Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #271
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomentumGT View Post
The bushings will help and you will notice a difference...but not that much in gaining more rear squat coming out the corners. Ultimately...you want to have the rear lower controll arms flat...kind of parrallel with the flat road, sorry for the bad description, to get the ass dumped and planted while accelerating out of the corner. The XS R32 had this modification done to it and its a work of art. Coming out of corners the front inside wheel would lift off the floor while the rear tires dig into the asphalt. The R32 and the s13 have very similar, in measuremnts and specs, subframe rear ends and suspension so I know it can be done. I talk with the designer/modifier for the suspension of the XS R32 during NASA events lasts year and he suggested we do the same as it looked like we were doing a drift event in the middle of a race a couple times last season.

The s15 rear sub swap is a cheaper and lesser hassle alternative vs. really modifying the existing s13 sub, but even the s15 sub won't make the lower controll arms sit flat just flatter. It also pushes the rear wheels 10mm farther out as the bushings don't completely line up.

-Jon
It really wouldn't be THAT difficult to move the RLCA mounting points on the subframe a bit, especially since I already have one out of the car. I'll have to take some measurements to see how far they would have to move. I really think you would want to keep a bit of anti-squat in the rear, you just don't want the utterly ridiculous amount of anti squat that is engineered into the subframe. I think it would be better to run a sway bar in the rear if you can get away with it too. The problem is that almost nobody makes adjustable sway bars, and the whole purpose of a sway bar is REALLY to adjust the over/understeer balance of the car slightly. The whiteline bars are pretty much the only option that I have seen that has both front and rear adjustability, but the front bar won't clear my ultra racing front underbrace (which I would like to keep if it is at all possible). Thanks for the pointer on the control arm mounts, I'll check that out for sure.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #272
MomentumGT
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (0)
MomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I thought Progress also made an adjustable front and rear swaybar kit. If you're interested I can give you a quote later today.

-Jon

momentumgt.com - "building blocks of speed"
MomentumGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #273
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WhiteGLX Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteGLX
BAm this season is goin to be great over here on the east coast guys. Just got my car tuned today on a dyno for the first time in 2 years after all street tuning.

suspension will be assembled in a week and dialed in.

bumper brackets will be made and fitted in about 2 weeks.

oh dyno yeilded 270whp 220 torque at 12psi on my S15 T28. Dyno numbers dont usually mean dick to me, but im excited since its the first time in the past 2 years with tracking this car that i actualy have a number instead of a guess. Deff goin to scoot along now, toques holds pretty good to redline, only drops about 10-20 ft/lbs. over 2k rpm after it peaks.

ill have a nice little chart to post soon enough, assuming my buddy rememberes to email it to me.

***NASA HPDE Instructor***
WhiteGLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #274
Paul2x
Zilvia Addict

Paul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond reputePaul2x has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Paul2x
nice #'s for 12psi

I love my factory turbo great all around turbo.

Are you still running stock cam's/head?

Professional Driver/ Instructor for Hire
Paul2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #275
bungl3

bungl3 is making a name for him/her selfbungl3 is making a name for him/her self
s14 rear subframe is sooooo much better thsn s13, the btm arms are at a much better angle and are flatter......hole centres on the subframe mountings are sliightly wider but this can be done with some custom alluminium subframe bushes....i think the difference is only 5mm.

the weston performance car in EDC had this dont last year
bungl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #276
bungl3

bungl3 is making a name for him/her selfbungl3 is making a name for him/her self
some pics of the shell swap i did on mine last week ready for the 08 season.....still lots to do though sadly

copied straight over from sxoc so apologies if some of the text doesnt make sense

right then the shell swap!
started off with my old shell being trailered down to sideways dannys barn/workshop

and then we stripped it down

ooh erm i wasnt doing anything........

my favourite part of the week!

kiz enjoying my recaro a little too much

engine had to come out which meant removing the gearbox drain plug for the very first time......turns out itd had a hard life as not only was there all this fur but several large lumps also came out

then engine out so time for ghey pic

then the rest of the front end comes off

Old 03-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #277
bungl3

then we had a little accident.........and also discovered how rusty my shell really was!

so anyway after that it was time to get the rear subframe off and grab the bits i needed from it

then hammer time

and the left over pile of bits
Old 03-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #278
bungl3

next day was a long drive for me from northampton to norfolk to get the new shell (mucho thanks to lee for helping me bolt everything up!)

