Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #31
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by need2speed94 View Post
I am used to cramped engine bays though, I had an LS1 Camaro and it was just as bad under the hood.
Quote:
I found out that the Z even being the NA model will be more expensive to insure than my LS1 Camaro.
Quote:
2. Automatics aren't for me. Hell, an automatic 240 would get worse gas milage than my 6 Speed LS1 Camaro.
Quote:
Well they aren't THAT bad... but put it like this, my 5.7L, 3600lb Camaro got 17 city 28 highway.
Seriously?

Want everybody's two cents? Don't get picky. Somebody posted a S14 that was automatic & you're acting like KA's get good mileage to begin with.

Since you're so mechanically inclined, a 5 speed swap could easily be done for that S14, found at your local pick a part according to you.

You sound like this kid I know named Dustin that annoys the hell out of me. Indecisive, impatient, and down right childish. If you hadn't noticed, you're shopping around for a near 20 year old car & expecting it to be golden by the time you get it.

Want a car that gets great miles and is easy to maintain? Get a Civic or a Camry.
For Sale #1 | For Sale #2
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #32
need2speed94
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
need2speed94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for all the input bad and good the good helped, the bad just gave me something to laugh at. And for all you asking yes I am young, get over it. And I am very indecisive/picky right now since I am going to have to pay for a new car, college tuition, and tools for college. I want to make the right choice can't blame me for that can ya? Hell if I was as old as you guys and had a full time rather than part time job I'd go pickup the CHEAPEST 240 on there and build her up myself. But like I said, limited on money, time, need a reliable car for work/college. I was just hoping to find a 240 that was in at least decent condition or up to par in what I want.

And as for the 2 cars... I went to look at the Z and man it was a bucket lol. Going to look at the 240 early Sunday. Warped Tour saturday
need2speed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #33
fyneyoungstunna
Zilvia Addict

fyneyoungstunna is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont feel like any REAL Z owners posted in this thread. So let me help you out.
Z gets decent gas mileage. There are things you can do to improve it, but like people have said, its no civic. A Zed will look better than a 240 every time hands down...unless its been riced out. They are no harder to work on than any other car. BUT, good luck finding a reputable mechanic to work on one, that wont charge you an arm and a leg.
Z's are not hard to bring back from the dead, depending whats wrong with them. However, It WILL cost you a pretty penny. Don't expect to make gobs of power from an NA without spending money. They are "fast" in their own rights though. They are comparable to an NSX: a car that was meant to be driven. Proper handling, feedback, and road-feel are all great qualities of a Z.
Your getting jipped on insurance quotes lol, I pay 80 a month on mine.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #34
JasianBlazin
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (24)
JasianBlazin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyneyoungstunna View Post
A Zed will look better than a 240 every time hands down
yeah, no.
JasianBlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #35
moth
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
moth is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
s13 dude, the 300 parts are expensive the engine bay is cramped, and the s13 is fun to work on and they pop up in junkyards far more frequently from my experience.
moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #36
moth
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
moth is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
and the z doesnt look better in my opinion neither, and it doesnt have +2 seats( if you want them)
moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #37
need2speed94
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I dont feel like any REAL Z owners posted in this thread. So let me help you out.
Z gets decent gas mileage. There are things you can do to improve it, but like people have said, its no civic. A Zed will look better than a 240 every time hands down...unless its been riced out. They are no harder to work on than any other car. BUT, good luck finding a reputable mechanic to work on one, that wont charge you an arm and a leg.
Z's are not hard to bring back from the dead, depending whats wrong with them. However, It WILL cost you a pretty penny. Don't expect to make gobs of power from an NA without spending money. They are "fast" in their own rights though. They are comparable to an NSX: a car that was meant to be driven. Proper handling, feedback, and road-feel are all great qualities of a Z.
Your getting jipped on insurance quotes lol, I pay 80 a month on mine.
The looks is strictly peoples' opinion. IMO the Z looks better. In this case, this one was just a pile that I don't have time to revive. As much as I wanted it, I had to deny it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moth View Post
s13 dude, the 300 parts are expensive the engine bay is cramped, and the s13 is fun to work on and they pop up in junkyards far more frequently from my experience.
Yeah I'm going to look at her on sunday. The Z was a big POS. The Z engine bay woudn't bother me too much, my old car was the same way. Compared to the 240 however it looks like a disaster lol. And yes, there are plenty of KA powered cars at both of my local pick n pull so if I ever needed parts I have them at my disposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moth View Post
and the z doesnt look better in my opinion neither, and it doesnt have +2 seats( if you want them)
I don't like the extra seats actually... Too many people ask for rides lol.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #38
Xplat
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Xplat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
then rip the back seats out
Xplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #39
need2speed94
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplat View Post
then rip the back seats out
I'm just saying I don't like the 2+2 model. It was a coupe ...well, what was left of a coupe hah.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #40
fyneyoungstunna
Zilvia Addict

A 240 will NEVER look this sexy:

17 or 18 x 12......

