Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
what is te deal with ecu. is there a list of which are obd1 and obd2?

Okay I fried my ecu and i need another one.
I have an obd2 s14. I know this because it is a 96.

the problem is which ecu's are obd2?
and if i am 5speed will a at ecu do the job?
and I also heard that the obd2 starts in the late part of 95 and than in 97 they changed them a lil bit and you have to modify the 97 and 98 ecu to make tem work on a 96 obd2.

point is I have been googleing all this shit for the past few days and cannot find anything. it is driving me crazy. I really need to find this out. because I bought a 96 at ecu from r and d factory and it has yet to arrive and my fried has a ecu that is coded 3t and i want to be sure that it is compatable. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you so much.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
murda-c
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
An OBD1 ecu will work fine. Any s14 ecu after 95 and before 97 will work fine really, you'll just have a check engine light if you use and AT or OBD1 ecu.

It's easiest to use the ecu out of a zenki, because there's no real reason to use one out of a kouki when zenkis are readily available on ebay and the forums. Plus you have to do a little wiring to use one in a 96.

http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/88052...-obd2-ecu.html

see if that one is still for sale.

If you can't find an obd2 one, any zenki will do, but only obd2s will pass emissions.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
illvialuver
Post Whore!

illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
oh so very helpful.
well does anyone know which codes like the t3 or the ca ecu mean?
for example which ones belong to the obd 1 or the obd2s
and which ones are at or 5spd?
is there a print out or a list from nissan?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
murda-c
Post Whore!

murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
I have a list on my laptop...but my battery died.

I'll see if i can find it again.

I think i might have gotten it from NICO or KA-T.org
Old 09-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #5
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
All 95s are OBD-I, but a 96 will work fine. A 97-98 ECU will require repinning of three wires, JWT has a PDF file of what's required. Auto ECU works fine in a manual car. JWT's site also has a full listing of OE numbers for all the Nissan ECUs.

The codes will relate to the ECU, so a 96 will show OBD-II codes, on a generic scanner they start with a 'P'. Refer to the FSM for codes, some changeover form 95 to 96.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #6
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

surreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond repute
1989-1998 240sx: Computer compatibility Tutorial: Nissan Online Mechanic: Nissan Forums / Infiniti Forums - NICOclub
surreybc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #7
illvialuver
Post Whore!

its too bad that when i go on jwt gives me a seizure . that damn black and blue background.

but thanks for the info
very helpful
and its about time this stuff is on zilvia.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #8
murda-c
Post Whore!

http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf...WIRE%20MOD.PDF

There's the pdf from JWT, shows how to use a 95-96 ecu in a 97.

I suppose it would be the reverse of that to use a 97 ecu in a 96.

But it's really not something you ever need to do, cuz nobody tunes 97 ecus, and 95-96 ecus are more common and cheaper.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
illvialuver
Post Whore!

so helpful.
im going off the two letter code not the intire code.
and why are there so many damn ecu's for the 240s?

anyway thanks for all the help. if i cold posi rep this would call for it.
because now i just found out that my friend has the one i need for free, and it will be here in 2 days. i dont have to worry about waiting a week and a half for priority mail from a business when my friend will ship it ad i WILL get it in 2 days.

Last edited by illvialuver; 09-04-2008 at 12:06 AM..