Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-24-2004, 01:14 PM   #1
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
mr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mr_240sx Send a message via MSN to mr_240sx
Tein Flex, Tein HE's and Tanabe Sustec Pro DD

Hi guys,
i would like if i could get the pros and cons of these 3 coil-overs. i have narrowed down my choices to those 3. any imput on those would be greatly appreciated.
tks in advance

PS: i would use these coil-overs in a daily driven car which would also be my week-end drifter!
mr_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
driftracer
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (0)
driftracer is making a name for him/her selfdriftracer is making a name for him/her selfdriftracer is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftracer Send a message via MSN to driftracer
I can speak for the Tein HE coilovers. I have had them on for 5 months now and I love them. They are much stiffer than stock. I use them for daily driving as well, and I am okay with the harshness. I am not sure what would be comfortable for you. Also, I posted a link to the review setup by members here on the Tein HE coilovers. I would probably search for reviews on the other two you asked about, as they have all probably been discussed on here at some time.

http://www.zilvia.net/reviews/showpr...7&cat=9&page=1
driftracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:43 PM   #3
nightwalker
Nissanaholic!

nightwalker is an unknown quantity at this point
you have a flame suit? better put it on.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
The Riot Hero
Banned from the Marketplace

The Riot Hero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to The Riot Hero Send a message via Yahoo to The Riot Hero
i used to like teins before i drove some cars with high line coilovers, apexi, zeal, tanabe, etc.

IMO the teins are kinda crappy, but good for the price, flexes are junk, the HEs are good value but i dont really like them.

for the price range of around 1100 i would go KTS over the teins anyday.

the sustec pro DDs were awesome, i liked them alot, id suggest getting them over the HEs and flexes.
The Riot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:54 PM   #5
Johny5
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Johny5
haha, flex/he/pro DD, those 3 are not even in the same categories. its like here... crap/decent crap/ 10/8 rate break your teeth fucking awesomeness. i hope to god you don't go flex, i wouldn't suggest he for no inverted front monotube D: if i were you i'd start searching, my 3 choices were kts, silk road (section) or tanabe pro DD. due to cost i went with KTS also because kts do not have to be sent away to be rehauled. you can order a replacement shock and pop that bitch in. no downtime. basically, you can rehaul your KTS for $550 all 4 corners and do it yourself.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:46 PM   #6
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
i had tein on my s13
TOO SOFT

flex..weak i dont like that

dd..stiff!
im getting them for my s14 next month. woot!
10/8 kg..awesome
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:57 PM   #7
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

mr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfection
tks for the input guys...... i know that they are all in different classes but the reason why i asked is because i called my local speed shop and they are recommending me to get the tein flex. I have done the research and beleive that the tanabe sustec pro DD are what im looking for. I have been reading this forum for about 2 months now and noticed that nobody had the flex and most people had he's and kts and also the new megan racing coils.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:05 PM   #8
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Maeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura about
Listen to the douche-bagojangle

HE's suck. Way underdampered. They are very VERY uncomfortable and bouncy(I have them and hate them).
Tanabe however, from what i've heard is much better.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:01 PM   #9
pruto
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
pruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i don't understand how people narrow down product choices to 2 or 3 brand/types that are $300-600 apart in price. Its like saying i've narrowed down my power mod choices to APC pulleys, SR swap, and Tomei crate engine, what do you guys think?

what are you looking for in terms of stiffness, comfort, spring rate, how often do you drive street/track. do you have any idea how it feels to drive 6/5, 8/6, or 10/8 on the street? are you willing to sacrifice your ass for performance. does your girlfriend/mom mind if you turn your car into living nightmare?

a lot of people will answer depending on how they themselves drive/mod their car for. Like aaron, he is getting DD because his car is all drift, glutted, slammed, total extreme ghetto dori. 10/8 doesn't matter. He thinks HEs are crap for him cause well, he beats the shit out of his car and HEs can't take the beating. Flex are weak since they're 6/5 spring rate, meant for street, and too damn soft for major drift use. Are you the same way? something that isn't good enough for a crazy mofo may be good enough for you. 6/5 is plenty stiff for someone who isn't all too hardcore and enjoy comfy rides on the freeway. Its called Tein FLEX for a reason. and coilovers around the 1k range aren't all that, but they're the best bang for the buck.

i'm just saying, unless get coilovers for the EXACT purpose of some of these guys, then don't take internet talk as the be all end all decider. and god damn dude, narrow it to a price range before you make your choice. If you are willing to spend enough to buy DDs but want something more comfortable or less stiff or whatever, there are different choices in each price catagory, and all three are in different price catagories.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:49 PM   #10
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruto
i don't understand how people narrow down product choices to 2 or 3 brand/types that are $300-600 apart in price. Its like saying i've narrowed down my power mod choices to APC pulleys, SR swap, and Tomei crate engine, what do you guys think?

what are you looking for in terms of stiffness, comfort, spring rate, how often do you drive street/track. do you have any idea how it feels to drive 6/5, 8/6, or 10/8 on the street? are you willing to sacrifice your ass for performance. does your girlfriend/mom mind if you turn your car into living nightmare?

a lot of people will answer depending on how they themselves drive/mod their car for. Like aaron, he is getting DD because his car is all drift, glutted, slammed, total extreme ghetto dori. 10/8 doesn't matter. He thinks HEs are crap for him cause well, he beats the shit out of his car and HEs can't take the beating. Flex are weak since they're 6/5 spring rate, meant for street, and too damn soft for major drift use. Are you the same way? something that isn't good enough for a crazy mofo may be good enough for you. 6/5 is plenty stiff for someone who isn't all too hardcore and enjoy comfy rides on the freeway. Its called Tein FLEX for a reason. and coilovers around the 1k range aren't all that, but they're the best bang for the buck.

i'm just saying, unless get coilovers for the EXACT purpose of some of these guys, then don't take internet talk as the be all end all decider. and god damn dude, narrow it to a price range before you make your choice. If you are willing to spend enough to buy DDs but want something more comfortable or less stiff or whatever, there are different choices in each price catagory, and all three are in different price catagories.
At the moment i have KYB AGX with ground control coil sleeves, which i find WAY TOO SOFT! Like i said, my ride is street driven but I also use it for shows/drift competitions. I want a coil-over that i will be able to slam my ride to the point where my 17inch rims are tucked in the fenders, and that it will be stiff enough that when i hit a little crack in the road, the shock doesnt bottom out.

This winter i am completely striping the car down to metal from the front seats back. my plan is to put a 4 point roll-cage and make the car a ful drift car but to still have it street legal for those nice sunny afternoons

So from what i have seen out of the replies is that the tein flex are too soft and too weak for drift, and that the tein he's, if they are being hardcore drifted, may seen too soft. which leads me to the tanabe's.

The reason why i wanted input on these specific 3 coil-overs is because i have heard plenty of input on the kts and d2 and....... I was just wondering about these 3 coil-overs because they werent spoken about very much.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:43 PM   #11
Johny5
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Johny5
if you've got the money, splurge on the tanabe's dude. i went kts for my price range, i wish they offered 10/8 rates but spl sells nothing thats not tested or used by them so i've heard. 8/6 is decent. its not stiff enough for me, but its a good compromise.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:32 PM   #12
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

well i think thats what i will do, i wont take a chance with something that i might not be happy with so i will save up a few more pay checks and go with the tanabe's.
PS: I called my local speed shop that i usually deal with and they said that it will take them 2 months to get them in! whats up with that?