CANT TOUCH THIS
[IMG] GIFSoup[/IMG]
Old 06-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #41
fyneyoungstunna
Zilvia Addict

why you guys like monster truck?

(z is stock ride height, 240 is lowered)
skyline suv?

Camarowboat...

where Z go?

ok, im dont shit talking....but it was fun
Old 06-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #42
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Your a douche bag^.

On topic I've owned both and s13 is the way to go. Cheaper to maintain, parts easy to find, easy to wrench on
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #43
AndyG
Leaky Injector

AndyG is an unknown quantity at this point
I would go with the s13 for sure.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #44
fyneyoungstunna
Zilvia Addict

I talk a lot of shit, just cause I get bored sometimes.
Ok, on topic. Ill tell you the other side of my thoughts ( I know, I know, youd rather not hear them):

Nothing wrong with the 240sx. Hell, if i wasn't swamped with projects I would actually get a coupe and turn it into my semi-DD. They have a lot of pros over the 300zx....for a "tuner" car. 300zx still beats it as a sports car.
Its easier to work on
Parts are waaay more plentiful than Z parts.
I cant say that parts are cheaper, depending on what parts. Lets face it, the "drift tax" still affects the 240. Never hit the Z.
I am cautious of them cause if I decide to go to the mall, I might not be able to pick mine out from the crowd. (cheap jab lol)
Better in the winter.
Less of a pain to maintain.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #45
need2speed94
Leaky Injector

Play nice you guys lol. All nissan here haha. I went with the S13, got him to go down to 3k. Exterior is 9/10, missing antenna, good paint especially for a 240, bracket for left silvia turn signal broke so thats off for now (simple fix), interior is 7/10. The S14 kouki seats are really nice, I Hate the automatic seatbelts lol, needs a stereo, no cracks in dash, NRG quick release/wheel, normal wear/tear everywhere else. Need to get a trunk key for it. Owner lost it. Won't pass smog but I got that handled already. The drivers side door locks but unlocks when I close the door? Gotta take a look at that. Good thing I have the quick release... Only security that cars got really. Only mods are a 3" catback, an aluminum radiator, and some other small stuff. Should be a fun car! Just gotta get a valve cover gasket, valve cover bolts, and that vacuum line for the air intake. Runs fine as is though.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #46
fyneyoungstunna
Zilvia Addict

Just depends on what you want out of your car.
If you want to drift and be in the "in" crowd, get a 240.
The Z can drift just as well, but would not make a good missle.
If you want something you can track/auto-x/drift, and stand out in the sea of most other cars, the 300zx is for you.
If you dont make the dough to have 1 or 2 grand on deck, at all times, for car repair, cant work on cars, or are OK with taking the lazy route when it comes to working on them; then the 240 is for you. The Z will result in catastrophe from shortcuts...
Old 06-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #47
xh3nry
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
xh3nry is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
You and your Camaro talk hahaha
Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #48
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
If it's missing valve cover bolts, lord only knows what other bolts are MIA... Guess whoevers behind you on the highway will find out.

Try closing your door while holding the handle... Had that problem on an olds.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #49
need2speed94
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Just depends on what you want out of your car.
If you want to drift and be in the "in" crowd, get a 240.
The Z can drift just as well, but would not make a good missle.
If you want something you can track/auto-x/drift, and stand out in the sea of most other cars, the 300zx is for you.
If you dont make the dough to have 1 or 2 grand on deck, at all times, for car repair, cant work on cars, or are OK with taking the lazy route when it comes to working on them; then the 240 is for you. The Z will result in catastrophe from shortcuts...
Right now since I'm in college and need my car for work I just want my car to look nice, run good, and be a little fun here and there. The 240 is obviously a more practical car but the Z has some significance in my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xh3nry View Post
You and your Camaro talk hahaha
Haha I know I know, I didn't realize how much I brought it up until that guy quoted all of my replies. Sounds like I was trying to brag... But I wasn't. I don't even have a single picture of it on here lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
If it's missing valve cover bolts, lord only knows what other bolts are MIA... Guess whoevers behind you on the highway will find out.

Try closing your door while holding the handle... Had that problem on an olds.
Haha it's solid besides that.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #50
zneubauer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
zneubauer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Silvia, a lot less expensive to maintain/build/etc..
zneubauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 AM   #51
need2speed94
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zneubauer View Post
Silvia, a lot less expensive to maintain/build/etc..
I picked her up already
Old 06-25-2012, 01:36 AM   #52
fyneyoungstunna
Zilvia Addict

Cant hate on you for your choice. As you said, it mostly boils down to practicality. So if its practical for you then you made the right choice. Now go post pics of both cars so we can see.

Cant hate on Camaros, If it wasnt for the roof line being too low for me to see out of, id have an old one. Plus, how do hate on the car that has the most desirable engine for you drift and drag guys?

p.s. Take my razzing as just that, I wasnt trying to stir shit, just give you guys a lil shit.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 AM   #53
need2speed94
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Cant hate on you for your choice. As you said, it mostly boils down to practicality. So if its practical for you then you made the right choice. Now go post pics of both cars so we can see.

Cant hate on Camaros, If it wasnt for the roof line being too low for me to see out of, id have an old one. Plus, how do hate on the car that has the most desirable engine for you drift and drag guys?

p.s. Take my razzing as just that, I wasnt trying to stir shit, just give you guys a lil shit.
Oh did the links not work? I will try to get the pics/find the ones I had of the Z and I'll post the ones I took of the S13. Yeah dude I can see why Camaro's/Mustang's/Domestics in general get hated on because of how much they weigh... but seriously I don't understand what about the LS1 specifically there is to hate? Peak torque is at 3400, it's all aluminum, it's compact (fits like shit in the Camaro though lol, hated it), the aftermarket seems like you own a Honda... Parts everywhere, respond well to mods, bolt on LS1's can potentially make 350whp. I think the only thing I'd see wrong with an LS1 for drifting is the rod bolts, and the PCV system on some of them. The rod bolts are weak, so you drifters can't molest the rev limiter too much lol... and the PCV system is shit. Sometime's I'd be down almost 1.5 quarts of oil every change (3,000 miles). Just something to consider if you plan to go LS1. Other than that... fantastic motor and I loved it.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #54
need2speed94
Leaky Injector

240SX (Purchased)

Good paint on an 89'... 240SX!? Whaaa!?

Ahh the missing bolts really bother me... I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so I think I'm gonna go to the local import shop and see if they have a wood grain NRG

Old 06-25-2012, 02:20 AM   #55
need2speed94
Leaky Injector

300ZX (CL pics didn't take any when I went to see it)

Pictures make it look cosmetically very nice huh!? Not so much in person -_- It ran strong but man it was an eye sore. Plus there was 340,000 on the chassis. The pain had so many more flaws than you can even begin to see from the pics.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #56
silvia1991
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
silvia1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
S chassis over z!!! Ive had a few friends who seem to fixing another problem on their z every other week lol.
silvia1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #57
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good choice, althou for that much id would have gotten a stockish s14, even better if auto. Looks like they overcharged u silvia taxes there..
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #58
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
Good choice, althou for that much id would have gotten a stockish s14, even better if auto. Looks like they overcharged u silvia taxes there..
This.

OP basically paid for what the owner paid for.

The car has a clean exterior but if I had a choice to go with a 14. I would've taken it -- no problem. Camry life is the best life.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #59
need2speed94
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvia1991 View Post
S chassis over z!!! Ive had a few friends who seem to fixing another problem on their z every other week lol.
Guess it's really preference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
Yeah it was definitely a bit steep but I didn't have time to play games and low ball. And all the 240's around here that are "normal" priced are complete buckets that either don't run or barely run. I needed something quick, but I didn't rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooopreme View Post
This.

OP basically paid for what the owner paid for.

The car has a clean exterior but if I had a choice to go with a 14. I would've taken it -- no problem. Camry life is the best life.
Ehh I agree... most of the time the 14s are in better condition especially auto like he said. But I don't really care for the 14 body styling as much as the 13 and plus the 14's are heavier. And when it comes to a car with a puny little 4 cyl weight really matters for performance lol.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #60
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Quote:
Ehh I agree... most of the time the 14s are in better condition especially auto like he said. But I don't really care for the 14 body styling as much as the 13 and plus the 14's are heavier. And when it comes to a car with a puny little 4 cyl weight really matters for performance lol.
Lol...you absolutely have no idea what you're talking about.

I didn't realize weight difference for a "daily driver" was that important or added more "performance" benefits.

What happened to reliability in your search for a reliable car?

Quote:
But like I said, limited on money, time, need a reliable car for work/college. I was just hoping to find a 240 that was in at least decent condition or up to par in what I want.
You were more worried about looking cool than what you wanted --initially. Besides there are little differences between 13 & 14 DOHC's.

And since we're on the topic of "performance", the 14's got a wider and longer wheel base which is beneficial for "performing". 14's have better weight distribution due to it's gas tank placement also used when "performing".

So back to your initial post, you really chose the better car to squeeze the last ounce of "performance benefits" didn't you?

You're going to end up spending more money on an older S-Chassis than a newer one that was not abused. But hey, it was your money. You over paid, I didn't.