then danny and i had to apply some MAN and drag a half ton shell onto the car trailer so i could take it to the metal recyclers

then the new shell came in to be stripped of looking beautiful for a lot of welding

taped on wide rear arches

cage propped in for photos sake

then i got busy with an angle grinder so that it was ready for when danny got back to weld

and welded

Old 03-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #279
bungl3

then the cage had to go in properly and boy was it a poor fit!

and i had to see what this looked like

rear strut brace welded in

and then i fitted my 4inch intercooler but forgot to take pics except the on byebye posted earlier

as you can see from the last pic its sat on a nice bit of inch box section which should help stiffen up the front end
then lots of trim hacking so it fitted round the cage

Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 AM   #280
bungl3

also started to remove the rear seat supports to allow access for seam welding there, sadly we lost power on the last night of work we had available and as such we didnt get it finished

the last saturday of the week was a mega depressing one for me as it was time for the shell to go to the metal recyclers

though it turns out it weighed half a ton so i got £48 for it
then on the sunday we had a mad rush to get everything packed up so i could go home

and back home where it is to come back to pieces to have a bit more welding done and the bushes fitted along with some btm arm modifications
Old 03-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #281
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
That really is a pretty good build and it looks like you are doing good work, but it just doesn't belong in this thread. If you wanna show-off your build you should write up a build thread. This thread is for discussion of track/autocross set-ups and pics of your car actually on the track, and NOT DRIFTING.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:17 AM   #282
Aoshi112
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Aoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aoshi112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomentumGT View Post
I thought Progress also made an adjustable front and rear swaybar kit. If you're interested I can give you a quote later today.

-Jon
They do, they're just on severe backorder. If you can get some let me know!
Aoshi112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:20 AM   #283
bungl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
That really is a pretty good build and it looks like you are doing good work, but it just doesn't belong in this thread. If you wanna show-off your build you should write up a build thread. This thread is for discussion of track/autocross set-ups and pics of your car actually on the track, and NOT DRIFTING.
sorry dude was just showing what we did last week......mines a track car not a drift car AT ALL

all this work is to enter time attack so i thought you guys might be interested...........
Old 03-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #284
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
ACTUALLY thats not what this thread was intended for at all....this thread was started years ago as my build thread with pics and video from my track events and photos to document the progress change of my car as my skill level changed. It has changed and been overtaken the last couple pages, but its ok as long as discussions dont turn into rants, petty rambling and mostly aims towards car setups for grip....

if anyone notices the first 8 pgs are all me, old shit from long time ago. I like seeing the work everyone is doing, id much rathe rsee mroe videos and general setup improvements instead of bickering over track times though...

Old 03-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #285
bungl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGLX View Post
ACTUALLY thats not what this thread was intended for at all....this thread was started years ago as my build thread with pics and video from my track events and photos to document the progress change of my car as my skill level changed. It has changed and been overtaken the last couple pages, but its ok as long as discussions dont turn into rants, petty rambling and mostly aims towards car setups for grip....

if anyone notices the first 8 pgs are all me, old shit from long time ago. I like seeing the work everyone is doing, id much rathe rsee mroe videos and general setup improvements instead of bickering over track times though...
i had noticed that all the early pages were build pics hence why i threw my few in here

some lovely lovely work btw!

edit: hows the modifications to the ohlins coming along? i think my rears need rebuilding

also your cooler set up was part of the inspiration towards my current location
Old 03-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #286
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:

What bickering? It was a simple conversation. You are the only one who seems to have gotten pissed off by it. Besides lap times are the only way to actually measure the progress of yourself as a driver and your car. Just get over it dude.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #287
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

ohlins cant be modified, the GC sleevs will not fit over hte massive shock bodies. So i just went through alot of trouble to get the stiffest stock style springs i could find, we will see how they do come the end of this month.

DYNO SHEETTTT!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #288
racepar1
Post Whore!

Wait..... You're still using the ohlins? I thought you sold them, I saw them advertised. The stiffest stock style springs I have seen are the rsr race springs. 5 front 4.5 rear I believe.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #289
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

no one wants to buy them...so i might as well use them....

i have found sprinsg that are 6k 4.4k, just trying to varify how they will fit or even lower the car any more then it is....

Old 03-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #290
bungl3

6 4 should be fine at your power level though personally i think you should go with the 8 6 that come with the ohlins
Old 03-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #291
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

the ohlins springs these came with certainly were not 8/6....more like 180 lb and 165 lb.....WEAK!

power level doesnt have anything to do with spring rate. I want to run 7/5 because otherwise things are getting. I have been running on crappy spring rates for 3 years now (all track time) just so i could get more used to the car and how it behaved in a heavily shifting manner. Now that i am extreamly used to it and consistantly use it to my advantage on track its time to upgrade. Even if i had 5000hp a spring rate of 8/6, 7/5, 6/4 is all dependent on the driver and how they can handle the car and its reactions to throttle and steering inputs.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #292
s13speeddrft
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
s13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13speeddrft
so I have been searching and looking into suspension setups as I am going to be upgrading sometime soon. I have been looking in this thread mainly and the ground control thread because you guys seem to have the most knowledge about setups that actually perfrom. I just have a few question dealing with adjustable arms. When are adjustable arms actually necessary and which ones are necessary? I am looking at a koni and ground control setup but am trying to figure out the rest. Also for those on cali where would you be able to get an alignment done if you have adjustable arms? thanks for any info. Also this would be fr road race/autocross applications.

*Junkyard Scavenger*
s13speeddrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #293
racepar1
Post Whore!

As far as alignments go it is Darrin at west end alignment or fail! Darrin is the man! He's the only person I would trust to align my car. For corner weight and align he charges like $220, and it is WELL worth it. Just alignment is $90 I believe. The REALLY necessary arms are tension rods, RUCA's, and toe arms. If you really want to track/autocross your car though I would reccomend the trac arms as well though. If you shorten them up it helps the car "dig in" off the corner a bit more, which 240's really need. Make sure you at least get the subframe bushing collars and energy polyurethane bushings as well. It is also a good idea to get stronger tie rods as well as the s-13 tie rods are known to break. You don't need the bumpsteer adjustable ones unless you do something to correct the roll center in the front of the car.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #294
s13speeddrft
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
s13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13speeddrft
great info just the kind of solid answer i needed

*Junkyard Scavenger*
s13speeddrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #295
S14SwimShark105
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
S14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her selfS14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to S14SwimShark105
So I was at willow springs yesterday with Oli Thordarson that drives a slightly modified corvette who made a post on page 9, we were at streets of willow going clockwise with blowby and skidpad and he ran a 1:23 on race tires that weren't gripping all that well. you can't really imagine how fast or crazy it was riding along with him, you can only imagine haha he is a great driver no doubt one of the best i've ever seen. just wanted to put it out there for some of the people that didn't believe 1:25 and under were possible on a slightly modified car
Old 03-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #296
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

a corvett with r-comps doesnt count as a "slightly modified car", they are already so much more capable than 95% of factory dressed cars. Suspension is half decent, especially if its a newer corvette, brakes, wheels width, power, etc... Take a plymouth laser and slightly modidy it.....then we are talking, or even a 240, or an EVO, WRX, etc....all way under developed than most stock trim corvettes.

im not a corvette lover or anythign guys, just realize how capable they are with just tires, i have talked to and been on track with many vettes and most of them have had just tires and brake pads....

Old 03-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #297
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
a corvett with r-comps doesnt count as a "slightly modified car", they are already so much more capable than 95% of factory dressed cars. Suspension is half decent, especially if its a newer corvette, brakes, wheels width, power, etc... Take a plymouth laser and slightly modidy it.....then we are talking, or even a 240, or an EVO, WRX, etc....all way under developed than most stock trim corvettes.

im not a corvette lover or anythign guys, just realize how capable they are with just tires, i have talked to and been on track with many vettes and most of them have had just tires and brake pads....
I'll second that. Corvettes are tuned well from the factory.

Cars I would like to have stock and never modify: ITR, Evo RS, Z06, GT3.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #298
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

thats a very steady upgrade in quality.....ITR i would remove, not a great track car from factory nor very fast....to keep things within a reasonable price range id stick with Z06, EVO RS, STI, Elise, not much else off the top of my head i would choose and keep in the reasonable new factory price range.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #299
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

UPDATE!!!!

Suspension is done
Camber - -2* F/R
Caster - 6.5* F (not adjustable)
Toe - 0* F/R

all new ES bushings, sway bar links, Ohlins suspension and soon to be Cobalt XR2 brake pads. We will see how the suspension feels once i can get out on the road later today or tomarrow and moe it around a little to findout if there is anything wrong. I should be just fine, but i cant make that promise to myself anf just hope for the best.

I am attending the NASA MA instructor clinic next friday and instruting for my first time that very same weekend at VIR. I am very excited and nervous at the same time. We ill see how everything goes, i should have some good video from Sat/Sun as well as Traqmate Data Aquisition for helping me improve my line and corner speeds, etc...

Be ready for alot of information after next weekend. Its going to be good.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #300
a_ahmed
BANNED

a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
videos are good check what i sent u, join there u'll be welcome
a_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote