Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #151
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The most likely reason for a turbo version is that manufacturers are using it more and more to get better fuel efficiency out of their vehicle lineups. Better MPG and powerband, its a win win!

For the record I love Rocket Bunny and you better hope that all of the Japan aftermarket jumps on this regardless whether you like the style or not.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #152
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
I wonder if Nissan will use a variant of their new turbo 3 cylinder they are using in the le mans car...

The le mans version weighs only 88 lbs and chucks out 400 hp....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #153
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by word sux View Post
I wonder if Nissan will use a variant of their new turbo 3 cylinder they are using in the le mans car...

The le mans version weighs only 88 lbs and chucks out 400 hp....
No.

I'm willing to bet that Le Man's engine is designed to survive 1 race, only makes power at red line, gets horrible gas mileage and can't pass emissions.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 AM   #154
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
At 80 pounds that thing doesn't have the mass to deal with any amount of wear or vibration.

I do think that engine does show us that we can expect a very light weight engine in comparison to what we are used too.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #155
signals13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (16)
signals13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Besides it being 80 lbs and having 400 hp it kind of sucks seeing those low torque numbers at only 240 lb that's not the torque I'm looking for at all especially having a torquy KA-T I'm used to.
signals13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #156
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals13 View Post
Besides it being 80 lbs and having 400 hp it kind of sucks seeing those low torque numbers at only 240 lb that's not the torque I'm looking for at all especially having a torquy KA-T I'm used to.
Buy a Vette
Old 02-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #157
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Buy a Mustang
Fixed that for ya.

I 100% with corbic on the 3 cylinder. No way in hell that will be an engine choice.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #158
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Mechanical leverage.
If it revs high and has a good amount of hp the torque numbers are misleading.

Horse power is a measure of work done and that number never lies.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #159
Taniguchi_Is_#1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
Taniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I wonder if Nissan will use a rebadged version of the Mercedes 1.5L F1 engine/transmission combo in the IDx? It's been rumored that Nissans will start to use more Mercedes drivetrains in the future, and 1.5L, turbo, and a 8 speed transmission make sense for this car.

Sent from Lala land while goofing off at work
Taniguchi_Is_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #160
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
^^^Thats a joke, right? An F1 engine in a sub $30k production car? One of those engine alone is probably worth more than $30k.
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #161
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
Here are some photos I took from Super Car Sunday at Woodland Hills, CA during the IDx in SoCal tour

Quirky but aggressive

Awesome approach to using jeans as a seat material

More here on IDxClub.co
EchoOfSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #162
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
and David makes his first appearance here in years. I take it you are taking an interest in this car Dave. Quick question how did the Super Car fans take to it?

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #163
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Putting that bucktoothed bezel around the logo really detracts from the lines of the IDx. It is clearly an after thought on the Nismo but on the Freeflow it runs the cleanliness of the front end.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #164
Taniguchi_Is_#1
Post Whore!

Taniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
^^^Thats a joke, right? An F1 engine in a sub $30k production car? One of those engine alone is probably worth more than $30k.
Yes, I was being facetious about that comment above on the possibility of putting race car engines into production vehicles.

But on a more serious Mercedes/Renault/Nissan drivetrain sharing note, the current gen Mercedes SLK is available with a 1.8L turbo (good for 201hp in current form) and a 6 spd manual. It would be a quick solution for a powertrain that's already configured for RWD.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #165
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
^^^I dunno... I think I'd rather have Nissan's 1.6t with 197hp than a 1.8L N/A with 200hp. Easier to make faster, of course, but I would also imagine the parts for the 1.8L MB engine would be more pricey than the Nissan 1.6t engine parts.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #166
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
^^^I dunno... I think I'd rather have Nissan's 1.6t with 197hp than a 1.8L N/A with 200hp. Easier to make faster, of course, but I would also imagine the parts for the 1.8L MB engine would be more pricey than the Nissan 1.6t engine parts.
The Benz is turbo.

The Benz engine would also cost more because I expect it would have a much better NVH rating.

I'd honestly have to see a dyno graph of both, an exhaust clip and MPG estimate in order to make a decision.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #167
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't mind navy blue seats, but not feeling denim material or look.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #168
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

210 out of a 1.8 turbo seems rather crap. I'd rather have a bigger I4 that was NA.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #169
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
The Benz is turbo.

The Benz engine would also cost more because I expect it would have a much better NVH rating.

I'd honestly have to see a dyno graph of both, an exhaust clip and MPG estimate in order to make a decision.
Great points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnnr View Post
I wouldn't mind navy blue seats, but not feeling denim material or look.
I get the impression the demin isn't going to make production anyway. Is it really durable enough to be a car seat? Yeah, blue jeans are sturdy, but you don't put your ass in the same pair everyday... Or if you do, I wouldn't expect them to last very long.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #170
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Great points.

I get the impression the demin isn't going to make production anyway. Is it really durable enough to be a car seat? Yeah, blue jeans are sturdy, but you don't put your ass in the same pair everyday... Or if you do, I wouldn't expect them to last very long.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #171
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^Awww HELL Naw!

IDX better get that shit outta here... lol

ROFLMAO @ the 12k mile/1 year warranty!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #172
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
^^^Awww HELL Naw!

Inline 6
RWD
Hatch
Small
Cheap

...what's not to like?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #173
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
^^^Awww HELL Naw!

Holy shit that's a real Taillight Warranty.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #174
Taniguchi_Is_#1
Post Whore!

Quote:
The Benz is turbo.

Cost-wise, I think the sticking point will be economy of scale on a costlier powertrain vs. redevelopment cost of an existing powertrain. As it stands, I think you can only get an MR16 in a tranverse mounting, so gearbox development/flipping the engine will incur some design and development costs that may or may not be feasible for a standalone application.

Another Benz argument is that the SLK is roughly the same size as the iDX, and is likely due for a refresh around that time period. With some retooling, it may be possible to do some platform sharing between the cars (2 seater vs 2+2, coupe vs convertible), again with economy of scale could be a driver. On top of that, it could increases the possible product line for both vehicles (SLK coupe, iDX convertible), increasing their potential value.

The Toybaru only became feasible when the two companies agreed on joint development (also happening with the Miata/Alfa Spider redesign), so I'm not sure if a vehicle like this can stand on its own in the current market. The Benz tie up is the only logical partner in my mind, if 2016 is a target, when comparing the product lines between Renault, Nissan, Infiniti, and Mercedes.

Just thinking out loud, though.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #175
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniguchi_Is_#1 View Post
Cost-wise, I think the sticking point will be economy of scale on a costlier powertrain vs. redevelopment cost of an existing powertrain. As it stands, I think you can only get an MR16 in a tranverse mounting, so gearbox development/flipping the engine will incur some design and development costs that may or may not be feasible for a standalone application.

Another Benz argument is that the SLK is roughly the same size as the iDX, and is likely due for a refresh around that time period. With some retooling, it may be possible to do some platform sharing between the cars (2 seater vs 2+2, coupe vs convertible), again with economy of scale could be a driver. On top of that, it could increases the possible product line for both vehicles (SLK coupe, iDX convertible), increasing their potential value.

The Toybaru only became feasible when the two companies agreed on joint development (also happening with the Miata/Alfa Spider redesign), so I'm not sure if a vehicle like this can stand on its own in the current market. The Benz tie up is the only logical partner in my mind, if 2016 is a target, when comparing the product lines between Renault, Nissan, Infiniti, and Mercedes.

Hmmm. Interesting ideas.

Quote:
Inline 6
RWD
Hatch
Small
Cheap

...what's not to like?
Do not want.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #176
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniguchi_Is_#1 View Post

I have to disagree. The SLK is a nearly $50k luxury sports car. A lot of that money is the engine and chassis development. They are not designing the car just for performance but also for NVH and all those "luxury" feels.

Trying to share the chassis will work as well as the G35/7 and the Z. MB will also be conscious of being criticized for having a $50k coupe ride a $24k car chassis. MB also doesn't need to justify the SLK, it's a staple in their line up and it's already a hard-top convertible. There will be no coupe in the future.

To make the MR or HR engine RWD may only require new block casting. They may also have other plans with Renault. Maybe Renault even has RWD plans.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #177
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Do not want.

How about now?

Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #178
Taniguchi_Is_#1
Post Whore!

Quote:
I have to disagree. The SLK is a nearly $50k luxury sports car. A lot of that money is the engine and chassis development. They are not designing the car just for performance but also for NVH and all those "luxury" feels.

Trying to share the chassis will work as well as the G35/7 and the Z. MB will also be conscious of being criticized for having a $50k coupe ride a $24k car chassis. MB also doesn't need to justify the SLK, it's a staple in their line up and it's already a hard-top convertible. There will be no coupe in the future.

To make the MR or HR engine RWD may only require new block casting. They may also have other plans with Renault. Maybe Renault even has RWD plans.
Keep in mind, though, that Z's and G's are all in that same-ish price bracket of the Benzes (high 30-50K). Also, with the iDx looking like it will be just a bit smaller than the Z in overall length, wheelbase, and width, it falls into that gray area that Nissan doesn't want to go, where buyers will start to internally cross-shop the iDx with the Z because it is cheaper and has more space. Granted, I do agree that the SLK doesn't really need to have justification, and I didn't think about the fact that the SLK already shares a platform with the C-class, so Nissan might as well just use a modified FM.

On the Renault possibilities, it's a tough call. With the European car market being very poor over the last few years, I don't know if it would be feasible to try for a new small sports coupe, especially since an iDx could fill that gap in that market. No point in competing against yourself for sales.

I dunno. Lots of things to speculate on a this point, which is half the fun.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #179
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

It isn't competing with yourself when it is just two different brands of the same thing. If you moved a car you moved a car.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #180
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
It isn't competing with yourself when it is just two different brands of the same thing. If you moved a car you moved a car.
Also Nissan dies not sell very well in Europe, Renault would be a more natural choice for them.