk suspension.
You make a really good point. Yeah it was a mistake to do that in the first place. Gotta live with it for now i guess. Word. I don't know where Fusion is but i'm down to meet. Is there a 240 meet or something. If i do roll i can't drive my car. It's out of commission for now until i replace my waterpump. Haha. Got aim? pm me with your sn yo. PEACE. Once again thanks everybody for the positive feedbacks.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:28 PM   #23
tre
Zilvia Junkie

tre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enough
Weird. People are usually impressed with my suspension set up. Guess you just need to know how to tune instead of buying all goodies and expecting it to work ^_^
Old 05-15-2006, 04:33 PM   #24
tre
Zilvia Junkie

WOW coilovers for HALF the price and JUST as good

[quote name='GT2' date='May 14 2006, 09:01 AM' post='623613']
Koni struts ( unlike Bilstiens ) have a smaller body diameter so they will accept standard " large body" coil over sleeves.
Starting with a perfectly good Koni sport adj shock, cut a slice in the lower spring seat. Cut it on the side that has the small hole in it. I used a chop saw, but a hack saw (etc) will work also. Cut right up to the little hole.

Using a small disc grinder, grind a shallow grove around the seat just under the weld. Dont go too deep or you will score the actual strut body! I'm guessing I went about 1.5 sixteenths deep. Your not trying to go all the way thru the seat!
Now using a small sharp chisel connect the grove to the small hole in the spring seat. Dont chisel straight into the strut, you dont want to dent the body! Chisel in a downward direction.

Hammer up and down ( gently but firmly ) on one edge of the seat untill your grove starts to crack. Continue hammering around the seat untill it is loose.

Using a pair of channel locks or vice grips etc., twist and deform the loose seat enough to open up the hole so it will slide up and off.
Using your angle grinder, grind the weld down to a height that is just small enough to let the coilover sleave slide over it. Spray some paint over the raw metal to prevent rust.

Sleeve test fit on strut. Yes you just let it sit on top of the sway link bracket!

Now to make the upper spring seat and to modify the stock upper spring seat. Look here:http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?s...ering+the+front

Screw the new lower spring seat down the sleve. They have a nifty set screw with a plastic tip on it for locking the seat in place.

Take your stock strut bump stop and cut it in half, saving the top part. I used a razor knife.

More to follow!
[/quote]
[quote name='GT2' date='May 14 2006, 10:01 AM' post='623650']
Ok assembly time. We have the strut with our coilover sleeve and lower seat on it. Then slide the modifyed bump stop on the shaft, then the spring and upper seat, then the modifyed stock upper seat and the rest of the stock hardware.

Here it is installed, and with the stock Columbia and 205/55/16" tires notice there is only about .25" clearance. This is fine unless you have different back spaced wheels or wider tires. If so, you can use 8" springs that will move the lower seat up over the height of the tire.

Heres how the car sits using 10" springs ( its level + or- .125" ), thats as low as it will go. I dident want to go lower because I wanted to keep some good shock travel for when I'm at the track.
If you want it lower get 8" springs and slam it!

Costs:
New Koni Sport front struts: $338.00 from FPC Groton (got free shipping! just name droped VS!)
2 #20134 5" coil over sleeve :$25.90 from Afco
2 #20133 Adj. nut, lower seat :$30.94 from Afco
2 #23550 10"x 550# springs :$109.90 from Afco
Shipping $ 15.00
TTL:$519.74 + some misc materials. Not bad!! :P
You can buy directly from Afco, but I found a place on E-Bay with a little better price on the springs ( Race Mart L.C.)

Some notes:
The 550# springs are pretty stiff, but I found the 10"ers give a little better ride than 8" springs.
If you go this stiff on the front you will probably need to stiffen the rear springs and or sway bar to ballance the car.
I also have the drivers side jacked up .250" higher than the pass. side because of the 850's tendency to be low there.
Happy fabin!
[/quote]
Old 05-15-2006, 05:43 PM   #25
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
That's some sick fab work...
Old 05-15-2006, 09:16 PM   #26
tre
Zilvia Junkie

dad did all that. I'm bout to do that with teh 240.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:37 PM   #27
chrisstroud

chrisstroud is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to chrisstroud
That's pretty standard fare for lots of people.
I have known people who bought shitty Ebay coilovers for the sleeves, put them on Koni DAs and used Hypercoils, Carrera or Eibach/GC spring in whatever rate and free length they need.
I'd not use anything less than Carrera or GC sleeves on a welded collar or snap ring, the ebay parts are of terrible quality.
chrisstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:03 PM   #28
OptionZero
Post Whore!

OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
are the konis rated to those spring rates, or is it a guess and match job?

still no pillow ball mounts or height adjustble bottoms...although its cheap
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:12 PM   #29
chrisstroud

chrisstroud is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to chrisstroud
Well, you only get height adjustment through the spring perches but they can be revalved by Truechoice or any one of many companies.
Koni DAs are pretty popular, that's the setup a lot of IT racers and autocrossers use.
If I can ever find an S13 I like, I plan on saving up for the good stuff.
I've done enough half-assed stuff to know that it never works well enough for me.
chrisstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:16 PM   #30
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
Weird. People are usually impressed with my suspension set up. Guess you just need to know how to tune instead of buying all goodies and expecting it to work ^_^
:ghey:

Puleeze. Before you run your mouth like you know anything about anyone, consider that they may have more track miles than you and/or have spent literally days poring over suspension theory to better their handling and set up their adjustable links correctly. I know it's hard to believe, but some of us are more interested in being fast through corners than anything else.

If collars were just as good, don't you think BTCC/SCCA GT/JGTC cars would run them since they're less complex?
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote