Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-15-2015, 09:58 PM   #31
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
Without the aid of a lever/left or any other assistance beside dem arm muscles, I wanna see it. I'll paypal you 1 dollar and 5 Drift Tengoku mags. (JDM Tight)
fo sho, let me just pull my entire engine out of my car, totally worth a dolla.
But ya next time I break something and have to pull it I'll take a pic and show you,
But I think its dangerous,
Because the internet would literally explode at the sight of my utter manliness
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2015, 10:00 PM   #32
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
why did starting useless threads become so popular?
Subtle i have a lsx post

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #33
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point

This is not a useless thread. The op asked why the hick swap gained some much popularity, and we (as in zilvia ) must help this lad.

The swap gained a lot of attention from all the hoonigays, that think drifting is about having more power than your opponent. You know, that way you could out run him, gain lead points and win the competition without actually showing any skill. Point simply, these damn hicks are the cancer of not only drifting, but the whole import. They whine and vape all day about how its more affordable, how its more reliable, but at the end of the day....there no different then the hicks who screw their sisters, because you know...the sister is right there. Why spend time going out side to meet a nice girl? SHE JUST MIGHT BE UNRELIABLE, EXPANSIVE AND TOUGH TO FIND CLOTHS FOR.
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:53 PM   #34
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
I dunno if it's just me but the whole concept of lsx swaps is pretty boring to me too. No wow factor to me. Drop it the v8 and a few bolt on and ur good to go.

Then there's for example a SR22VET set up. Stroked motor w/ forged pistons, VET head swap etc. w/ twin scroll turbo.

Big money system sure but amazing performance and a lot of wow factor .

Old 10-15-2015, 11:15 PM   #35
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Ilya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Because in California it is as close to of a legal swap as possible.
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:57 PM   #36
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboshoebox View Post
I dunno if it's just me but the whole concept of lsx swaps is pretty boring to me too. No wow factor to me. Drop it the v8 and a few bolt on and ur good to go.

Then there's for example a SR22VET set up. Stroked motor w/ forged pistons, VET head swap etc. w/ twin scroll turbo.

Big money system sure but amazing performance and a lot of wow factor .

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4941531574_2e50a0f8de.jpgMG]
What if you had a stroked, forged, boosted lsx? Would you not find that interesting?
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:58 PM   #37
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
What if you had a stroked, forged, boosted lsx? Would you not find that interesting?
Would be cool but not very exotic

Old 10-16-2015, 12:53 AM   #38
1988montecarloss
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
why did starting useless threads become so popular?
Thisssssssssssss
Old 10-16-2015, 05:47 AM   #39
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboshoebox View Post
Would be cool but not very exotic

So a stroked 3.4L JZ is exotic ( i am assuming) but a stroked twin turbo boosted LS motor is not im not with the LSX hype but you really cant deny how badass a twin turbo V8 setup is so again (im assuming) 1300hp isn't exotic anymore because its a LSX
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:27 AM   #40
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point
^Obviously not.To achieve that kind of power on a v8 is a lot easier and cheaper than a 4/6 cylinder. Not only that, $800 junk yard swaps are not exactly "exotic"
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:37 AM   #41
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Why so popular? Well according to a local C5 Z06 owner who knows everything about the LSx motor, you can pull a 5.3 LS truck motor for $500, twin turbo it and make over 1000HP without touching anything. I mean who can say "no" to that bro?

He also went on to say the reason GM upgraded the LS7 with extended cylinder bore, dry sump oil system and titanium head components was simply because they needed new features to sell the car.

Sadly he isn't joking.......
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:41 AM   #42
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Its popular because the ka was a "truck motor", and most hillbilly's put 4.8 5.3 and 6.0 iron blocks in which is also a motor found in a truck. We all know hillbilly's love trucks but they also like two fordy sx's. So it only makes sense to put a Merican truck motor in one instead of that pussy little 4 cylinder truck motor.
JM216S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #43
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatduece View Post
^Obviously not.To achieve that kind of power on a v8 is a lot easier and cheaper than a 4/6 cylinder. Not only that, $800 junk yard swaps are not exactly "exotic"
If you are building a truck or junk yard motor, i understand but a stroked LS isnt really cheap. Ultima GTRs run lS motors nowadays are they not exotic? im in no way trying to bash anyone who hates the LSx because i hate them too but pound for pound the low end tq especially from a built all motor LS is unrivaled Orido for example had the built ISF V8 only caused him grief switched to the LS i remember watching that vid of the shakedown happier then a pig in shit and it Wasn't even dialed in...
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:54 AM   #44
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Done the Ka-T, SR, and 2J thing. Loved each for different reasons. Main differences on my LS1 for me are:

-Simplicity of the LSx. It's like a dream to work on this setup cause it's so simple and robust. My unlces Tahoe with an LM7 hit 315k miles and the Trans blew up. Motor was pulled and put into a buddies turbo mustang setup and 5k miles later (untouched) and 550rwhp without a hiccup.
-Linear powerband
-Great stock power and 600rwhp is a sneeze on bone stock motors with ebay turbos for rather cheap.
-availability of parts. Run to any junkyard or auto parts store and find what you need. Blow up a block and pick one up for cheap...likely locally.

Not into drifting myself. This is a fun weekend car that will likely be FI in the future. For now I am ok with 300hp and 300 ft. Lbs. Dumped tons of cash into built SR and a stout 2J setup. At 31 years old I could care less about the exotic appeal. Been in the game since 2002....not too much I find exotic at this point. If you are into exotic that train left a long while ago. Not much which hasn't been done to the 240sx chassis though I can respect a well executed car regardless of the engine.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:26 AM   #45
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
all this is great for the LS, but your lucky if your hood closes.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #46
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Because torque. Most 4 or 6 cylinder engines will never make the kinds of torque the V8s do.

And also because the exhaust sounds are sexy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq1nwRIcOao

In case you still weren't sold
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z7g54lvLQ8
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #47
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
-Great stock power and 600rwhp is a sneeze on bone stock motors with ebay turbos for rather cheap.
Isn't that kinda like the anti-thesis of what Zilvia is all about though?
Anytime someone mentions ebay parts here it usually seems to get them rek'd
This whole ebay turbo, go to the junkyard/autozone, commit incest, and disregard the nissan love is straying greatly into hoonigan territory
Old 10-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #48
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
IMO, the LS is a very good platform, hard to beat for the money, etc etc etc. It's a fantastic swap for all kinds of purposes.

But for me personally, I just like the SR. I've had my SR for over 10 years, have put over 200k miles on it, beat the crap out of it, took it apart (had no issues when taken apart), built it, and am beating the crap out of it again. It's a very resilient motor as long as you aren't an idiot and bounce it off the rev limiter and do the proper maintenance and modifications for abuse. I've never had an issue with finding parts in a pinch (except a starter once, but now I keep a spare), and I have a pretty decent power band. I even beat an LS swapped FD for best TQ curve in a street competition a couple years back, ha ha. Doesn't really amount to anything, but it was funny.

All engine swaps have their pros and cons, with the LS being up top for best list of Pros for sure, but it's a little boring to me, and I'll keep my SR forever. It may not be "the best", but I like it.
Instagram: @SS.Maxey
2_Liter_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #49
S14kouki805
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
S14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I say whatever floats your boat, SR, JZ, LSX whatever, it's your money your build.

I will say however, that the SR was made for our chassis and should provide the best BALANCE. Personally if I wanted a V8 it would not be an LS but a new Coyote 5.0 in a newer Mustang (like it was meant to be), but I'm just not a big GM fan anyway.

Again your money your build, do whatever the hell you want.
S14kouki805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #50
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

@ S14 I agree....different strokes. Will say the LS1 for me isn't as exciting as the 700+rwhp 2J setup but then again in have less than half of the cost on that build into this new purchase. And that could be fixed very easily with some FI.

@Kashira....no Zilvia and the 240s scene has changed tremendously. Again to each their own it's their car. I think there is more to Hoonigan than being able to blow up a block and pick one up from a junkyard. Where are you getting your SRs, 2J, and RBs from...Japanese junkyards. Hoonigan represents something totally different as does the huge body kits, sparkle paint, 18x11 and 18x13 wheel culture. Not knocking it just not my thing. Check out Tarmac Motorsports and builds like SmellsLikeCurry. My buddies back in NY have LS power yet still very SChassis quality builds. The point is that a well executed style can be respected by anyone regardless of preference. I love watching quality builds. Trust me my new purchase is not Hoonigan with diff colored body panels and such.

As far as ebay parts...to each their own. I have seen LS setups with $350 ebay turbos churning major power. Personally I loved my BW S475 and would use it again. Look at all of the "knock off" parts in our scene today. Some people like named brand some people like cheap....
Old 10-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #51
shawn1331
Leaky Injector

shawn1331 is an unknown quantity at this point
I said it before I'll say it again. It's way more fun to watch a guy rev the piss out of a motor at 8k rpm and maintain speed through corners than watch someone power out. And same way when you're driving yourself.

V8 allows you to be sloppy and you have the torque and hp to make up for it at low rpms. If you miss a shift or bog down who cares, you'll come out better than the guy with the SR.

One of my favourite guys to watch locally is Pat Cyr. He's an FD driver but he has this missile car which I think is an AE86 with a stock or next to stock F20 swap and he beats the living hell out of the clutch with like 200hp. So much more fun to watch then a guy with 800ft/lbs.
shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #52
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Because its easy.....

Easy HP
Easy Torque
Easy part availability.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #53
NISR20MO
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (29)
NISR20MO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
To the kid who 'picked up' his SR. BS clown, maybe a bare block but you didn't pick up an assembled engine oil pan to head. If you were that beast, you would be like the bikini dudes hugging out their LS love on page 1 and you wouldn't be posting on this forum like all of us other dorks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatduece View Post
Where do you think an SR or RB or JZ or any JDM swap comes from? Do you think that an engine sold for 2k here didn't come out of a junkyard car in japan for a few hundred and ship for a few hundred more? (Just seent this was mentioned but yeah..)

Why is everyone so butthurt about this swap? At least an LS can keep it's rocker arms in place . My V8 doesn't have much done internally and it is safe to 8k RPM no problem so the rev comments are worthless, this isn't Honda-tech anyways. I haven't read everything mentioned so far but it has not been mentioned that with an LS you will pretty much automatically be stepping up the strength of the trans as well. And you can build it stronger if you need to. Something that doesn't automatically occur when you build an SR or KA up, and the trans options for the other common swaps are not leaps and bounds better without a somewhat hefty investment.

The aluminum LS engines are not heavy by any means and they sit pretty well in the bay. My DMAX and my stock hood close with no issue. The longtube headers for my V8 swap weighed 45 pounds, my turbo setup not including the intercooler weighs in the neighborhood of 55 pounds tops. I relocated the battery and fuse box to the inside of the car because my turbo takes up that real estate now. Not a huge deal, the intercooler is the only real weight gain, but then again the battery is not there either.

The nice thing about an LS is how modular everything is. The heads come off in 20 minutes or less each without any valvetrain or timing non-sense to mess with. You can build a setup w/ a low budget 5.3. And if you want more power you can turn around and sell it and add a few hundred bucks and get a 6.0. Get tired of that too? Sell it and invest some more money again and buy a built whatever LS based engine to put in there and each time you upgrade it is a few hundred bucks here and there. However, it is not necessarily cheap to boost an LS to 800hp, a quality fuel system is serious money. I've got decent money tied up in mine for sure.

There's quite a few positives to the swap, the choice you make depends on what you are doing. If I wanted 300hp though, I would have a S15 turbo'd S13 SR w/ externally gated stock mani like I used to have.
NISR20MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #54
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISR20MO View Post
To the kid who 'picked up' his SR. BS clown, maybe a bare block but you didn't pick up an assembled engine oil pan to head. If you were that beast, you would be like the bikini dudes hugging out their LS love on page 1 and you wouldn't be posting on this forum like all of us other dorks.
I balanced it on my throbbing sr20 fanboi erection,

Seriously though, minus intake and turbo, I didn't have an engine stand, so I made a table out of 2 oil drums and a flat board. Picked up the assembled engine, several times, even my father could pick it up.
Granted I didn't like toss it around or anything, but we did pick up the whole thing a bunch of times.
Have you ever picked up a freaking sr block and head? They aren't nearly as heavy as you guys are making it sound, you guys must just be little or something
If you look at the beginning of the DIW thread, theres a pic of the pink ranger guy? picking up the block and head, and you guys are all like hurting your back DIW! etc. Classic Zilvia
Old 10-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #55
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Even comparing my 2J fuel system to the one I had for the turbo 5.3 was cheaper. My 120 lbs/hr LS injector were $400 shipped (generic) vs. The FIC for 2J 1650cc I had for $1250 (granted I am an FIC fan). Things like my 2J GSC S2 cams were $900 vs a custom LS one for $400. My PT 6766 turbo was was $1200 for the 2J vs $650 for the BW for the 5.3. My 5.3 was Gen 3 with Gen 4 internals so 800 wasn't a concern.

Again, I loved my SR but loved my 2J more. With some not too expensive mods the LS heads can be revved above 7300 rpm. The 4.8 configuration loves boost without much work.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:09 PM   #56
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashira kureijii View Post
I balanced it on my throbbing sr20 fanboi erection,

Seriously though, minus intake and turbo, I didn't have an engine stand, so I made a table out of 2 oil drums and a flat board. Picked up the assembled engine, several times, even my father could pick it up.
You kind of made it sound like you picked it up out of the bay, or at least off the ground... If it's conveniently placed on a table, just about any 180lbs+ person should be able to lift an SR with no intake or exhaust manifold at least a few inches. Before some bitch ass kid texting and driving ran into me, I could pick an LS1 (aluminum block) up if it were on a table.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #57
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
You kind of made it sound like you picked it up out of the bay, or at least off the ground... If it's conveniently placed on a table, just about any 180lbs+ person should be able to lift an SR with no intake or exhaust manifold at least a few inches. Before some bitch ass kid texting and driving ran into me, I could pick an LS1 (aluminum block) up if it were on a table.
sorry, maybe I should have specified, it was more of like, We need to readjust the stand!, then we would sorta slide it into my arms and I would carry it while we like cleared the table and shit

I stand by my statements of being a badass though
Old 10-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #58
Skilz10179
Zilvia Member

Skilz10179 is an unknown quantity at this point
The answer is simple, drive a 400-500hp sr s-chassis car and then drive a 400-500hp lsx s-chassis. The choice will be clear...
Old 10-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #59
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilz10179 View Post
The answer is simple, drive a 400-500hp sr s-chassis car and then drive a 400-500hp lsx s-chassis. The choice will be clear...
some people like boost too much. I personally like the feel of v8 power band, but my roommate prefers boost.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #60
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
For me the main thing about any big swap outside of building my ka-t for 400-500whp is $$$ I could put maybe 3.5k in rebuilding my setup I have right now and it would be at 400whp easily but I feel for me to get close to 400whp on a ls1 the swap will cost 8-10k. Motor and trans bone stock is going to be 3k, any type of general replacement parts like gasket, seals, injectors, paint, coilpacks, clutch etc will be another 1k, then I still need mounts, driveshaft,wiring, oilpan and other conversion parts which is another 4k. Thats 8k for a swap and if you want to build the motor at all as far as ecu, cams, head work etc thats another 1-2k.

Im fine with my little four banger ka-t rebuild. Im not drifting the pissout of it. For 8-10k swap like a proper 2jz, rb25, or any v8, I might as well go use that as a downpayment for a clean GTR r32, sell my 240 for a good bit of drifttax because its immaculate and already a nice ka-t setup, buy a beater car and have myself the almighty godzilla.
R3b is offline   Reply With Quote